PDA

View Full Version : Ugh- bad news for Rogers- as well as us

Coach34
01-25-2024, 05:01 PM
https://twitter.com/michaelwbratton/status/1750620701986316321?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

Dawgology
01-25-2024, 05:17 PM
Enlightening

Saltydog
01-25-2024, 05:19 PM
Looks like the post may have been deleted...........

parabrave
01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
What?? The Ncaa is going to Give State a retroactive death penalty to show Michigan it means business??

Leroy Jenkins
01-25-2024, 05:26 PM
https://x.com/michaelwbratton/status/1750620701986316321?s=46&t=DGtd-fTS2I8QetuRZ9flcA

mparkerfd20
01-25-2024, 05:32 PM
Those SOBs going all in on spending $$.

Rawdawg
01-25-2024, 05:43 PM
Whether or not it works out for them is TBA, however their use of NIL and the transfer portal to improve their roster instead of ?maintain? is how it should be done. If you?re not improving you?re not getting better.

Saltydog
01-25-2024, 05:43 PM
Yep and it's going to pay dividends for them too. Only game on their schedule right now I say is a loss is UGA. They can win the rest.

msstate7
01-25-2024, 05:50 PM
Man, I really hope it implodes

Coursesuper
01-25-2024, 06:19 PM
They have to go for broke now and they know it. Spend the $$$ and reap the dividends later. They are pushing for inclusion in the next level and this is how the game is played today.

BeardoMSU
01-25-2024, 06:44 PM
Man, I really hope it implodes

https://youtu.be/ClvoDTtUzCw?si=uSCusWQHcvLr2zgp

CaptainObvious
01-25-2024, 07:22 PM
It's called the Miami Marlins theory. Buy a 1 year team to win a Championship and then unload all the payroll and start over. Hopefully it is a colossal failure for the Bearsharks!

ArrowDawg
01-25-2024, 07:47 PM
Whether or not it works out for them is TBA, however their use of NIL and the transfer portal to improve their roster instead of ?maintain? is how it should be done. If you?re not improving you?re not getting better.

Good for them. They want to win.

preachermatt83
01-25-2024, 07:51 PM
They are in the hole as an athletic dept and having to literally take out loans to pay nil. I don’t want that. It will pay off in the short term BUT long term it’s not sustainable and will result in a massive crash.

Cowbell
01-25-2024, 08:04 PM
I'm 100% pulling for them to implode. I would also 100% trade places with them today.

parabrave
01-25-2024, 08:04 PM
They are in the hole as an athletic dept and having to literally take out loans to pay nil. I don’t want that. It will pay off in the short term BUT long term it’s not sustainable and will result in a massive crash.

Kinda like taking loans from escrow funds then paying them back before being caught/ Or it sounds like they are pulling a Madoff.

chef dixon
01-25-2024, 08:08 PM

I don't buy that. They have alumni with fat stacks of old money and they are ready to spend it. It's not just going to be this year. It's going to be every year. It is a lifestyle.

It honestly doesn't bother me anymore after the first couple portal guys they got. It is what it is. They are immediately the favorite for any big time portal prospect. What's happening over there cheapens the whole thing to the point where it's hard to even invest emotional energy into it. Here's to hoping it implodes so we can laugh our ass off

lastmajordog
01-25-2024, 08:27 PM
Only hope of imploding is an injury to Dart or a Locker room implosion.They have the basis of a really good team, especially receiver’s, they also are overdue for some major injury scenario’s. Also some SEC teams that were down this year that they won by one TD will be difficult to replicate two years in a row.....JMHO

Tripp McNeely
01-25-2024, 09:03 PM
I don't buy that. They have alumni with fat stacks of old money and they are ready to spend it. It's not just going to be this year. It's going to be every year. It is a lifestyle.

It honestly doesn't bother me anymore after the first couple portal guys they got. It is what it is. They are immediately the favorite for any big time portal prospect. What's happening over there cheapens the whole thing to the point where it's hard to even invest emotional energy into it. Here's to hoping it implodes so we can laugh our ass off

Yeah, but they don't have Bama, LSU, UGA, UF, A&M money...but somehow they're spending like they do...doesn't add up

Tripp McNeely
01-25-2024, 09:25 PM
om is the 2nd smallest school in the SEC (I believe that's still correct). Several schools in the SEC have law schools...I can think of 7 off the top of my head, and trust me, as a lawyer myself, 95% of us aren't making $300k+ a year...there is nothing about their alumni's characteristics that jumps out at you and says, "oh okay, that's where the money is coming from (if you compare them to even the top 2/3rds of the SEC)"...its just a mystery that doesn't make any sense. There is nothing about their alumni's demographics that would suggest that they are able to spend what they spend versus the rest of the SEC (now that spending money is perfectly "legal")...it just doesn't make any sense.

parabrave
01-25-2024, 10:11 PM
om is the 2nd smallest school in the SEC (I believe that's still correct). Several schools in the SEC have law schools...I can think of 7 off the top of my head, and trust me, as a lawyer myself, 95% of us aren't making $300k+ a year...there is nothing about their alumni's characteristics that jumps out at you and says, "oh okay, that's where the money is coming from (if you compare them to even the top 2/3rds of the SEC)"...its just a mystery that doesn't make any sense. There is nothing about their alumni's demographics that would suggest that they are able to spend what they spend versus the rest of the SEC (now that spending money is perfectly "legal")...it just doesn't make any sense.

Problem is they have 2 rich ass bastards that are alumni who have made probably 3 times as much as all lawyers combined. And they have a richassed lawyer on the coast who played for them back in the 60s who gives freely.

Offshore Dawg
01-25-2024, 10:43 PM
look into what dickie is donating. I think somebody said he gave 35 mil just to stand on the sidelines and sniff jocks. not sure but he has the coin.

DEDawg
01-25-2024, 10:51 PM
They are in the hole as an athletic dept and having to literally take out loans to pay nil. I don?t want that. It will pay off in the short term BUT long term it?s not sustainable and will result in a massive crash.

Loans? How?

Maroonthirteen
01-25-2024, 10:51 PM
So... next thanksgiving night.... what is the nfl matchup? Hope it's a good game to watch.

Tripp McNeely
01-25-2024, 11:17 PM
look into what dickie is donating. I think somebody said he gave 35 mil just to stand on the sidelines and sniff jocks. not sure but he has the coin.

The rest of the SEC West (which I know doesn't exist anymore) has 3-4 Dickie Scruggs to their one...that ain't it

parabrave
01-26-2024, 04:21 AM
The rest of the SEC West (which I know doesn't exist anymore) has 3-4 Dickie Scruggs to their one...that ain't it

They also have a few very wealthy Finance guys, one who lives in NO who gives alot. And a guy who owns a buttload of bug jets up in memphis.
Alot of old family money from the delta also.

chef dixon
01-26-2024, 06:57 AM

I mean the total NIL in this haul is probably what 5-10mil? I know it's hard for us common folk to believe but that's a drop in the bucket for a lot of these guys combined and not to mention their general fan base donation is more rabid than a lot when it comes to giving money.

Of course other schools have people with money, but they aren't willing to spend it so freely in order to boost the "status" of their school, which has always been their M.O.

Roy Munson
01-26-2024, 07:53 AM
Heard second hand from what would be a very reliable source if true that their plan was to bring in 17 million this year.

msstate7
01-26-2024, 08:09 AM
So... next thanksgiving night.... what is the nfl matchup? Hope it's a good game to watch.

NFL doesn't release schedule till after draft. It's a prime time event... hell, everything nfl is prime time

msstate7
01-26-2024, 08:14 AM
I love with OM is doing in the portal. On paper, they have a very nice team, but I don't think it's a given they perform well as a team. Bringing in so many guys making this much money, could create some pretty strong resentments. It could take the drive away from some guys who basically play to protect themselves for the draft. Sounds funny, but I think this will be kiffin's toughest year molding this team into a contender. If he pulls it off, he's outstanding

Maroonthirteen
01-26-2024, 08:14 AM
The loan bit is a myth. No, they are collecting alot of cash from alumni.

Yeah other school schools may have 3-4 with Scruggs money but are they willing to put in millions like he does every year? Maybe but I don't see these other sec schools dominating the portal. Maybe it is because they don't need to (talent already in place). But until I see OM lose 5 or games In a season, then I'll be convinced they can not continue sign a lot of talent.

Nil and transfer portal sucks.

msstate7
01-26-2024, 08:16 AM

Yeah other school schools may have 3-4 Scruggs money but are they willing to put in millions like he does every year? Maybe but I don't see these other sec schools dominating the portal. Maybe it is because they don't need to (talent already in place). But until I see OM lose 5 or games In a season, then I'll be convinced they can keep doing this.

Georgia and bama have been 1-2 in recruiting for years now. They could dominate the portal also if they chose to, but championships are won organically from HS recruiting. OM trying to do this way will be a great case study on the portal.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-26-2024, 08:38 AM
Ohio state is (supposedly) spending $13m in NIL this cycle. Texas $15m. Based on that, I'd say OM has to be giving at least $10m. They are landing guys OSU and Texas want, and face the same need to pay their own roster.

Honestly, taking out a loan to pay for NIL is smart. Their athletic budget is $133m give or take, and football brings in over half of the revenue. Spending an extra 4-8% (to add $5-10m onto the $5ish million booster provided NIL pool) will boost football by more than enough to make up for the money. The best marketing you can do is win in a flashy way, that's what they have with Lane and a stacked roster.

State runs a $5-10m surplus every year. Where does that money go? I hear "rainy day fund" be used, but what exactly does that mean? And how many years in a row of banking 5-10m does it take to feel confident that fund is adequate so we can start spending the money? Are we just blowing the fund every couple years on buyout out our coaches that only sucked because we refuse to pay enough to get a good one? I doubt it, because every time we fire a coach it's all about "do the boosters want to pay $X" which doesn't make sense if it's coming from the universities rainy day fund.

Can you imagine what an extra $2m in football coaching budget and $3m in NIL would do for us? It would raise our floor by at least a win a season

To all those saying it's

msstate7
01-26-2024, 08:40 AM
Can the school use athletic money for NIL? Surely not

defiantdog
01-26-2024, 09:16 AM
Can the school use athletic money for NIL? Surely not
No, it's separate

CarolinaDawgs
01-26-2024, 10:53 AM

Yeah other school schools may have 3-4 with Scruggs money but are they willing to put in millions like he does every year? Maybe but I don't see these other sec schools dominating the portal. Maybe it is because they don't need to (talent already in place). But until I see OM lose 5 or games In a season, then I'll be convinced they can not continue sign a lot of talent.

*Checks their 2022 record*

oh yea.. 8-5

MBDawg601
01-26-2024, 11:15 AM
*Checks their 2022 record*

oh yea.. 8-5

Bingo.

Too many drinking the OM kool-aid these days.. if I wanted to read about how good Ole Miss will be next year I would be browsing the Rebel football forums.

sleepy dawg
01-26-2024, 11:25 AM

what is TBA?

Saltydog
01-26-2024, 11:43 AM
The NIL money is separate from the athletic department. Now, their NIL is taking out loans but you portray it as the athletic department is and that's not true.

Saltydog
01-26-2024, 11:45 AM

Maybe so but you're forgetting all the doctor's they have and it's a bunch.........

State82
01-26-2024, 11:50 AM
Maybe so but you're forgetting all the doctor's they have and it's a bunch.........

They do. But there is a significant number of MD's in Mississippi that are MSU undergraduates.

Tripp McNeely
01-26-2024, 12:03 PM

Yeah, but just like law school, less than half those folks went to om for undergrad. So, their loyalties likely lie elsewhere...hell, if it's really like the law school, 30-40% actually went to State for undergrad!

Dawgology
01-26-2024, 12:55 PM
Yeah, we all hope they fail but in our hearts we know they are playing the new game like it’s supposed to be played. They have leadership and boosters who want to win and will do what it takes to achieve that. We do not.

Coursesuper
01-26-2024, 02:15 PM
Yeah, we all hope they fail but in our hearts we know they are playing the new game like it’s supposed to be played. They have leadership and boosters who want to win and will do what it takes to achieve that. We do not.

Exactly