PDA

View Full Version : Our fans need to drop the ? here we go again? attitude

cheewgumm
01-14-2024, 01:03 AM
About the basketball team.

Basketball is a mini marathon. It?s a tough league and just have to be there for the end, which we will be.

Quaoarsking
01-14-2024, 01:12 AM
Yeah, going 1-1 against two teams with NET rankings in the top 6 is pretty good unless you were expecting us to be a Final 4 quality team, especially when the loss was competitive instead of a blowout.

Commercecomet24
01-14-2024, 02:08 AM
Great post and I agree!

msstate7
01-14-2024, 07:52 AM
I was worried about this game after we really celebrated so much Wednesday night. Oh well, I wanted 1-1 this week, and that's where we are.

maroonmania
01-14-2024, 09:46 AM
We are a pretty good team but let's face it, we have significant flaws. Outside of Hubbard (when he is on) we have little perimeter shooting which is a major liability in today's basketball. The fact that we missed a bunch of free throws shouldn't get people upset. We are not a good FT shooting team and, to be honest, I can't remember the last team we had that was. There will likely be a couple of games where we are below 50% FT shooting just like last year. We also carelessly turn the ball over WAY too much which is a problem. As long as this team gets into the true NCAA tournament (not just the play in game) then I will be satisfied. Andrew Taylor not working out really diminishes the potential of this team because of the lack of outside shooting we have and, on top of that, we have not been as consistent defensively this year as last year. If you rewatch the first half of the TN game you will see that we were very fortunate because TN missed a number of 3 point shots that were wide open and that helped us build a large halftime lead that we weren't able to do against AL. This season in the SEC is going to be a roller coaster ride so we might as well buckle up.

Maroonthirteen
01-14-2024, 10:42 AM
Well we can forget having another packed house until the OM game and UK. Which the ratio of maroon to blue will determined by how much we win in the meantime.

So mathematicians, what's the minimum SEC wins to receive a tournament bid? 9 or 10?

maroonmania
01-14-2024, 10:47 AM
Well we can forget having another packed house until the OM game and UK. Which the ratio of maroon to blue will determined by how much we win in the meantime.

So mathematicians, what's the minimum SEC wins to receive a tournament bid? 9 or 10?

Per Ron Polk that's probably a good thing. We don't want to put too much pressure on our players.***

MaroonFlounder
01-14-2024, 10:54 AM
We will compete hard at Kentucky in a LOSS. Officials will have a hardon for Calipari and give him the most calls.

Then beat Vandy at home.

LC Dawg
01-14-2024, 11:04 AM
Tolu looked tired at the end of the game which is understandable. His conditioning will improve. Free throws absolutely cost us the game and if we shoot 55% again it will probably cost us again. We were 5-10 from 3 outside of Hubbard. Looks like Taylor is out so hopefully Fort can get us some outside shots.
The early SEC schedule didn't do us any favors and we definitely have some weaknesses but I still believe we are a good basketball team.

msstate7
01-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Tolu looked tired at the end of the game which is understandable. His conditioning will improve. Free throws absolutely cost us the game and if we shoot 55% again it will probably cost us again. We were 5-10 from 3 outside of Hubbard. Looks like Taylor is out so hopefully Fort can get us some outside shots.
The early SEC schedule didn't do us any favors and we definitely have some weaknesses but I still believe we are a good basketball team.

January is tough, but February is very favorable

99jc
01-14-2024, 12:02 PM
The problem most people have is anytime they go all-in like yesterday...excited and a full crowd the team and coach shits the bed!

msstate7
01-14-2024, 12:05 PM
The problem most people have is anytime they go all-in like yesterday...excited and a full crowd the team and coach shits the bed!

Bama is a really good team.

WSOPdawg
01-14-2024, 01:11 PM
I was worried about this game after we really celebrated so much Wednesday night. Oh well, I wanted 1-1 this week, and that's where we are.

So here's a couple of questions and I'm really not trying to be condescending:

Why does it seem other teams are capable of having BIG weeks and beat both of the top teams on their weekly schedule?

Why is it that when we have a chance to really get the crowd to buy back in, our teams crap the bed?

And on that note, would utilizing a sports psychologist to help our athletes with the mental aspect and approach to the game be of any benefit?

msstate7
01-14-2024, 01:30 PM
So here's a couple of questions and I'm really not trying to be condescending:

Why does it seem other teams are capable of having BIG weeks and beat both of the top teams on their weekly schedule?

Why is it that when we have a chance to really get the crowd to buy back in, our teams crap the bed?

And on that note, would utilizing a sports psychologist to help our athletes with the mental aspect and approach to the game be of any benefit?

There's not many teams in the sec or in the country that sweep our last week's games. Bama and Tenn are really good.

AROB44
01-14-2024, 01:52 PM

Do you really believe that every time we lose a game that means we "shit the bed"? If so, you should be a Bama fan in football and a Ky fan in BB. Actually you must be between 12 and 18.....

cheewgumm
01-14-2024, 01:54 PM
The perception is the team ?craps the bed? when they play a big game because

Our basketball fans only really show up during HUGE games with top teams.

Those games are tough. We will win some of those games ( we just did against Tennessee).

We will progress when the Hump is a tough place to play when any decent team comes in. Not just for top top teams.

That will also produce a basketball culture that is attractive to top recruits.

gtowndawg
01-14-2024, 01:54 PM
I took my family. It was fun but still not the Hump of old. Watching us shoot free throws is painful.

Our offense (dumping it to Tolu or Bell and watching them try and bull their way to the goal) isn't that great either.

msstate7
01-14-2024, 01:59 PM
I took my family. It was fun but still not the Hump of old. Watching us shoot free throws is painful.

Our offense (dumping it to Tolu or Bell and watching them try and bull their way to the goal) isn't that great either.

Definitely not our best night, and even still, we had a legit shot to win the game. I'm hopeful we will get better

cheewgumm
01-14-2024, 01:59 PM
Our previous administrations so screwed up our basketball culture that we have a whole generation of fans that don?t know how to even cheer at basketball games.

They have to be retrained on how to be good basketball fans.

Moving the students back court side would help, but we have to rebuild a basketball culture.

The Hump used to be a zoo. It can be again but will obviously take time.

Hopefully Jan?s stays long enough for that to happen.

cheewgumm
01-14-2024, 02:01 PM
More of our fans care about the Bama football coach than our basketball team.

That has to change.

State used to have a great basketball culture.

We can build it back to we could have two great cultures

Baseball
Basketball

Then battle in football.

CaptainObvious
01-14-2024, 02:06 PM
We have a very veteran team and added the most prolific scorer in Mississippi High History. If just getting to the tourney is the goal, they may actually win enough to do that and many of you will be satisfied. An experienced team like State has to win games at home like yesterday. Several SEC teams have shown they can win on the road. State rarely wins SEC road games.
They aren't mentally tough enough yet, and that is saying something for so many 4 and 5 year players.

cheewgumm
01-14-2024, 02:09 PM
Capt Obvious - I get your point. However..:

1) Last year we started 1-7 in the SEC.
2) We may have statistically been the single worst 3 pt shooting team in division 1.

We made the tournament.

That screams mental toughness.

CaptainObvious
01-14-2024, 02:30 PM
Capt Obvious - I get your point. However..:

1) Last year we started 1-7 in the SEC.
2) We may have statistically been the single worst 3 pt shooting team in division 1.

We made the tournament.

That screams mental toughness.

This team is experienced enough to make the Sweet 16. Just making the tourney may be satisfactory. But they HAVE best good teams when they get to neutral sites. Played the Jan's way Wednesday and beat a team better than Bammer. Played Nate Oates way Saturday and lost. State was in the bonus with over 10 minutes to go. In the double bonus with over 5 minutes to go. Missed 7 of last 10 free throws and the last 6. And to add insult to injury lost by 8, because Bammer made all 6 of their 1 & 1 free throws to end the game.

The wrong team won because of their sense of urgency and mental toughness down the stretch. The bigger, more physical and actually more experienced team lost on the scoreboard, the rebounding, free throw shooting, points off turnovers and fast break points.

WSOPdawg
01-14-2024, 02:33 PM
We have a very veteran team and added the most prolific scorer in Mississippi High History. If just getting to the tourney is the goal, they may actually win enough to do that and many of you will be satisfied. An experienced team like State has to win games at home like yesterday. Several SEC teams have shown they can win on the road. State rarely wins SEC road games.
They aren't mentally tough enough yet, and that is saying something for so many 4 and 5 year players.

Exactly. What's it gonna take for us to do the little things that allows us to protect the Home court (since it's so tough to win in the SEC) and then find a way to steal a few on the Road (we shoulda been ready to take the USCe game) given winning at Rupp, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, etc will be difficult?

We can't miss 12 free throws in the critical games. I don't want to be fighting for an 11-seed. I want our experienced players to develop that mental toughness to match the physicality we can present and push for a 5-seed (every damn year).

I guess I'm just stuck in the Darryl Wilson and Lawrence Roberts era(s) and know what we used to be and what we could be.

CaptainObvious
01-14-2024, 02:38 PM
It will be a long time before State is this experienced in basketball again, if ever.

cheewgumm
01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
We beat Tenn (#5) Wednesday.

My only point is it is not "Here we go again". We lost a game to a good team. We will also beat good teams.

BrunswickDawg
01-14-2024, 03:21 PM
Our fans look for every excuse not to just be fans and support the team. Just look at the posts in this thread and others. It's been this was for a long time too. We've been playing bubble level basketball for 6 years now - a level our fans should be supporting, and frankly is pretty much what we were in the 90s and early 00s. Some years better, some years worse. Instead we get every excuse on the planet.

This team has a great chance to make the tourney and win some games. Just be a fan.

BrunswickDawg
01-14-2024, 03:39 PM
Exactly. What's it gonna take for us to do the little things that allows us to protect the Home court (since it's so tough to win in the SEC) and then find a way to steal a few on the Road (we shoulda been ready to take the USCe game) given winning at Rupp, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, etc will be difficult?

We can't miss 12 free throws in the critical games. I don't want to be fighting for an 11-seed. I want our experienced players to develop that mental toughness to match the physicality we can present and push for a 5-seed (every damn year).

I guess I'm just stuck in the Darryl Wilson and Lawrence Roberts era(s) and know what we used to be and what we could be.

So I guess you only count Super D's last 2 seasons when we made the tournament and not his first season in '94? We went 18-11/9-7 that season and missed the tourney.

Roberts was awesome in '04, but we went 23-11/9-7 in '05 and barely squeaked in.

We had 9 tourney teams from '91 - '09. How is what we've been doing since '18 not up par? Make the tourney this season and we will have gone 3 times in 6 seasons. Our history says we might be able to push into a top 5 seed once a decade or so.

gtowndawg
01-14-2024, 03:48 PM
More of our fans care about the Bama football coach than our basketball team.

That has to change.

State used to have a great basketball culture.

We can build it back to we could have two great cultures

Baseball
Basketball

Then battle in football.

My sons and I wore Banana outfits and came ready to cheer. The bluehairs looked at us like we had lost our minds :rolleyes: some complimented us though.

Kudos to the lady in front of me with a young son. She was all over the refs and frustrated with our free throw shooting. She was an OG whoever she was.

maroonmania
01-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last night was disappointing because we were capable of beating Bama but no way fans should be tossing in the towel over the loss. Bottom line is that Bama is more talented than we are. In fact, we are experienced but still in the bottom half of the league talent wise. Last night was not 'shitting the bed'. That was done when we lost to Southern. In fact, losing to Southern is the very definition of that term.

Bothrops
01-14-2024, 09:02 PM
Jans hasn't been able to land the big fish. I don't count Hubbard since that situation was different. Is this an NIL problem?

maroonmania
01-14-2024, 10:28 PM
Jans hasn't been able to land the big fish. I don't count Hubbard since that situation was different. Is this an NIL problem?

Yep, we all know we wouldn't have gotten Hubbard if Kermit Davis hadn't been fired.

KOdawg1
01-14-2024, 10:57 PM
I think we go 9-9 in SEC play

msstate7
01-14-2024, 10:59 PM
I think we go 9-9 in SEC play

That gets us a bid imo

KOdawg1
01-14-2024, 11:00 PM
That gets us a bid imo
Definitely.

CaptainObvious
01-14-2024, 11:20 PM
I hope we go at least 9-9. I disagree our talent is bottom half of SEC. At least our perceived talent. Apparently the wrong people were doing the perceiving based on the experts here. The talent is certainly good enough to do better than 15-25 from FT. And certainly better than 0-6 from FT when the game was on the line.

PGHBulldogBG
01-15-2024, 09:14 AM
9-9 is going to be sketchy for a bid and it will be just like last year where we are sweating it out. The only reason we made the tournament last year and snuck in was because we beat the Big East champ Marquette on a neutral court. We would not have made it without that win along with the TCU win which was another quad 1 win. We also had a solid win over Utah last year which is kind of equivalent to NW and Wash State this year. We also had no bad losses and we have the southern loss this year . This year we have no quad 1 wins in non conference. It’s a completely different resume so we really need to get to that 10 win mark to stay safe.

Lord McBuckethead
01-15-2024, 09:26 AM
About the basketball team.

Basketball is a mini marathon. It?s a tough league and just have to be there for the end, which we will be.

Except....... for the past 17 years every single time we get some momentum we lose a big game at home. Surely we would win one eventually to keep momentum going, but we haven't and until we do that will be the attitude.
Just make some GD free throws and we win that game. That and adjust our defense every other trip down the court.

BrunswickDawg
01-15-2024, 10:07 AM
Except....... for the past 17 years every single time we get some momentum we lose a big game at home. Surely we would win one eventually to keep momentum going, but we haven't and until we do that will be the attitude.
Just make some GD free throws and we win that game. That and adjust our defense every other trip down the court.

That's the fallacy of qualifying your fandom.
Was beating Tennessee not winning a big game at home that carried over momentum from the very good non-con schedule? But I guess that doesn't count because the next home game was against an equally tough opponent.

We have a whole bunch of fans who think that having 4 great teams over a 20 year period makes us Kentucky and qualify their support based on those seasons. It's total BS.

msstate7
01-15-2024, 10:11 AM
Was beating Tennessee not winning a big game at home that carried over momentum from the very good non-con schedule? But I guess that doesn't count because the next home game was against an equally tough opponent.

We have a whole bunch of fans who think that having 4 great teams over a 20 year period makes us Kentucky and qualify their support based on those seasons. It's total BS.

^^^

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 10:17 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

Pancho
01-15-2024, 10:25 AM
I think a high % of fans have no idea the level of competition or what is involved in getting a group of athletes to compete as one.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 10:27 AM
I think a high % of fans have no idea the level of competition or what is involved in getting a group of athletes to compete as one.

You nailed it.