PDA

View Full Version : I miss Tanner Allen

Cowbell
01-20-2024, 12:11 PM
I realize this is random. The greatness of Tanner Allen seems to grow with me as time passes. I realize how fortunate we were to have his leadership on that team. We don't do anything that year without him, in my opinion. As a matter of fact, without him, I believe Lemonis would have already been fired.

I just want to see another player in any of the big three sports take over and lead a team like he did - dirtbag style. We are missing those kind of individuals in my opinion. We have plenty of guys that want to be that guy, but just aren't.

Pancho
01-20-2024, 12:38 PM
Cannizaro talked him out of going to LSU

parabrave
01-20-2024, 01:14 PM
Hell I miss Lorin Forrister. The hottest of all hot cheerleaders

dawgoneyall
01-20-2024, 02:52 PM
Tanner and Rowdy were/are in the top ten all time players ever at state...regardless of position. They were just good.

Tanner was in the top three clutch players at state.

Saltydog
01-20-2024, 02:54 PM
Tanner and Rowdy were/are in the top ten all time players ever at state...regardless of position. They were just good.

Tanner was in the top three clutch players at state.

You got one out of two correct.....Love Rowdy but he's not one of the 10 greatest, he's just not........You're letting the recency effect cloud your judgement......

parabrave
01-20-2024, 03:03 PM
Well TA will be with the Wahoos at the start of the season hope to see him in Biloxi. Now who would you rather have up to bat, Adam Frazier or Rowdy, tied BTM of the 9th with a man on 2nd?

R2Dawg
01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
I realize this is random. The greatness of Tanner Allen seems to grow with me as time passes. I realize how fortunate we were to have his leadership on that team. We don't do anything that year without him, in my opinion. As a matter of fact, without him, I believe Lemonis would have already been fired.

I just want to see another player in any of the big three sports take over and lead a team like he did - dirtbag style. We are missing those kind of individuals in my opinion. We have plenty of guys that want to be that guy, but just aren't.

Yeah he was a special player for sure.

But I'll tell you what you and every MSU fan is missing..............................being good at something. We are not dominant in anything right now.

Hopeful basketball can return to NCAAT and baseball can return to regional as well.

smootness
01-20-2024, 05:12 PM
You got one out of two correct.....Love Rowdy but he's not one of the 10 greatest, he's just not........You're letting the recency effect cloud your judgement......

Winning the natty changes things. No, not one of the true ten best. But ten best careers here with accomplishments and all? Maybe

Saltydog
01-20-2024, 07:23 PM
Winning the natty changes things. No, not one of the true ten best. But ten best careers here with accomplishments and all? Maybe

To me it's kinda like saying Eli Manning is better than Peyton Manning because he won one more Super Bowl. Now, in individual sports (Golf, Boxing, Tennis, etc.) I would agree about the championships but in team sports there's just too many other factors (supporting cast, etc.), at least IMO.

smootness
01-20-2024, 07:41 PM
To me it's kinda like saying Eli Manning is better than Peyton Manning because he won one more Super Bowl. Now, in individual sports (Golf, Boxing, Tennis, etc.) I would agree about the championships but in team sports there's just too many other factors (supporting cast, etc.), at least IMO.

If Eli had slightly better numbers than he does, they both played for the same organization, and Eli won their only SB, Peyton would still be the better QB but I could see people saying Eli was the GOAT Giant, or whatever franchise. Championships matter, especially at a place with few.

redstickdawg
01-20-2024, 09:09 PM

what? each of them won the SB twice. Peyton was better as Eli was totally carried both times by the defense.

Saltydog
01-20-2024, 09:33 PM
what? each of them won the SB twice. Peyton was better as Eli was totally carried both times by the defense.

My bad, I forgot about the SB Peyton won in Denver. With that said, the defense carried that team big time, not Peyton. He was a shell of his former self by that time.

Coach34
01-20-2024, 09:37 PM

Eli was 2-3 in the playoffs when the opponent scored 20 or more

Tanner Allen is elevated because we won a title....I'll agree. But holy shit we have had some monsters play at State. He is not in the Top 10 as far as players.

And to really piss some off- Will Bednar was way more the guy in Omaha and won us a title than Allen.

Cowbell
01-20-2024, 11:24 PM
Eli was 2-3 in the playoffs when the opponent scored 20 or more

Tanner Allen is elevated because we won a title....I'll agree. But holy shit we have had some monsters play at State. He is not in the Top 10 as far as players.

And to really piss some off- Will Bednar was way more the guy in Omaha and won us a title than Allen.

Bednar closed it (not literally) but we don't sniff Omaha with out TA. Heck he's the one that changed the Virginia game

Todd4State
01-21-2024, 02:06 AM
For college baseball to win a NC you need to:

1. Be the hottest team in Omaha.

2. Have an elite ace and an elite closer. We had that with Bednar and Sims. We have had many other aces that had that kind of potential too through the years. Small, Hudson, Stratton, DuBose, Maholm, BJ Wallace, Brantley, etc. And we've had some good closers too. Holder, Thigpen, etc. If you have two front line aces like Vandy had with Rocker and Leiter- you have a really good shot at winning it all. Especially if you have an elite closer backing them.

3. Special players- Tanner Allen, Rowdey, Mangum, Rooker, Clark, Palmeiro, Frazier, Renfroe, etc. LSU always seems to have some Tanner Allen type on the team. It's about identifying personality traits as well as baseball skill set. Really hard to acquire. Tanner had the biggest home run in MSU history against Virginia IMO. He has also had some other really memorable clutch hits- Ole Miss bases loaded triple in 2021 for example.

I'll say this and it's unusual to say but I will explain- I think we underachieved somewhat in 2021 in that we could have been more dominant with a better pitching coach. Obviously it didn't matter because we won the NC. But we may have also won the SEC and SEC Tournament as well with a better pitching coach. We were literally down to four guys at the end - Bednar, Sims, Harding, and Preston Johnson. Two first round picks who were elite and two solid older former JUCO guys. If Foxhall had been able to develop Cerentola and had MacLeoud not gotten injured at a minimum what does that 2021 team accomplish? And remember we would only use Sims once most weekends? Probably cost us the Vandy series that year and maybe some other games as well. And Fristoe gradually declined from throwing a no-hitter to barely seeing any action in the postseason. And does a better pitching coach get more out of Spencer Price who was a quality SEC closer for awhile, Carlisle Koestler, Chase Patrick, and Stone Simmons? Maybe even Parker Stinnett becomes a quality relief guy for us instead of the guy that Landon Sims had to bail out repeatedly.

Even that year pitching was our Achilles Heel and we were simply too good to fail.

shoeless joe
01-21-2024, 04:47 PM
TA was an alpha that put in the work and demanded the same from others. Right now in all sports we got some wanna be alphas but they don’t do what necessary to win at a high level. And in some sports we just don’t have the horses. Is what it is. But TA was a special kid while here.

Bdawg
01-21-2024, 05:27 PM
Bednar closed it (not literally) but we don't sniff Omaha with out TA. Heck he's the one that changed the Virginia game

I thought that was K Clark who broke up that Virginia pitcher. Then TA.

Todd4State
01-21-2024, 06:43 PM
I thought that was K Clark who broke up that Virginia pitcher. Then TA.

Clark got us going. TA gave us the lead off of Stephen Schloch.

Lord McBuckethead
01-21-2024, 09:14 PM
Dan Marino was better than both of them.

Coach34
01-21-2024, 09:43 PM

Wtf??? Both won 2 SB's

parabrave
01-22-2024, 12:48 AM
Wtf??? Both won 2 SB's

Everyone forgets that Peyton won one with Denver

Randolph Dupree
01-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Wtf??? Both won 2 SB's

To me, Peyton's edge was illustrated when he left the Colts. The prior year under Jim Caldwell they'd had a decent year and once he left the went winless. Was that all because he left? No. But he was covering up some significant coaching deficiencies. Peyton is the better QB.

Coach34
01-22-2024, 10:17 AM
To me, Peyton's edge was illustrated when he left the Colts. The prior year under Jim Caldwell they'd had a decent year and once he left the went winless. Was that all because he left? No. But he was covering up some significant coaching deficiencies. Peyton is the better QB.

I agree and its not even close. Eli got bailed out by 2 of the best catches in SB history and only made the playoffs 6 times in 16 seasons.