PDA

View Full Version : Men?s and womens bb

preachermatt83
01-18-2024, 06:46 PM
Is anyone concerned that it seems like both teams have regressed from last year a little?

RockyDog
01-18-2024, 07:14 PM
A lot of regression. Stubborn coaches and at least on Jan’s part is lack of crootin. If Hubbard hadn’t swung our way we would be horrendous.

preachermatt83
01-18-2024, 07:15 PM
A lot of regression. Stubborn coaches and at least on Jan’s part is lack of crootin. If Hubbard hadn’t swung our way we would be horrendous.

That’s concerning

confucius say
01-18-2024, 07:34 PM
The guys have played the toughest schedule in the conference in league play, so we will see. I still expect 10-8, which is what I predicted.

The girls are coached poorly imo. Sam should always recruit fairly well, so that should help overcome a lot of deficiencies and at least be a tournament team.

preachermatt83
01-18-2024, 07:47 PM
The guys have played the toughest schedule in the conference in league play, so we will see. I still expect 10-8, which is what I predicted.

The girls are coached poorly imo. Sam should always recruit fairly well, so that should help overcome a lot of deficiencies and at least be a tournament team.

He seems to be a players coach. Almost to a fault.

R2Dawg
01-18-2024, 07:58 PM
A lot of regression. Stubborn coaches and at least on Jan?s part is lack of crootin. If Hubbard hadn?t swung our way we would be horrendous.

Hubbard is a great addition but he didn't make our team good by himself. We have talent. Hubbard went 1-11 at UK. Shot to win if he shoots it better. Tolu still can't finish at the rim in SEC.

basedog
01-18-2024, 08:13 PM
He seems to be a players coach. Almost to a fault.

He needs a strong assistant bench Coach. His game adjustments are nonexistent. He is young and hopefully will get some help.

parabrave
01-18-2024, 10:29 PM
Hubbard is a great addition but he didn't make our team good by himself. We have talent. Hubbard went 1-11 at UK. Shot to win if he shoots it better. Tolu still can't finish at the rim in SEC.

Yep Hubbard needs to learn he is part of a College team and he isn't in HS anymore. And 2 things has anyone noticed that since TS got back it's been a 2 man show TL and JH. Also is not having KM and AT is hurting DJ and Cam. It seems they are getting tired in the 2nd half and even Hadad said this the other day/ Can we get JB to spell them also/

PGHBulldogBG
01-18-2024, 10:34 PM
I don’t follow the women closely enough to know if they have regressed or not, but I think the men are on par or slightly better than last year. I think the issue with our men’s team is that while they are tenured, their talent level overall is not there compared to the majority of the SEC and we do not have good shooters. I think Jans has maximized the talent the best he can and that’s why there isn’t much improvement over last year. Taylor not working out really hurt as well. Jans has the coaching ability to put a run together though if we can get to the tournament. I still trust Jans over any coach we have had since Williams to be able to do that. At the same time though he is going to at least need to recruit some better shooters.

Pancho
01-19-2024, 08:28 AM
free throw shooters too

99jc
01-19-2024, 08:43 AM
I hate to say apathy has set in for me for both teams. At this stage in my life there are so many more important things to me that I can't get fully invested emotionally anymore!

basedog
01-19-2024, 09:14 AM
I hate to say apathy has set in for me for both teams. At this stage in my life there are so many more important things to me that I can't get fully invested emotionally anymore!

And like the commercial says "Wait there is more"!

You pretty much sum it up for me, I don't get all wrapped up in the outcome of our games like I use to. Losing isn't fun but enjoying life is way more fun.

Pancho
01-19-2024, 11:06 AM
I wish I had cash to equal what is spent on those 4" fake lashes the women wear on the court.

KentuckyDawg13
01-19-2024, 11:26 AM
After trekking to Lexington with 3 other maroon clad roadies and watching that beat down, I am now in a 'wait and see' mode.

This MSU team was our best chance to be competitive in Rupp for the next 4 yrs unless Jans learns to recruit. Missed opportunity with the possibly oldest MSU men's team we have had ever.

It's almost like we have bipolar players, especially DJ. He is either sh!t or awesome.

Captain Falcon
01-19-2024, 12:12 PM
The men are better this year. Not drastically, but they are. We were absolute steaming garbage offensively a year ago. Not great this year but better. Also didn?t we lose like 8 of 9 or something like that at this point a year ago?

Don?t underestimate who we have played so far. Tennessee, Kentucky, and Bama are all legit Top 15 teams that will be favored to make the Sweet 16 or better. Handle Vandy tomorrow and then we have four tough but winnable games where cannot walk away empty handed in that stretch.

The women are never going to be what they were with Vic and it just is what it is. I will not pretend to follow the team super closely but Purcell just seems like an OK coach. Not bad, not great, just OK.

PGHBulldogBG
01-19-2024, 12:26 PM
The men are better this year. Not drastically, but they are. We were absolute steaming garbage offensively a year ago. Not great this year but better. Also didn?t we lose like 8 of 9 or something like that at this point a year ago?

Don?t underestimate who we have played so far. Tennessee, Kentucky, and Bama are all legit Top 15 teams that will be favored to make the Sweet 16 or better. Handle Vandy tomorrow and then we have four tough but winnable games where cannot walk away empty handed in that stretch.

The women are never going to be what they were with Vic and it just is what it is. I will not pretend to follow the team super closely but Purcell just seems like an OK coach. Not bad, not great, just OK.

All of this is spot on. We got to beat Vandy and win at least 1 of the @UF, Auburn, @Ole Miss and @ Bama. Then we got to win 4 of the next 5. Do that and we are probably in decent shape for the tournament. I agree about Purcell that he is a good recruiter and average coach. Reminds me of Stansbury in many ways.

Offshore Dawg
01-19-2024, 12:35 PM

It's gotten to this point with me also.

NCMSTFAN
01-19-2024, 12:55 PM

I agree with most of this but I will say, Purcell is still young but he has charisma plus can recruit very well. He just isn't the coach Vic was and that comes with time and experience, remember he is a first time head coach. I'm willing to stick it out with him for a while because we aren't getting a Vic Schaeffer walking through that door anytime soon.

HoopsDawg
01-19-2024, 01:15 PM
I don't follow women's hoops. My main concern with Jans is recruiting. Not sure elite talent wants to play in his scheme.

msstate7
01-19-2024, 01:18 PM
I don't follow women's hoops. My main concern with Jans is recruiting. Not sure elite talent wants to play in his scheme.

This year will tell more imo. We returned everyone, so hard to pull guys in portal like that. This year there will openings, and I expect the haul be to much better

Offshore Dawg
01-19-2024, 01:53 PM

He coaches defense, they don't play that in the NBA. All slam dunk and show boating.