PDA

View Full Version : Potential winter storm and weather models

Matt3467
01-12-2024, 09:18 AM
The models I've been looking (CMC, GFS, ECMWF) are all over the place in regards to how much snow is going to fall and in what areas in a few days. I'm in central AR and the euro seems to think it'll be around 4-5", GFS is saying around 8" and the CMC is saying upwards of 17" or more.

Those with more experience than me which model is usually more accurate predicting these things?

parabrave
01-12-2024, 09:24 AM
The models I've been looking (CMC, GFS, ECMWF) are all over the place in regards to how much snow is going to fall and in what areas in a few days. I'm in central AR and the euro seems to think it'll be around 4-5", GFS is saying around 8" and the CMC is saying upwards of 17" or more.

Those with more experience than me which model is usually more accurate predicting these things?

Go with the European and GFS. But remember this is Mississippi 1" equals 1 Ft/ So get your Milk and Bread while it lasts. BTW snow isn;t a problem Ice is. I thought they were predicting snow only up near Piggy land. But it looks like the I 40 area is the heaviest area.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2024011206/gfs_asnow_us_18.png

Dawgology
01-12-2024, 09:45 AM
Okt/Lowndes will probably get nothing as usual just cold with a lot of rain that will ice over the roads

viverlibre
01-12-2024, 09:59 AM
Got my milk and bread sandwiches ready!

DesotoDog1967
01-12-2024, 10:24 AM
Walmart is betting on snow. They have requested a much larger amount of milk in the Memphis area than normal.

MetEdDawg
01-12-2024, 10:32 AM
These are tough situations.

Cold air chasing precipitation. In most cases we don't get snow with this in the southeast. Looks like there will be a potentially good swath with this one though. There's just not a lot of analogs to look at for situations like this down here to get great ideas.

National blend of models painting 1-2 inches across a large portion of the southeast. It's going to depend on how much moisture there is. We are getting within range of the higher resolution NAM and it's giving a general 1-3 inches across the northern part of MS, Arkansas and Tennessee with some smaller amounts into northern Alabama.

DownwardDawg
01-12-2024, 12:12 PM
Up here in Northeast of Nashville, it's supposed to get interesting Sunday night and Monday. Today it's absolutely storming with strong winds. I refuse to leave the house today. People up here can't drive for shit. Add strong storms and 50mph wind gusts......nope.