PDA

View Full Version : Home court importance in SEC basketball

Coach34
01-28-2024, 01:07 PM
Most people realize how tough it is to win on the road in the SEC but not everybody does obviously by looking at some of the posts.

The last 2 weeks- SEC home teams went 19-8 which is around 70% of the time. But when you break those 8 home losses down- 5 of them were by Vandy, Mizzou, and UPig- the worst 3 teams in the league. Home court is everything in basketball.

2 big ones this week. Got to find a way to steal one.

cheewgumm
01-28-2024, 03:52 PM
Hubbard is getting more and more comfortable.

Seems to be loosening defenses slightly. We scored 43 in 2nd half.

I think we are gonna win one of these. I think Old Mess but we have played well AT Bama under Jans? so far .

RocketDawg
01-28-2024, 03:55 PM
Most people realize how tough it is to win on the road in the SEC but not everybody does obviously by looking at some of the posts.

The last 2 weeks- SEC home teams went 19-8 which is around 70% of the time. But when you break those 8 home losses down- 5 of them were by Vandy, Mizzou, and UPig- the worst 3 teams in the league. Home court is everything in basketball.

Getting up for the OM game won't be a problem. Winning at Tuscaloosa will be a miracle. So we'd better beat the Bears.

Commercecomet24
01-28-2024, 04:24 PM

100%! Road wins are tough and it's a dog fight everywhere you go!

Schultzy
01-28-2024, 10:40 PM
I’ll be in Oxford Tuesday night so screaming at the refs on our behalf will be in session know that!

Leroy Jenkins
01-29-2024, 09:09 AM
That's why a quad 1 win is vs top 30 at home but only vs top 75 on the road, top 50 neutral site.

Johnson85
01-29-2024, 10:53 AM

The home court advantage just shows how shitty the refs are in the SEC. There's going to be a homecourt edge but the only thing that explains how large it is in the SEC is how swayed the refs are by the environment.

Dawghouse
01-29-2024, 12:51 PM
We're 3-4 with 5 home and 6 away. We better find a couple to steal on the road.

Road games (order of most likely to win, IMO)
at Mizzou
at Ole Miss
at LSU
at TA&M
at Bama
at Auburn

Home games
Arkansas
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Georgia
Kentucky

The schedule is easier but it's not a cake walk.

R2Dawg
01-29-2024, 06:35 PM
The home court advantage just shows how shitty the refs are in the SEC. There's going to be a homecourt edge but the only thing that explains how large it is in the SEC is how swayed the refs are by the environment.

Yeah except the Hump.

R2Dawg
01-29-2024, 06:36 PM
100%! Road wins are tough and it's a dog fight everywhere you go!

The 04 Road Warriors went 8-0 on road. Unreal.

Coach34
01-29-2024, 07:19 PM
The 04 Road Warriors went 8-0 on road. Unreal.

That was a helluva run- no doubt but also a softer SEC

R2Dawg
01-29-2024, 09:19 PM
That was a helluva run- no doubt but also a softer SEC

I'm not so sure. We always say that when MSU does something great and also when something happened years ago. Human nature I guess. Nobody else could do it though and we did. That team was tough as nails. Never forget the SEC winner in Tuscaloosa. Timmy Bowers with the dagger.

dawgday166
01-29-2024, 09:24 PM
I'm not so sure. We always say that when MSU does something great and also when something happened years ago. Human nature I guess. Nobody else could do it though and we did. That team was tough as nails. Never forget the SEC winner in Tuscaloosa. Timmy Bowers with the dagger.

LOL ... I imagine they'd do alright in this year's SEC. May not win it but they'd be up there. And they were much better than the team we have this year. Bowers and Frazier as the guards. Nuff said.

That should've at a minimum been an Elite 8 team.

ETA: And folks think our current guards can't score now. We're talking 0 pts against Frazier and Bowers.

Coach34
01-29-2024, 09:47 PM
LOL ... I imagine they'd do alright in this year's SEC. May not win it but they'd be up there. And they were much better than the team we have this year. Bowers and Frazier as the guards. Nuff said.

That should've at a minimum been an Elite 8 team.

ETA: And folks think our current guards can't score now. We're talking 0 pts against Frazier and Bowers.

Hubbard would score on either of them
Jeffries would smother Power and render him useless
And Roberts could not handle Tolu on the block

dawgday166
01-29-2024, 09:57 PM

You're nuts. Roberts was better than any Tolu I've ever watched. Tolu misses pt blank shots at the rim all the time.

Either Frazier or Bowers would eat up Hubbard. JJ Redick had been scoring mid-20s all year and Frazier shut him down to 11 while still recovering from a broken ankle.

ETA: They were long guards with long arms and either one played D 3x better than any guard we have now. And both could shoot better and more consistently than Hubbard. Hubbard is young so he might get better but he ain't there yet.

JJ made the League. While not that great in the league, we'll see if Hubbard makes it.

LC Dawg
01-29-2024, 10:11 PM

Roberts would have help on Tolu because this year's team has only one shooter.
Frazier and Bowers would be the difference.

dawgday166
01-29-2024, 10:15 PM
Roberts would have help on Tolu because this year's team has only one shooter.
Frazier and Bowers would be the difference.

Personally, I'm not sure Tolu is as good as I keep hearing. I haven't watched a ton but have some last year and a couple of games this year. One of the times this year he got outrebounded I think, which really shouldn't have happened in that game (Bama).

To me he's pretty clumsy at times down low and his footwork isn't that great. He is getting doubled a lot tho and should kick it out then.

But then, I haven't watched him a lot either. Like I said, a few times last year and a couple this year. Not against TN & AU.

Coach34
01-29-2024, 10:50 PM
Tolu is as good as there is on the block and in the paint in the country and has been for 2 years now. Tolu’s foot work is incredible. His problem is he gives you nothing facing the basket. Roberts could not have handled Tolu defensively. Tolu would have hammered him. Flip side? Tolu probably couldn’t guard Roberts either.

LC Dawg
01-29-2024, 10:56 PM
Personally, I'm not sure Tolu is as good as I keep hearing. I haven't watched a ton but have some last year and a couple of games this year. One of the times this year he got outrebounded I think, which really shouldn't have happened in that game (Bama).

To me he's pretty clumsy at times down low and his footwork isn't that great. He is getting doubled a lot tho and should kick it out then.

But then, I haven't watched him a lot either. Like I said, a few times last year and a couple this year. Not against TN & AU.

Tolu would benefit greatly from having another shooter. The few times Auburn decided not to double him he scored.

Reunion Dog
01-30-2024, 02:50 AM
Put that crack pipe down. Roberts would have moved Tolu around any way he wanted to. He would out jump and out muscle Tolu from the tip off. No damn way could Tolu have guarded Robert?s. That?s the stupidest thing I have read on here in ages. Timmy B?s and Frazier?s defense were ELITE compared to anything we have. Plus they could shoot the ball. Bowers could score any time we needed a bucket. Clear out the side and let him work including jumping out of any arena we played in.

Bowers is one of top 10 if not top 5 players to come out of Mississippi in the last 35-40 years.

You need to stick with footbal because you don?t know 💩 about basketball and your football is questionable.

dawgday166
01-30-2024, 07:44 AM
Put that crack pipe down. Roberts would have moved Tolu around any way he wanted to. He would out jump and out muscle Tolu from the tip off. No damn way could Tolu have guarded Robert?s. That?s the stupidest thing I have read on here in ages. Timmy B?s and Frazier?s defense were ELITE compared to anything we have. Plus they could shoot the ball. Bowers could score any time we needed a bucket. Clear out the side and let him work including jumping out of any arena we played in.

Bowers is one of top 10 if not top 5 players to come out of Mississippi in the last 35-40 years.

You need to stick with footbal because you don?t know �� about basketball and your football is questionable.

If Frazier doesn't break his ankle the next year, his senior season) at start of SEC schedule against OM, I think he would be in this category too.

He then comes back and in NCAA tourney shuts Reddick down to 11. He was on him like glue. Media hyping Reddick and I knew Frazier would shut his ass down.

We ain't got a guard on this year's team even remotely close to that.

Coach34
01-30-2024, 12:20 PM
haha...ok gents. The awesome 04 team that did nothing in March as usual

RiverCityDawg
01-30-2024, 12:56 PM
Some of yall younger guys don't get it. If C34 gives any credit to the 2004 team in any way, he knows he's in danger of at least somewhat walking back years of takes about Stansbury. That ain't happening. He's going to err on the side of everything about Stansbury sucks.

dawgday166
01-30-2024, 01:12 PM
haha...ok gents. The awesome 04 team that did nothing in March as usual

Won't argue that point. Stansbury's ass clenched up so tight when favored in any tournament (SEC too) the whole team played uptight.

Stansbury and Barnes ... Both ain't tournament coaches. There are some others scattered here and there too.

Both pretty solid regular season coaches tho. Richard Williams would probably have taken '04 team to Elite 8 against Duke and might've beat them too.

MoreCowbell
01-30-2024, 02:23 PM

During regular season we went 6-2 against tourney teams. Did not know this but we actually beat Xavier, who eliminated us in round 2, during regular season.

MoreCowbell
01-30-2024, 02:26 PM
During regular season we went 6-2 against tourney teams. Did not know this but we actually beat Xavier, who eliminated us in round 2, during regular season.

And we were 4-1 against sweet 16 teams during regular season

dawgday166
01-30-2024, 02:42 PM
In reality (and not making excuses for Stans cause he was a very poor tourney coach when favored) but all MSU Teams don't do well in big games when favored.

Natty baseball team ... No one expected us to win.

Mullen as fav in big games .. I believe he was 0fer.

Vic did beat USCe as fav when he won conference.

Williams won some games as fav I think.

Reunion Dog
01-31-2024, 03:29 AM
We beat Xavier twice that year. They won the ncaa game when they hit that damn bomb 3 pointer from the far baseline as the buzzer went off at half. threw up a miracle and it went it. Typical Mississippi State luck. State was beating them pretty good in the first half and we got smoked in the 2nd half. Tough to beat a team 3 times in a year.

Let?s not forget that Jean?s page herself was on the baseline taking a pic of our game vs Vandy in the SEC tournament and Robert?s tripped on him going for a loose ball and screwed up his ankle. Vandy beat us and that loss cost us a #1 seed. We went in as a #2.

Maroonthirteen
01-31-2024, 05:53 AM
We're 3-4 with 5 home and 6 away. We better find a couple to steal on the road.

Road games (order of most likely to win, IMO)
at Mizzou. W
at Ole Miss. L
at LSU. L
at TA&M. L
at Bama. L
at Auburn. L

Home games
Arkansas W
Ole Miss. W
South Carolina L
Georgia. W
Kentucky. L

NIT

Pancho
01-31-2024, 08:29 AM
I agree but keep playing hard and see where the chips fall

Homedawg
01-31-2024, 09:33 AM
We beat Xavier twice that year. They won the ncaa game when they hit that damn bomb 3 pointer from the far baseline as the buzzer went off at half. threw up a miracle and it went it. Typical Mississippi State luck. State was beating them pretty good in the first half and we got smoked in the 2nd half. Tough to beat a team 3 times in a year.

Let?s not forget that Jean?s page herself was on the baseline taking a pic of our game vs Vandy in the SEC tournament and Robert?s tripped on him going for a loose ball and screwed up his ankle. Vandy beat us and that loss cost us a #1 seed. We went in as a #2.

Except we didn't beat them twice that year. Just once....

parabrave
01-31-2024, 07:40 PM
Right now UGA beating the crap out of Bama in Athens.

Homedawg
01-31-2024, 08:44 PM
Right now UGA beating the crap out of Bama in Athens.

Didn't last long

klong-dog
02-01-2024, 09:32 AM
LSU and A&M are beatable on the road.

Goldendawg
02-01-2024, 02:01 PM
For years I have heard the statement, "We have to defend (win on) the home court and steal a couple on the road" in the SEC. There is no doubt in my mind that this plays on the minds of the players over the seasons no matter what year it is. "Just Win, Baby", late great Al Davis. Hail State!

Captain Falcon
02-01-2024, 02:31 PM
LSU and A&M are beatable on the road.

And I refuse to believe we go to Mizzou and lose. They are awful. No excuse for that to not be a road W for us next Saturday.