KOdawg1
01-26-2024, 08:51 PM
And 3 or 4 were on Hunter Hines

redstickdawg
01-26-2024, 08:55 PM
picking up where we left off, not good at all

Saltydog
01-26-2024, 08:55 PM
That's what I was afraid of w/HH. I could see this ending up with someone else at 1B and him being the DH again.

basedog
01-26-2024, 08:59 PM
It’s a wait and see for me this spring. But someone has to say it “we talkn bout practice man”!

BuckyIsAB****
01-26-2024, 09:05 PM
Lemonis has 3 things going for him, 1 obviously is the championship (which we should have won already not sure how much he really had to do with it) we have owned OM with him and 3, something that isn?t mentioned is that Mangum speech after Louisville put us out. You would have to think Mangum knows what a good baseball coach is.

But me personally I would have pulled the trigger last May. I am going to support him but I have 0 faith we will be better. If we lose some games early it will get very ugly for him. There was some serious heat coming from the chair backs last year. A loss to a mid major will be all it takes

Mjoelner34
01-26-2024, 09:10 PM
That's what I was afraid of w/HH. I could see this ending up with someone else at 1B and him being the DH again.

Hines should have been starting every game at 1B about halfway through the SEC schedule last year when the writing was on the wall that we weren't going anywhere. That's 100% on Lemonis for not making that move and getting him more game experience in the field.

Coach34
01-26-2024, 09:23 PM
Shit happens. Its January

SPMT
01-26-2024, 11:01 PM
Shit happens. Its January

Nice! Back to rationality. C34 is right, it?s 17n January. We all know Lemonis seat is red hot.

smootness
01-26-2024, 11:07 PM
This has no bearing on why, but Lemonis is a goner. Just does not have it.

Cooterpoot
01-26-2024, 11:08 PM
I mean, we haven't settled on our roster yet. Lots of folks playing that won't be.

ScottH
01-26-2024, 11:30 PM
I arrived late but was told Dylan Cupp took a fastball to tge head. Any info on that?

TNDawg35
01-27-2024, 12:14 AM
I arrived late but was told Dylan Cupp took a fastball to tge head. Any info on that?

What I saw said he walked off the field and appeared ok. Wonder who hit him?

Todd4State
01-27-2024, 12:19 AM
First base defense should be an easy fix with the DH being an option to keep Hines in the lineup if this continues to be an issue.

Cowbell
01-27-2024, 12:30 AM

So our pitching staff hasn't changed....?

CaptainObvious
01-27-2024, 08:58 AM
Can Hines not catch a fly ball in the outfield? Dang! What position is he going to play in the pros? Left Out!

Offshore Dawg
01-27-2024, 10:37 AM
First base defense should be an easy fix with the DH being an option to keep Hines in the lineup if this continues to be an issue.

Yes, but do you expect them to be able to make the move.

Offshore Dawg
01-27-2024, 10:42 AM
I am at the point that I will not let myself be hopeful about this team.

PGHBulldogBG
01-27-2024, 12:57 PM
Lemonis won a NC and then had two bad seasons. Now he is at the point where if he turns this thing around he deserves our full support. If he makes a regional we keep him. Anything else we have to start looking elsewhere. Our schedule is brutal, but he did this to himself so he needs to figure out a way to at least win 13 or 14 games to get us to a regional

Offshore Dawg
01-27-2024, 01:11 PM
you want to be the man you have to beat the man. Dawgs haven't beaten much lately.

CaptainObvious
01-27-2024, 02:29 PM
Lemonis won a NC and then had two bad seasons. Now he is at the point where if he turns this thing around he deserves our full support. If he makes a regional we keep him. Anything else we have to start looking elsewhere. Our schedule is brutal, but he did this to himself so he needs to figure out a way to at least win 13 or 14 games to get us to a regional

Same guy who won the 2021 CWS also got run-ruled twice in the 2021 SEC tourney. It's anybody's tourney who gets hot on the mound when you get to the Regional Format. If you are a 1 seed at home the draw matters as much as your coaching ability.

parabrave
01-27-2024, 02:41 PM

So I guess Ron Washington was right.

Tripp McNeely
01-27-2024, 03:11 PM

Hahaha...I got that one!

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-27-2024, 03:27 PM

refresh my memory as I've not thought about baseball since June:

1) who would play 1B if Hunter moved to DH?

2) who is the DH today that Hunter would be knocking out of the lineup?

Basically, yeah we can probably get a decent defensive first baseman out there, but what would that do to the lineup?

parabrave
01-27-2024, 03:27 PM
Hahaha...I got that one!

2nd best Baseball movie. Of you want a poster boy at 1st base look at Freeman. A 6'6" skinny gut who can do a split and stretch to get the ball thrown over his head to get the gut out where a 6'1" guy wouldn't.

Coach34
01-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Girlfriend probably just put a hex on his glove

Tripp McNeely
01-27-2024, 03:32 PM
2nd best Baseball movie. Of you want a poster boy at 1st base look at Freeman. A 6'6" skinny gut who can do a split and stretch to get the ball thrown over his head to get the gut out where a 6'1" guy wouldn't.

#1 Bull Durham...hopefully? If so...we may just become best friends!

Todd4State
01-27-2024, 06:30 PM
refresh my memory as I've not thought about baseball since June:

1) who would play 1B if Hunter moved to DH?

2) who is the DH today that Hunter would be knocking out of the lineup?

Basically, yeah we can probably get a decent defensive first baseman out there, but what would that do to the lineup?

Jackson McKenzie or Aaron Downs. Probably would mean sitting Bryce Chance if I had to guess.

Todd4State
01-27-2024, 06:31 PM

Of course Wash was right! Best infield coach in history!

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Jackson McKenzie or Aaron Downs. Probably would mean sitting Bryce Chance if I had to guess.

Who are our outfielders? I thought Chance would be fighting for an OF spot

Coach34
01-27-2024, 07:09 PM
Who are our outfielders? I thought Chance would be fighting for an OF spot

Hugesak CF
Jordan RF
LF remains a battle

The Federalist Engineer
01-27-2024, 07:25 PM

He deserves nothing, but his contact terms. Host a regional or GTFO.

He's just an employee. Short of Omaha, I would fire him regardless this year. There are many good coaches available.

Coach34
01-27-2024, 07:45 PM
heard today people are really singing Hugesak's praises so far this preseason

Coach34
01-27-2024, 07:46 PM
He deserves nothing, but his contact terms. Host a regional or GTFO.

He's just an employee. Short of Omaha, I would fire him regardless this year. There are many good coaches available.

He is very unlikely to be fired if we make a Regional

Homedawg
01-27-2024, 07:53 PM

No chance is gonna play left. So it won't be him.

Coach34
01-27-2024, 08:06 PM

I think you inadvertently created a new nickname- "No Chance"

HeCannotGo
01-27-2024, 08:11 PM

It's incredibly hard.

CaptainObvious
01-27-2024, 08:22 PM
So do we have a 40 man roster yet? How many guys are trying to make the cut down if not?

preachermatt83
01-27-2024, 09:30 PM
He is very unlikely to be fired if we make a Regional

Nor should he be. If he doesn?t make a regional he should be

CaptainObvious
01-27-2024, 10:25 PM

I'd have to disagree. If they make a Regional as a 2 seed and go 2 and Q, he needs a new hobby. We have had years where 10 SEC teams made a Regional. Not as big of an accomplishment as you make it out to be.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-27-2024, 10:28 PM

Top 10 classes, missing Hoover 2 straight years, and making he field of 64 is acceptable to you? The tournament = bring him back?

Top 10 classes to make the field of 64... what a waste of potential

How low our standards have fallen

Coach34
01-27-2024, 10:33 PM
I'd have to disagree. If they make a Regional as a 2 seed and go 2 and Q, he needs a new hobby. We have had years where 10 SEC teams made a Regional. Not as big of an accomplishment as you make it out to be.

What if we make a regional as the 2 seed and win the mf'er? The postseason is a new season. Saying we host or fire him is f'ing stupid

Coach34
01-27-2024, 10:49 PM
What if we are a #2 and lose in the Regional final? Basically makes us Top 32. You fire him for being one of the best 32 teams in the country?

No. No you dont. Stop being stupid

The Federalist Engineer
01-28-2024, 12:36 AM

To beat Bryce Chance, the challengers got to hit 250 in the SEC and 350 in other games. That's assuming that Chance has not continued to develop and improve his game. Seems to be a resourceful high IQ player. We expect more from Hujsak, Stevens, and Downs. They should be more competitive versus upper echelons of SEC pitching. In Conference, Chance only K'ed 8 times to 6 BB versus SEC in 34 ABs. Hujsak 6k in 23 ABs and no walks, lower average. Downs K'ed 7 times in 13 ABs no BB, way lower average. Stevens and Downs have Tanner Allen, top recruit pedigree. Stevens is expected to be a huge star, hopefully replaces Kellum Clark's 2023 production.

OF:

(1) Jordan (Locked)
------------ known star Level -------
(2) Hujsak (Big praise, big Summer)
------------- more than 150 D1 At Bats --------
(3) Stevens (6-3 elite Freshman recruit, 1B also, broken hand in Fall)
-------------- Elite level New Comer --------
(4) Chance (best overall numbers for a returning player, only hit 230 in the SEC but kills non SEC pitchers.)
------------- known Experienced Player ----------
(5) Mackenzie Jackson (6-3 freshman recruit, 1B also)
(6) Rives Reynolds (6-3 freshman recruit, highly praised from practice)
(7) Brett House (6-4 freshman recruit, power body)
------------ The Freshmen --------

Wildcard

A- Aaron Downs (huge recruit in 2021, up there with Brady Tygart and Hunter Elliott) was supposed to be an infielder only 57 MSU at bats in two years and 9 starts on two remarkably bad teams. Maybe just injury?
B- Can Mershon, Kohler, or Larry play OF?

The Federalist Engineer
01-28-2024, 12:39 AM
What if we make a regional as the 2 seed and win the mf'er? The postseason is a new season. Saying we host or fire him is f'ing stupid

I don't think it's stupid, much less f' stupid. That's an opinion of a Lemonis fan. I guess you like him.

Todd4State
01-28-2024, 03:33 AM

I agree. But in the scenario I was asked about we aren't taking out Hines bat. And if we start Mershon and Cupp in the MIF I don't see us taking Larry's bat out either- meaning LF for him. We aren't taking out Dakota Jordan obviously and I can't see us taking out Hujsack. We aren't going to put Chance at first base. So....

But it's a nothingburger because we both know Hines is going to start at first base and will be fine and the scenario presented to me isn't going to happen anyway so it's all moot.

Todd4State
01-28-2024, 03:42 AM
Top 10 classes, missing Hoover 2 straight years, and making he field of 64 is acceptable to you? The tournament = bring him back?

Top 10 classes to make the field of 64... what a waste of potential

How low our standards have fallen

"Our" standards haven't fallen at all. The expectation is and always has been Omaha for our program and a SR appearance at worst. The last two seasons haven't been up to our standard so Chris must get the team to that standard this year or I do think we move on from him. We've given him a fair opportunity and he has replaced his pitching coach. He has recruited well so the talent is here and in the pipe. But the development on the pitching side has been D3 level at best. And that's probably being nice.

The only exception to the above would be if he won the SEC regular season or the SEC Tournament or we did well enough to host a regional and then got upset in a regional. I can't see us moving on from Chris if any one of those three things happen. Something like that would probably involve some serious "that's baseball" going on in the regional.

Expectations are too high here to be OK with just making a regional and our recent history from 2016-2021 shows our true potential as a baseball program.

SpaceBully
01-28-2024, 05:46 AM
Question is did 3rd base defense improve any with the new Memphis transfer who's supposed to be better than Alford. Maybe all those errors teleported themselves over to 1B and Hines.

Homedawg
01-28-2024, 10:12 AM
I think you inadvertently created a new nickname- "No Chance"

Ha, meant no, Chance is going to play left.

Homedawg
01-28-2024, 10:13 AM
To beat Bryce Chance, the challengers got to hit 250 in the SEC and 350 in other games. That's assuming that Chance has not continued to develop and improve his game. Seems to be a resourceful high IQ player. We expect more from Hujsak, Stevens, and Downs. They should be more competitive versus upper echelons of SEC pitching. In Conference, Chance only K'ed 8 times to 6 BB versus SEC in 34 ABs. Hujsak 6k in 23 ABs and no walks, lower average. Downs K'ed 7 times in 13 ABs no BB, way lower average. Stevens and Downs have Tanner Allen, top recruit pedigree. Stevens is expected to be a huge star, hopefully replaces Kellum Clark's 2023 production.

OF:

(1) Jordan (Locked)
------------ known star Level -------
(2) Hujsak (Big praise, big Summer)
------------- more than 150 D1 At Bats --------
(3) Stevens (6-3 elite Freshman recruit, 1B also, broken hand in Fall)
-------------- Elite level New Comer --------
(4) Chance (best overall numbers for a returning player, only hit 230 in the SEC but kills non SEC pitchers.)
------------- known Experienced Player ----------
(5) Mackenzie Jackson (6-3 freshman recruit, 1B also)
(6) Rives Reynolds (6-3 freshman recruit, highly praised from practice)
(7) Brett House (6-4 freshman recruit, power body)
------------ The Freshmen --------

Wildcard

A- Aaron Downs (huge recruit in 2021, up there with Brady Tygart and Hunter Elliott) was supposed to be an infielder only 57 MSU at bats in two years and 9 starts on two remarkably bad teams. Maybe just injury?
B- Can Mershon, Kohler, or Larry play OF?

Reynolds is out for the year

basedog
01-28-2024, 10:41 AM
No doubt about this year for our team and Lemonis, do or die, we should be better but how much is the question in the Sec. There are some teams ahead of us that are loaded.

Two keys for the year, defense and pitching which has been as bad as I can recall over the years. No excuses this year!

Coach34
01-28-2024, 11:46 AM
I don't think it's stupid, much less f' stupid. That's an opinion of a Lemonis fan. I guess you like him.

I’m not a Lemon fan. Just using common sense. He has to produce this year or he’s gone. But making the Tourney and ending up in Regional final making us Top 32 at the end is not where you choose to fire someone. I think we have the talent to be in a Super or better. We’ll see how it shakes out pretty soon

The Federalist Engineer
01-28-2024, 02:50 PM

A freshman we are not talking about is Dotson. No scrimmage notes that I can recall. He was the 4th highest rated recruit.

Ranchdawg
01-28-2024, 03:42 PM
A couple of other items I want to see from Lemon coached team. The team have some fire in their performance like dirt bags. The team look prepared for the game. The starting pitchers go deeper in the game than 3 or 4 innings before going to the pen. And for sure making the SEC tourney and be a decent seed in a regional.

The last two seasons I haven?t seen that fire from the coaching staff and the players. Time to tell some players to take responsibility for their play. And for Lemon to get his a#& off his bucket and act like he?s at least concerned about the lack of play in the games.

Todd4State
01-28-2024, 04:35 PM
A freshman we are not talking about is Dotson. No scrimmage notes that I can recall. He was the 4th highest rated recruit.

Dotson could be a legit dual position player for us. Not sure if he helps at the plate this year but he can help us on the mound.

Todd4State
01-28-2024, 04:35 PM
A couple of other items I want to see from Lemon coached team. The team have some fire in their performance like dirt bags. The team look prepared for the game. The starting pitchers go deeper in the game than 3 or 4 innings before going to the pen. And for sure making the SEC tourney and be a decent seed in a regional.

The last two seasons I haven?t seen that fire from the coaching staff and the players. Time to tell some players to take responsibility for their play. And for Lemon to get his a#& off his bucket and act like he?s at least concerned about the lack of play in the games.

It's hard to have swag when you know your pitching staff is about to give up 10+.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-28-2024, 07:16 PM
"Our" standards haven't fallen at all. The expectation is and always has been Omaha for our program and a SR appearance at worst. The last two seasons haven't been up to our standard so Chris must get the team to that standard this year or I do think we move on from him. We've given him a fair opportunity and he has replaced his pitching coach. He has recruited well so the talent is here and in the pipe. But the development on the pitching side has been D3 level at best. And that's probably being nice.

The only exception to the above would be if he won the SEC regular season or the SEC Tournament or we did well enough to host a regional and then got upset in a regional. I can't see us moving on from Chris if any one of those three things happen. Something like that would probably involve some serious "that's baseball" going on in the regional.

Expectations are too high here to be OK with just making a regional and our recent history from 2016-2021 shows our true potential as a baseball program.

See you still have the "standard". I agree with your assessment. But I was replying to a comment that said "if we make the tournament, he's safe"

Coach34
01-28-2024, 07:28 PM
See you still have the "standard". I agree with your assessment. But I was replying to a comment that said "if we make the tournament, he's safe"

It's just a view and many people's view is skewed. Many people dont realize we had a winning record last season. We struggled in SEC play because of youth on the pitching staff. That's not the case in 2024. We should make a big jump this Spring

smootness
01-28-2024, 07:36 PM
I’m not a Lemon fan. Just using common sense. He has to produce this year or he’s gone. But making the Tourney and ending up in Regional final making us Top 32 at the end is not where you choose to fire someone. I think we have the talent to be in a Super or better. We’ll see how it shakes out pretty soon

You can not judge this season on its own. You have to factor in his entire tenure. Yes, he won the title. He also missed the tourney and not by a little 2 years in a row. We have been BAD for 2 years. Top 32 is not good enough after that. And especially if we have a team that in your opinion is capable of a Super or better. I would not set an ultimatum, but we need to be good this year or there is no point in keeping a coach who clearly can not cut it.

Coach34
01-28-2024, 07:44 PM
You can not judge this season on its own. You have to factor in his entire tenure. Yes, he won the title. He also missed the tourney and not by a little 2 years in a row. We have been BAD for 2 years. Top 32 is not good enough after that. And especially if we have a team that in your opinion is capable of a Super or better. I would not set an ultimatum, but we need to be good this year or there is no point in keeping a coach who clearly can not cut it.

We had crushing injuries in 2022
We were young in 2023 on the mound.

It's pretty easy to evaluate and see whats going on. We have a ridiculous conference schedule so hosting is unlikely. But this team playing well and being top 32 is a good season and shows we are on the right path. Recruiting remains strong. He made the change at PC and people are singing those praises. They absolutely love Parker. Win or be gone.

smootness
01-28-2024, 07:51 PM
We had crushing injuries in 2022
We were young in 2023 on the mound.

It's pretty easy to evaluate and see whats going on. We have a ridiculous conference schedule so hosting is unlikely. But this team playing well and being top 32 is a good season and shows we are on the right path. Recruiting remains strong. He made the change at PC and people are singing those praises. They absolutely love Parker. Win or be gone.

Excuses are just that. Being young on the mound is not an excuse for running out a flat out terrible team last year. Being top 32 does not show we are on the right path. That would be a meh year for MSU baseball, after two terrible ones. Terrible/terrible/meh is a bad enough stretch for MSU baseball, given where the program was before that, to be fired even after winning a national title. If recruiting has been and remains strong, then we should be winning. No excuses.

CaptainObvious
01-28-2024, 07:59 PM
Well let's hope 34 is right and the 12 SEC teams in front of State the past two years simply lay down and let State move back into the top 8-10 so sweet cheeks Chris and keep his job!

I feel pretty damn confident that all of them, including Alabama and UGA who don't give a rats ass about baseball as a Fanbase, also got better this year. So usually if everybody ahead of you gets better and you trust the roster you had from a bad season to make you a better coach, it don't usually work out like you want. He is depending on a bunch of previously bad pitchers, weak fielders and inconsistent batters along with a heck of a lot of newcomers to win 6-7 more SEC games this year than last.

I will be watching with a lot of skepticism until his charges show me something. A 2-7 SEC start again will raise huge concerns!

Coach34
01-28-2024, 08:14 PM
Excuses are just that. Being young on the mound is not an excuse for running out a flat out terrible team last year. Being top 32 does not show we are on the right path. That would be a meh year for MSU baseball, after two terrible ones. Terrible/terrible/meh is a bad enough stretch for MSU baseball, given where the program was before that, to be fired even after winning a national title. If recruiting has been and remains strong, then we should be winning. No excuses.

lol- you guys are out of your damn mind.

Corbin hasnt made a Super the last 2 years and their program is Top 5 in the country
McDonnell has missed the NCAA Tourney 2 of the last 3 seasons. Is his job on the line this year? Super or fired?
Bunko won the CWS and missed the Tourney last year- would you fire him if he misses again like many of you wanted to do with Lemon?

Top level NCAA Baseball coaching is hard. It's not as easy as it was when Polk was coaching. If we end up Top 32- no way in hell do you make a coaching change. Thats stupid

Coach34
01-28-2024, 08:21 PM
Excuses are just that. Being young on the mound is not an excuse for running out a flat out terrible team last year. .

And another reminder- we had a winning record last year. We werent terrible

Todd4State
01-28-2024, 11:20 PM
Well let's hope 34 is right and the 12 SEC teams in front of State the past two years simply lay down and let State move back into the top 8-10 so sweet cheeks Chris and keep his job!

I feel pretty damn confident that all of them, including Alabama and UGA who don't give a rats ass about baseball as a Fanbase, also got better this year. So usually if everybody ahead of you gets better and you trust the roster you had from a bad season to make you a better coach, it don't usually work out like you want. He is depending on a bunch of previously bad pitchers, weak fielders and inconsistent batters along with a heck of a lot of newcomers to win 6-7 more SEC games this year than last.

I will be watching with a lot of skepticism until his charges show me something. A 2-7 SEC start again will raise huge concerns!

It's amazing to me how every offseason every team in the SEC gets better except for MSU according to MSU fans.

basedog
01-29-2024, 03:11 AM
It's amazing to me how every offseason every team in the SEC gets better except for MSU according to MSU fans.

Last two years we have been as bad as I have seen since the retirement of Paul Greogory. Lemonis was awful in decision making and he let the ship sink. As far as fans at Msu, baseball fans aren't use to losing like football and basketball. And as far as Sec baseball goes, there are only a few teams that aren't going to win much, it's a demanding schedule overall.

I'm looking forward to the season, I just hope I see the real baseball program that I have followed since the very early 70's.

Todd4State
01-29-2024, 04:13 AM
Last two years we have been as bad as I have seen since the retirement of Paul Greogory. Lemonis was awful in decision making and he let the ship sink. As far as fans at Msu, baseball fans aren't use to losing like football and basketball. And as far as Sec baseball goes, there are only a few teams that aren't going to win much, it's a demanding schedule overall.

I'm looking forward to the season, I just hope I see the real baseball program that I have followed since the very early 70's.

The worst decision he made was keeping Foxhall after 2022.

CaptainObvious
01-29-2024, 08:41 AM

Maybe State did get better. Maybe everybody else got better too. Maybe State's better doesn't trump everybody else's better. My point is does squeaking into the SEC tourney as a 10 seed and squeaking into a Regional as a 2 seed just because SEC count as enough improvement to keep Lemonis if he goes 0-2 or 1-2 in Hoover and doesn't win that Regional? I say it shouldn't save his job, especially knowing what he is losing off this years team and having another rebuild in 2025. State shouldn't rebuild. State should reload.

basedog
01-29-2024, 08:49 AM
The worst decision he made was keeping Foxhall after 2022.

Yes, 3rd base was a bad decision on a few levels as well.

Duckdog
01-29-2024, 09:51 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what happened??????

Saltydog
01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Well, one thing is for certain. If we struggle in our pre-SEC slate we've got problems. Our pre-SEC schedule is weaker than it's been in years. Just looking at the RPI's from last season it looks like this:

Air Force (3 games): 140
Austin Peay (2): 199
Georgia Southern (3): 104
Jackson State (1): 261
Mount St. Mary's (3): 238
Southern MS (1): 21
Evansville (3): 72
South Alabama (1): 141
New Orleans (1): 94

Johnson85
01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
lol- you guys are out of your damn mind.

Corbin hasnt made a Super the last 2 years and their program is Top 5 in the country
McDonnell has missed the NCAA Tourney 2 of the last 3 seasons. Is his job on the line this year? Super or fired?
Bunko won the CWS and missed the Tourney last year- would you fire him if he misses again like many of you wanted to do with Lemon?

Top level NCAA Baseball coaching is hard. It's not as easy as it was when Polk was coaching. If we end up Top 32- no way in hell do you make a coaching change. Thats stupid

I think this is probably right, with the caveat that if you have a talented enough team, you can show plenty of signs of bad coaching while still doing ok. I assume the SEC talent is good enough that if we show the same level of coaching as the past couple of years, we're not going to be able to overcome that and it will be moot. But at least pre-NIL, we were in a position that we didn't have to accept the equivalent of a rich man's Stansbury in basketball. That may have changed now with NIL and most of the SEC caring about baseball.

SPDawgs
01-29-2024, 11:23 AM
Had a friend at all 3 scrimmages and he said that while the second and third games were better than the first they were still not very high quality. He is as optimist as it gets. pitching could see some improvement but defense was awful. Said looks like we may be in for another long year

Saltydog
01-29-2024, 01:09 PM

The LOVE FEST continues.........We were freaking 9-21 in the league........Yeah, we were terrible by MSU and SEC standards............

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2024, 08:49 PM

We were 14th 2 years ago, 13th last year, and missed on ALL of our top portal targets

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2024, 08:50 PM

13th in the SEC. That's acceptable to you?

EDIT: Arnett was 4-0 in the non con, and you wanted to bring him back too. Guess your at least consistent in prioritizing weak non con over SEC results

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2024, 09:01 PM

Did he miss Hoover 2 out of the last 2 seasons?

He has SIGNIFICANTLY less resources there. You know that

If he missed Hoover this season you bet they're firing him- and then fundraising whatever it takes to hire a big name

Top level NCAA Baseball coaching is hard. It's not as easy as it was when Polk was coaching.

14/14 and 13/14. Nobody is asking him to get a national seed every year but not being the doormat of the SEC seems reasonable

If we end up Top 32- no way in hell do you make a coaching change. Thats stupid

The funny thing is that we aren't building this year, we're at a relative peak and will be worse in '25. So a field of 32 finish -basically be 10th in the SEC and get bounced from a regional- is the best he can do in his 6TH SEASON, when his 7th season will be even worse... yeah, why should any fan believe in Lemo? He needs to prove he can actually build a program, not just be mediocre.

We fired JoMo after 2 bowl seasons. We fired Arnett after 1 disaster. Well Lemo has put back to back seasons as bad as what Arnett did, failed to Portal in the talent even you admitted he needed too, and you want to tell me I'm "out of my damned mind" for not believing he's best for us? Wasn't it "Lemonizick" that you called him all last season?

Coach34
01-29-2024, 09:35 PM
We had bad luck in 2022 with pitching injuries. Crippled us
2023? Too many Freshman pitchers but still eeked out a winning record

2024? I expect us to make a Super unless something crazy happens. We have the talent to make Omaha. Coaches see what others cant. Let the games begin

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2024, 10:27 PM
We had bad luck in 2022 with pitching injuries. Crippled us
2023? Too many Freshman pitchers but still eeked out a winning record

2024? I expect us to make a Super unless something crazy happens. We have the talent to make Omaha. Coaches see what others cant. Let the games begin

At lease we agree that anything less than the Supers is an under performance. I think he SHOULD be fired unless he hosts (top 8ish the SEC) or wins a regional as a 2 seed. Making the field of 32 isn't good enough.

Todd4State
01-30-2024, 02:13 AM
We were 14th 2 years ago, 13th last year, and missed on ALL of our top portal targets

We missed on all of our top portal targets or just your top targets?

There wasn't a Paul Skenes in this portal class for the mound. Montgomery was a weird situation where our coaches got misled a little bit and not by Braden. We got two potential rotation pieces in Stephens and Ligdon. We needed a third baseman and we got Kohler. We got Cam Schuelke who is a non-traditional JUCO guy who will be a big addition to the bullpen who dominated in the Cape. We got several guys through the draft that could help us out or will be big additions for us- Luke Dotson, Dylan Cupp, Nolan Stevens, Makhai Grant (injured but an elite talent), Jackson McKenzie, and Paul Spalitta. Montgomery would have been very nice to have but he isn't essential. Personally, I think he made a mistake because he could have been surrounded by Hines and Dakota Jordan in the lineup.

The biggest thing we needed was a pitching coach. We got a guy whose pitching staff finished ahead of Wes Johnson's this year and was one of the top staff's in the SEC. Believe it or not- and you don't- but we have some very talented arms that just need coaching. Holcombe, Loo, and Loftin are all MLB.com top 200 draft picks. Two of those guys will almost no doubt be in our rotation. We're not going to get three MLB.com top 200 talent guys through the portal like that.

Coach34
01-30-2024, 09:48 AM

There wasn't a Paul Skenes in this portal class for the mound. Montgomery was a weird situation where our coaches got misled a little bit and not by Braden. We got two potential rotation pieces in Stephens and Ligdon. We needed a third baseman and we got Kohler. We got Cam Schuelke who is a non-traditional JUCO guy who will be a big addition to the bullpen who dominated in the Cape. We got several guys through the draft that could help us out or will be big additions for us- Luke Dotson, Dylan Cupp, Nolan Stevens, Makhai Grant (injured but an elite talent), Jackson McKenzie, and Paul Spalitta. Montgomery would have been very nice to have but he isn't essential. Personally, I think he made a mistake because he could have been surrounded by Hines and Dakota Jordan in the lineup.

The biggest thing we needed was a pitching coach. We got a guy whose pitching staff finished ahead of Wes Johnson's this year and was one of the top staff's in the SEC. Believe it or not- and you don't- but we have some very talented arms that just need coaching. Holcombe, Loo, and Loftin are all MLB.com top 200 draft picks. Two of those guys will almost no doubt be in our rotation. We're not going to get three MLB.com top 200 talent guys through the portal like that.

Thats what too many arent getting. We dont lack talent. We are top 5 in the SEC in talent. We need the Sophs to take their step forward and the upper guys to play like they are capable. Thats it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-30-2024, 08:18 PM

We needed a Friday guy and you admitted so back in June/July. I broke it down then, almost every SEC team got better arms then we did from the Portal. It was a complete failure. Even that 3B you mention is the 3rd best 3B transferring into the West

Todd4State
01-30-2024, 09:03 PM
We needed a Friday guy and you admitted so back in June/July. I broke it down then, almost every SEC team got better arms than we did from the Portal. It was a complete failure. Even that 3B you mention is the 3rd best 3B transferring into the West

Everyone needs a Friday night guy every year.

Coach34
01-30-2024, 09:07 PM
We needed a Friday guy and you admitted so back in June/July. I broke it down then, almost every SEC team got better arms then we did from the Portal. It was a complete failure. Even that 3B you mention is the 3rd best 3B transferring into the West

Holcombe is going to be that guy they say

Todd4State
01-30-2024, 09:07 PM
Thats what too many arent getting. We dont lack talent. We are top 5 in the SEC in talent. We need the Sophs to take their step forward and the upper guys to play like they are capable. Thats it.

Yep. Of course we have too many "see it to believe it" fans.

I know I've said it a million times but I don't think our fans understand how bad Foxhall was.

basedog
01-30-2024, 09:11 PM
Yep. Of course we have too many "see it to believe it" fans.

I know I've said it a million times but I don't think our fans understand how bad Foxhall was.

I do, Cade wasn't the same. Not all Foxhall fault. Cade left today for Tampa, it's a pitchers catchers camp. Not all pitchers are catchers for Yankee organization are invited.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-30-2024, 10:04 PM
Everyone needs a Friday night guy every year.

And? What's you're point? We needed one and didn't get one, that's my point. A lot of other SEC teams were able to pull one and we weren't

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-30-2024, 10:06 PM
Holcombe is going to be that guy they say

Hope he is, but if I had a dime everytime a guy was pumped preseason and didn't pan out.... we'll have to wait and see before we crown him a Friday ace. He's got potential but has a lot of ground to make up from where he was last May

CaptainObvious
01-30-2024, 11:16 PM
We have had several Friday night guys prior to 2022. And then we took an All-American Closer and promised to make him a starter and he blew out his arm trying to throw the same velocity for 4 innings that he had always thrown for just 2 innings with a lead to work with. Seems like we have had a few coaches over the past couple of years that make promises to individuals that end up hurting the team. But alas, I guess Jans made promises to DJ and Tolu as well.

Homedawg
01-30-2024, 11:22 PM
Hope he is, but if I had a dime everytime a guy was pumped preseason and didn't pan out.... we'll have to wait and see before we crown him a Friday ace. He's got potential but has a lot of ground to make up from where he was last May

The flip side is for every time we had nobody Dakota Hudson shows up..... he came back after we cut his scholarship!! Players get better.

Homedawg
01-30-2024, 11:27 PM
We have had several Friday night guys prior to 2022. And then we took an All-American Closer and promised to make him a starter and he blew out his arm trying to throw the same velocity for 4 innings that he had always thrown for just 2 innings with a lead to work with. Seems like we have had a few coaches over the past couple of years that make promises to individuals that end up hurting the team. But alas, I guess Jans made promises to DJ and Tolu as well.

To be fair, sims had always been a starter and in 21 we used him for 4innings plus at the start of the year. So....

Todd4State
01-31-2024, 02:33 AM
I do, Cade wasn't the same. Not all Foxhall fault. Cade left today for Tampa, it's a pitchers catchers camp. Not all pitchers are catchers for Yankee organization are invited.

I hope he has a great year this year. Looking forward to following him and the other Diamond Dawgs. Always exciting when things are starting back up.

And? What's you're point? We needed one and didn't get one, that's my point. A lot of other SEC teams were able to pull one and we weren't

My point is a legit Friday night guy is going to be a need for everyone every single year. There aren't many "true" aces out there especially this year. The guy you're talking about may not even be LSU's ace. The top portal prospect for pitching ended up at Wake Forest and not even in the SEC partially because he struggled as a starter at Tennessee and had an ERA of 6.10 as a starter. That's what you're mad about not getting? If we can actually pull an ace that's legit of course we'll take them but everyone will take an ace if they can get them no matter their situation.

The flip side is for every time we had nobody Dakota Hudson shows up..... he came back after we cut his scholarship!! Players get better.

And THIS. MSU fans think that we have to get players out of the portal to be better. That's not always the case. And with what we have coming back the odds of someone stepping up are probably better than us landing a Paul Skenes and it working out for us.

Cooterpoot
01-31-2024, 01:26 PM
Going to be a surprise or two with our lineup. Well, one really isn't but one will be. Just have to see how soon it happens, but it's coming. And it's about time.