PDA

View Full Version : our guards can't make an entry pass

tcdog70
01-31-2024, 10:26 AM
why is Tolu struggling? because we can't get Him the ball where he can score. he is having to dribble the ball too much. he made some great passes out of the double team. How many times does Tolu break open and DJ fail to just throw it to HIM? Quit with the shitty bounce passes below his knees. clear out and do a two man game and give Him a decent entry pass that is on time.

CaptainObvious
01-31-2024, 12:12 PM
why is Tolu struggling? because we can't get Him the ball where he can score. he is having to dribble the ball too much. he made some great passes out of the double team. How many times does Tolu break open and DJ fail to just throw it to HIM? Quit with the shitty bounce passes below his knees. clear out and do a two man game and give Him a decent entry pass that is on time.

It is because they dribble around the 3 point line to much. Twice again last night DJ had the ball in hand with under 5 on the shot clock and missed a shot once and turned it over the other time. He can put on a dribbling exhibition with the best of them out around the 3 point line and between the circles. I think he is auditioning for the team the Globetrotters always play against.

MaroonFlounder
01-31-2024, 12:42 PM
Don't have a true point guard. A lot of passes are weak, ill-timed, lead to turnovers.

MetEdDawg
01-31-2024, 01:05 PM
I think we are a better team when Tolu isn't the focus point.

Hubbard can create shots himself. Davis and Moore showed last night they are capable too.

Tolu played his lowest minutes since the SC game and got up 5 total shots. There's a reason.

I think our guard play is more capable of playing like it did last night offensively and I would think we may see our offense move towards that. Guard heavy, penetrate, quick passes back out from the post and let the guards work.

We had 19 assists last night and Hubbard had 7 of them with Matthews at 5. We had 15 turnovers and Tolu had 4.

StarkVegasSteve
01-31-2024, 02:06 PM

Hubbard can create shots himself. Davis and Moore showed last night they are capable too.

Tolu played his lowest minutes since the SC game and got up 5 total shots. There's a reason.

I think our guard play is more capable of playing like it did last night offensively and I would think we may see our offense move towards that. Guard heavy, penetrate, quick passes back out from the post and let the guards work.

We had 19 assists last night and Hubbard had 7 of them with Matthews at 5. We had 15 turnovers and Tolu had 4.

Yea we need to move off making Tolu the focal point. Let Hubbard, Davis, and Moore cook and let Matthews slash. Keep DJ for defense. Not advocating benching Tolu, but would not hate it.

tcdog70
02-01-2024, 11:18 AM

the reason Tolu had TOs is because he received the ball in a bad spot -where he was forced to dribble. Get Him the ball on the block where he can operate.

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2024, 01:22 PM
the reason Tolu had TOs is because he received the ball in a bad spot -where he was forced to dribble. Get Him the ball on the block where he can operate.

It does not matter where you get him the ball. Teams have figured him out. If you get him the ball on the block he is doubled and they will take their chances with him at the FT line and if he gets it too high he has the same dribble, back down, and spin move that you can literally telegraph. Again, we need to make Hubbard the focal point and scheme him open for 15-20 shots a game.

tcdog70
02-01-2024, 10:12 PM
Seems like we don’t scheme for Hub. He just creates his shots or we go inside out to him.

MetEdDawg
02-02-2024, 06:12 AM

Tolu did not do a great job of getting position consistently in the paint either. He wasn't hustling as much and he could never bury himself deep in the paint.

Did we miss a few? Sure. But Tolu simply couldn't consistently get position. Again, he played his lowest minutes in a month. If he's consistently getting position, you don't take him out. But we did take him out a decent amount.

tcdog70
02-02-2024, 09:12 AM
Tolu did not do a great job of getting position consistently in the paint either. He wasn't hustling as much and he could never bury himself deep in the paint.

Did we miss a few? Sure. But Tolu simply couldn't consistently get position. Again, he played his lowest minutes in a month. If he's consistently getting position, you don't take him out. But we did take him out a decent amount.

I don't what the problem is but Jimmy Bell isn't getting in position when he plays either. He isn't nearly effective now when he gets on the floor.

Santiago
02-02-2024, 01:10 PM
It is because they dribble around the 3 point line to much. Twice again last night DJ had the ball in hand with under 5 on the shot clock and missed a shot once and turned it over the other time. He can put on a dribbling exhibition with the best of them out around the 3 point line and between the circles. I think he is auditioning for the team the Globetrotters always play against.

I hear "Sweet Georgia Brown" in my head when I see all the dribbling in games.

Lord McBuckethead
02-04-2024, 02:13 AM
Well watch Tolu. Dude puts himself in terrible positions as well. Why don?t we have Lawrence Roberts come down and school him for about a month on the court? I feel LRob could score at will on Tolu.

Lord McBuckethead
02-04-2024, 02:15 AM
Simply put, why can?t we have nice things?