PDA

View Full Version : All you need to know

BuckyIsAB****
01-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Nick Saban was still having interviews for next years staff when about 60 current players on Alabamas roster came to him not long after the rose bowl and demanded more money or they were gone. Player number 1 being milroe who wanted a million. Then Saban quit.

It has got to change.

msstate7
01-20-2024, 08:41 PM
If you want it to change, don't watch or attend

dawgday166
01-20-2024, 08:46 PM

That's the answer right there. Bread and circuses.

ETA: The change needs to happen from the top down, not the bottom up.

ScooterDog
01-20-2024, 08:51 PM
Well, how many have quit? Anybody know?

RocketDawg
01-20-2024, 08:54 PM
Nick Saban was still having interviews for next years staff when about 60 current players on Alabamas roster came to him not long after the rose bowl and demanded more money or they were gone. Player number 1 being milroe who wanted a million. Then Saban quit.

It has got to change.

Can't blame Saban if that's true.

I read where Saban is going to stick around and have input to the football program. Isn't that sort of a slap in the face to DeBoer?

HancockCountyDog
01-20-2024, 09:02 PM

It has got to change.

I would guess the 200 million he has made while at Bama will let him down easy.

If he had been out front figuring out how to get the players paid years ago, we wouldn’t be in this mess, but he was happy paying kids under the table and having a major talent advantage so he kept his mouth shut.

Now that he can’t have a monster talent advantage, he is taking his ball and going home.

dawgday166
01-20-2024, 09:03 PM

I read where Saban is going to stick around and have input to the football program. Isn't that sort of a slap in the face to DeBoer?

I blame Saban for most of it. His huge salary started this snowball rolling. And I said that at the time when his salary kept getting bumped up every year. At one time he made almost twice what the top paid NFL coach did. Now top NFL coaches make right at what he made last year..

Yea, I'm wondering how it will work with Saban still around in the shadows.

dawgday166
01-20-2024, 09:04 PM
I would guess the 200 million he has made while at Bama will let him down easy.

If he had been out front figuring out how to get the players paid years ago, we wouldn?t be in this mess, but he was happy paying kids under the table and having a major talent advantage so he kept his mouth shut.

Now that he can?t have a monster talent advantage, he is taking his ball and going home.

This too.

ETA: He'll march in support of "social justice" issues with them tho cause ... He cares SMH.

CaptainObvious
01-20-2024, 09:12 PM
This too.

ETA: He'll march in support of "social justice" issues with them tho cause ... He cares SMH.

But, if your boss offers to over-pay you to keep you, do you tell him " Absolutely Not!" That would be unfair the Bob in the mailroom! "

Coach34
01-20-2024, 09:19 PM
I dont see how they do it.

basedog
01-20-2024, 09:24 PM
I don’t doubt players asking or demanding money but I can’t see 60 players.

Leroy Jenkins
01-20-2024, 09:27 PM
His daughter let it slip that he was retiring at the end of the year months ago.

dawgday166
01-20-2024, 09:28 PM
But, if your boss offers to over-pay you to keep you, do you tell him " Absolutely Not!" That would be unfair the Bob in the mailroom! "

Well ... As a matter of fact I've said similar about my industry relative to compensation. Hadn't turned anything down for the janitor yet tho LOL. When in Rome yada, yada, yada.

This is a much bigger topic overall. Another mantra we've been indoctrinated with is everything has to "grow, grow, grow". Now ... Everything is consolidating towards the top. CFB merging into mega conferences is a microcosm of the consolidation of huge corporations gobbling up smaller ones and/or merging with other huge corporations, which eliminates almost all competition. Before long, a few banks and corporations gonna control every aspect of our lives.

Deep topic. Better stop before Scooba boots me.

ETA: My industry is changing very rapidly in a similar manner as CFB.

All this started slowly many decades ago and has been building momentum while also getting the masses used to it. I picked up on it in my industry 25 or so years ago. Now, it's massive and rolling downhill very, very fast.

DawgFromOxford
01-20-2024, 10:05 PM
I blame Saban for most of it. His huge salary started this snowball rolling. And I said that at the time when his salary kept getting bumped up every year. At one time he made almost twice what the top paid NFL coach did. Now top NFL coaches make right at what he made last year..

Yea, I'm wondering how it will work with Saban still around in the shadows.

Eh not sure how Saban gets the blame for taking the money Alabama was willing to pay him. I'm sure if you look at Alabama and Tuscaloosa pre Saban, its a pretty easy investment for them considering the return they got on it

RiverCityDawg
01-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Well ... As a matter of fact I've said similar about my industry relative to compensation. Hadn't turned anything down for the janitor yet tho LOL. When in Rome yada, yada, yada.

This is a much bigger topic overall. Another mantra we've been indoctrinated with is everything has to "grow, grow, grow". Now ... Everything is consolidating towards the top. CFB merging into mega conferences is a microcosm of the consolidation of huge corporations gobbling up smaller ones and/or merging with other huge corporations, which eliminates almost all competition. Before long, a few banks and corporations gonna control every aspect of our lives.

All this started slowly many decades ago and has been building momentum while also getting the masses used to it. I picked up on it in my industry 25 or so years ago. Now, it's massive and rolling downhill very, very fast.

Cannabis?***

parabrave
01-20-2024, 10:19 PM

It has got to change.

I think Saban had decided to retire long before that. Hell just watch any interview before the season and you could tell this was his last year. Plus he really never complained about the NIL but the transfer portal

parabrave
01-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Cannabis?***

Nah that is one of TUSKs areas/

dawgday166
01-20-2024, 10:22 PM
Eh not sure how Saban gets the blame for taking the money Alabama was willing to pay him. I'm sure if you look at Alabama and Tuscaloosa pre Saban, its a pretty easy investment for them considering the return they got on it

Remember when he was dabbling with Texas and Bama gave him a huge raise?

The real "return on investment" is showing up now. I guess all those boosters (and others at other universities) didn't Bank enough coin from earlier investment returns and that's why there are NIL funds college administrators are now begging the fans to contribute to. They looking for us to bail their asses out now LOL.

Sorta like 2008 financial crisis. Who paid to bail out the bankers? And what did they STILL keep doing after being bailed out?

Big money makes big mistakes and then they turn to working folks to bail them out. Happens every time.

ETA: Probably more blame on Boosters than Saban tho.

dawgday166
01-20-2024, 10:23 PM
Cannabis?***

Lol ... Not quite. Almost tho haha.

maroonmania
01-20-2024, 10:41 PM

A lot of Mississippi State fans have done this and the only change made has been that our football program has declined relative to other SEC programs including the other MS SEC football program who is all in on buying players.

Turfdawg67
01-20-2024, 11:27 PM

It started when the colleges could start making major money. It's taken a couple decades, but the decline started then. Big TV contracts, then salaries, now paying the players... it's over folks. Soon there will be a players union and then we'll have the Auburn/Yella Wood Tigers... and finally The Yella Tigers playing at Auburn, AL.

RockyDog
01-20-2024, 11:32 PM
Georgia is claiming that they had Caleb Downs all but signed until his family came back and told them they wanted 1.5 million. Supposedly their offer was 500k max so he took what Ohio State was giving.

Sounds like bullshit, but nobody is going to listen to the Bama and Georgia crying and have any sympathy when they have gotten whichever 5 stars they have wanted for years.

DawgFromOxford
01-21-2024, 12:06 AM

The real "return on investment" is showing up now. I guess all those boosters (and others at other universities) didn't Bank enough coin from earlier investment returns and that's why there are NIL funds college administrators are now begging the fans to contribute to. They looking for us to bail their asses out now LOL.

Sorta like 2008 financial crisis. Who paid to bail out the bankers? And what did they STILL keep doing after being bailed out?

Big money makes big mistakes and then they turn to working folks to bail them out. Happens every time.

Both can be true. Saban made great money but it pales in comparison to what Bama made off of him. And both greatly profited off college kids who hardly made a dime if any.

There?s a new expense in the business model. Like any business they?re trying to pass the expense off to the consumer. You can hate but that?s capitalism

RockyDog
01-21-2024, 12:25 AM
Both can be true. Saban made great money but it pales in comparison to what Bama made off of him. And both greatly profited off college kids who hardly made a dime if any.

There?s a new expense in the business model. Like any business they?re trying to pass the expense off to the consumer. You can hate but that?s capitalism

Then stop the charade and give the “poor kids” a piece of the pie and stop with the bullshit of telling Average Joe Fan “for a measly 20 bucks a month you can help the collective buy players”

dawgday166
01-21-2024, 12:55 AM

I guess I kinda blame Saban for setting the precedent that has now evolved into the coaching salaries, buyouts, etc. ... which is what I think the players probably notice the most. I also blame the SEC and NCAA cause they could have self regulated all this IMO. I saw the beginning of the end back when this first started escalating probably around 10 or 12 maybe 15 or so years ago.

Now we're here. And I've been kinda pissed about that too, as everyone is.

"Capitalism" is a broad term. There are different forms of capitalism. What we're practicing now isn't a good one. Not gonna get into that discussion and ain't trying to win any debates either.

I've watched a lot of threads for a long time now about NIL before finally chiming in. IMO it ain't the "greedy" players' fault. They are just following the examples of the "adults" (University Presidents/ADs/Coaches, Boosters, CEOs, etc). And they're going "crazy" with it ... just like the adults have been doing for almost 2 decades or more now.

ETA: Seriously ... how many talking heads (who mostly don't know shit) making well over 6 figures and some making 7 figures are actually needed on ESPN and SEC Network talking about college sports (but specifically football) nonstop. Just an example.

I watch none of them anymore. I only watch games now and very few of those. MSU and key SEC games mostly. Then the CFP if I think it's a good matchup. I watch none of the hype leading up to big games. Same in NFL. I'm very selective in what I actually sit down and watch.

DawgFromOxford
01-21-2024, 12:55 AM
Then stop the charade and give the ?poor kids? a piece of the pie and stop with the bullshit of telling Average Joe Fan ?for a measly 20 bucks a month you can help the collective buy players?

I can get behind this. NIL is a joke in its current form. But the schools aren?t going to willingly handover money they?ve been making off the backs of these kids if they don?t have to.

I also don?t fault the kids for trying to get as much of the pie as they can. Most of them will never go on to play professional sports and I imagine a fair chunk of players will take a pay cut when they leave college to take a real job

The current system sucks. No way around it

Todd4State
01-21-2024, 01:49 AM
This doesn't really surprise me even if it is exaggerated to some degree. Alabama has always wanted the elite of the elite in football as far as recruiting goes and to their credit they have historically made moves to bring in those types of players. Part of that was bringing in Saban to start with.

The guys that they target are the phenoms who show out at the Under Armour combines and have been known prospects for years and are legit 5 star guys. And as a result many of those players in this era want money to perform in college. In the hundred dollar hand shake era I don't think any of them were commanding a million dollars like some of them are now though. If Alabama's NIL is less developed than we realize they may very well have built themselves a house made of cards. And if that happens it wouldn't shock me if the bottom falls out on them soon for a short period of time.

AROB44
01-21-2024, 07:51 AM
In the hundred dollar hand shake era

I was around in the $20 hand shake era......Bob Tyler era. And $20 meant a lot to me and to the players I shook hands with.

R2Dawg
01-21-2024, 08:27 AM

Yeah that is Bama fans coming off crack cocaine. The withdrawals will be epic, wait and see. That is why the narrative Saban will still be around to make sure he trains new coach so nothing changes. If DeBoer wasn't making so much money, I'd feel sorry for him. When they go 8-4, get the popcorn.

R2Dawg
01-21-2024, 08:32 AM
I guess I kinda blame Saban for setting the precedent that has now evolved into the coaching salaries, buyouts, etc. ... which is what I think the players probably notice the most. I also blame the SEC and NCAA cause they could have self regulated all this IMO. I saw the beginning of the end back when this first started escalating probably around 10 or 12 maybe 15 or so years ago.

Now we're here. And I've been kinda pissed about that too, as everyone is.

"Capitalism" is a broad term. There are different forms of capitalism. What we're practicing now isn't a good one. Not gonna get into that discussion and ain't trying to win any debates either.

I've watched a lot of threads for a long time now about NIL before finally chiming in. IMO it ain't the "greedy" players' fault. They are just following the examples of the "adults" (University Presidents/ADs/Coaches, Boosters, CEOs, etc). And they're going "crazy" with it ... just like the adults have been doing for almost 2 decades or more now.

ETA: Seriously ... how many talking heads (who mostly don't know shit) making well over 6 figures and some making 7 figures are actually needed on ESPN and SEC Network talking about college sports (but specifically football) nonstop. Just an example.

I watch none of them anymore. I only watch games now and very few of those. MSU and key SEC games mostly. Then the CFP if I think it's a good matchup. I watch none of the hype leading up to big games. Same in NFL. I'm very selective in what I actually sit down and watch.

Can't blame Saban because Bama wanted to pay him more every year. Who is to blame? Scared fans/alumni etc who thought he might leave so pay him more. Arrogant Bama fans thinking they are the best and will pay the most to stay the best even if if means selling their mobile home and beef jerky stand at the fairgrounds.

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2024, 08:54 AM

I went to one game this year. Least I have attended since my dad started bringing me in elementary school

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2024, 08:55 AM
I dont see how they do it.

You dont do it. They arent coaching them they are begging them

dawgday166
01-21-2024, 10:11 AM
Can't blame Saban because Bama wanted to pay him more every year. Who is to blame? Scared fans/alumni etc who thought he might leave so pay him more. Arrogant Bama fans thinking they are the best and will pay the most to stay the best even if if means selling their mobile home and beef jerky stand at the fairgrounds.

LOL .. Them Bammers certainly will do anything for a Natty. Can't argue with what you said.

I remember when Saban was toying with Texas a little. I thought at the time that he was just tired of the expectations by Bama fans. They have a meltdown if they lose one game.

SPMT
01-21-2024, 10:23 AM

I don?t believe he was ever dabbling with Texas anymore than Sark was dabbling with Bama this year. Maybe Sexton threw a little out there but Saban was never leaving Bama.

SPMT
01-21-2024, 10:30 AM
His daughter let it slip that he was retiring at the end of the year months ago.

Yeah. He was retiring this year. Many people were talking about it during the season. He never complained about NIL, in fact I think he was pleased with that. He complained about the transfer portal as he should.

dawgday166
01-21-2024, 10:34 AM
Yeah. He was retiring this year. Many people were talking about it during the season. He never complained about NIL, in fact I think he was pleased with that. He complained about the transfer portal as he should.

I thought he got into a little bit of a feud with Jimbo over how much TAM was paying players.

Snowman79
01-21-2024, 11:15 AM
The NFL should take athletes straight from HS. That might be a good start to ending some of this ridiculousness.

phatdog
01-21-2024, 12:09 PM
The NFL should take athletes straight from HS. That might be a good start to ending some of this ridiculousness.

I think that's next. No reason NFL or other pro football can't start signing players out of high shool. Players can get paid and not have to go to class. No limits on the time they can spend developing into NFL players. Once this happens the colleges may go back to some sort of amateurism.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-21-2024, 12:48 PM
At the end the day, all coaches face the same "give me more money or I leave" potential from their whole roster each year. Hard as that must be to manage, at least all coaches have to deal with it. Well, all rosters with players worth a damn anyway (Vandy doesn't have to worry about their player leaving for 700k deals lol).

Because of that, NIL seems to simultaneously strip poor schools of their talent AND strip big schools of their depth as these backups can leave and be starters elsewhere.

Ultimately, I think NIL injects a new aspect to how coaches need to evaluate "talent": How patient is this player, and are they delusional about their own talents? Rara was delusional, and left to ride the pine at UGA. But plenty of players are sane enough to take coaching and a reasonable NIL deal. Just another issue coaches have to work around BUT since all coaches deal with it I guess I can't have too much sympathy about it. Not at the big schools with lots of NIL anyway.

Like for all those 60 Bama players threatening to leave, there's probably 60 good players from UTEP, Washintong, ect entering the portal Bama can replace them with. It's a mess but it's not bad for Bama on the net.

Schultzy
01-21-2024, 01:05 PM
If we had NIL with the old transfer rules it would be much more manageable of course, and none of the current rules are ever getting reversed even for $ sake. Ideology trumps everything.

Has the NCAA or any of the universities made a good decision in the last 50 years?

Coursesuper
01-21-2024, 01:16 PM
It started when the colleges could start making major money. It's taken a couple decades, but the decline started then. Big TV contracts, then salaries, now paying the players... it's over folks. Soon there will be a players union and then we'll have the Auburn/Yella Wood Tigers... and finally The Yella Tigers playing at Auburn, AL.

This is correct, instead of thinking forward the only thought was winning at all costs. Now that the cat is out of the bag there is no putting it back in. If you want to point fingers the Bammers, Mitchigans, Tigas, and golden domer’s are good places to start. But the SEC and the power 5 are at the root of this together. And for those that try to lay the blame with the NCAA, just stop and think who the NCAA really is.

Churchill
01-21-2024, 04:49 PM
Now are the colleges making money or are the athletic programs making the money which is immediately spent by the athletic department......just before they ask the school for more money ?

Coursesuper
01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Now are the colleges making money or are the athletic programs making the money which is immediately spent by the athletic department......just before they ask the school for more money ?

There is a direct correlation between athletics success and enrollment. It may sound strange but it’s true. We were just on a trip where it’s warm and met a couple from Vermont whose kid is looking at attending Bammer or the Confederates due to SEC football. Or first comment was have you been there? And they had been to Tuscaloosa. So it is a good, good situation.

Churchill
01-21-2024, 06:11 PM
Well how many kids do you think we've ever had at State because of athletic success ? I can fathom a few but there can't be very many.

Maroonthirteen
01-21-2024, 06:29 PM
I've mentioned it before but seems appropriate again... a co-worker's son plays P5 football. The dad says NIL and portal is an absolute crap show.

His son has made nothing from NIL. His son is a 2nd stringer DL plays a lot of snaps.
He says there are kids that make nothing, some that make decent money and some that are paid a lot of money. He says skills players do seem to make more but there is no structure or logic to who is paid what. It is about when you came in, if you signed out of HS and stayed or transfer in.
He says transfers tend to be the higher paid it creates resentment.
He said their team brought in a transfer DL last spring, paid him a lot of nil, the current players hated the guy and the guy played fewer snaps than his son.
He says other schools tamper all season long. His son gets random calls from random people at other schools.
He said his son told the coaches he was leaving if he didn't get NIL. They are working on him some NIL now.
He says that's how it is. The coaches ignore you and nil. It's only when you put the pressure on do they go to bat for you for NIL.

Hearing him talk.... it's insane.

Todd4State
01-21-2024, 06:39 PM

The problem there is there is a massive jump between high school football and the NFL. Really hard to see very many if any players that are going to be successful making that jump. Most of the players I can recall that didn't play college football and made it to the NFL were in their early 20's and did like Joe Horn where he played JUCO ball and then caught on in Canada before the Saints took him. I remember the Cardinals took a guy that didn't qualify for college but played Semi-Pro ball. And I've heard of some foreign players that played other pro sports like Rugby or a foreign pro football league drafted.

With a 53+ man roster the NFL isn't going to take a high school kid who is like a 6'5" 260 pound OL prospect and develop them. Even MLB is shifting to college baseball for talent and the high school players they do pick and sign have to play in the minors for about 3-5 years before they're ready to play in MLB.

Todd4State
01-21-2024, 06:41 PM
I've mentioned it before but seems appropriate again... a co-worker's son plays P5 football. The dad says NIL and portal is an absolute crap show.

His son has made nothing from NIL. His son is a 2nd stringer DL plays a lot of snaps.
He says there are kids that make nothing, some that make decent money and some that are paid a lot of money. He says skills players do seem to make more but there is no structure or logic to who is paid what. It is about when you came in, if you signed out of HS and stayed or transfer in.
He says transfers tend to be the higher paid it creates resentment.
He said their team brought in a transfer DL last spring, paid him a lot of nil, the current players hated the guy and the guy played fewer snaps than his son.
He says other schools tamper all season long. His son gets random calls from random people at other schools.
He said his son told the coaches he was leaving if he didn't get NIL. They are working on him some NIL now.
He says that's how it is. The coaches ignore you and nil. It's only when you put the pressure on do they go to bat for you for NIL.

Hearing him talk.... it's insane.

Great perspective. Thank you for sharing.

It's obvious that they're going to have to come up with some kind of pay structure and some structured transfer rules.

dawgday166
01-21-2024, 06:48 PM
Great perspective. Thank you for sharing.

It's obvious that they're going to have to come up with some kind of pay structure and some structured transfer rules.

Obvious?
I see a lot of bitching and moaning about it but not a lot of action. But then I ain't following it real close either.

Maroonthirteen
01-21-2024, 07:41 PM
Obvious?
I see a lot of bitching and moaning about it but not a lot of action. But then I ain't following it real close either.

There is action But it is making matters worse. The US District court slapped a restraining order on the ncaa in December. Which doesn't allow the ncaa to enforce transfer rules. I don't believe there has been another hearing. Therefore the restraining order continues. Free transfers any time you want and as much as you want.

Which I find it ironic people blame the ncaa for this mess. The NCAA rules said you could not pay players NIL. Because they knew people would find loop holes and what it could become. Then you have a court rule against the ncaa and here we are. The courts rule against the ncaa and make transfer rules non existent. It's the courts not the ncaa. They created this mess.

dawgday166
01-21-2024, 07:45 PM
There is action But it is making matters worse. The US District court slapped a restraining order on the ncaa in December. Which doesn't allow the ncaa to enforce transfer rules. I don't believe there has been another hearing. Therefore the restraining order continues. Free transfers any time you want and as much as you want.

Which I find it ironic people blame the ncaa for this mess. The NCAA rules said you could not pay players NIL. Because they knew people would find loop holes and what it could become. Then you have a court rule against the ncaa and here we are. The courts rule against the ncaa and make transfer rules non existent. It's the courts not the ncaa. They created this mess.

Ok ... I take back what I said then. As I said, I haven't followed it that closely.

Bothrops
01-21-2024, 07:54 PM
This all started after George Floyd's death and the pandemic. Entitlement culture was one of several stoked fires from the fallout of it.

Coursesuper
01-21-2024, 07:56 PM
This all started after George Floyd's death and the pandemic. Entitlement culture was one of several stoked fires from the fallout of it.

This started well before that.

RocketDawg
01-21-2024, 08:10 PM
There is a direct correlation between athletics success and enrollment. It may sound strange but it’s true. We were just on a trip where it’s warm and met a couple from Vermont whose kid is looking at attending Bammer or the Confederates due to SEC football. Or first comment was have you been there? And they had been to Tuscaloosa. So it is a good, good situation.

Alabama's enrollment doubled during Saban's tenure, and over 60% of the students are out of state.

I don't know why someone would go to a different state university, unless they were getting a really good scholarship, and pay double to triple what their instate school costs. Or it's one of the elite public schools like Virginia or Michigan.

Extendedcab
01-21-2024, 08:27 PM
Alabama's enrollment doubled during Saban's tenure, and over 60% of the students are out of state.

I don't know why someone would go to a different state university, unless they were getting a really good scholarship, and pay double to triple what their instate school costs. Or it's one of the elite public schools like Virginia or Michigan.

It is not an elite public school! My cousin?s son went there with a major same as mine. Let?s just say his knowledge level was not what it should be. That was scary if that is the education level to be expected from recent graduates.

RezDog7
01-21-2024, 08:57 PM
Then stop the charade and give the “poor kids” a piece of the pie and stop with the bullshit of telling Average Joe Fan “for a measly 20 bucks a month you can help the collective buy players”

This times a million. Most people don't care that players are getting paid. But stop asking me to pay them. That has completely turned me off of college sports. I'll just watch pro sports.

Lord McBuckethead
01-21-2024, 08:57 PM
Didn?t Bellichek make 28 million last year?

BrunswickDawg
01-21-2024, 09:19 PM

You are absolutely wrong. Ed O'Bannon filed his lawsuit in 2009. The craziest part is that he was a player in the mid-90s and he was suing for NIL infringement because they used the '95 UCLA team in a 2009 video game. The suit wasn't finally ruled on until 2015 - and the NCAA had 8 f'n years to decide how to handle NIL AND THEY FAILED TO ACT. That's when the states got involved and started approving NIL legislation.

Make no mistake about it - the NCAA had every opportunity after 2009 to solve NIL and they did nothing.

Jarius
01-21-2024, 09:39 PM
Middle aged middle class men aren’t going to continue to finance this operation when the players that the school is making millions on and don’t have to pay for continue to spit in their faces and transfer out right after you pay them. The total lack of respect for the people that love their universities by the players and the schools and the coaches is going to cause this collapse.

Maroonthirteen
01-21-2024, 09:52 PM
The ncaa didn't act because their position was correct from the beginning. Ir sucks for Obannon and others that EA didn't pay them after their college years.

But the courts decided. The ncaa now allows players to earn nil within certain boundaries. However everyone is ignoring the current ncaa rules. So how is that the ncaas fault?

If the ncaa allowed nil in 2009 that just mean todays college game would have happened in 2010 and LSU buys Dak in 2013.

LC Dawg
01-21-2024, 09:53 PM
You are absolutely wrong. Ed O'Bannon filed his lawsuit in 2009. The craziest part is that he was a player in the mid-90s and he was suing for NIL infringement because they used the '95 UCLA team in a 2009 video game. The suit wasn't finally ruled on until 2015 - and the NCAA had 8 f'n years to decide how to handle NIL AND THEY FAILED TO ACT. That's when the states got involved and started approving NIL legislation.

Make no mistake about it - the NCAA had every opportunity after 2009 to solve NIL and they did nothing.

Yep, and the member schools could have pushed the NCAA to do something and they did nothing. There's a lot of blame to go around.

SPMT
01-21-2024, 10:17 PM
The ncaa didn't act because their position was correct from the beginning. Ir sucks for Obannon and others that EA didn't pay them after their college years.

But the courts decided. The ncaa now allows players to earn nil within certain boundaries. However everyone is ignoring the current ncaa rules. So how is that the ncaas fault?

If the ncaa allowed nil in 2009 that just mean todays college game would have happened in 2010 and LSU buys Dak in 2013.

What are the boundaries?

There appear to be none.

RezDog7
01-21-2024, 10:26 PM
Middle aged middle class men aren’t going to continue to finance this operation when the players that the school is making millions on and don’t have to pay for continue to spit in their faces and transfer out right after you pay them. The total lack of respect for the people that love their universities by the players and the schools and the coaches is going to cause this collapse.

Yep, I'm just gonna play golf and hunt. I don't care if they ever play again tbh.

BrunswickDawg
01-21-2024, 10:27 PM

The NCAA position was untenable as soon as they started making millions off of licensing video games whose goal was to accurately portray the teams and players. What the NCAA should have done is used it as a positive tool to benefit the players. MLB had an available model for image licensing where the players get a royalty for things like baseball cards and video games. It amounts to very little money individually per year. But no, the NCAA and their pretend idea of amateurism and greed of wanting to keep those millions made them dig in their heels. This shouldn't have been hard to do. Building a manageable structure would not have been hard.

Percho
01-22-2024, 01:58 AM

It has got to change.

When does one quit being a learner and become a professional. How much money have daddies paid to a, "nobody," to teach their kid how to pitch or hit. Has anyone ever paid a, "nobody," to teach their kid how to field a ground ball or a fly ball. Maybe we should start paying them to learn at six years of age.

Maybe Saban believes he is still teaching, how to become a professional.

sleepy dawg
01-22-2024, 08:55 AM
This is a made up story.

BuckyIsAB****
01-22-2024, 06:49 PM
Ok haha

Bothrops
01-23-2024, 02:32 AM

Perhaps, but I see a bigger picture.