PDA

View Full Version : Power TWO Latest

coachnorm
02-02-2024, 03:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ZOuAcyvEo

Just some latest talk about the POWER 2 as declared by this link. Both the SEC and BIG commissioners have met to discuss the future of the conferences. The link has discussed the 40 team super league which simply means two 20 team conferences. I believe that FSU will have a toxic relationship with Disney/ESPN and will somehow bolt to the BIG. I believe that something is happening behind the scene with another Southern school going to the BIG also. If this come to fruition, expect to 12 team play-off to be relegated to NIT status.

SEC Super Conference (20 Teams)

SEC East--------- SEC North

South Carolina--- Tennessee
Clemson--------- Kentucky
Georgia---------- Vanderbilt *(Subject to Relegation)
Miami------------ NC State
Florida----------- North Carolina

SEC South------- SEC West

Mississippi St---- LSU
Ole Miss---------- Arkansas
Missouri---------- Texas
Alabama--------- Texas A&M
Auburn----------- Oklahoma

BIG 10 Super Conference (20 Teams)

BIG 10 East----------------------------- Big 10 North

Maryland----------------------------------- Minnesota
Penn St------------------------------------ Wisconsin
Noter Dame-------------------------------- Michigan St.
Rutgers * (Subject to Relegation)----------------------- Michigan
Florida St.---------------------------------- Ohio St.

Big 10 South---------- Big 10 West

NWestern-------- USC
Iowa ------------ UCLA
Illinois----------- Oregon
Perdue----------- Washington
Indiana---------- Nebraska

Super Conference Scheduling Rules for SEC and BIG

Games 9-12 will be played against division opponents
Games 4-8 will be played against a rotating division every 3 yrs
Game 3 will be a rival game or second rival if in 3 yrs rotation
Game 2 will be a conference close geographical game
Game 1 will be a non-conference game SEC vs BIG 10

Play OFF Rules

Simply each 20-team conference will have division winners eliminate each other and the SEC plays the BIG 10 for National Championship.

Any non-division winner can participate in a bowl game or NIT tournament outside the National Championship within the Power 2.

Quaoarsking
02-02-2024, 03:34 PM
Make it 2 leagues of 24 and you've basically got every relevant power team in there.

You could also do some kind of promotion/relegation with an ACC/Big 12 tier, but it would be pretty dangerous for us to support that (although we would generally be safe in the top 48 even in a down year. I don't think we would have been relegated since the Croom Era)

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 03:36 PM
I think you're pretty close to right about what is going to happen. I might switch LSU and Mizzou as far as divisions go but that's about it.

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 03:37 PM
Make it 2 leagues of 24 and you've basically got every relevant power team in there.

You could also do some kind of promotion/relegation with an ACC/Big 12 tier, but it would be pretty dangerous for us to support that (although we would generally be safe in the top 48 even in a down year. I don't think we would have been relegated since the Croom Era)

That makes sense because then you could have nice and tidy six team divisions.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-02-2024, 04:44 PM
Would be the end of SMTTT

BuckyIsAB****
02-02-2024, 05:06 PM
Hurry up and make it happen. I will support whatever league is not the NIL Portal league

gtowndawg
02-02-2024, 05:30 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExd3lkdnUwMzJxbzRnMml6M2xscWxvMWU 2eDBiZHl3NTZlbHNiN3c2YiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/3oKIPlLZEbEbacWqOc/giphy.gif

Dawgology
02-02-2024, 06:30 PM
Hurry up and make it happen. I will support whatever league is not the NIL Portal league
This

coachnorm
02-02-2024, 08:00 PM
https://x.com/On3sports/status/1753472346969588187?s=20

Joint Resolution to separate from the NCAA and do it themselves?

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 09:26 PM
Would be the end of SMTTT

That happened 20 years ago.

PGHBulldogBG
02-03-2024, 07:58 AM
I agree having 2 leagues of 24 teams would be best. That would pretty much keep all the major teams in the big 2 conferences and then have the 12 team playoff. The top 2 teams in each conference get the bye week

TALL DAWG
02-03-2024, 10:25 AM
Anyway we can get in the Big 10 South division. Asking for friends?.:) 😂

coachnorm
02-03-2024, 10:41 AM
I agree having 2 leagues of 24 teams would be best. That would pretty much keep all the major teams in the big 2 conferences and then have the 12 team playoff. The top 2 teams in each conference get the bye week

I believe that 20 teams per conference will be the benchmark. Also, I believe that Vanderbilt and Rutgers are at risk so another quality team can occupy 2 of the 40 coveted spots. The play-offs will not draw big viewership while the NFL is in their play-offs so extending into the NFL scope of influence will not net a return of investment. 8 teams that include 8 division champions played earlier in the calendar year will get NFL quality viewership and a good return of investment. This helps avoid players leaving thru the portal, they can play a post season game before enrolling to new school.

Quaoarsking
02-03-2024, 11:04 AM
I sure don't like the precedent of kicking out Rutgers and Vanderbilt.

If it's a organization promotion-and-relegation system like in European soccer, well I still don't love it, but I could potentially get behind it. But if it's just a closed 40-team league, I definitely wouldn't like the idea of just booting less prestigious members to take in others.

coachnorm
02-03-2024, 11:56 AM
I sure don't like the precedent of kicking out Rutgers and Vanderbilt.

If it's a organization promotion-and-relegation system like in European soccer, well I still don't love it, but I could potentially get behind it. But if it's just a closed 40-team league, I definitely wouldn't like the idea of just booting less prestigious members to take in others.

If the BIG and SEC organizations met to map out their futures thru the Power Two, they want value to get max money thru the networks. No one else was invited. That means upper tiered games to generate that money. Scrub games are a non asset. In that scenario Vanderbilt and Rutgers are a hindrance and not an asset in the P2 so it is time to set the baseline while establishing the new P2?

Quaoarsking
02-03-2024, 12:21 PM
If the BIG and SEC organizations met to map out their futures thru the Power Two, they want value to get max money thru the networks. No one else was invited. That means upper tiered games to generate that money. Scrub games are a non asset. In that scenario Vanderbilt and Rutgers are a hindrance and not an asset in the P2 so it is time to set the baseline while establishing the new P2?

I guess what I'm getting at is that if they established a precedent that they'll kick out Vanderbilt and Rutgers, what if they decide to kick us out at some point down the road? Mullen and Leach (and Morehead too, honestly) had us consistently as a top 40-48 program so I wouldn't be worried today, but who knows what the future holds?

Maroonthirteen
02-03-2024, 12:38 PM
If the B1G and SEC split from the ncaa, that not solve any of the NIL and Portal issues. Courts have ruled players can collect NIL. Courts have ruled that players can transfer whenever they want. A new league would have to adopt rules to allow nil and unlimited transfer or get sued just like the ncaa.

The ncaa had a right model. Greedy, unscrupulous people screwed it up with the help of the courts.

Maroonthirteen
02-03-2024, 12:42 PM
In my opinion, the B1G has the right idea. The sec seems to be adding teams just to add them. The future of TV contracts is having interesting games to attract viewers.

Florida State v whomever in the sec. Miami vs whomever in the sec. Those are much more interesting games with national appeal rather than Missouri, UNC and NCSt v whomever in the sec.

Todd4State
02-03-2024, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't be totally shocked if they kept those two so they could say "See! We're still about academics!" Your model may very well include Duke and Wake Forest so there is a chance they wouldn't be totally left out. And they would definitely want Duke for their basketball.

Coursesuper
02-03-2024, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't be totally shocked if they kept those two so they could say "See! We're still about academics!" Your model may very well include Duke and Wake Forest so there is a chance they wouldn't be totally left out. And they would definitely want Duke for their basketball.

I’m sorry but that is just wishful thinking, the model now is all about eyeballs on screens. If the product that is put on the field isn’t up to measure then the risk of relegation is real. It’s even more real if said institution doesn’t draw those same eyes alone, they will be replaced by another institution quickly.

Maroonthirteen
02-03-2024, 06:12 PM
I’m sorry but that is just wishful thinking, the model now is all about eyeballs on screens. If the product that is put on the field isn’t up to measure then the risk of relegation is real. It’s even more real if said institution doesn’t draw those same eyes alone, they will be replaced by another institution quickly.

Yep. ESPN, cbs nor the courts have given one damn to academics.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-03-2024, 06:13 PM
The NFL lite of 2 super conferences has been predicted for years. It's so obvious. Big conferences poach the richest teams from the other conferences. No more profit sharing TV money with teams nobody wants to watch. The rich get richer.

We might get dragged along by association, but to what end? These super conferences are just LSU/BAma/FLorida/OSU/PSU/MIchigan/USC etc trying to consolidate money and power. the new "power TWO" will exist to serve them, not us, not competitive balance. We will make more money, but we won't be competing with the best, and if you hate now NIL you DAMNED sure will hate what it is once the "power 2" write the rules.

Coursesuper
02-03-2024, 06:27 PM
The NFL lite of 2 super conferences has been predicted for years. It's so obvious. Big conferences poach the richest teams from the other conferences. No more profit sharing TV money with teams nobody wants to watch. The rich get richer.

We might get dragged along by association, but to what end? These super conferences are just LSU/BAma/FLorida/OSU/PSU/MIchigan/USC etc trying to consolidate money and power. the new "power TWO" will exist to serve them, not us, not competitive balance. We will make more money, but we won't be competing with the best, and if you hate now NIL you DAMNED sure will hate what it is once the "power 2" write the rules.

^^^ this.

The Federalist Engineer
02-05-2024, 08:08 AM
Anyway we can get in the Big 10 South division. Asking for friends?.:) 😂

Champs every year in the Big 10 South

But SEC south is last place 5 to 6 times per decade. 4th place on "Special Years".

The Federalist Engineer
02-05-2024, 08:46 AM
Yep. ESPN, cbs nor the courts have given one damn to academics.

"Academics? Academics! You're talking Academics!"

I could see a Joe Mora screaming this in a press conference