PDA

View Full Version : Weather dawgs...

DLGDawg
01-13-2024, 01:13 PM
What y'all got on snowmegedon 2024??

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2024, 02:50 PM
Up to 6" NW delta dwindling down to maybe an inch SE towards the 82 corridor near Starkville.

parabrave
01-13-2024, 04:35 PM
It going to be so cold Polar Bears are going to turn into blocks of ice

DownwardDawg
01-13-2024, 04:48 PM
Saw multiple trucks out treating the roads today. That was good to see. I-65 in Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin. Then the main roads here in Hendersonville/Gallatin as well.
Looking forward to seeing some snow......from the window in front of the fireplace. Lol

RocketDawg
01-13-2024, 09:07 PM
Saw multiple trucks out treating the roads today. That was good to see. I-65 in Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin. Then the main roads here in Hendersonville/Gallatin as well.
Looking forward to seeing some snow......from the window in front of the fireplace. Lol

Doing it here as well. Might be a bit early though. Tomorrow morning when the traffic is light might be better. Pretreat doesn't last forever.

DLGDawg
01-13-2024, 09:32 PM
Up to 6" NW delta dwindling down to maybe an inch SE towards the 82 corridor near Starkville.

Dang. Was hoping for 3-4" here in Mantee.

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2024, 11:18 PM
Dang. Was hoping for 3-4" here in Mantee.

I'll be honest something isn't adding up. All the graphics and winter storm watch language is 2-4" of snow, but the official forecast is barely for anything.

Dawgology
01-13-2024, 11:35 PM
I'll be honest something isn't adding up. All the graphics and winter storm watch language is 2-4" of snow, but the official forecast is barely for anything.

It’s weird, right? I’m not a weather buff but I’ve noticed the same thing. They are forecasting 3-4 inches in Tupelo but sleet and no accumulation for me and I’m maybe 20 minutes south of Tupelo.

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2024, 12:21 AM
It’s weird, right? I’m not a weather buff but I’ve noticed the same thing. They are forecasting 3-4 inches in Tupelo but sleet and no accumulation for me and I’m maybe 20 minutes south of Tupelo.

There's going to be a sharp cut off line where a few miles can mean the difference in a dusting and 4". But for where I live in Starkville the winter storm watch for my location is 2-4" of snow and the NWS graphics are for accumulating snow, but our official forecast is 40% chance of rain mixed sleet and snow. That won't get 2-4".

viverlibre
01-14-2024, 01:36 AM

What about Greenwood?

parabrave
01-14-2024, 03:40 AM
Here is a models for snow accum for around tuesday morning

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2024011400/gfs_asnow24_us_7.png

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2024, 07:47 AM
What about Greenwood?

Latest forecasts for predominantly a sleet and freezing rain event. Snow looks like it's being pushed more towards a Batesville to Tupelo line give or take. There will be some fluctuation in that obviously.

DownwardDawg
01-14-2024, 08:38 AM

It's a little odd up here in northern Middle Tennessee also. The forecast is showing just a few inches of snow. But I've never seen the trucks with plows on the front out as early as they were spreading salt. And they were everywhere. I guess we may get anywhere from a couple of inches to 6 inches. We'll see.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-14-2024, 09:13 AM
Weather Forecast are like MSU Sports, they get everyone all hyped up only to under perform.

DownwardDawg
01-14-2024, 09:16 AM
Weather Forecast are like MSU Sports, they get everyone all hyped up only to under perform.

Haha!!

parabrave
01-14-2024, 09:41 AM

And on the coast thats a good thing

No BS Dawg
01-14-2024, 12:45 PM
Looking more and more like icing through central MS/ Jackson metro area.

FISHDAWG
01-14-2024, 04:24 PM
I'm an hour east of you and my firewood is cut, split, stacked, and in my garage..... I'm still trying to get used to Tennessee cold

parabrave
01-14-2024, 05:45 PM
White death in Tunica and desoto ctys, with pretty good accumulation on the roads

DesotoDog1967
01-14-2024, 05:47 PM
Steady snow in Southaven now

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2024, 06:11 PM
Roads are quickly icing over from a Batesville to Oxford to Tupelo line. Particularly back Oxford north and west. Travel not advised.

DownwardDawg
01-14-2024, 06:20 PM
I'm an hour east of you and my firewood is cut, split, stacked, and in my garage..... I'm still trying to get used to Tennessee cold

Me too. But I'm doing much better than my wife. She may not survive another winter!! Lol

jwbigcreek
01-14-2024, 07:29 PM
Was a little worried driving from Grenada to Huntsville this afternoon, but it wasn't bad. Idiots at RSA already closed the base for tomorrow. Guess I should have stayed in Grenada as I'm sure they won't open it Tuesday either. Wifey said there were quite a few cars that had run off I-55 between Batesville & Grenada.

RocketDawg
01-14-2024, 07:38 PM
Roads are quickly icing over from a Batesville to Oxford to Tupelo line. Particularly back Oxford north and west. Travel not advised.

Pretty much as forecast. We don't have anything yet, and may not have anything substantial. Everything might scoot to the north of us.

RocketDawg
01-14-2024, 07:41 PM
Was a little worried driving from Grenada to Huntsville this afternoon, but it wasn't bad. Idiots at RSA already closed the base for tomorrow. Guess I should have stayed in Grenada as I'm sure they won't open it Tuesday either. Wifey said there were quite a few cars that had run off I-55 between Batesville & Grenada.

Tomorrow's a federal holiday so not may going to work anyway.

When I first started working for NASA, von Braun's written policy that "you are required to keep your vehicle ready for winter weather". That was before lawsuits were a dime a dozen though.

maroonmania
01-14-2024, 07:46 PM
Tomorrow's a federal holiday so not may going to work anyway.

When I first started working for NASA, von Braun's written policy that "you are required to keep your vehicle ready for winter weather". That was before lawsuits were a dime a dozen though.

True, but I also expect RSA to be closed on Tuesday as well if we get anything close to the snow and ice predicted tomorrow in the Tennessee Valley.

RocketDawg
01-14-2024, 07:49 PM
True, but I also expect RSA to be closed on Tuesday as well if we get anything close to the snow and ice predicted tomorrow in the Tennessee Valley.

I don't know about now, but they used to be really good at cleaning the roads on the Arsenal. Getting to the gate has aways been challenging though.

Temp just now dropped to 32 at my house. No precipitation yet.

parabrave
01-14-2024, 08:02 PM
If you want a good read where the white stuff is go to MDOT and click on cameras.

DownwardDawg
01-14-2024, 10:24 PM
Pretty much as forecast. We don't have anything yet, and may not have anything substantial. Everything might scoot to the north of us.

Yeah. I've been getting hammered by snow for hours now. And every flake is sticking.

jwbigcreek
01-15-2024, 09:02 AM
I'm a filthy contractor :) So I work & defer most holidays & take them at the end of the year. When I first started out there (1990), they were not so quick on the trigger for inclement weather. The last few years they seem to close on just the slightest hint of bad weather. I get a kick out of all the civil servants on Facebook begging them to close. One of their favorite lines is "don't you remember 2011?" Well I remember it & I was one of the last out of the building. Power went out while I was on 4 Mile Post going home & stayed out several days.

starkvegasdawg
01-15-2024, 09:28 AM
I'm a filthy contractor :) So I work & defer most holidays & take them at the end of the year. When I first started out there (1990), they were not so quick on the trigger for inclement weather. The last few years they seem to close on just the slightest hint of bad weather. I get a kick out of all the civil servants on Facebook begging them to close. One of their favorite lines is "don't you remember 2011?" Well I remember it & I was one of the last out of the building. Power went out while I was on 4 Mile Post going home & stayed out several days.

I think this is due to people back in the day having a higher work ethic and not looking for a reason to sue over anything. Businesses and schools close out of an abundance of caution of not being drug into court.

RocketDawg
01-15-2024, 10:17 AM

Yes, power was out a full week. I live near Toyota Field, and recall seeing the sky turn greenish to the west, then the power went out. That's when the Hackleburg storm moved through and eliminated the main power feeds into the entire Huntsville metro from Browns Ferry. Fortunately, the weather that entire week was perfect - no need for heating or cooling. Having underground utilities is great - that's the only time power has been out except for a few minutes one December when the temp stayed below zero all day and the grid was overloaded.

Pancho
01-15-2024, 10:20 AM
amen. I fully agree. I know of an entire county and city school system that announced last thursday evening that they would be closed due to the incoming rain. It rained some overnite and the precip was totally gone by 10 am friday. It is quite ridiculous with this abundance of caution and what if.

RocketDawg
01-15-2024, 10:22 AM
I think this is due to people back in the day having a higher work ethic and not looking for a reason to sue over anything. Businesses and schools close out of an abundance of caution of not being drug into court.

Absolutely. They even do it now in snow country as well. When I was a kid growing up in Meridian, we only had snow a couple of times but schools remained open. At State, we never closed classes because of snow since almost all students lived on campus and could walk to class. One time we were on Easter break and there was a substantial snow and school was delayed a day or two because students had gone home and had trouble getting back to Starkville.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 10:26 AM
Absolutely. They even do it now in snow country as well. When I was a kid growing up in Meridian, we only had snow a couple of times but schools remained open. At State, we never closed classes because of snow since almost all students lived on campus and could walk to class. One time we were on Easter break and there was a substantial snow and school was delayed a day or two because students had gone home and had trouble getting back to Starkville.

I remember those days too! I'm MHS graduate, class of '83.

parabrave
01-15-2024, 10:27 AM
amen. I fully agree. I know of an entire county and city school system that announced last thursday evening that they would be closed due to the incoming rain. It rained some overnite and the precip was totally gone by 10 am friday. It is quite ridiculous with this abundance of caution and what if.

Last week here on the coast they closed schools down because of expected squall line coming through/

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 10:31 AM

This 100%! If you grew up on a farm the weather was no excuse for not getting up and working. It was just another day!

Pancho
01-15-2024, 10:32 AM
I spoke to a meteorologist who told me that he has school officials urging him to basically say the incoming system is bad enough that he should recommend that schools go ahead and close due to the abundance of caution. it is ridiculous

Johnson85
01-15-2024, 10:49 AM

I think it's more work ethic than fear of lawsuits. Small businesses where decision makers have skin in the game still tend to work when they can. Government entities and larger businesses with principal/agent problems shut down a lot more quickly. The schools drive me 17ing crazy where I live. They love to shut down at just a hint of inclement weather, and 17 the 90% of parents that actually have to work that day. Been a handful of times where I've had to take off b/c the schools shut down because of "forecasts" of inclement weather and I spent the day at the park with the kids, which was fun, but not really how I wanted to use PTO.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 10:52 AM
I think it's more work ethic than fear of lawsuits. Small businesses where decision makers have skin in the game still tend to work when they can. Government entities and larger businesses with principal/agent problems shut down a lot more quickly. The schools drive me 17ing crazy where I live. They love to shut down at just a hint of inclement weather, and 17 the 90% of parents that actually have to work that day. Been a handful of times where I've had to take off b/c the schools shut down because of "forecasts" of inclement weather and I spent the day at the park with the kids, which was fun, but not really how I wanted to use PTO.

Remember back in the day. Hey there's a tornado on the way, y'all get in the hallway and put your books on your head, and then as soon as it's passed right back to class, lol

parabrave
01-15-2024, 10:58 AM
Remember back in the day. Hey there's a tornado on the way, y'all get in the hallway and put your books on your head, and then as soon as it's passed right back to class, lol

yep in scbool buildings that where all windows because we didn't have AC/

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 11:00 AM
yep in scbool buildings that where all windows because we didn't have AC/

Yes sir, all windows!

BoomBoom
01-15-2024, 11:18 AM

I think it's more to the fact that if you treat employees like disposable mercenaries, then they'll start to act like it. Hard to give a loyal hard work ethic to a company that hates every penny it has to pay you and nickels and dimes you on everything it can. Companies used to care about their employees, and got loyalty and work ethic in return.

dawgoneyall
01-15-2024, 12:08 PM
I think it's more to the fact that if you treat employees like disposable mercenaries, then they'll start to act like it. Hard to give a loyal hard work ethic to a company that hates every penny it has to pay you and nickels and dimes you on everything it can. Companies used to care about their employees, and got loyalty and work ethic in return.

Ever the comrade....

DownwardDawg
01-15-2024, 12:42 PM
Well, it snowed all night and it's still snowing. This may be the most I've ever seen. Imma go slide down the hill on the neighbor kids sled now.

RocketDawg
01-15-2024, 01:10 PM
I remember those days too! I'm MHS graduate, class of '83.

I was a bit before you. 1965.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2024, 01:36 PM

Just a little bit, lol.

FISHDAWG
01-15-2024, 01:57 PM
We have about 6" and still coming down.... I'm going rabbit hunting3405

parabrave
01-15-2024, 02:21 PM

Just missed out on the far east vacation I see.

No BS Dawg
01-15-2024, 03:30 PM
Jackson Metro now under winter storm warning

DownwardDawg
01-15-2024, 03:31 PM
I knew something was up with this system. Regardless of the tampered forecast, too many trucks were out treating the roads early. More than I've seen before. The weather apps now say that I've had 11 inches fall the last 24 inches and it's still snowing.

parabrave
01-15-2024, 03:36 PM
I knew something was up with this system. Regardless of the tampered forecast, too many trucks were out treating the roads early. More than I've seen before. The weather apps now say that I've had 11 inches fall the last 24 inches and it's still snowing.

Radar been showing heavy bands from 82 north to the KY border.

DownwardDawg
01-15-2024, 03:42 PM
Radar been showing heavy bands from 82 north to the KY border.

Yeah. It started a little after 5:00pm yesterday and it hasn't stopped. Larger flakes today than last night and every now and then it comes down hard.

DownwardDawg
01-15-2024, 04:02 PM
The latest says 13 inches so far. Trying to understand "shoveling snow" from driveway. Watching the neighbors shovel their driveway, this ol redneck just puts the truck in 4wd and drives away. It's fascinating.

RocketDawg
01-15-2024, 04:27 PM
The latest says 13 inches so far. Trying to understand "shoveling snow" from driveway. Watching the neighbors shovel their driveway, this ol redneck just puts the truck in 4wd and drives away. It's fascinating.

You might want to think about buying a snow shovel before the next one. Good exercise.

Extendedcab
01-15-2024, 04:53 PM
You might want to think about buying a snow shovel before the next one. Good exercise.

With that much snow and extended cold temps, don?t forget about a roof rake?

PGHBulldogBG
01-15-2024, 05:06 PM
I think the snow is coming up the east coast we have snow advisory’s in PA for the next few days and into next weekend

parabrave
01-15-2024, 06:38 PM

And the ER will be filled up with a bunch of middle aged men with heart attacks/ But you are right great fat burning exercise.

Pancho
01-18-2024, 12:17 PM
everything north of tupelo is a sold 3" sheet of ice with more sleet falling. buddy says there are 7 or 8 wrecks currently in New Albany

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-18-2024, 12:53 PM
Are the road passable in the Delta up North around Sardis? Trying to get over to Arkansas to Hunt this weekend and am a little unsure.

Pancho
01-18-2024, 01:00 PM
Oxford is slicked over. not sure any further west than that

parabrave
01-18-2024, 02:21 PM
Oxford is slicked over. not sure any further west than that

Checkout the MDOT Cameras and the I22 corridor looks about the same as it did 3 days ago. Snow and Ice everwhere on the ground.

starkvegasdawg
01-18-2024, 04:56 PM
Travel is not advised north of Grenada. From Grenada to the highway 82 corridor only if necessary. Here in Starkville things dramatically improved today. But all of the roads are wet and it's expected to drop below freezing again tonight so may be a good bit of black ice to contend with tomorrow.

DownwardDawg
01-19-2024, 01:42 PM
Can't leave the house this morning. Iced over on top of all the snow we've had. It started snowing last Sunday at 5:00 pm. Everything is still covered and it's snowing right now. Kids are sledding down the hills on the roads of the neighborhood.

starkvegasdawg
01-19-2024, 01:50 PM
A warm up is coming and with it lots of rain. I'm waiting on the euro to finish its 12z run before I write a post on it on our fb page. Long story short...keep an umbrella handy next week.

parabrave
01-19-2024, 02:12 PM
Can't leave the house this morning. Iced over on top of all the snow we've had. It started snowing last Sunday at 5:00 pm. Everything is still covered and it's snowing right now. Kids are sledding down the hills on the roads of the neighborhood.

When I used to live in UpState SC when we got the 1st snow usually in late Jan we had black ice till April. It never went away.

DownwardDawg
01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
When I used to live in UpState SC when we got the 1st snow usually in late Jan we had black ice till April. It never went away.

Crazy

DownwardDawg
01-19-2024, 02:31 PM
A warm up is coming and with it lots of rain. I'm waiting on the euro to finish its 12z run before I write a post on it on our fb page. Long story short...keep an umbrella handy next week.

Yeah, not excited about the weather next week. Driving to Mississippi Wednesday for a visit with the family a few days. Wanna hunt a little but it looks like rain the whole time.

MaroonFlounder
01-19-2024, 04:42 PM

Excuse me, but your profile says Covington Co., south MS.

It ain't snowing down there

DownwardDawg
01-19-2024, 05:09 PM

Lol. Most of the board knows me and knows where I'm at now. Still have property and family there. This north Tennessee weather has me truly considering going back to the mosquitoes and insufferable heat.

parabrave
01-19-2024, 07:35 PM

He is from the Black hole area of HWY 84 between Prentiss and Collins. Check out the night google earth of that area. Not even a speck of light from there. Just Naders.

DownwardDawg
01-19-2024, 07:47 PM
He is from the Black hole area of HWY 84 between Prentiss and Collins. Check out the night google earth of that area. Not even a speck of light from there. Just Naders.

Lol!!! That's home!!!