PDA

View Full Version : Purcell is a better recruiter than Jans hands down and right now is the better Coach

99jc
02-01-2024, 10:00 PM
The women were tired, and it was a letdown game after LSU but Purcell willed them to a win. 17-21 on the free throw line Was the difference the men would have shit the bed!

preachermatt83
02-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Not saying you’re wrong, but Kentucky is a horrible wbb team

maroonmania
02-01-2024, 10:06 PM
Not saying you’re wrong, but Kentucky is a horrible wbb team

True, but Purcell has the women with multiple good true road wins. The men have zero true road wins.

YazooDawg23
02-01-2024, 10:08 PM
Douche bag thread

msstate7
02-01-2024, 10:09 PM
Douche bag thread

^^^^

Coach34
02-01-2024, 10:32 PM
comparing girls basketball to men's basketball is like comparing East Rankin Academy vs Brandon HS

maroonmania
02-01-2024, 11:54 PM
Probably should just enjoy the fact that both teams are likely going to make the NCAA tournament. That being said, I will be surprised if either makes it out of the first weekend. Biggest disappointment on the men's side is that this was supposed to be a true up year and we will still likely be in the bottom half of the SEC standings. All signs point to us falling back significantly next year unless Jans get some major pulls from the portal.

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 12:56 AM
I think both guys are good coaches. Purcell may save the women's basketball program which let's face- looked like it was going to go down significantly under Nikkie McCray.

It just seems like Men's basketball is stuck in this limbo where we're basically NIT/First round range and we're having trouble taking the next step. And I can't figure out the constant stuggle to shoot free throws?

SPMT
02-02-2024, 01:39 AM
comparing girls basketball to men's basketball is like comparing East Rankin Academy vs Brandon HS

☝️

Love the fact some get into women?s ball, but I personally dont see them as being comparable. The entertainment value isn?t the same and I don?t know many who give a 17 about women?s sports. Happy they win but not worth the money to watch.

99jc
02-02-2024, 06:57 AM

or C34 with Nick Saban

99jc
02-02-2024, 06:58 AM
Douche bag thread

Sorry you feel that way Jans!

Hot Rock
02-02-2024, 08:23 AM
☝️

Love the fact some get into women?s ball, but I personally dont see them as being comparable. The entertainment value isn?t the same and I don?t know many who give a 17 about women?s sports. Happy they win but not worth the money to watch.

Then why click on the thread? Just go away

Saltydog
02-02-2024, 09:17 AM
He's not comparing men's basketball to women's basketball. He's comparing the quality and success of the coaches.

msstate7
02-02-2024, 09:29 AM
He's not comparing men's basketball to women's basketball. He's comparing the quality and success of the coaches.

He created a thread to attempt to run down Jans and our men's team.

Our men's team has played 1 sec game vs a team with a NET less than #58, and they won by 13. Kentucky WBK net is #161, which makes them the worst team in the sec. Sick burn by OP

Quaoarsking
02-02-2024, 09:33 AM
Why compare them? They both took over programs not projected to make the tournament in year 1 but got them there anyway, and they both look to be on their way to making it in year 2 also, this time without playing in the "First Four." Time may tell if one is better than the other, but right now they've both done well.

PGHBulldogBG
02-02-2024, 09:34 AM
I don’t follow women’s basketball close enough to know if Purcells recruiting is matching his results. I know Jans did a great job last year considering we were picked near the bottom of the SEC and made the tournament. This year has been a decent year considering our schedule and we are still slotted for the dance. We will learn a lot about how Jans does with this team during the last 9 games. If he can go 6-3 then we will be dancing and all is good. If not it will be a disappointment considering we returned almost our entire team and added Hubbard. Of course in normal State fashion we finally get a really good coach and then Ole Miss gets Beard falling in their lap. It’s evident whenever OM has success in a sport and takes off quicker than we do our fans are a lot more critical of our current coach. It happens with Kiffin and Leach until the 2022 Egg Bowl. It is just the way it is and I’m convinced that is the main measuring stick our fans judge coaches on. With all that being said let’s not forget we had Rick Ray and then Howland who severely underachieved year after year. Last year was the first year since probably 2004 we over achieved in hoops. Jans has done a good job and if he gets us to 9-9 and into the dance that is the most important thing. I am certainly not ready to give up on him just because we lost a bunch of quad 1 SEC games mostly on the road. Now I will say the Southern loss is still inexcusable and the only thing that would make up for that would be a road win Saturday. That was ridiculous and absolutely baffling

Commercecomet24
02-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Why compare them? They both took over programs not projected to make the tournament in year 1 but got them there anyway, and they both look to be on their way to making it in year 2 also, this time without playing in the "First Four." Time may tell if one is better than the other, but right now they've both done well.

This post is dead on accurate!

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 10:09 AM
I don’t follow women’s basketball close enough to know if Purcells recruiting is matching his results. I know Jans did a great job last year considering we were picked near the bottom of the SEC and made the tournament. This year has been a decent year considering our schedule and we are still slotted for the dance. We will learn a lot about how Jans does with this team during the last 9 games. If he can go 6-3 then we will be dancing and all is good. If not it will be a disappointment considering we returned almost our entire team and added Hubbard. Of course in normal State fashion we finally get a really good coach and then Ole Miss gets Beard falling in their lap. It’s evident whenever OM has success in a sport and takes off quicker than we do our fans are a lot more critical of our current coach. It happens with Kiffin and Leach until the 2022 Egg Bowl. It is just the way it is and I’m convinced that is the main measuring stick our fans judge coaches on. With all that being said let’s not forget we had Rick Ray and then Howland who severely underachieved year after year. Last year was the first year since probably 2004 we over achieved in hoops. Jans has done a good job and if he gets us to 9-9 and into the dance that is the most important thing. I am certainly not ready to give up on him just because we lost a bunch of quad 1 SEC games mostly on the road. Now I will say the Southern loss is still inexcusable and the only thing that would make up for that would be a road win Saturday. That was ridiculous and absolutely baffling

If we split with Ole Miss which we probably will then I guess things will be back to OK with those people.

That's how I suspect this plays out.

Tbonewannabe
02-02-2024, 11:48 AM

That Southern loss drove me crazy. We looked slow that whole game compared to Southern. I didn't know how bad Southern was until I got back from the game and looked at the stats.

Commercecomet24
02-02-2024, 01:48 PM
If we split with Ole Miss which we probably will then I guess things will be back to OK with those people.

That's how I suspect this plays out.

I agree. And the ebb and flow of State fans and our teams is always a roller coaster, up one minute, down the next. Got to put everything in perspective. Both basketball teams are good, not great, but they play with effort and intensity. If you take an overview of everything and not just ride on one game it makes it so much easier to enjoy the teams.

maroonmania
02-02-2024, 02:05 PM
He created a thread to attempt to run down Jans and our men's team.

Our men's team has played 1 sec game vs a team with a NET less than #58, and they won by 13. Kentucky WBK net is #161, which makes them the worst team in the sec. Sick burn by OP

Well, just to lay it our there, we also lost to GA Tech (129) and Southern (219), granted without Tolu but still losses. I don't want to run down Jans at all, he is certainly an upgrade from Howland wrt Xs and Os coaching. But while we are a good team this year, I think a lot of us thought we would be a really good team and we aren't.
'. The primary reason we aren't is we aren't playing defense consistently like we did last year, especially on the road, and Im not sure why. If we were, we would be really good, because offensively we have improved some. Also, there are concerns about his recruiting and in that area Purcell does appear to have a leg up. Very concerned for the years going forward unless Jans' recruiting gets going with all of what we lose after this season. Don't know where we would be now if Hubbard hadn't fell in our lap after Davis was fired.

As far as comparing sports, after football, I had rather watch college baseball than men's or women's basketball but that's just me. Across the country in terms of viewing popularity it's football, men's BB and then women's BB in that order. So we can crap on the women's BB team all we want buts it's still the 3rd most popular college sport out there.

NCMSTFAN
02-02-2024, 02:56 PM

Ehh that's a stretch, alot of people enjoy the women's game just as much as the men's game. I am assuming you are 55 years old or older because that's an old school mentality and how people spoke years ago about women sports. Whether you like it or not the women's game has grown and will continue to grow, numbers show it and their skill level has gotten alot better. If you don't like it, why continue to post about it? Just ignore the threads.

NCMSTFAN
02-02-2024, 02:57 PM
Well, just to lay it our there, we also lost to GA Tech (129) and Southern (219), granted without Tolu but still losses. I don't want to run down Jans at all, he is certainly an upgrade from Howland wrt Xs and Os coaching. But while we are a good team this year, I think a lot of us thought we would be a really good team and we aren't.
'. The primary reason we aren't is we aren't playing defense consistently like we did last year, especially on the road, and Im not sure why. If we were, we would be really good, because offensively we have improved some. Also, there are concerns about his recruiting and in that area Purcell does appear to have a leg up. Very concerned for the years going forward unless Jans' recruiting gets going with all of what we lose after this season. Don't know where we would be now if Hubbard hadn't fell in our lap after Davis was fired.

As far as comparing sports, after football, I had rather watch college baseball than men's or women's basketball but that's just me. Across the country in terms of viewing popularity it's football, men's BB and then women's BB in that order. So we can crap on the women's BB team all we want buts it's still the 3rd most popular popular college sport out there.

That says it all right there.. Good post

MsuDawg_10
02-02-2024, 05:30 PM
Fan splitting between our sports in not a healthy thing for the board or community. If you are a fan of MSU, you should be a fan of all the sports programs and root for their success. It's sad to get on here and see ppl trying to tear down any of our programs for whatever reasons. Both the Men's and Woman's teams are on track to make the Tourney...and not be on the bubble. It's nice to have two coaches who care about their players and also the Fanbase as a whole!

Coach34
02-02-2024, 08:56 PM
Ehh that's a stretch, alot of people enjoy the women's game just as much as the men's game. I am assuming you are 55 years old or older because that's an old school mentality and how people spoke years ago about women sports. Whether you like it or not the women's game has grown and will continue to grow, numbers show it and their skill level has gotten alot better. If you don't like it, why continue to post about it? Just ignore the threads.

No- its just easier to coach in the girls league than it is the men's. Thats why there is such a huge divide in their sport still today. The competition level drops off a cliff in the girls game after Quad 1

Purcell is doing a good job and that's great. Let's just dont act like he is damn Rick Pitino

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 09:21 PM
Fan splitting between our sports in not a healthy thing for the board or community. If you are a fan of MSU, you should be a fan of all the sports programs and root for their success. It's sad to get on here and see ppl trying to tear down any of our programs for whatever reasons. Both the Men's and Woman's teams are on track to make the Tourney...and not be on the bubble. It's nice to have two coaches who care about their players and also the Fanbase as a whole!

Thank you!

Todd4State
02-02-2024, 09:24 PM
No- its just easier to coach in the girls league than it is the men's. Thats why there is such a huge divide in their sport still today. The competition level drops off a cliff in the girls game after Quad 1

Purcell is doing a good job and that's great. Let's just dont act like he is damn Rick Pitino

I think that has to do more with the skill of the players than the coaches. I don't think it would be easier- I think it would just be different. You can't really play above the rim in the women's game at all.

NCMSTFAN
02-02-2024, 10:17 PM

I'm respectfully asking you to explain how it's easier to coach in a girls league vs. Mens.. dont make a statement like that without explanation.

Coach34 how old are you Sir and Im asking that with all due respect?

msstate7
02-02-2024, 10:48 PM
I'm respectfully asking you to explain how it's easier to coach in a girls league vs. Mens.. dont make a statement like that without explanation.

Coach34 how old are you Sir and Im asking that with all due respect?
The pay difference between men and women explain which one is more difficult.

PGHBulldogBG
02-03-2024, 07:34 AM
I would not really say it’s “easier” to coach the girls game, but there are differences. I think girls are more likely to be better at fundamentals though like free throws and are more adaptive to running sets and less street ball. Purcell and Jans are both doing good jobs with programs outside the Vic and Williams years have not been very strong in at least the 25 to 30 years I’ve followed state hoops