PDA

View Full Version : For all the poor ole Mississippi State, everyone else is better than us

R2Dawg
01-27-2024, 09:40 PM
I just got my Alumni mag today and MSU broke the state of MS record for fundraising (we broke our own record, not OM). 2023 - 259 million dollars. That is unreal.

Don't give me the MSU got poor alumni, no money guys, etc. We may not throw all our money at over priced athletes but we are an institution of higher learning and our alumni respond.

CaptainObvious
01-27-2024, 10:13 PM
Absolutely great news!

But...., if you don't think Alabama, UGA, LSU and Florida have the enrollment they do in direct correlation to how they do in Athletics, I don't what else to tell you.

Athletics is a huge draw to get more and more enrollment. Do we have room for 25,000 to 28,000 students in three to 5 years? Make the 12 team playoff and win a first round game a couple of years and see what happens if we open it up for growth!

Homedawg
01-27-2024, 10:22 PM
I just got my Alumni mag today and MSU broke the state of MS record for fundraising (we broke our own record, not OM). 2023 - 259 million dollars. That is unreal.

Don't give me the MSU got poor alumni, no money guys, etc. We may not throw all our money at over priced athletes but we are an institution of higher learning and our alumni respond.

It's not that we don't have people w money. We do. But it's all relative. We still have the least amount of money in the league.

R2Dawg
01-28-2024, 08:20 AM
Absolutely great news!

But...., if you don't think Alabama, UGA, LSU and Florida have the enrollment they do in direct correlation to how they do in Athletics, I don't what else to tell you.

Athletics is a huge draw to get more and more enrollment. Do we have room for 25,000 to 28,000 students in three to 5 years? Make the 12 team playoff and win a first round game a couple of years and see what happens if we open it up for growth!

You missed the point of my post. Has nothing to do with what you replied.

Nothing to do with other non-Miss schools.

Nothing to do with enrollment.

Nothing to do with athletics not being a reason Bama or UGA enrollment has shot up. I live in Alabama and know the Tuscaloosa story better than most. Kids from all over nation going there because of Bama football and Saban.

Point was OM ain't got more money in alumni than MSU. I read thread after thread saying such. Secondary point is some schools sell their soul to win a game, MSU is still committed to being an IHL unlike some. MSU is blue collar - always has always will. That is also how we have success. Nothing wrong with hard work and doing things the right way.

MBDawg601
01-28-2024, 09:13 AM
Great post.

I am not sure how this board turned into an Ole Miss board, but every thread has some closet OM fan talking about how great they are going to be.

If they turn an overpriced group of misfits into a national championship team, I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, 17 em'.

A & M fielded more talent than most of the SEC and could not put it together. I'm glad we are being wise with how and where we spend our money. What other teams are doing is not sustainable. Idc who you are, spending 300k+ on a recruiting class each year that you cannot write off and get zero return on is not a wise investment.

Fred Garvin
01-28-2024, 09:30 AM
Congratulations to us for winning the Tallest Midget Award.

Maroonthirteen
01-28-2024, 10:31 AM
If State can raise more money for academia. If we can put net Profits in a "rainy day" fund but have a much smaller budget for athletic recruitment..... I think it's a good example that State alumni don't care about sports as much as OM alumni.

basedog
01-28-2024, 10:36 AM
It's not that we don't have people w money. We do. But it's all relative. We still have the least amount of money in the league.

Which is bad and good, bad being it's the Sec, but good being we are a top tier program overall, LOL.

Coursesuper
01-28-2024, 03:19 PM
As a whole I do firmly believe that we are the most barn blind bunch walking the face of the planet.

R2Dawg
01-28-2024, 08:27 PM
If State can raise more money for academia. If we can put net Profits in a "rainy day" fund but have a much smaller budget for athletic recruitment..... I think it's a good example that State alumni don't care about sports as much as OM alumni.

I think this is true.

Fact is MSU is a bring your lunch pail type school across the board. I worked 2 jobs, paid my way thru school graduating without any loans and basically in an era with no scholarships. I studied my tail on in engineering too. And most did just like me. In just ain't in us to give all my extra hard earned money to some over priced athlete that already has a free ride and didn't have to have a job to get it.

From OM side, most of their alumni got their school paid for by rich daddys so they didn't have to really work hard and earn their degree. It ain't no big deal to give money since you got handouts too.

Hot Rock
01-29-2024, 09:23 AM
I think this is true.

Fact is MSU is a bring your lunch pail type school across the board. I worked 2 jobs, paid my way thru school graduating without any loans and basically in an era with no scholarships. I studied my tail on in engineering too. And most did just like me. In just ain't in us to give all my extra hard earned money to some over priced athlete that already has a free ride and didn't have to have a job to get it.

From OM side, most of their alumni got their school paid for by rich daddys so they didn't have to really work hard and earn their degree. It ain't no big deal to give money since you got handouts too.

I had not thought of it that way but it may have some truth to it.

R2Dawg
01-29-2024, 12:45 PM
I had not thought of it that way but it may have some truth to it.

From MSU side, that is how I feel and every other person I know and went to school with feels the same way. We love our school and love sports but it is out of control. I know there are some on here that don't feel that way.

The OM spin is conjecture on my part but educated. Give you kids all the free stuff that they don't work for and see how much they take care of it and appreciate it. Let them work and pay for it theirself and see the difference. Spoiled brats just want what they want regardless of what it cost. OM wants the sports glory more than anyone and will sell their soul to get it.

Coursesuper
01-29-2024, 04:24 PM
From MSU side, that is how I feel and every other person I know and went to school with feels the same way. We love our school and love sports but it is out of control. I know there are some on here that don't feel that way.

The OM spin is conjecture on my part but educated. Give you kids all the free stuff that they don't work for and see how much they take care of it and appreciate it. Let them work and pay for it theirself and see the difference. Spoiled brats just want what they want regardless of what it cost. OM wants the sports glory more than anyone and will sell their soul to get it.

Opinions vary.