PDA

View Full Version : We have some fans that need to get over

Todd4State
12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
The name on the other teams jersey.

Look- I get that teams like Rice, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc. have a history of sucking. I also get that teams like Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Nebraska, etc. have a history of winning and are bigger schools with "more recognizable" names.

But what some of our fans need to understand is that college football has changed a lot and now teams such as Duke, Rice etc. have figured out ways to compete and in some cases win championships. Just look at the examples I mentioned above- Rice won a conference championship along with 10 games, Duke is playing for the ACC championship, Vanderbilt has been to two bowls the past two years and is now a legit 6-8 win team. Then you have Stanford which has become a force in the PAC-12 and the service academies have become bowl game regulars for the past few years with the exception of Army- and even Army went to a bowl within the last five years.

Meanwhile, Ole Miss beat a "recognizable" 6-6 Pittsburgh team last year, Nebraska is thinking about firing their coach, and Notre Dame is playing in the Pinstripe Bowl.

All of that is to say this- times have changed in college football. Just because we are playing a team with a less than stellar football history- that doesn't mean that the team that we are going to play isn't any good or "interesting". It also doesn't mean that we aren't going to help ourselves or improve perception by playing and winning the game.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Look- I get that teams like Rice, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc. have a history of sucking. I also get that teams like Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Nebraska, etc. have a history of winning and are bigger schools with "more recognizable" names.

But what some of our fans need to understand is that college football has changed a lot and now teams such as Duke, Rice etc. have figured out ways to compete and in some cases win championships. Just look at the examples I mentioned above- Rice won a conference championship along with 10 games, Duke is playing for the ACC championship, Vanderbilt has been to two bowls the past two years and is now a legit 6-8 win team. Then you have Stanford which has become a force in the PAC-12 and the service academies have become bowl game regulars for the past few years with the exception of Army- and even Army went to a bowl within the last five years.

Meanwhile, Ole Miss beat a "recognizable" 6-6 Pittsburgh team last year, Nebraska is thinking about firing their coach, and Notre Dame is playing in the Pinstripe Bowl.

All of that is to say this- times have changed in college football. Just because we are playing a team with a less than stellar football history- that doesn't mean that the team that we are going to play isn't any good or "interesting". It also doesn't mean that we aren't going to help ourselves or improve perception by playing and winning the game.

This is obviously pointed at me. I don't disagree. Rice is probably a solid team, and we need to play well. I am just simply saying that it's a sucky bowl tie-in that the Liberty Bowl has, and the Liberty Bowl obviously agree since next year the Liberty bowl will be SEC/Big 12.

I'm excited about the game and will be there.

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2013, 10:12 PM

Amen, Todd. And oh by the way - most programs react the same way to playing us in a bowl. "Shit, it's Em Ess Ewe. Why can't we play a name conference team?"

Jacksondevildog
12-07-2013, 10:14 PM
We also have a large segment of our fans that still believe that the Internet is a dying fad. I'm very excited about going to a bowl game and playing a team that we should beat. 7-6 with a lot of momentum heading into 2014 would be great. People need to have a little bit of perspective.

thunderclap
12-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Agreed. I'm anything but unenthused. Gonna be fun.

Bubb Rubb
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I am just simply saying that it's a sucky bowl tie-in that the Liberty Bowl has, and the Liberty Bowl obviously agree since next year the Liberty bowl will be SEC/Big 12.

If it were an at large C-USA team, I would agree with you. But it's the freaking conference champion. It's an excellent bowl tie in for them, and it's historically a competitive bowl game. It would've become a bad tie-in for the Liberty Bowl because C-USA has fallen apart with several teams leaving the conference, which is why they are going to the Big 12 beginning next year. But up until now, it's been good for the Liberty Bowl.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Rice is quite the powerhouse. Not only are the Owls a well-known name, but they had an impressive win over UAB in overtime. Yes, they did lose to North Texas, but they are the CUSA champions so there's that.

Todd4State
12-07-2013, 10:27 PM
This is obviously pointed at me. I don't disagree. Rice is probably a solid team, and we need to play well. I am just simply saying that it's a sucky bowl tie-in that the Liberty Bowl has, and the Liberty Bowl obviously agree since next year the Liberty bowl will be SEC/Big 12.

I'm excited about the game and will be there.

It wasn't pointed at you. I've seen several other MSU people say the same thing, and there are always others who choose to remain silent that feel the same way you do about Rice.

I'm mainly pointing it out because Ole Miss fans are going to play the "sucky bowl" angle in an effort to hurt MSU, and we don't need to fall for it again.

Todd4State
12-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Rice is quite the powerhouse. Not only are the Owls a well-known name, but they had an impressive win over UAB in overtime. Yes, they did lose to North Texas, but they are the CUSA champions so there's that.

And North Carolina lost to East Carolina, Nebraska lost to Minnesota, Texas lost to Ole Miss, and I could go on.

Dawgowar
12-07-2013, 10:33 PM
We get what equates to another Spring Practice period - that alone would be worth playing a re-match with Maine. Assuming no major injuries nothing but good comes from letting these younger kids get more reps. Rice, UCF, whoever. Just so long as we show well and get the practices.

Coach34
12-07-2013, 10:54 PM

Rice blew out Marshall- who went to triple OT with Virginia Tech-I can play this game too

HoopsDawg
12-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Rice blew out Marshall- who went to triple OT with Virginia Tech- who went to triple OT with Marshall....I can play this game too

Not playing a game. It's pretty simple, the name "Rice" carries no clout. Let's not pretend this is a good football team either. You aren't going to the bowl game anyway. But for a lot of us who do, it's hard to get fired up about playing Rice.

Coach34
12-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Not playing a game. It's pretty simple, the name "Rice" carries no clout. Let's not pretend this is a good football team either. You aren't going to the bowl game anyway. But for a lot of us who do, it's hard to get fired up about playing Rice.

What? I'm not?

BogeyGolfer
12-07-2013, 11:00 PM

I agree that having extra practice time will obviously help the team and winning a bowl game carries over into the spring. However, I want to play a quality team... Save the 10 win argument for someone who will buy that line of shit, Rice is not a quality team. We play in the SEC, we can beat a lot of teams with better records. I don't want to see Rice play no more than I wanted to see WF or UCF in 2007. I want to see us compete and beat teams with equal talent. Beating Rice will have its benefits, but what if we played and beat Louisville instead? Expect less and you will get less, just like your argument about playing cupcakes instead of quality teams to begin the season but that's another topic.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2013, 11:01 PM
What? I'm not?

Are you? You live in La, and go to about 1 game per year do you not?

HailState39110
12-07-2013, 11:06 PM

Rice has a team that is very experienced with a ton of seniors (so does NorthTexas) Teams like this aren't very good but about every 4 or 5 years . They build for special seasons every now and then . Remember Wake Forest did this a few years under Grobe . This is Rices first good year since Todd Grantham was there coach then he went to Tulsa then Pitt and now to Arizona State . Moral of the story is we have more talent and are deeper but Rice has a lot of experienced seniors on their squad that have played a lot of football

Coach34
12-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Are you? You live in La, and go to about 1 game per year do you not?

Yes and Yes-I have been limited the last few years due to having a 4 and 2 yr old, no family living close to help, and tough work schedules. But with the game being on a holiday and within a decent driving distance- it's one I can make.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Yes and Yes-I have been limited the last few years due to having a 4 and 2 yr old, no family living close to help, and tough work schedules. But with the game being on a holiday and within a decent driving distance- it's one I can make.

See you on Beale then. Too bad Platinum is closed.

FlabLoser
12-07-2013, 11:14 PM
I look forward to our bowl game.

I also look forward to the Big12 tie in. I liked if when the Indy bowl had that tie in.

smootness
12-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Chalk this one us as another 'our fans suck sometimes'. We were 4-6 and had to scratch and claw our way to a bowl game by beating our rival. Not only that, we're going to a bowl with a better reputation than the one we should be in. But we're going to whine because we're not playing a great team?

This is one of those years where I just want one more win, I don't care who we play. I don't want to be 6-7.

engie
12-07-2013, 11:23 PM
People need to realize that a victory over Rice would be our 3rd best victory since 2010 based on the actual quality of the team according to the computers. Behind Bowling Green and Ole Miss this year. Could even surpass Ole Miss if -- by some chance -- they lose their bowl game, which I'd think would be possible with OM being without Golson for sure and possibly without Tunsil for that game.

Yes -- Rice is better than 2011 La Tech and Wake Forest -- and 2012 Tennessee and MTSU according to the various computer rankings. They will be ranked about the same as us in the BCS standings when they are re-released tomorrow and only slightly behind Ole Miss. Will certainly finish in the top 50.

engie
12-07-2013, 11:28 PM
I fully expect Dak to build off what we saw out of him the last couple of weeks -- and with the offense finally being FULLY modified to fit him -- and time to practice it -- I expect the bowl game to be very wool-inspiring offensively and defensively.

Todd4State
12-07-2013, 11:40 PM
I agree that having extra practice time will obviously help the team and winning a bowl game carries over into the spring. However, I want to play a quality team... Save the 10 win argument for someone who will buy that line of shit, Rice is not a quality team. We play in the SEC, we can beat a lot of teams with better records. I don't want to see Rice play no more than I wanted to see WF or UCF in 2007. I want to see us compete and beat teams with equal talent. Beating Rice will have its benefits, but what if we played and beat Louisville instead? Expect less and you will get less, just like your argument about playing cupcakes instead of quality teams to begin the season but that's another topic.

10 wins is a line of shit? Why don't you come up with something that's actually tangible to counter it? Oh wait- you CAN'T. Heaven forbid that people that actually know what they are talking about make people like you who want to play someone with a jersey that says "Louisville" on it look stupid and petty and actually try to educate people.

Do you really think that Louisville has "equal" talent to us? Let me guess- you probably are one of the dumbasses that think we should have beat 10-2 Oklahoma State as well? Even though we got completely outclassed by them. **Yes- let's keep ramming our heads into the wall like we did in 1969 and play a killer schedule and go 3-9 every year because that was working so well for us and helping us to make progress.**

The fact that you disagree with me about the schedule proves how utterly ignorant you are. This season and last season should prove me right about that- unfortunately with have people like you that want to see a jersey that Louisville on it, and then wonder why we never make any progress. It is unreasonable to play 4 Louisville's of the college football world and then 8 SEC teams and expect us to win 8-9 games. It would be unreasonable to expect Alabama and LSU to do that every year- that's why they DON'T do it. Not to mention the fact that playing 4 Louisville's would cost us home football games and more money over the long haul.

You simply can not have your cake and eat it too. Fans like you have to understand that we can either play someone like Oklahoma State during the season, and go 6-6 but likely have to play someone like Rice in a bowl. OR we can play Tulane (bowl team BTW), South Alabama, Jackson State, and Middle Tennessee and then win 8-9 games and play Michigan in the Gator Bowl. I CAN NOT PUT IT ANY MORE SIMPLY. It's really a no brainer about what to do.

Todd4State
12-07-2013, 11:44 PM

I bet that will be more than some of our "fans" in Southaven.

drunkernhelldawg
12-08-2013, 04:05 AM
We also have a large segment of our fans that still believe that the Internet is a dying fad. I'm very excited about going to a bowl game and playing a team that we should beat. 7-6 with a lot of momentum heading into 2014 would be great. People need to have a little bit of perspective.

Gotta disagree that anybody thinks that of the Internet, but maybe you were just playing with hyperbole. Anyway, agree with the rest of your post except not too concerned with the outcome. It's lagniappe to play in the bowl and get the benefits and the extra practices, ant it's great the way we made it. I'm in next season personally. I think we have that momentum regardless of the outcome of the bowl game, but it remains to be seen what we'll do with it. I have high hopes.

Scooter
12-08-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure hoe much better the liberty can do other than getting a small cont champ on one side. The part I don't like is UCF barely beating a terrible SMU team for a BCS bowl

EnterpriseDawg
12-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I sure hope our players come out ready to play and don't think this will be a cakewalk like some of you suggest. We should beat this team handily, but if Rice comes out ready to set the world on fire anything can happen. I'm just happy to be bowling. I really didn't think we would pull it off, but we did and glad I was wrong. I'll be there to support the hard work of these young men and even partake in some adult beverages.

engie
12-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Next year, the Liberty will EQUAL the Outback, Music City, Belk, Texas, and Gator Bowls. All 6 of those bowls will have interchangable picks at the SEC's discretion -- ALL against major conference opponents.

That leaves only the Birmingham and Independence Bowls for SEC teams to potentially match up with smaller conference opponents...