PDA

View Full Version : Damn, i see where Mullen gets it from, he and Urban...

HoopsDawg
12-07-2013, 11:43 PM
think your QB should just be able to take a snap in the shotgun and get you 2 yards. That just doesn't work against quality defenses.

smootness
12-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Worked all the time with Tebow and it works a ton with Dak. Probably the highest % short-yardage play I've ever seen. But you don't run east-west with them, that is for sure, and Mullen doesn't.

sleepy dawg
12-08-2013, 02:41 AM
think your QB should just be able to take a snap in the shotgun and get you 2 yards. That just doesn't work against quality defenses.

I thought the same thing when they did it, needing about a yard at the goal line.

Worked all the time with Tebow and it works a ton with Dak. Probably the highest % short-yardage play I've ever seen. But you don't run east-west with them, that is for sure, and Mullen doesn't.

I've never compared the stats, but surly the qb sneak from under center is the best play when you need about a yard or less. Again, I've never seen any stats on it, but it seems like that play works 95% of the time.

SPMT
12-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Urban and Dan lost to ole miss on that very play on 4th and short. Then Tebow cried.

smootness
12-08-2013, 02:27 PM
I've never compared the stats, but surly the qb sneak from under center is the best play when you need about a yard or less. Again, I've never seen any stats on it, but it seems like that play works 95% of the time.

I haven't either, and you may be right. But the main reason I like Dak in the shotgun better is that it's much harder for anyone to stop a guy who is 6'2"-6'3" and 230+ who has momentum behind him than it is to get push from the DL and either keep the line where it is or move it back.

From the shotgun, the QB has to just follow his OL. So either they get enough push or they don't...if they don't, there's nowhere for you to go. With Dak in the shotgun, he can read a little better, try to find a hole, or if nothing is there just ram it right at somebody and try to knock them backward.

It_Could_Happen
12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Urban and Dan lost to ole miss on that very play on 4th and short. Then Tebow cried.

Dan also beat ole miss on that play...

SPMT
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Dan also beat ole miss on that play...

And lost to Auburn on it.

And Tyler got hammered on every 3rd / 4th and short this year running it until he fumbled into the end zone against Bama.

Looks about 50 / 50 to me at best.

smootness
12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Well, it's certainly not the right play with Tyler Russell.

It's not always going to work. No play will. But I think it's generally our best, most reliable option.