PDA

View Full Version : Lebby recruiting

preachermatt83
01-14-2024, 09:54 PM
Lebby is working harder than any coach we have ever had recruiting this 2025 and beyond class. He is getting us in The conversation with some outstanding players.

Commercecomet24
01-14-2024, 10:22 PM
Have we had a HC in recent memory that attacked recruiting this hard? Maybe Jackie, but none since him that were putting in this kind of effort.

BeardoMSU
01-14-2024, 10:25 PM
Have we had a HC in recent memory that attacked recruiting this hard? Maybe Jackie, but none since him that were putting in this kind of effort.

Nope.

maroonmania
01-14-2024, 10:34 PM

I would say of our recent HCs, Moorhead would be the one that attacked recruiting pretty hard. Moorhead seemed to do a lot of hands on recruiting during the whole process. Even Jackie tended just to come in to close recruits. I think if Moorhead had better leadership skills to actually manage a program he would have done pretty well on the recruiting front. But Lebby seems to be next level.

mo7888
01-14-2024, 10:43 PM
Yup... but if you only judged this by looking at other boards you'd think he was a scrub at recruiting..

KOdawg1
01-14-2024, 10:52 PM
Moorhead loved recruiting and was pretty good at it. He just sucked as a head coach.

We won 9 games in 2022 with a lot of players Moorhead recruited.

Lebby seems to be another hands-on recruiter. He should be a better coach though

Todd4State
01-14-2024, 10:56 PM

Maybe Jackie but I'm thinking that Lebby will end up potentially being better.

As crazy as it sounds and this was a little before my time but I remember Felker was considered a really good recruiter. I'm not sure how good so I might be off there because it was before my time.

Commercecomet24
01-14-2024, 11:33 PM
Maybe Jackie but I'm thinking that Lebby will end up potentially being better.

As crazy as it sounds and this was a little before my time but I remember Felker was considered a really good recruiter. I'm not sure how good so I might be off there because it was before my time.

Rockey was an excellent recruiter. His recruits were the foundation for Jackie's first few years and were very good. Rockey just wasn't a good coach.

Todd4State
01-15-2024, 12:23 AM
Rockey was an excellent recruiter. His recruits were the foundation for Jackie's first few years and were very good. Rockey just wasn't a good coach.

Yeah! I remember people saying that all the time pre-Internet. Jackie was definitely able to win his first two years with his players. Really had a lot of close losses in 1991- Alabama and Tennessee came down to the wire and losing to Memphis was pretty fluky. They literally busted a fullback dive for like 50 yards for a TD. Not sure how that happens. LOL.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 12:33 AM
Yeah! I remember people saying that all the time pre-Internet. Jackie was definitely able to win his first two years with his players. Really had a lot of close losses in 1991- Alabama and Tennessee came down to the wire and losing to Memphis was pretty fluky. They literally busted a fullback dive for like 50 yards for a TD. Not sure how that happens. LOL.

My uncle is huge om booster and I remember him telling me that Jackie wouldn't win because he couldn't recruit like Rockey lol!

Todd4State
01-15-2024, 01:18 AM
My uncle is huge om booster and I remember him telling me that Jackie wouldn't win because he couldn't recruit like Rockey lol!

He was quite mistaken! LOL.

99jc
01-15-2024, 03:00 AM
Jackie's coaches were the recruiters he was a closer like Saban. I remember Lee Corso said what held us back from going next level was our QB recruitment.

BankerDog
01-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Yall said this last year about Arnett?

Homedawg
01-15-2024, 08:47 AM

As bad as jomo was he busted it recruiting. It wasn't for a lack of effort. He worked at it as hard as possible. The two he was sandwiched between not so much. With that said, the results weren't all that different. And don't know if Joni's evals were that good either.

Lord McBuckethead
01-15-2024, 09:13 AM
Arnett used Mason Miller and others to lock down that class. Then he fired everyone. If he had kept them all, he would still be our coach today.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 09:54 AM
He was quite mistaken! LOL.

Yes he was and I laughed at him when he said it!

Wink&aPrayer
01-15-2024, 10:52 AM
Lebby is working harder than any coach we have ever had recruiting this 2025 and beyond class. He is getting us in The conversation with some outstanding players.

Effort

DownwardDawg
01-15-2024, 12:46 PM
Yall said this last year about Arnett?

No. Arnett did nothing compared to this level that Lebby is hustling.

Coach34
01-15-2024, 01:15 PM
Lebby has alot more money at his disposal than Arnett did.

CaptainObvious
01-15-2024, 01:23 PM
Lebby also isn't strangled by the boys club of Friend, Peterson and Campbell doing the bidding of the Old Money Coffee Club who meets with <THE BUS DRIVER> at the local Breakfast Diner of Choice to strategize.

Coursesuper
01-15-2024, 01:25 PM
Lebby also isn't strangled by the boys club of Friend, Peterson and Campbell doing the bidding of the Old Money Coffee Club who meets with <THE BUS DRIVER> at the local Breakfast Diner of Choice to strategize.

You sir are well informed.

KOdawg1
01-15-2024, 02:47 PM
Lebby has alot more money at his disposal than Arnett did.

He's also doesn't come across as a robot

mo7888
01-15-2024, 03:44 PM

Speaking of Friend, has he been hired anywhere yet?

Turfdawg67
01-15-2024, 05:25 PM
Speaking of Friend, has he been hired anywhere yet?

Lol. With all that fist bumping and gloating on those previous threads... surely he's been hired by now.

lastmajordog
01-15-2024, 07:27 PM
del

Coach34
01-15-2024, 08:10 PM
Lol. With all that fist bumping and gloating on those previous threads... surely he's been hired by now.

The word a couple of weeks ago was he was being hired as OC and Hollingshead was being demoted to QB coach. No idea whats happened since then

Dawgpile
01-16-2024, 09:04 AM
Arnett used Mason Miller and others to lock down that class. Then he fired everyone. If he had kept them all, he would still be our coach today.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lord McBuckethead again.

BankerDog
01-16-2024, 02:14 PM
No. Arnett did nothing compared to this level that Lebby is hustling.

Would you like me to go to the recruiting thread and pull the statements?

DownwardDawg
01-16-2024, 04:23 PM

So a recruiting thread is going to tell me what Arnett actually did? Interesting. Sure. Pull the statements. Let's see how hard he worked.

99jc
01-16-2024, 05:01 PM

i want to see it too!....................Crickets

BankerDog
01-16-2024, 07:00 PM
So a recruiting thread is going to tell me what Arnett actually did? Interesting. Sure. Pull the statements. Let's see how hard he worked.

I pulled the statements made by same people. They?re in the recruiting thread for you bud. ?He will not be outworked.? ?He is one of us.? ?he is gonna flip these players-yall still gonna say he sucks?? Etc. the same comments every year. How about-take a wait and see approach for once.

BankerDog
01-16-2024, 07:01 PM
i want to see it too!....................Crickets

Take a look buddy?

DownwardDawg
01-16-2024, 07:29 PM
I pulled the statements made by same people. They?re in the recruiting thread for you bud. ?He will not be outworked.? ?He is one of us.? ?he is gonna flip these players-yall still gonna say he sucks?? Etc. the same comments every year. How about-take a wait and see approach for once.

I see what's happening here. You're pointing out what folks "thought he would do". We're talking about what Lebby is "actually doing" right now. Big difference. Lebby is busting his ass and I was very skeptical of the hire. He's killing it so far.

99jc
01-16-2024, 07:35 PM
I see what's happening here. You're pointing out what folks "thought he would do". We're talking about what Lebby is "actually doing" right now. Big difference. Lebby is busting his ass and I was very skeptical of the hire. He's killing it so far.

THIS!

dawgday166
01-16-2024, 08:00 PM

I kinda think what Banker is alluding to that on the recruiting board we're always recruiting well and if a prospect decommits, he sucks and we didn't want him anyway for various reasons, unless he goes to Bama or GA. So I kinda get where Banker is coming from.

However, this year, especially on the O side of the ball, it actually does look like we're really getting who we want. In past years 2 or 3 of the stud WRs would've gone somewhere else and most (not all) folks on the recruiting board would be telling how we dropped them and didn't want them.

I am impressed with Lebby but I'm still in cautiously optimistic mode probably like Banker. Regardless of how Lebby is recruiting, they still gotta be coached and if that and all else is going good, a bolt of lightning will strike us since after all ... it is historically what happens to MSU sports teams LOL. It never seem to go good for very long.

So I'm kinda in wait and see mode too.

Cooterpoot
01-16-2024, 10:49 PM
A staff that's been here a month recruiting around too 25 is strong. We got issues on the defensive side, but we can fix that down the road if we need to. Got probably the best class of WRs we've signed. Rebuilt the whole OL & grabbed a big TE. Come spring, we'll shake up a few spots. Class of 25 should be better than this year.

Todd4State
01-17-2024, 12:52 AM
A staff that's been here a month recruiting around too 25 is strong. We got issues on the defensive side, but we can fix that down the road if we need to. Got probably the best class of WRs we've signed. Rebuilt the whole OL & grabbed a big TE. Come spring, we'll shake up a few spots. Class of 25 should be better than this year.

That's pretty much how I see it right now too. The thing is there are plenty of in state defensive prospects that we could and should potentially get so they'll have a chance. If Turner has still got it he should be able to land at least three four star DL this year which would be nice to go with Hibbler. I really like AJ Rice. We appear to have some history with at least two LB prospects in state although Pernell's brother just left the baseball team. Then there is the CB from Holmes Central where we usually land their players. Hopefully some DB's emerge although there are a couple in the 2026 class that look solid.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2024, 02:20 PM
That's pretty much how I see it right now too. The thing is there are plenty of in state defensive prospects that we could and should potentially get so they'll have a chance. If Turner has still got it he should be able to land at least three four star DL this year which would be nice to go with Hibbler. I really like AJ Rice. We appear to have some history with at least two LB prospects in state although Pernell's brother just left the baseball team. Then there is the CB from Holmes Central where we usually land their players. Hopefully some DB's emerge although there are a couple in the 2026 class that look solid.

If I were Turner, every visit with a DL would just be a call to one of our NFL DL. "Let's see what my guy CJ is doing - Hey CJ, I got a kid here who wants to talk about what MSU was like gotta minute...."