PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Saturday Starter

Todd4State
02-03-2024, 08:25 PM
Out for the year with a torn UCL.

Not a good way to start a retirement season if you're Bianco.

msstate7
02-03-2024, 08:27 PM
Man, hopefully we stay healthy

Saltydog
02-03-2024, 08:33 PM
Is Elliott going to back this year?

BeardoMSU
02-03-2024, 08:40 PM
Is Elliott going to back this year?

Na

Coach34
02-03-2024, 08:47 PM
awwwww I hate that.

1 of them you usually overcome. 3 of your top 6 like we had in 2022? No way

Homedawg
02-03-2024, 09:45 PM
Out for the year with a torn UCL.

Not a good way to start a retirement season if you're Bianco.

He was going to be there Friday starter

Todd4State
02-03-2024, 10:10 PM
He was going to be there Friday starter

I heard Quinn was their Friday guy. Either way it's a really big blow.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2024, 10:23 PM
I heard Quinn was their Friday guy. Either way it's a really big blow.

Why do you think this is Bianco's last year?

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2024, 12:22 AM
JT Quinn is the son of a MSU player, Tom Quinn. Good player from the 1990s.

I don't recall, someone tell me the last time that MSU had a legacy kid play to expectations?

It's weird, seems something unfortunate usually happens.

Todd4State
02-04-2024, 12:49 AM
Why do you think this is Bianco's last year?

They're not patient and another losing season could push him into "retirement" especially if we return to form.

Plus I believe his kids have grown up now.

Todd4State
02-04-2024, 12:50 AM
JT Quinn is the son of a MSU player, Tom Quinn. Good player from the 1990s.

I don't recall, someone tell me the last time that MSU had a legacy kid play to expectations?

It's weird, seems something unfortunate usually happens.

Barry Patton.

I'd probably take Quinn in the portal if we get the opportunity assuming he has a good year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-04-2024, 08:58 AM
If Biano misses Hoover, he's definitely gone. If he misses the NCAAT, there will be pressure from the admin to retire. We have a coach that missed Hoover back to back seasons and we went "A new PC is all we need!"

OM takes themselves seriously, we do not

Todd4State
02-04-2024, 09:14 AM
If Biano misses Hoover, he's definitely gone. If he misses the NCAAT, there will be pressure from the admin to retire. We have a coach that missed Hoover back to back seasons and we went "A new PC is all we need!"

OM takes themselves seriously, we do not

All we needed was a pitching coach. If Ole Miss fires Bianco- and they won't they'll make it look like a resignation- then you'll see how foolish you would have looked.

Activated Alpha
02-04-2024, 01:00 PM
I honestly felt like Bianco should have retired after he achieved his natty. He deserved it. I want OM's baseball program to wander off into the fiery abyss, but wish Bianco wasn't at the helm when it happens

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-04-2024, 03:37 PM
All we needed was a pitching coach. If Ole Miss fires Bianco- and they won't they'll make it look like a resignation- then you'll see how foolish you would have looked.

YOu keep repeating this as if we didnt' the the worst SEC defense and sub average SEC offense last year despite Lemo having above average SEC recruiting and resources...

BeardoMSU
02-04-2024, 03:50 PM
I want OM's baseball program to wander off into the fiery abyss, but wish Bianco wasn't at the helm when it happens

Why? Screw him.

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2024, 05:07 PM
I honestly felt like Bianco should have retired after he achieved his natty. He deserved it. I want OM's baseball program to wander off into the fiery abyss, but wish Bianco wasn't at the helm when it happens

I care about Bianco as much as I care about Bin Laden. F'em.

Activated Alpha
02-04-2024, 09:08 PM
Why? Screw him.

Why though? He's a respectable coach at an un-respectable program. I hate OM with a burning passion, but I can recognize that Bianco is of genuine good character unless I have missed something. Now if he was of Matt Luke caliber then yes **** him

Todd4State
02-04-2024, 10:36 PM
YOu keep repeating this as if we didnt' the the worst SEC defense and sub average SEC offense last year despite Lemo having above average SEC recruiting and resources...

Sub average offense? We finished in the top 5-6 in batting average, OBP, and slugging percentage in the league out of 14 teams. Not the best ever but certainly not THE issue. Especially given how many times they bailed out the pitching staff- see our two biggest wins last year which were comebacks against Ole Miss and LSU. And we return most of those hitters minus Alford and Ledbetter. Should be as good or better than last year and we have two of the most dangerous hitters in the league in Hunter Hines and Dakota Jordan.

We addressed defense in the offseason as it mainly three positions that were the culprit. 3B, SS, and C. Well, we added three new catchers and Highfill has another year of experience and we also have new 3B and SS. I'd be surprised if we're not better there. Defense is also one of the least reliable stats the way the SEC ranks defenses. It's based on score keeper judgement which can vary. I'm not saying we weren't bad- I'm just saying you can correlate fielding percentage to winning. LSU finished 12th in the SEC in defense.

All we needed was a functional pitching staff. You can not win with an ERA over 7 and over 9 in SEC play. We're not even asking Parker for a miracle. We just want an ERA of 5 or better. That would have gotten us in to postseason play the last years with hitting and defense remaining the same.

Todd4State
02-04-2024, 10:37 PM
Why though? He's a respectable coach at an un-respectable program. I hate OM with a burning passion, but I can recognize that Bianco is of genuine good character unless I have missed something. Now if he was of Matt Luke caliber then yes **** him

Bianco is a good person who is not a friend of MSU- I'll just leave it at that.

Coach34
02-04-2024, 10:48 PM
Highfill likely wont be the catcher in 2024. He is injured

Todd4State
02-05-2024, 12:26 AM

Well that makes sense as to why he was in the OF yesterday. I was wondering if something was up. Johnny Long and Joe Powell are good pick ups though- not sure not having Highfill at catcher will be a huge issue other than it affecting his development. Might actually affect the OF and MIF more honestly. If Highfill DH's then it's going to be hard to get Larry, Mershon, and Cupp in the lineup at the same time. Bryce Chance is a good player and should start. But we can't just stick Larry or Highfill in the OF without sitting one of Chance or Hujsack. We aren't sitting Dakota obviously.

CaptainObvious
02-05-2024, 12:39 AM
D1 baseball ranks Larry the 10th best college 2nd baseman (not pro prospect) in 2024, and may be playing in the outfield but leading off in the order.

They also rank Hunter Hines the 8th best 1st baseman for 2024.

The Federalist Engineer
02-05-2024, 01:47 AM

So he has a catcher-only injury but can play other positions?

He better hit better then. Last year, he hit well enough to catch. Especially versus the known roster competition at catcher.

Larry can hit +300 (overall) for sure with mid-level power. He might even hit in the 340-350 (overall) range with his experience level.

Chance can hit +350 in Out-of-Conference and we'll see how good he hits in the SEC with his new level of experience. Chance was not mauled by SEC pitching like Highfill.

The Federalist Engineer
02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
Sub average offense? We finished in the top 5-6 in batting average, OBP, and slugging percentage in the league out of 14 teams. Not the best ever but certainly not THE issue. Especially given how many times they bailed out the pitching staff- see our two biggest wins last year which were comebacks against Ole Miss and LSU. And we return most of those hitters minus Alford and Ledbetter. Should be as good or better than last year and we have two of the most dangerous hitters in the league in Hunter Hines and Dakota Jordan.

We addressed defense in the offseason as it mainly three positions that were the culprit. 3B, SS, and C. Well, we added three new catchers and Highfill has another year of experience and we also have new 3B and SS. I'd be surprised if we're not better there. Defense is also one of the least reliable stats the way the SEC ranks defenses. It's based on score keeper judgement which can vary. I'm not saying we weren't bad- I'm just saying you can correlate fielding percentage to winning. LSU finished 12th in the SEC in defense.

All we needed was a functional pitching staff. You can not win with an ERA over 7 and over 9 in SEC play. We're not even asking Parker for a miracle. We just want an ERA of 5 or better. That would have gotten us in to postseason play the last years with hitting and defense remaining the same.

SEC only stats:

2023: 9th in BA, 3rd in SLG, 10th in OBP, 10th in runs scored.

Ninth in the conference with 14 team is basically Slightly-below average. That's with SEC teams cruising on MSU, the Dudes led the league in Run-Rules against.

Todd4State
02-05-2024, 08:39 PM
SEC only stats:

2023: 9th in BA, 3rd in SLG, 10th in OBP, 10th in runs scored.

Ninth in the conference with 14 team is basically Slightly-below average. That's with SEC teams cruising on MSU, the Dudes led the league in Run-Rules against.

Getting run rules likely affected how many runs we scored in SEC play some. So again not the main issue when our SEC only ERA was over 9.

Homedawg
02-05-2024, 08:44 PM

He definitely has an injury. Can't confirm what the present status is. But we didnt bring another catcher for any other reason than protection. I don't expect him to catch first weekend

Lord McBuckethead
02-05-2024, 08:59 PM
I care about Bianco as much as I care about Bin Laden. F'em.

Yeah, that is a bit much.

Todd4State
02-05-2024, 09:47 PM
He definitely has an injury. Can't confirm what the present status is. But we didnt bring another catcher for any other reason than protection. I don't expect him to catch first weekend

He hit a home run today so that's certainly positive.

Coach34
02-05-2024, 11:35 PM
He hit a home run today so that's certainly positive.

I would guess he would DH awhile and maybe he recovers to get back behind the plate at some point. If not I would question why something else wasnt done when the injury was discovered

confucius say
02-06-2024, 10:07 PM
I would guess he would DH awhile and maybe he recovers to get back behind the plate at some point. If not I would question why something else wasnt done when the injury was discovered

We did. That's why we got Powell in January.

Coach34
02-07-2024, 09:03 AM
We did. That's why we got Powell in January.

I mean in relation to his ailment