PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology has us in the last 4 byes

Coach34
01-26-2024, 03:21 PM
Huge game tomorrow

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2024-march-madness-men-field-predictions

7 SEC teams in currently- Mississippi on the bubble

ACC with only 3

parabrave
01-26-2024, 03:39 PM
Unless they get their collective shi* together they won't make it. At this point of the season they should be jelling and playing better but its quickly becoming the J and T show and everybody else. INOW they are not playing as a team.

msstate7
01-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Unless they get their collective shi* together they won't make it. At this point of the season they should be jelling and playing better but it's quickly becoming the J and T show and everybody else. INOW they are not playing as a team.

5 of our 6 sec games have been Q1 games - that's pretty tough. Tomorrow will make it 6/7. I'm trying to reserve judgement till the schedule isn't absolutely crazy.

parabrave
01-26-2024, 04:05 PM
5 of our 6 sec games have been Q1 games - that's pretty tough. Tomorrow will make it 6/7. I'm trying to reserve judgement till the schedule isn't absolutely crazy.

It isn't the quality of opponents or Qwhaterver. This team has really regressed.

Captain Falcon
01-26-2024, 04:09 PM
Yeah we are very bubbly now. And if we are going to stink on the road we have to win the big games like this at home.

klong-dog
01-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately about to drop the next 3. I hope we still have a pulse after this stretch.

MoreCowbell
01-26-2024, 07:07 PM
I am legit surprised we are projected in right now. We are lucky we snuck in last year, it is giving us the benefit of the doubt.

msudawg1200
01-26-2024, 07:49 PM
Yeah, and we've won one of them. Got to beat some good teams. Need to win at least 1 of the next three(Auburn, at Bama, at Ole Miss). I'm calling 0-3.

smootness
01-26-2024, 07:57 PM
It isn't the quality of opponents or Qwhaterver. This team has really regressed.

It is definitely the quality of opponents.

MetEdDawg
01-26-2024, 08:01 PM
I said last week I didn't see us making the tournament.

Reality is this team can't score and it shows up too much both at home and on the road.

Jans is a pretty solid defensive coach. But there are too many scorers and smart coaches in today's game to beat god defense. You have to be able to shoot the ball and we simply cannot do that effectively enough outside the paint or at the free throw line consistently enough.

msugolf
01-27-2024, 06:48 AM
I said last week I didn't see us making the tournament.

Reality is this team can't score and it shows up too much both at home and on the road.

Jans is a pretty solid defensive coach. But there are too many scorers and smart coaches in today's game to beat god defense. You have to be able to shoot the ball and we simply cannot do that effectively enough outside the paint or at the free throw line consistently enough.

This is the reason I preferred hiring an offensive minded coach. But MState alums love their defense for some reason, in every sport. Not sure if our boosters did their homework on Jans but this is always how his teams have played. He was just doing it against less skilled players in a weaker conference. You can win a lot of games being more aggressive on defense when other teams cant shoot.

The thing that concerns me the most though is the roster going forward. There isnt any buzz on the recruiting front and his track record of portal players is not looking good either.

MetEdDawg
01-27-2024, 09:52 AM
This is the reason I preferred hiring an offensive minded coach. But MState alums love their defense for some reason, in every sport. Not sure if our boosters did their homework on Jans but this is always how his teams have played. He was just doing it against less skilled players in a weaker conference. You can win a lot of games being more aggressive on defense when other teams cant shoot.

The thing that concerns me the most though is the roster going forward. There isnt any buzz on the recruiting front and his track record of portal players is not looking good either.

I really like Jans. Thought he was a phenomenal hire that was tracking towards a massive coaching job prior to his incident.

But I do have major concerns about our ability to score enough points long term to be competitive as a Top 25 type team.

He's going to have to give a little on his defensive requirements in order to bring in and develop shooters at the level required to win big.

PGHBulldogBG
01-27-2024, 09:59 AM
I still think Jans is a great coach but I do have major concerns about his recruiting. We clearly have a talent deficit compared to most of the other SEC teams. I can tell our team plays hard and has a hunger to win unlike a lot of previous MState hoops teams, but he is going to need to bring in better shooters if we want to not be on the bubble every year. UK, UT, AU, Bama, and Ark are recruiting at a higher level than the rest of the SEC and it has shown over the past 5 years. UF, Mizzou, Ole Miss and USCe have all upgraded their coaching staff too. ATM always has tough teams with good defenses under Buzz kind of like Jans. The SEC is going to continue to get tougher with these better coaches so Jans has to keep pace.

Coach34
01-27-2024, 11:41 AM
The only lack we have talent-wise is shooting. That should get better with recruiting.

Those banging his recruiting- he brought in Hubbard- one of the top SEC freshmen. He also got Marshall's leading scorer- it just didnt work out. The guy didnt like it here.

msstate7
01-27-2024, 05:54 PM
Delete

Coach34
01-27-2024, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately about to drop the next 3. I hope we still have a pulse after this stretch.

Mr. Reverse Jinx comes thru again. Good job

msstate7
01-27-2024, 05:56 PM
It is definitely the quality of opponents.

Of course it is. Common sense

basedog
01-27-2024, 06:25 PM
Big win today. Should gain a little confidence going forward. Rebounding and defense over come our weakness. We played clutch down the stretch today. Jan’s is a good Coach, his teams play hard and that is like JWS coined “that’s a plus”.

Dawgology
01-27-2024, 06:35 PM
Mr. Reverse Jinx comes thru again. Good job

Klong doing work!

chef dixon
01-27-2024, 07:52 PM
As much as we like to pile on this team, we are going to be really difficult to leave out of the tournament as long as we don't completely implode. We already have the type of wins necessary to get in

maroonmania
01-27-2024, 08:00 PM
The only lack we have talent-wise is shooting. That should get better with recruiting.

Those banging his recruiting- he brought in Hubbard- one of the top SEC freshmen. He also got Marshall's leading scorer- it just didnt work out. The guy didnt like it here.

Even if we aren't great shooting from the field, we could be a significantly better team if we could just make a normal % of free throws. The win today was great but if we had hit a decent % from the free throw line the margin of victory would have nearly doubled. They outscored us by 5 from the line on 2 less attempts. We shot 50% (9-18) while Auburn shot 88% (14-16). Just so frustrating that we leave SO many gimme points at the free throw line. It absolutely cost us the Bama game already and will continue to cost us but I guess we are what we are.

Coach34
01-27-2024, 08:10 PM
I agree 100% that its frustrating but we are who we are

MoreCowbell
01-27-2024, 08:18 PM
I really like Jans. Thought he was a phenomenal hire that was tracking towards a massive coaching job prior to his incident.

But I do have major concerns about our ability to score enough points long term to be competitive as a Top 25 type team.

He's going to have to give a little on his defensive requirements in order to bring in and develop shooters at the level required to win big.

What incident?

MetEdDawg
01-27-2024, 08:34 PM
What incident?

Back in 2015 he was at a bar slapping a couple women's butts, called one a b word and was apparently extremely drunk while it all got caught on camera. He was married and had two kids at the time.

Apparently led to some incident at the bar as well and he was also confronted about his behavior by a female athlete from another school.

Bowling Green fired him almost immediately after that.

He's done very well for himself since that time. I think he's got the intensity and passion needed to get us where we want to be.

MoreCowbell
01-27-2024, 11:07 PM
Back in 2015 he was at a bar slapping a couple women's butts, called one a b word and was apparently extremely drunk while it all got caught on camera. He was married and had two kids at the time.

Apparently led to some incident at the bar as well and he was also confronted about his behavior by a female athlete from another school.

He's done very well for himself since that time. I think he's got the intensity and passion needed to get us where we want to be.

Oh yeah forgot about that

viverlibre
01-27-2024, 11:11 PM

Sounds like boys being boys.

starkvegasdawg
01-27-2024, 11:49 PM
Better a woman's butt than a cab driver.

msstate7
01-27-2024, 11:58 PM
If aTm misses tourney, I could definetely see them steal beard

CaptainObvious
01-28-2024, 12:22 AM

I can see how a guy who had been staying in thst booming metropolis of Huntington, West Virginia would have a problem with little ol' Starkville, Ms. Must have been upset we didn't have a Target.

PGHBulldogBG
01-28-2024, 12:45 AM
If aTm misses tourney, I could definetely see them steal beard

Beard is going to Louisville most likely. That to me seems like the perfect fit

R2Dawg
01-28-2024, 08:30 AM

He going somewhere; he didn't go to Oxford to stay there. Just to clean his rep up and erase the past. Funny doing that in Oxford.

msstate7
01-28-2024, 08:33 AM

Louisville does seem like a possibility. Payne has to be done this season. Unfortunately, it could be a spot to watch for with Jans too

ETA... Jans' recruiting could stop him from getting a blue blood job though

maroonmania
01-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Louisville does seem like a possibility. Payne has to be done this season. Unfortunately, it could be a spot to watch for with Jans too

ETA... Jans' recruiting could stop him from getting a blue blood job though

That's certainly possible. Recruiting high level talent in basketball is probably more important than in other sport. No easy way to be elite in basketball without some top line talent.

StarkVegasSteve
01-28-2024, 11:09 AM
I can see how a guy who had been staying in thst booming metropolis of Huntington, West Virginia would have a problem with little ol' Starkville, Ms. Must have been upset we didn't have a Target.

I don't think it was Starkville. I think it was Jans. He came from playing for Dan D'Antoni, who basically teaches defense being optional, to Jans who uses it as a requirement to get minutes. He didn't want to play D and then got butthurt he wasn't getting minutes. Couple that with his shooting not being what we thought it would be early on and you get the situation that happened.