PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a huge NFL fan but there is one thing that makes the NFL

R2Dawg
01-21-2024, 06:55 PM
a great product - the f.act that any team can have success. Not just those with money or huge market fans, etc. And having both assures you nothing - you might finish last.

Small market teams thrive - Buffalo, KC, GB, Tampa, etc. While big market teams NY, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Denver, LA, etc. may or may not have good teams/years.

College football has been broke on this regard for decades but got worse with NIL and transfer portal. For those that argue against - when has a small market team broke into a real threat to NC? TCU bout only one and they tanked and only got in due to weak Big 12. Give me another one? I can't think of one.

msstate7
01-21-2024, 07:01 PM
Salary cap is a huge deal.

dawgday166
01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
This is why the NCAA has no teeth. The blue bloods ain't willing to make it competitive across the board for all P5 teams. They should cut schollys down to 70 too. Especially now with the transfer portal.

CaptainObvious
01-21-2024, 07:13 PM
I'd say TCU is an extremely small university enrollment wise. 12,785 students.

But it looks like you are considering the G5 as a small market compared to the P5 big dogs.

Central Florida with over 50,000 enrollment belies the comparison, don't you think. It's almost as if when Notre Dame(still hard to get into) allowed increased enrollment, their football program took a step back. It is just hard to compare colleges in lesser divisions to NFL cities. It is like comparing NFL to MLB. KC football thrives. KC baseball sucks. Until this year Houston football sucked while the Astros have been very successful over the past few years as large market teams.

Pros seems more about what an owner is willing to spend College seems to be more about what the fans are willing to spend.

SailingDawg
01-21-2024, 07:16 PM
You're right about the potential for success across the board. I watch the NFL for the athleticism and amazing plays that are sure to happen each game, especially when it comes to the playoffs.

chef dixon
01-21-2024, 08:42 PM
The NCAA set up has always been a joke in that regard. Now it's even worse. It's turning into whose fans donate the most money.

I think soon it's going to really cheapen the enjoyment of success

HoopsDawg
01-21-2024, 08:46 PM
Imagine if an NFL team got the first 25 picks in the first round of the draft...every single year.

Slight exaggeration but that's basically Bama.

Makes it tough on the MSUs of the world.

Coach34
01-21-2024, 09:51 PM
Imagine if an NFL team got the first 25 picks in the first round of the draft...every single year.

Yes. That is where college football is. The Top 6-7 schools will get almost all of the Top 50 players in the current set-up

bgover4
01-21-2024, 10:22 PM
Haven't y'all heard....NFL is scripted ��

Leroy Jenkins
01-21-2024, 11:28 PM
I saw an NFL stat (don't know if it's true) that in 64% of games the winning team was behind at some point in the 4th quarter. That just seemed like a huge number for me, since I'm much more of a CFB fan and blowouts are the norm.
Parity keeps people watching.

sleepy dawg
01-22-2024, 08:59 AM
NFL is the best sport to watch by far to me. I love sports, but nothing comes close to what the NFL puts out.

gtowndawg
01-22-2024, 09:55 AM

Yep, exactly. We're not picking until the 7th round.

msstate7
01-22-2024, 09:58 AM
But CFB/TV doesn't have a reason to fix it. People like to watch the blue bloods.