PDA

View Full Version : WBB win last night

basedog
01-12-2024, 08:47 AM
Saw lots of good things watching our girls last night, but also saw a few things not so good. Carter was dominate, Park Lane and Jordan (played with twisted ankle) are as good as you can get for the backcourt. But in third quarter the Hogs mad a run (we were up double digits) and Purcell never called timeout. Also we are not aggressive enough on defense, we switch and sag too much. It got a little hairy as we lost the lead, but we prevailed on the road for a much-needed nice win. I like Purcell especially his personality, he just needs experience, being young he should get better as he seems to be able to recruit.
Btw, I'm not sure what has happened to Powe, she was way more active last year but this was the first game I watch this year.

Offshore Dawg
01-12-2024, 09:32 AM
Sam said that Carter told him she was going to play hard, and she did. So was she not playing hard before?? Would any of you Coaches explain the mental make-up of basketball players. Other than that, too many careless passes attempted that resulted in turnovers.

basedog
01-12-2024, 12:52 PM
Sam said that Carter told him she was going to play hard, and she did. So was she not playing hard before?? Would any of you Coaches explain the mental make-up of basketball players. Other than that, too many careless passes attempted that resulted in turnovers.

Carter is our MVP.

CaptainObvious
01-12-2024, 01:05 PM
Carter is our MVP.

Be careful. She is going to take games off. It is in her nature. Powe and Rogers have got to give us more offense. Barnum is the women's version of DJ Jeffries. Very active but struggles to throw it in the ocean from the beach. Montague is going to be very good once she gets her footwork matched with her positioning.

NCMSTFAN
01-12-2024, 04:27 PM
Be careful. She is going to take games off. It is in her nature. Powe and Rogers have got to give us more offense. Barnum is the women's version of DJ Jeffries. Very active but struggles to throw it in the ocean from the beach. Montague is going to be very good once she gets her footwork matched with her positioning.

Montague is going to be a problem in the near future. She is young but has all the tools needed, she even played solid in limited minutes against South Carolina. We need more from Barnum, she was supposed to be our 2nd interior threat but I haven't seen alot of that

deltadawg63
01-12-2024, 04:40 PM
My biggest watch going forward through the end of this year and even into next year will be seeing evidence of this coaching staff teaching really good fundamentals to the younger players (Sheppard & Montague who have immense talent) and improving their in-game adjustments and strategy.

I like and support this staff but to me those 2 items are deficient at present and also costs us a game last night. I personally like the more intense coaching styles but will not harp on that. It was obvious that we were the more talented all around team last night but did not show it often by poor fundamentals and mental lapses.

Coaches cant project or help unexpected season ending injuries and that has depleted our depth in the post and can allow fatigue to make a difference, so no criticism there.

Applaud Jessika for energy and effort last and Jerkaila for playing injured!

But its clear its certainly more to the girl's game than just recruiting.

Bothrops
01-12-2024, 05:11 PM
It was a great road win.

basedog
01-12-2024, 06:16 PM
Purcell is still learning.

NCMSTFAN
01-12-2024, 08:21 PM
My biggest watch going forward through the end of this year and even into next year will be seeing evidence of this coaching staff teaching really good fundamentals to the younger players (Sheppard & Montague who have immense talent) and improving their in-game adjustments and strategy.

I like and support this staff but to me those 2 items are deficient at present and also costs us a game last night. I personally like the more intense coaching styles but will not harp on that. It was obvious that we were the more talented all around team last night but did not show it often by poor fundamentals and mental lapses.

Coaches cant project or help unexpected season ending injuries and that has depleted our depth in the post and can allow fatigue to make a difference, so no criticism there.

Applaud Jessika for energy and effort last and Jerkaila for playing injured!

But its clear its certainly more to the girl's game than just recruiting.

Agree, good post... Purcell recruits really well, but Im still a little concerned about his coaching