PDA

View Full Version : Baseball question

phatdog
01-31-2024, 10:02 AM
If the players we have perform as expected what kind of season do we have? Thanks

somebodyshotmypaw
01-31-2024, 10:08 AM
I think we will be a significantly improved team. The problem is that many SEC teams will be better. The 10th best SEC team might be the 25th best team in the country. The portal allows SEC teams to cut dead weight, and fill holes with guys that want to play in this league due to exposure and good weather. We will be better, but what will the record say?

HoopsDawg
01-31-2024, 10:52 AM
If the players we have perform as expected what kind of season do we have? Thanks

great chance to make the SEC tourney.

Coach34
01-31-2024, 10:52 AM
My wayyyyy too early prediction would be 38-18 (15-15) in the SEC. We end up a Regional host as the overall 13 seed

HoopsDawg
01-31-2024, 11:08 AM
My wayyyyy too early prediction would be 38-18 (15-15) in the SEC. We end up a Regional host as the overall 13 seed

Doubtful we would be that high with one of the worst non-conference schedules in the country.

CaptainObvious
01-31-2024, 12:05 PM
Doubtful we would be that high with one of the worst non-conference schedules in the country.

That will not matter if we don't lose series to those non-cons. 34 is saying we should be 23-3 in non-con. That is pretty stout against average competition!

confucius say
01-31-2024, 12:50 PM

"As expected" is subjective.

I think we're a road regional team.

Coach34
01-31-2024, 01:10 PM
That will not matter if we don't lose series to those non-cons. 34 is saying we should be 23-3 in non-con. That is pretty stout against average competition!

This. We'll have a top SOS at the end of the season. Every SEC team will.

23-3 OOC is very realistic when you consider last year's team was 18-5 OOC

bulldogcountry1
01-31-2024, 02:14 PM
I'm interested in seeing how player leadership looks. If we don't have guys taking charge at practice right now, we are already sunk.

Homedawg
01-31-2024, 03:10 PM

I keep reading about our schedule, yes we've had way tougher, but lots of teams have schedules similar to ours.

HoopsDawg
01-31-2024, 03:19 PM
I keep reading about our schedule, yes we've had way tougher, but lots of teams have schedules similar to ours.

I can't ever remember a weaker non con. Can you?

CaptainObvious
01-31-2024, 05:53 PM
State needs a weak non-con schedule to build some confidence. The team could be a lot better and still start the SEC 2-7 or 3-6 opening with LSU, then @ A&M and @ Florida.

HoopsDawg
01-31-2024, 05:58 PM
State needs a weak non-con schedule to build some confidence. The team could be a lot better and still start the SEC 2-7 or 3-6 opening with LSU, then @ A&M and @ Florida.

BS. As was stated, we went 18-5 last year in noncon.

We are MSU aren't we? This is a save my ass schedule. And now we have no margin of error in conference play.

Coach34
01-31-2024, 06:37 PM

We are MSU aren't we? This is a save my ass schedule. And now we have no margin of error in conference play.

meh- conference will decide his fate

DownwardDawg
01-31-2024, 07:24 PM
meh- conference will decide his fate

I agree. I don't care how weak the non conference schedule is. Let's go 26-0!! The SEC schedule will make up the strength of schedule at the end of the season. And it will determine Lemons fate.

I'm ready for some college baseball!!!!!!

CaptainObvious
01-31-2024, 11:17 PM

1st 3 SEC series

#2 Pre-season LSU at home
#11 Pre-season A&M on the road.
#4 Pre-season Florida on the road.

What record do you see unranked MSU (with much of the same team as last year returning) coming out of those 3? 4-5 would be huge. 3-6 not a disaster. 2-7 could definitely happen.

1-8 or 0-9? Yeah. That would be a disaster.

But then we have unranked UGA at home and unranked Ole Miss on the road to make up some ground.

TNDawg35
02-01-2024, 12:17 AM
1st 3 SEC series

What record do you see unranked MSU (with much of the same team as last year returning) coming out of those 3? 4-5 would be huge. 3-6 not a disaster. 2-7 could definitely happen.

But then we have unranked UGA at home and unranked Ole Miss on the road to make up some ground.

Old adage is win your home series, don't get swept on the road. You lose a home series, you have to win a road series to make up for it. Sweeps are very few and far between....

Coach34
02-01-2024, 09:44 AM
1st 3 SEC series

Come out of that 3-6 or better and all is well

State82
02-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Come out of that 3-6 or better and all is well

I would take 3-6 right now, be done with it and move on to the next weekend.

Leroy Jenkins
02-01-2024, 10:56 AM
The formula has always been win your home series and don't get swept on the road.

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2024, 11:25 AM
I can't ever remember a weaker non con. Can you?

Some people have selective amnesia about stuff like this. Go pull Polk's schedules from the late 80s and early 90s.
I'll use the 1990 season as a great example - a CWS team no less.

Season started with Busch Challenge in NOLA - LSU, UNO, Tulane. Not bad.
Then Birmingham-So (NAIA), Jackson St. (SWAC), South Alabama x2 (Regional team), Memphis x2; La Tech x2; William Cary x2 (NAIA); and Illinois St. x2 all pre conference.
Mid week included UNO x2; USM x2; Jackson State (SWAC); Delta State x2 (DII); NE La x2; and UNA (DII).

That's a trash OOC. 2 NAIA schools, 2 DII schools and 2 SWAC?? Horrible.

CaptainObvious
02-01-2024, 12:08 PM
Some people have selective amnesia about stuff like this. Go pull Polk's schedules from the late 80s and early 90s.

Then Birmingham-So (NAIA), Jackson St. (SWAC), South Alabama x2 (Regional team), Memphis x2; La Tech x2; William Cary x2 (NAIA); and Illinois St. x2 all pre conference.
Mid week included UNO x2; USM x2; Jackson State (SWAC); Delta State x2 (DII); NE La x2; and UNA (DII).

To be fair, there was some D1 talent playing on some of those NAIA DII teams back then due to the scholarship limits. The 3 best teams in Mississippi were State, Delta State, and NOT Ole Miss. State best DSU 15-14 and 24-2, but DSU beat Ole Miss 8-4. DSU has beaten State before as has MC. Mississippi JUCO Baseball in the 80's and 90's was as good as some of the elite NAIA programs.

Even Alabama was good at baseball! 😳

viverlibre
02-01-2024, 01:06 PM
We make the tourney and are in the conversation to host. Near 500 conference record. We were a lot closer last year than most fans give us credit for. If we get even slightly below average pitching, we will be fine.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2024, 01:35 PM

You didn't prove a point. That schedule is much better than this year's on a relative basis. Especially considering how much the committee now values RPI.

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2024, 01:41 PM

Go look at our schedules from Polk II. It was putrid in non con. We always had the NBC/Cadence/Trustmark or whatever bank was sponsoring it that year challenge where we would bring in name schools from the north that were terrible at baseball and that made people forget how bad the schedule really was. Every once in a while we would play a team from out west but other than that it was bad non con schedules.

Goldendawg
02-01-2024, 02:06 PM
Read on the pack that SEC baseball tournament goes to 16 team single elimination in 2025. If Lemonis continues his upward progress 14th to 13th to 12th this year, surely we will keep him with a great raise/extention and be positioned to make that field in 2025.******

Homedawg
02-01-2024, 02:08 PM
You didn't prove a point. That schedule is much better than this year's on a relative basis. Especially considering how much the committee now values RPI.

What???? that schedule isn't close to this one. You dont get credit for naia wins or d2 so...................That one can't be better.

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2024, 02:32 PM
Go look at our schedules from Polk II. It was putrid in non con. We always had the NBC/Cadence/Trustmark or whatever bank was sponsoring it that year challenge where we would bring in name schools from the north that were terrible at baseball and that made people forget how bad the schedule really was. Every once in a while we would play a team from out west but other than that it was bad non con schedules.

I call it "Glory Days Syndrome" - everything had to be tougher and better in the past because that's how I remember it! My freshman year (1992) we lost to William Carey, Bellhaven, Jackson St., North Alabama, and MC - I don't remember those teams being good or having any extraordinary talent, we laid eggs, looked bored, and didn't take them seriously, and then get the "that's baseball" speech from Coach Polk.

Todd4State
02-01-2024, 03:43 PM
I don't really understand why MSU fans always run down the OOC schedule other than we like to see good baseball games. And it seems like every time we play someone like Arizona they have a down year and end up being a RPI killer.

None of this really matters much. How we do in SEC play will determine our postseason fate. It's fun to look at RPI but our true magic number is 13 SEC wins.

As far as this year we would be dumb to play a killer schedule OOC. We're rebuilding our pitching staff and four weeks to build some confidence and figure out roles is what we need to do.

We can go back to playing in the Shrine Classic and play weekend series with Tulane and Arizona State in year or so if we want to.

Todd4State
02-01-2024, 03:45 PM
Read on the pack that SEC baseball tournament goes to 16 team single elimination in 2025. If Lemonis continues his upward progress 14th to 13th to 12th this year, surely we will keep him with a great raise/extention and be positioned to make that field in 2025.******

They almost have to. That way the NCAA can't leave out a 13 win SEC team that finished in 13th place. It's good for Birmingham if everyone can participate.

CaptainObvious
02-01-2024, 03:53 PM
They almost have to. That way the NCAA can't leave out a 13 win SEC team that finished in 13th place. It's good for Birmingham if everyone can participate.

But in the other hand. It will be bad for Birmingham if State, Ole Miss, LSU, and Arkansas lose in the first round and then Vandy and Missouri play in the championship.😳😳😳

Commercecomet24
02-01-2024, 04:02 PM
I don't really understand why MSU fans always run down the OOC schedule other than we like to see good baseball games. And it seems like every time we play someone like Arizona they have a down year and end up being a RPI killer.

None of this really matters much. How we do in SEC play will determine our postseason fate. It's fun to look at RPI but our true magic number is 13 SEC wins.

As far as this year we would be dumb to play a killer schedule OOC. We're rebuilding our pitching staff and four weeks to build some confidence and figure out roles is what we need to do.

We can go back to playing in the Shrine Classic and play weekend series with Tulane and Arizona State in year or so if we want to.

100%. SEC baseball teams post season fate is determined by conference play and OOC has very little bearing on getting in the field.

The Federalist Engineer
02-02-2024, 11:36 PM
If Lemons survives 2024, he is guaranteed to make the 2025 SEC tournament

https://www.secsports.com/article/39437270/future-sec-baseball-tournament-format-approved