PDA

View Full Version : Picked last in the West by SEC coaches

CaptainObvious
02-08-2024, 06:34 PM
And only 4 points ahead of Missouri in the overall SEC rankings. Is say the coaches think we have a talent deficiency.

magrooder
02-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Nowhere to go but up from there. I hope they are proved wrong, but I don't blame them based off last two years seasons.

sandjunky
02-08-2024, 06:50 PM
Well they are likely right or in the right area code

BeardoMSU
02-08-2024, 07:19 PM
https://youtu.be/d-hDl6OALv4?si=Gy6dwGgpUyMiAomd

And **** them.

Leroy Jenkins
02-08-2024, 07:37 PM
We're probably better than OM, especially on the mound (as strange as that is to say). Outside of them, I don't think we deserve to be ranked ahead of many other teams. This conference is getting crazy competitive top to bottom. There's almost no difference in the middle-third and the bottom-third of the league.

parabrave
02-08-2024, 07:44 PM
Hadad was interviewing a BB writer and they have MSU and OM fighting for last and a new coach.

basedog
02-08-2024, 08:04 PM
Pretty sure most of coaches don’t vote, they let SID or someone else vote. Now in saying this, poll means nothing although we have been last and next to last two years in a row. I’m a want see person.

Leroy Jenkins
02-08-2024, 08:07 PM
Pretty sure most of coaches don’t vote, they let SID or someone else vote. Now in saying this, poll means nothing although we have been last and next to last two years in a row. I’m a want see person.

So you don't think we should cancel the season?

Goldendawg
02-08-2024, 08:26 PM
Well, they also picked us last in football last season and we showed them didn't we? Oh, never mind?***** BTW, I guarantee Lemonis makes Hoover in 2025, (if he's still here), as the tournament format goes to all 16 teams, single elimination. Lemon won our one and only Natty with a bunch of alpha dogs recruited by about 4 other coaches. Since that 14th and 13th in the SEC and didn't even make Hoover. Maybe 12th & Hoover this year. Give him a a decade extension and at this rate we win the SEC***. Just another Cohen hire. (Couldn't back up his big mouth promise of a hire and settled for a mid-tier Big Ten baseball coach from that bastion of baseball tradition and national success, Indiana).

Goldendawg
02-08-2024, 08:44 PM

Whoever voted in the 2023 preseason football poll seemed to have some insight. Just saying.

Coach34
02-08-2024, 08:51 PM
So then- if we end up hosting- he should be up for COY right?

TALL DAWG
02-08-2024, 08:58 PM
As far as preseason predictions go?State is going to be in baseball?what USCe has been thus far in basketball.
Are you all down with that?

CaptainObvious
02-08-2024, 09:49 PM
I'll stick with my point that doesn't matter that State got somewhat better this year IF everybody else also got better. State needed to get significantly better while others got just a tiny little bit better for it to meal anything.

It is like living in the arrowhead of Minnesota in the winter and the temp improves from 36 below zero one day to 10 below zero the next. It is still freaking cold!!!

Coach34
02-08-2024, 09:51 PM
I'll stick with my point that doesn't matter that State got somewhat better this year IF everybody else also got better. State needed to get significantly better while others got just a tiny little bit better for it to meal anything.

I can assure you LSU and Bama arent better than last year. Probably include Tennessee in that group also

CaptainObvious
02-08-2024, 09:53 PM
So then- if we end up hosting- he should be up for COY right?

I'll give you that. If State is a Top 16 seed Hosting, yes, Lemonis should be COY in the SEC. The NC Coach will be National COY.

Lord McBuckethead
02-08-2024, 11:47 PM
We're probably better than OM, especially on the mound (as strange as that is to say). Outside of them, I don't think we deserve to be ranked ahead of many other teams. This conference is getting crazy competitive top to bottom. There's almost no difference in the middle-third and the bottom-third of the league.

Only team I can ever think of to go win a National Championship to complete shit not capitalizing one damn way in the after math.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-09-2024, 07:17 AM

It is like living in the arrowhead of Minnesota in the winter and the temp improves from 36 below zero one day to 10 below zero the next. It is still freaking cold!!!

This is a valid point. Very valid. However, our pitching issues are the thing that can show huge improvement. A lot of teams can’t make that big jump. It’s like having two basketball teams. One shoots 85% from the free throw line and the other shoots 12%. How much improvement can the first team realistically have? Maybe they increase to 86%. But the team that shoots 12% can get a bunch of extra points if they can just get to 50% or 60%. That’s how bad our pitching was. We had games with 10-15 walks issued.

If we improve the pitching, we can make a huge jump.

Coursesuper
02-09-2024, 07:37 AM

Proper outlook.

Offshore Dawg
02-09-2024, 08:11 AM
Based on the last two years why would you expect anything different.

BrunswickDawg
02-09-2024, 08:15 AM
Only team I can ever think of to go win a National Championship to complete shit not capitalizing one damn way in the after math.

Totally ignoring the run we had 2016-2021; where if Covid hadn't intervened we would have had 4 CWS and possibly another title, along with an SEC title? All while transitioning thru 4 different coaches. Other programs would have imploded with what we went through. Instead of imploding we flexed - but it caught up to us as those things tend to do. It sucks and Lemo needs to get it going or get gone.

But, you don't have to look to hard to find a team that didn't capitalize on a Natty - you just have to Hotty Toddy yourself on up the road to find a team that went from Natty to last in the SEC.

smootness
02-09-2024, 08:26 AM
This is a valid point. Very valid. However, our pitching issues are the thing that can show huge improvement. A lot of teams can’t make that big jump. It’s like having two basketball teams. One shoots 85% from the free throw line and the other shoots 12%. How much improvement can the first team realistically have? Maybe they increase to 86%. But the team that shoots 12% can get a bunch of extra points if they can just get to 50% or 60%. That’s how bad our pitching was. We had games with 10-15 walks issued.

Great, and you are still much worse.

Todd4State
02-09-2024, 11:02 PM

I'm confused if you are talking about us or Ole Miss?

Todd4State
02-09-2024, 11:09 PM
This is a valid point. Very valid. However, our pitching issues are the thing that can show huge improvement. A lot of teams can?t make that big jump. It?s like having two basketball teams. One shoots 85% from the free throw line and the other shoots 12%. How much improvement can the first team realistically have? Maybe they increase to 86%. But the team that shoots 12% can get a bunch of extra points if they can just get to 50% or 60%. That?s how bad our pitching was. We had games with 10-15 walks issued.

Our pitching was outlier bad.

The biggest mistake Lemonis made was not firing Foxhall after 2022. Would have been a bit controversial in baseball circles but it was the right move. And if I did give him another year he would have had a really short leash. Honestly, if I did get talked into keeping him I would have fired him after the Frisco Classic and then hired Roy Oswalt as interim PC- which he offered to do by the way after we did fire Foxhall. I would have also made it very clear that we would be going after another PC in the offseason but he would be welcome to stay as an off the field staff member.

I knew that keeping Foxhall would get Lemonis on the hot seat and here we are.

CaptainObvious
02-10-2024, 12:03 AM
Our pitching was outlier bad.

The biggest mistake Lemonis made was not firing Foxhall after 2022. Would have been a bit controversial in baseball circles but it was the right move. And if I did give him another year he would have had a really short leash. Honestly, if I did get talked into keeping him I would have fired him after the Frisco Classic and then hired Roy Oswalt as interim PC- which he offered to do by the way after we did fire Foxhall. I would have also made it very clear that we would be going after another PC in the offseason but he would be welcome to stay as an off the field staff member.

I knew that keeping Foxhall would get Lemonis on the hot seat and here we are.

But down the stretch, Lemonis did take over the pitching decisions. By then the pitchers were toast.

It is amazing how good Foxhall was at North Carolina. It is amazing how good Foxhall was in 2021. He didn't forget how to coach and teach pitching in 1 year. He was given an average to below average staff to work with in 22 and 23. yes there were injuries. But there was no one to step up for those injured pitchers because recruiting had taken a dive instead or an upward curve after the Natty. Our pitchers weren't even Juco quality and we have people in this board claiming they were just mishandled. I call bs. Lemonis got that NC and thought he didn't have to work hard to maintain. He got his crap pushed in back to back years because of lazy recruiting Ala Ron Polk.

Todd4State
02-10-2024, 12:58 AM
But down the stretch, Lemonis did take over the pitching decisions. By then the pitchers were toast.

It is amazing how good Foxhall was at North Carolina. It is amazing how good Foxhall was in 2021. He didn't forget how to coach and teach pitching in 1 year. He was given an average to below average staff to work with in 22 and 23. yes there were injuries. But there was no one to step up for those injured pitchers because recruiting had taken a dive instead or an upward curve after the Natty. Our pitchers weren't even Juco quality and we have people in this board claiming they were just mishandled. I call bs. Lemonis got that NC and thought he didn't have to work hard to maintain. He got his crap pushed in back to back years because of lazy recruiting Ala Ron Polk.

Was he really that good at NC State? He was fired by Auburn before they picked him up. NC State was simply a regional team when Foxhall was there. I think when Foxhall was here early on we had too much talent to screw it up. In all honesty I think our pitching staff could have been better before 2021. His pitching decisions to constantly use Trysten Barlow and Riley Self over Colby White may have cost us a NC during Mangum's senior year. And what would 2021 have been with a fully developed Eric Cerentola and maybe a better pitching coach doesn't let Fristoe hit a wall? I know we won a NC anyway in 2021 but maybe a better pitching coach gets us a SEC Championship and 45+ win regular season to go along with it. He only used Landon Sims once a weekend most weekends and that may have cost us a series or two in SEC play that year.

None of those pitchers on the 2022 team were signed after we won a NC. So there was no NC to "dive off" of at that point. Recruiting isn't the issue. We've been recruiting as well as we always have before or after the NC. We're still consistently a top 10 recruiter. Offense hasn't been an issue. If we're truly lazy why hasn't that taken a huge dive? Defense was bad last year but that's the only time it has ever been an issue so that's wait and see but I think we'll be fine. We're still getting guys drafted- that doesn't happen if your program is lazy and lacks talent.

What I think happened is Foxhall specifically got caught up in the developing velocity movement and basically didn't know what he was doing and forgot about the fundamentals of pitching. Velocity and creating pitches in the lab can certainly co-exist but there has to be a foundation of basic baseball to build off of to maximize it. And it has to be individualized. There's more to it than throw hard up in the zone and get them to swing and miss and then try to get the hitter to chase breaking balls. It can't be that for every pitcher. That style works for Landon Sims and Will Bednar. That style may not work for Eric Cerentola and KC Hunt. In other words Foxhall lost his way and maybe got burned out and now he is in coach recovery mode at Auburn.

Lemonis is a CEO coach. He is not a Tony LaRussa, Joe Maddon, John Cohen type who is going to tinker around with the team and try different things that are outside the box to win. He is going to be successful or not because of his assistants. If they do a good job- he will be successful. If they do not he will be fired. He lets the assistants do their job and he manages the team, makes out the lineup card, and occasionally calls a steal or a hit and run. Nothing too fancy. You're not going to see him selling DVD's on his offensive philosophy or anything like that. It is what it is and if Parker is successful - and I think he will be then we will be OK.

parabrave
02-10-2024, 03:07 AM
I know everyone remembers the pitching debacle the last few years but don't forget the really crappy defense at 3rd, 1st and in the outfield the last few years also. That was on Lemonis

CaptainObvious
02-10-2024, 11:41 AM
I know everyone remembers the pitching debacle the last few years but don't forget the really crappy defense at 3rd, 1st and in the outfield the last few years also. That was on Lemonis

According to some on here that would be on Chesebrough since Lemonis is just the CEO. But I do wonder why in College thruvare called Head Coach but in the professional league they are called Manager? Since Lemonis specializes in CEO/Manager of the Ball Bucket, maybe we need to hire a Head Coach. Hmmmm

The Federalist Engineer
02-10-2024, 03:22 PM
Delete