PDA

View Full Version : Excellent topic regarding playmakers on our football team...

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Bo Bounds is discussing playmakers, and how most teams have at least one guy on offense that can flip the field or get 25-30 yds in one touch on offense.

Who do we have?

Perkins is solid, but not a game changer. Jameon shows flashes. RoJo looks decent. Malcolm is good, but a TE?

Against SEC defenses we can't count on moving the ball 70+ yds and getting 6 first downs in order to score 6 every time. We need a true weapon on offense.

Thoughts?

biscuit
04-23-2013, 08:34 AM
We need to find that guy. That has been the difference between us and the rest of the league these past few years.

FISHDAWG
04-23-2013, 08:35 AM
awaiting the slow progress of evolution to see who steps up ... I think it will be a recvr this year

Goat Holder
04-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Tyler Russell, at this point. We are going to be a steady offense this year, not an explosive one.

FISHDAWG
04-23-2013, 08:55 AM
I agree Goat ... I think it will be more like -"by committee", but there is always a standout in every crowd and I think the question actually is - who might be that standout player

Coach34
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Robert Johnson has the potential to make some big plays and be "that guy". But as Turner said- potential means they havent done shit yet

We do finally have more talent at WR- hopefully they get it going this Fall.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about Holloway. Could he be that guy or is be still a year or 2 away from being that guy for us?

Pollodawg
04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm going to say Holloway. He reminds me a little of Trindon Holliday from LSU.

Coach34
04-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about Holloway. Could he be that guy or is be still a year or 2 away from being that guy for us?

if used correctly- he could help this Fall. Question is- will he be used correctly?

Thick
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Bounds definition of a playmaker is someone who can bust it 25 yards in one touch. I think that's a done by committee as well. Perkins breaks a run for 15, next play Johnson catches a pass for 15 yards. I would rather have several guys that can hurt you then one or two. It forces a defense to concentrate on all ball eligible players.

Goat Holder
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
but there is always a standout in every crowd and I think the question actually is - who might be that standout player

In that case, my answer is Tubby Lewis. Egg Bowl, anyone? Too bad it didn't make a shit. But the explosiveness is there.

Coach 57
04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Goat has hit it on the head. There won't be BIG plays this year
This offense will be one of stability & short yardage plays. We will be a "grinding" type of offense that wears teams down in the 4th qtr. With Nick, JRob, Milton, Perk and physical OL play we are geared for THAT type if tempo'd offense. I love it really.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM
This offense will be one of stability & short yardage plays. We will be a "grinding" type of offense that wears teams down in the 4th qtr. With Nick, JRob, Milton, Perk and physical OL play we are geared for THAT type if tempo'd offense. I love it really.

I love that style too, but I still think we lack a HomeRun threat right now. We would be awfully tough with a threat like Moncrief, or even a little less version of Moncrief, on the outside. I feel like the only thing this team lacks is the ability to punish teams that load up the box on us, by having a serious deep ball threat. Hopefully RoJo or Chappelle can fill that role, since Morrow is obviously not going to it appears.

Coach34
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM

I think you are getting a little too excited. Hard for me to believe Russell will be under Center more than 1/3 of the time. Hell, 1/3 of the time would be a huge change for us.