PDA

View Full Version : is this what college football coming to?

preachermatt83
12-07-2013, 07:39 PM
if so I don't know how well I will like it. The hard-nosed smash mouth days of the sec are becoming a thing of the past and were are having o/u 100 point SECCG?!?!?!

Coach34
12-07-2013, 07:42 PM
smashmouth days are gone- it's spread the field and create space nowadays.

Defensive players will be judged on tackling in space- not so much physicality.

FlabLoser
12-07-2013, 07:42 PM
A lot of this is Missouri seeing Auburn's offense for the first time ever.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I think it's a pendulum. Someone will come up with an answer to this stuff, and it will swing back the other way.

The key, is to either have better talent than everyone else, or be on the cutting edge and willing to adapt.

People will now copy Malzahn's offense, and thus will get better at stopping it. Therefore, the key for Malzahn will be to continue to adapt and adjust.

I think it's all cyclical.

preachermatt83
12-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I think it's a pendulum. Someone will come up with an answer to this stuff, and it will swing back the other way.

The key, is to either have better talent than everyone else, or be on the cutting edge and willing to adapt.

People will now copy Malzahn's offense, and thus will get better at stopping it. Therefore, the key for Malzahn will be to continue to adapt and adjust.

I think it's all cyclical.

man shotgun, you are a smart dude. I am impressed.

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2013, 07:55 PM
if so I don't know how well I will like it. The hard-nosed smash mouth days of the sec are becoming a thing of the past and were are having o/u 100 point SECCG?!?!?!

Have you even watched the game? Sure, a lot of points are being scored. But Auburn is running it down Mizzou's throat. Mason has nearly 300 rushing yards, a new SECCG record. They may be in the Pistol, but this IS smashmouth football. And as I type, Mason just ripped off another rush TD.

preachermatt83
12-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Have you even watched the game? Sure, a lot of points are being scored. But Auburn is running it down Mizzou's throat. Mason has nearly 300 rushing yards, a new SECCG record. They may be in the Pistol, but this IS smashmouth football. And as I type, Mason just ripped off another rush TD.

how do you manage walking around without someone helping you? Just running the stupid football doesn't make it smash mouth. Spreading the field to expose matchups doesn't lend itself to smash mouth football it is all about mismatches.

messageboardsuperhero
12-07-2013, 08:32 PM
What are y'all talking about? Auburn was playing physical, smashmouth football all game. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I'm not crazy about all the hurry-up stuff, but just because a team lines up in the shotgun, doesn't mean they can't be physical too.

Will James
12-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Baseball will always be baseball

messageboardsuperhero
12-07-2013, 08:44 PM
how do you manage walking around without someone helping you? Just running the stupid football doesn't make it smash mouth. Spreading the field to expose matchups doesn't lend itself to smash mouth football it is all about mismatches.

And by the way, Auburn doesn't really spread the field all that much (at least no more than we do)- they run a ton of two/three back sets with a fullback and tightend.

Again, just because it doesn't look "smashmouth" doesn't mean AU doesn't use the same principles of those offenses. What I saw in the SEC Championship was very similar to the old "Wing T."

Coach34
12-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Auburn and State are much more Spread "smashmouth" from the gun. Both teams are physical and run downhill at you.

Baylor, Ole Miss, Missouri, Oregon, etc are Spread the field teams that run you sideline to sideline to wear you down and create gaps for running lanes. You have to tackle in space vs these types of teams.

Westdawg
12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
And by the way, Auburn doesn't really spread the field all that much (at least no more than we do)- they run a ton of two/three back sets with a fullback and tightend.

Again, just because it doesn't look "smashmouth" doesn't mean AU doesn't use the same principles of those offenses. What I saw in the SEC Championship was very similar to the old "Wing T."

Very true about the wing t. I am glad to see it still being used in a modern form, although I wish it was not someone from SECW

Coach34
12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Very true about the wing t. I am glad to see it still being used in a modern form, although I wish it was not someone from SECW

today's offense is the bastard child of the wing-T and the old Notre Dame Box

Bubb Rubb
12-07-2013, 10:02 PM

Huh? Auburn is an extremely physical football team. Just because you give the ball to someone coming in motion instead of someone out of the eye formation doesn't mean it isn't smashmouth. Auburn rushed for 550 damn yards today....right down Mizzou's throat. That is the very definition of smashmouth.

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Geebus, you're a dumbass. Why you weren't perma-banned is beyond comprehension. Auburn is a helluva physical, smashmouth offense. They run the ball right at people and virtually always have a TE AND a FB on the field. They rushed for 550 ****ing yards tonight. But just because it isn't the I-form or the QB isn't under center, a whole lot of dumbasses like you don't consider it smashmouth. Shows you're ignorance. I'm guessing you're next door to Dawggeezer in the home.

And btw, might be time to change your ridiculous profile pic. Mullen is our coach and will be for several more years, if he wants to be.

Dawgowar
12-07-2013, 10:29 PM
smashmouth days are gone- it's spread the field and create space nowadays.

Defensive players will be judged on tackling in space- not so much physicality.

Accept the defensive players are having their target reduced to a mobile baseball strike zone. They can't jam at the line of scrimmage, although apparently hurling a player into a golf cart is okay. I cannot figure out why DC's can't re-figure out how to nail the damn QB in these option reads. There was a time where everyone but the service Academies had abandoned option ball for that very reason. Now it's like "The QB is running, everyone tackle half-assed!"

ChevChelios
12-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Geebus, you're a dumbass. Why you weren't perma-banned is beyond comprehension. Auburn is a helluva physical, smashmouth offense. They run the ball right at people and virtually always have a TE AND a FB on the field. They rushed for 550 ****ing yards tonight. But just because it isn't the I-form or the QB isn't under center, a whole lot of dumbasses like you don't consider it smashmouth. Shows you're ignorance. I'm guessing you're next door to Dawggeezer in the home.

And btw, might be time to change your ridiculous profile pic. Mullen is our coach and will be for several more years, if he wants to be.

The guy is such a clown.

preachermatt83
12-07-2013, 11:28 PM

1. ) We obviously disagree on what "smashmouth" means 2.) If you would read the words that your saying I think you would probably regret some of your adjectives. Its ok to speak to someone you disagree with without being so juvenile in your speech. It doesn't sound cool. 3.) When you get a little older and mature a little maybe we can have a conversation, until then just block me and I will block you.

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2013, 11:38 PM
1. ) We obviously disagree on what "smashmouth" means 2.) If you would read the words that your saying I think you would probably regret some of your adjectives. Its ok to speak to someone you disagree with without being so juvenile in your speech. It doesn't sound cool. 3.) When you get a little older and mature a little maybe we can have a conversation, until then just block me and I will block you.

So, you insinuate that I have trouble functioning in every day life, then get your knickers in a twist when I call you a dumbass for not acknowledging that a team who rushes for 550 yards is the definition of smashmouth?

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg.html)

ChevChelios
12-07-2013, 11:48 PM
So, you insinuate that I have trouble functioning in every day life, then get your knickers in a twist when I call you a dumbass for not acknowledging that a team who rushes for 550 yards is the definition of smashmouth?

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg.html)

LOL. How juvenile of him... gosh