PDA

View Full Version : Baseball scrimmage

bigbub50
02-02-2024, 07:13 PM
Anybody got any details on todays scrimmage?

Coach34
02-02-2024, 08:58 PM
Waiting on an update myself but holy crap- heard we had No Chance at 2B today. Holy crap

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 09:17 PM
Waiting on an update myself but holy crap- heard we had No Chance at 2B today. Holy crap

It's a scrimmage.

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Pitchers looked good today. We pitched our better guys. Holcombe, Loo, Siary, Dohm, Stephens.

Sounds like we're making progress and things were a lot cleaner today. Scrimmages are BS so I don't ever read anything too much into them but if we're playing cleaner baseball that's all I can ask for as a fan at this point.

Really wish college baseball had a 4-5 game preseason where we play Delta State or someone like that and the games don't count on the record. Would give teams an opportunity to play live competition where you can learn a little more.

Coach34
02-02-2024, 09:22 PM
It's a scrimmage.

I wouldnt put No Chance at 2B during BP

Coach34
02-02-2024, 09:25 PM
Really wish college baseball had a 4-5 game preseason where we play Delta State or someone like that and the games don't count on the record. Would give teams an opportunity to play live competition where you can learn a little more.

agree- a couple of Spring Training games for college. Same for football like they have a jamboree in HS. Play 2 quarters to get guys used to playing conditions in football

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 09:28 PM
agree- a couple of Spring Training games for college. Same for football like they have a jamboree in HS. Play 2 quarters to get guys used to playing conditions in football

I agree with that too for football. Could bring in a SWAC team or something like that. Maybe a full game though. The NFL has a preseason for a reason. Sure their preseason is too long and it's a cash grab but I get your point.

Homedawg
02-03-2024, 12:10 AM

Chance is the lf. We are just covering all options. We have 2 2b. Mershon and Larry.

Homedawg
02-03-2024, 12:12 AM
I wouldnt put No Chance at 2B during BP

I think it's more to give him a chance at the next level as well. He can't play in the of w his offensive power numbers. Just a thought

SPDawgs
02-03-2024, 11:19 AM
pitching looked improved. At least I am hoping it was the pitching improving and not the hitting regressing. Only two errors which is okay however they both came at third base we are all tired off. Brooks Khal Stephen and Siray looked good on the bump. If Kohler starts at 3rd i think we're okay

bigbub50
02-03-2024, 12:50 PM
Augers numbers yesterday from somebody on twitter. Non verified

3 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 R, 5 K

PMDawg
02-03-2024, 01:59 PM

Great. Gonna be a long season at the plate.**

The Federalist Engineer
02-03-2024, 02:17 PM

Great to have him back. He was as good as Dohm and a top level SEC middle reliever before injury.

The Federalist Engineer
02-03-2024, 02:33 PM
Pitchers looked good today. We pitched our better guys. Holcombe, Loo, Siary, Dohm, Stephens.

Sounds like we're making progress and things were a lot cleaner today. Scrimmages are BS so I don't ever read anything too much into them but if we're playing cleaner baseball that's all I can ask for as a fan at this point.

Go to Puerto Rico to play and train with minor league teams. Just have 18 mixed players on 2 teams. Would be fun to play a weekend series like that.

Todd4State
02-03-2024, 03:45 PM
Go to Puerto Rico to play and train with minor league teams. Just have 18 mixed players on 2 teams. Would be fun to play a weekend series like that.

Interesting idea. I know basketball goes overseas to play games in the summer.

CaptainObvious
02-05-2024, 12:43 AM
When should we see a roster entered into Hail State Baseball? February 18???

sandjunky
02-10-2024, 07:08 PM
Today
Mershon and Dotson injured

Coach34
02-10-2024, 07:25 PM
waiting to hear how bad with Mershon....that would be terrible news

sandjunky
02-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Yep
He?s a dirtbag
I like dirtbag types

HoopsDawg
02-10-2024, 08:06 PM

especially b/c Cupp didn't play the field either.

I think Dotson is fine.

Anyone know when highfill will be able to catch? I would love for us to use someone else at DH.

Coach34
02-10-2024, 08:31 PM
Anyone know when highfill will be able to catch? I would love for us to use someone else at DH.

lingering arm issue that hasnt gotten better yet. No idea

Cooterpoot
02-10-2024, 09:53 PM

He may lose that spot. Powell has looked good. I won't be surprised if Powell takes it at some point.

Pinto
02-10-2024, 10:13 PM
Mershon said it was fine and he will be ready to go

Commercecomet24
02-10-2024, 10:15 PM
He may lose that spot. Powell has looked good. I won't be surprised if Powell takes it at some point.

Powell is better defensively at this point, Highfill has a better bat and more upside but Powell has looked dang good.

Commercecomet24
02-10-2024, 10:16 PM
Mershon said it was fine and he will be ready to go

Yeah I think mershon is a throwback. I don't think you could keep him off the field unless he has a bone sticking out.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2024, 11:35 PM
lingering arm issue that hasnt gotten better yet. No idea

What's the word on Ligon?

Cooterpoot
02-10-2024, 11:53 PM
Powell is better defensively at this point, Highfill has a better bat and more upside but Powell has looked dang good.

Highfill will lead or be 2nd in Ks (Hines) and won't hit over .250 IMO. He might hit 15 bombs but he wasn't great with the bat in the summer or fall really. It's HR or bust for him. Lingering health issues don't help obviously.

Cooterpoot
02-10-2024, 11:54 PM

Nobody really knows I don't think.

CaptainObvious
02-11-2024, 12:04 AM
Please please please don't let Ligon be another Walling.

TNDawg35
02-11-2024, 12:48 AM

This is what bothers me with Foxhall. How many big time arms did he not improve at all while he was on campus? Hunt, Cade (was good, but could have been really good), Walling, Cerentola, Fristoe, Walker... Seems a lot of arms either regressed or stayed the same. They never really got any better. I would have loved to see what Cerentola would have been with some development. He had a huge arm and at times would look lights out, then couldn't hit the broad side of the barn in the next inning.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-11-2024, 06:33 AM
Anyone got a roster?

viverlibre
02-11-2024, 12:37 PM
Anyone got a roster?

No, but a bunch of laying hens.

The Federalist Engineer
02-11-2024, 03:13 PM

Ligon did an interview for Hail State ... he is probably not ready to help us day-1. He was injured last summer, had a rehab Fall and is now getting full strength. At Miami he was a decent weekend starter with lots of underclassman experience. As a HS recruit, he has blue chip pedigree like a Cade Smith. He's getting drafted this summer.

Sounds like he will be eased into the season. Success would be that he becomes an SEC starter or SEC long relief at some point this season.

Ligon has D1 innings for a successful program in a big conference. If he struggles Walling-Style, it's the injury, not the head.

Todd4State
02-11-2024, 03:20 PM
Ligon did an interview for Hail State ... he is probably not ready to help us day-1. He was injured last summer, had a rehab Fall and is now getting full strength. At Miami he was a decent weekend starter with lots of underclassman experience. As a HS recruit, he has blue chip pedigree like a Cade Smith. He's getting drafted this summer.

Sounds like he will be eased into the season. Success would be that he becomes an SEC starter or SEC long relief at some point this season.

Ligon has D1 innings for a successful program in a big conference. If he struggles Walling-Style, it's the injury, not the head.

He's going to have to show MLB he is healthy.