PDA

View Full Version : OT I have to spend 4 days at the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville Where are some good

99jc
01-20-2024, 08:36 AM
places to eat Steak and Seafood especially in Huntsville/Madison. or any other great restaurants? thanks in advance.

Extendedcab
01-20-2024, 09:36 AM
Try Tim’s Cajun kitchen for some great but hot gumbo. There is a barbecue place (I forget the name) off of I565 west of the airport that is pretty good.

Leroy Jenkins
01-20-2024, 09:40 AM
https://youtu.be/r8kQgmmnjtk?si=BugB0DE4Ne3IXViS

notthisshitagain
01-20-2024, 09:48 AM
You?re gonna be disappointed in the food in Huntsville compared to Mississippi (especially with seafood).

Right now I think the best restaurant for the price point is Domaine South in downtown Huntsville (they also have a wine shoppe with tapas, but the main restaurant is what you?re looking for).

Chuck Wagon BBQ in Madison has some fantastic brisket, sausage, & burnt ends.

Connors in Bridge Street has decent steaks & seafood, but they are a chain.

Commerce Kitchen in downtown Huntsville used to be great, but they?ve lost a step.

Cotton Row is great but $$$$$

Hit up either Hildegard?s or Ol Heidelberg for some solid German food.

I avoid Tim?s Cajun Kitchen - they put the seasoning on the outside of bland crawfish.

Martianlander
01-20-2024, 10:00 AM
Believe you are talking about Boarhogs. It is pretty good. My kids and grandkids like Baumhowers but I?m not as sold on that as they are.

Walkerhill
01-20-2024, 11:34 AM
places to eat Steak and Seafood especially in Huntsville/Madison. or any other great restaurants? thanks in advance.

Char in south Huntsville and Connor?s at Bridge Street are popular steakhouse type restaurants.

Commerce Kitchen downtown has a good coffee-rubbed steak.

Dropping to low-brow beef, I recommend Peppered Pig In Jones Valley for a good local burger.

Seafood ? in my opinion we don?t have a good one.

There is a traditional Japanese place on Airport Rd. Named Dashu that has good sushi and Bento boxes.

Bgame
01-20-2024, 02:19 PM
Connor?s is popular for steaks and Bonefish for seafood. I would recommend the pork chop (?PIG BONE-IN COWBOY STEAK?) at Poppy & Parliament on the square, and the brisket at PBR Lockhart Cowboy Bar on bridge street.

RocketDawg
01-20-2024, 02:23 PM
Conner's in Bridge Street is a good upper class place.

PF Chang's and Cheesecake Factory in Bridge Street are also decent. There's an Outback in Town Madison that's OK, plus any number of fast food (but I doubt that's what you're looking for).

Prohibition in Town Madison seems to be a really popular bar if you're into that sort of thing.

RocketDawg
01-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Believe you are talking about Boarhogs. It is pretty good. My kids and grandkids like Baumhowers but I?m not as sold on that as they are.

565 west of the airport is Greenbrier Barbecue, off the freeway about a mile to the north off Greenbrier Rd across from the Mazda/Toyota plant. It's a dump, but pretty good.

RocketDawg
01-20-2024, 05:49 PM
Where are you staying? There's some form of Marriott that just opened in Redstone Gateway, just outside Gate 9. Looks really nice. There's another hotel in Gateway but I can't remember the brand. There are also 4 new ones on the west side of Town Madison (one is Hilton Gardens) that are near the airport.

grinnindawg
01-20-2024, 06:00 PM
Connor's steak and seafood is excellent at both.
Chuck Wagon BBQ in Madison on 72 has very good brisket.
Old Black Bear in Madison has good burgers. Never had anything bad there.
Main Street Cafe in downtown Madison is owned by State folks. Solid but not great unless you are in to quiche.
Ol Heidelberg is very good assuming you like German food.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-20-2024, 06:07 PM
Breweries and J Alexander had decent options.

maroonmania
01-20-2024, 06:27 PM

Yes, J Alexander out by Toyota Field has some really nice steak options. Seafood is also on their menu.

dparker
01-22-2024, 09:44 AM
In addition to what everyone is saying (Connor's and Char) I'll add in:

Purveyor and The Bottle for higher end dining.
Tom Brown's is pretty good upscale dining too
Catch 25 has good seafood
Jack Brown's has great burgers

dawgday166
01-22-2024, 10:33 AM

Only been once but was very underwhelmed with J. Alexander. Ok food, small portions, and very pricey too.

IMO everything in Bridge Street (and also Town Madison now) you pay for location ... Bridge Street and Town Madison. Only been to a few places in either place but they very proud of their food and service.

If you like Mexican, Tulum is the best I've eaten at in town. It's on Martin Rd on West side of Arsenal by Subway. Outstanding frozen Margaritas.

ETA: If you like BBQ ... BBQ Heaven on James Madison, just off Wall Triana (South of Madison Blvd). Really good BBQ. Best side is their homemade Mac&Cheese.

Both Tulum and BBQ Heaven are hole in the Wall places. I prefer hole in the wall. Food, service, and price is usually much better.

Turfdawg67
01-22-2024, 09:03 PM
You didn't ask about Mexican food, but I used to stay close to a Rosie's Cantina and always enjoyed it. There are a couple locations but I've only been to the one off Memorial.

It_Could_Happen
01-22-2024, 10:33 PM
You didn't ask about Mexican food, but I used to stay close to a Rosie's Cantina and always enjoyed it. There are a couple locations but I've only been to the one off Memorial.

I?ve eaten at that one as well when I was out there for work 4 or 5 years ago. Remember it being pretty good.

dawgday166
01-22-2024, 11:31 PM
nm

dawgday166
01-22-2024, 11:43 PM

Yea .. I realized he asked specifically about steaks and seafood.
Rosie's is good too but Tulum is about as good as I've eaten outside of Houston Tx. Locally owned.

Steaks ... I think anything in Bridge St and Town Madison is real expensive and no better than Longhorn. Connor's was good but about one and a half times more expensive. Longhorn is much better than J. Alexander's IMO. Can't remember the names but seems like I read on FB there are one or two locally owned steak places out toward maybe Hazel Green and/or Gurley that have sprung up not too long ago and are supposed to be really good. Hadn't been to them tho. I like my own steaks. I cook them about as well as anyone's and I eat steak a good bit. So I ain't usually looking for steaks when I go out.
Seafood ... I ain't found great seafood in Huntsville. There might be someplace I just don't know where it would be.

Walkerhill
01-23-2024, 12:56 AM
Yea .. I realized he asked specifically about steaks and seafood.
Rosie's is good too but Tulum is about as good as I've eaten outside of Houston Tx. Locally owned.

Steaks ... I think anything in Bridge St and Town Madison is real expensive and no better than Longhorn. Connor's was good but about one and a half times more expensive. Longhorn is much better than J. Alexander's IMO. Can't remember the names but seems like I read on FB there are one or two locally owned steak places out toward maybe Hazel Green and/or Gurley that have sprung up not too long ago and are supposed to be really good. Hadn't been to them tho. I like my own steaks. I cook them about as well as anyone's and I eat steak a good bit. So I ain't usually looking for steaks when I go out.
Seafood ... I ain't found great seafood in Huntsville. There might be someplace I just don't know where it would be.

On the south side of town there is a nice, locally owned place called Nic?s Ristorante that has pretty good steaks. Depends on where you are staying, That is a longish drive from Research Park/Madison side.

dawgday166
01-23-2024, 01:02 AM
On the south side of town there is a nice, locally owned place called Nic?s Ristorante that has pretty good steaks. Depends on where you are staying, That is a longish drive from Research Park/Madison side.

Yea ... I was thinking I might've heard about one down there somewhere. Only time I go down there these days is when I shoot pool at Chips & Salsa.

The Madison side is one reason I mentioned the places I did. Convenient and really good food IMO.

ETA: West End Grill is a really good place to eat too. Never ate their steaks tho. It right there on Old Madison Pike across the bridge from Bridge Street going towards Huntsville.

As a side note. Back in '88 or so, I was at a cookout and played volleyball with a church group at the farm (good sized farm) that was where Bridge Street is today. The ran a good many head of cattle out there. Personally, I wish the farm was still there myself.

WCUdawg88
01-23-2024, 12:51 PM
How has Noone from Huntsville mentioned the PoBoy Factory Cajun restaurant off of Andrew Jackson Dr. We lived up there for 5 years and ate there often. To me it's by far the best Cajun restaurant in huntsville.

dawgday166
01-23-2024, 03:35 PM
How has Noone from Huntsville mentioned the PoBoy Factory Cajun restaurant off of Andrew Jackson Dr. We lived up there for 5 years and ate there often. To me it's by far the best Cajun restaurant in huntsville.

I ate there many years ago but don't make it up there much now. I dunno if I remember it being better than Tim's tho. Tim's is pretty darn good.

RocketDawg
01-23-2024, 07:17 PM

I believe PoBoys is permanently closed.

RocketDawg
01-23-2024, 07:28 PM
Yea ... I was thinking I might've heard about one down there somewhere. Only time I go down there these days is when I shoot pool at Chips & Salsa.

The Madison side is one reason I mentioned the places I did. Convenient and really good food IMO.

ETA: West End Grill is a really good place to eat too. Never ate their steaks tho. It right there on Old Madison Pike across the bridge from Bridge Street going towards Huntsville.

As a side note. Back in '88 or so, I was at a cookout and played volleyball with a church group at the farm (good sized farm) that was where Bridge Street is today. The ran a good many head of cattle out there. Personally, I wish the farm was still there myself.

West End Grill is really good for lunch. I've never been there for dinner. It's in the NE quadrant of Research Park Blvd (Rideout Rd)/565 in a small strip center. The pizza place next door is good too (Venice Pizza). I like Rosie's on University Drive for TexMex. And in MidCity there are several places - Wahlberger's, Dave & Busters. Rhythm downtown next door to the Mars Music Hall in the VBC is supposed to be pretty good but I've never been there. In Providence, there's Mellow Mushroom (not great) and a Vietnamese place called Phuket that was really good last time I was there.

99jc
01-23-2024, 07:35 PM
all these great suggestions and my wife wanted Papa Johns....go figure....sushi tomorrow though. thanks to all!

WCUdawg88
01-23-2024, 08:14 PM
I believe PoBoys is permanently closed.
Oh man did not know that. We moved back to ms in 2020. That is sad.

dparker
01-24-2024, 12:55 PM
all these great suggestions and my wife wanted Papa Johns....go figure....sushi tomorrow though. thanks to all!

If you're not opposed to the drive, Yoshi Sushi Fusion in Owens Crossroads is excellent. The new place on Airport Rd is pretty good too.