PDA

View Full Version : Lanning staying put

Msujd164
01-11-2024, 12:06 PM
Per 247.

Getting closer to Kiffin, or do they have their guy already?

TrapGame
01-11-2024, 12:16 PM
Standing in the shadow of Nick Saban ain't for everybody. They aren't replacing Debose or Schula this time around.

Maroonthirteen
01-11-2024, 12:19 PM
Please be Kiffin. Please be Kiffin.

Saltydog
01-11-2024, 12:22 PM
If I was Lanning I'd stay put too.

DownwardDawg
01-11-2024, 12:23 PM
Please be Kiffin. Please be Kiffin.

Lol. I'm with you! Mainly to see the meltdown, but I don't see it happening.

Msujd164
01-11-2024, 12:26 PM
This is literal. Saban said this morning he will still have a presence. He will be looking over new coach shoulder.

ZedFedder
01-11-2024, 12:28 PM
Lanning knows he can make Oregon the Georgia of the West.

DesotoDog1967
01-11-2024, 12:36 PM
Norvell?

Coach34
01-11-2024, 12:44 PM
smart man

Norvell and Ryans would be smart to keep their current jobs also

msstate7
01-11-2024, 01:01 PM
Lanning knows he can make Oregon the Georgia of the West.

Doubtful. They won't dominate the big10 nowhere close to what Georgia has done in sec

msstate7
01-11-2024, 01:01 PM
Dabo is my guess

confucius say
01-11-2024, 01:02 PM
Norvell makes the most sense imo.

Saltydog
01-11-2024, 01:08 PM
Why does he make more sense than Lane? Lane has a better winning percentage in his four years at UM than Norvell does in his four years at FSU, and UM is a tougher job.

chef dixon
01-11-2024, 01:12 PM
Lanning, Norvell, Sark, and Ryans are all in objectively premier jobs that don't have the expectations of following Saban. The worst NFL job is 10x better than the best college job in Ryans case.

The only guy in the candidate pool that this would be a clear and obvious upgrade/career advancement is Kiffin. Make it happen Ninja.

Msujd164
01-11-2024, 01:19 PM
Doubt it is Sark. Ewers just announced he is coming back next year. I would think he would need assurance from Sark before making that decision.

msstate7
01-11-2024, 01:20 PM
Drinkwitz would get an interview if I were bama

TrapGame
01-11-2024, 01:21 PM

You might be on to something.

Commercecomet24
01-11-2024, 01:36 PM
I told my sons yesterday that Drinkiwitz would be on my list if I were bama.

confucius say
01-11-2024, 01:36 PM
Why does he make more sense than Lane? Lane has a better winning percentage in his four years at UM than Norvell does in his four years at FSU, and UM is a tougher job.

Because Byrne wants an adult. Lane has a 24 year old GF (not his first) and does things like throw headsets and tell people to get their popcorn ready. Not to mention the bridges he burned on the way out of Tuscaloosa. Saban had to fire him before the title game for crying out loud. The feeling there is lane make it about him and they don't want that, for better or worse.
I do think he's as good or better a coach than Norvell though.

Saltydog
01-11-2024, 01:41 PM
Because Byrne wants an adult. Lane has a 24 year old GF (not his first) and does things like throw headsets and tell people to get their popcorn ready. Not to mention the bridges he burned on the way out of Tuscaloosa. Saban had to fire him before the title game for crying out loud. The feeling there is lane make it about him and they don't want that, for better or worse.
I do think he's as good or better a coach than Norvell though.

Your argument of throwing tantrums isn't a good one. Saban threw hissy fits and embarrassed his assistants on the sideline and threw his headset regularly. Now, I can't argue w/you on the woman chasing. That indeed could be a concern.

msstate7
01-11-2024, 01:52 PM
How about urban Meyer or bob stoops? I'd kick the tires

confucius say
01-11-2024, 01:58 PM
Your argument of throwing tantrums isn't a good one. Saban threw hissy fits and embarrassed his assistants on the sideline and threw his headset regularly. Now, I can't argue w/you on the woman chasing. That indeed could be a concern.

Lane wasn't throwing a tantrum when he did it. He was trying to be cool and flipped the headset at the woman.

DownwardDawg
01-11-2024, 02:00 PM
Lane wasn't throwing a tantrum when he did it. He was trying to be cool and flipped the headset at the woman.

This. It's totally different. One was actually pissed about under performance. The other is show boating.

Msujd164
01-11-2024, 02:29 PM
Sexton just arrived at Moore complex. He represents Deboer, Kiffin, Kirby, Norvell?

Dawgology
01-11-2024, 02:48 PM
Sexton just arrived at Moore complex. He represents Deboer, Kiffin, Kirby, Norvell?

I mean…he basically represents everyone

parabrave
01-11-2024, 03:15 PM
How about urban Meyer or bob stoops? I'd kick the tires

Saban would never allow Urban. Plus they've probably known Saban was going to retire sometime this season just by the way he was acting at the least. So they probably had Sexton on speed dial or he was told start looking awhile back.

DesotoDog1967
01-11-2024, 03:50 PM
Would DeBoer be Bama's Harsin? He wouldn't have knowledge of the area would he?

dawgday166
01-11-2024, 04:03 PM

I agree and hope not. Also if I'm Drink, I stay put. He's in a very good situation where he's at and isn't expected to win a Natty every 2 or 3 years.

confucius say
01-11-2024, 04:39 PM
I mean…he basically represents everyone

Never understood how he doesn't have a conflict of interest when representing multiple clients who are finalist for the same position. How can he advocate for one over the other without being a detriment to the lesser? Maybe he gets them to sign conflict waivers.

Homedawg
01-11-2024, 04:49 PM
I agree and hope not. Also if I'm Drink, I stay put. He's in a very good situation where he's at and isn't expected to win a Natty every 2 or 3 years.

You don't stay at Missouri if bama wants you. Just can't

Bothrops
01-11-2024, 04:55 PM
Kiffin is the only answer for Bama right now to continue winning at a high level. Ten games a year is probably about right. He checks all the boxes for them and was the OC there before. I mean, it's really a no brainer. This is Kiffin's chance.

Lord McBuckethead
01-11-2024, 04:57 PM
No way I would want the job following Saban. I would wait until next time in about 3 years.

TrapGame
01-11-2024, 05:00 PM
No way I would want the job following Saban. I would wait until next time in about 3 years.

This.

It's not like Saban had lost the program and it was teetering on the edge. He's the m'fing GOAT.

msstate7
01-11-2024, 05:03 PM
The problem with waiting is you may never get another shot at one of the most historic programs there is

confucius say
01-11-2024, 05:11 PM
Kiffin is the only answer for Bama right now to continue winning at a high level. Ten games a year is probably about right. He checks all the boxes for them and was the OC there before. I mean, it's really a no brainer. This is Kiffin's chance.

They don't want him. When McElroy goes on the radio today and says there is "absolutely 0% chance" Bama will hire kiffin that is telling. He's too smart to speak in absolutes like that without being told that by people who know.

Coach34
01-11-2024, 05:45 PM
They don't want him. When McElroy goes on the radio today and says there is "absolutely 0% chance" Bama will hire kiffin that is telling. He's too smart to speak in absolutes like that without being told that by people who know.

Mullen was never going to be hired at Fla until they got turned down about 5 times

msstate7
01-11-2024, 05:52 PM
This is interesting...

Could Alabama Hire Georgia Defensive Coordinator Glenn Schumann?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/could-alabama-hire-georgia-defensive-coordinator-glenn-schumann/ar-AA1mMakZ

Commercecomet24
01-11-2024, 05:58 PM
Mullen was never going to be hired at Fla until they got turned down about 5 times

This is what people never understand in these situations. Sometimes you have to go way down the list, even at bama.

SteelCurtain74
01-11-2024, 06:16 PM
I would be curious if Bill O'Brien would get a look now that Belichick is gone. Previous college head coaching experience at Penn St and as OC at Alabama they went 24-4. Wouldn't be my first choice but maybe he gets in the mix.

Coach34
01-11-2024, 06:19 PM
I would be curious if Bill O'Brien would get a look now that Belichick is gone. Previous college head coaching experience at Penn St and as OC at Alabama they went 24-4. Wouldn't be my first choice but maybe he gets in the mix.

Doubtful. Wasnt well-liked there

Coach34
01-11-2024, 06:20 PM
Think about this- Norvell to Bama.....Lame Kitten to Fla State

confucius say
01-11-2024, 06:24 PM
This is what people never understand in these situations. Sometimes you have to go way down the list, even at bama.

I agree. But sometimes people aren't on the list. Low is one of sabans closest friends, so for him to go on the radio today and say kiffin will not be a candidate is pretty telling. Especially since Saban is keeping an office at the building.

confucius say
01-11-2024, 06:26 PM

This is much more likely than kiffin to Bama. Only thing is whether lane would want to go outside of the big 10 and sec in the current climate

Saltydog
01-11-2024, 06:30 PM
Now, this I could certainly see. . . . . .

Saltydog
01-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Pawl Finebaum just said the leading candidates were Kal DeBoer and Mike Norvell and one wild card has arisen, Tommy Rees.

Commercecomet24
01-11-2024, 06:43 PM

Always a possibility.

Bothrops
01-11-2024, 06:46 PM

They would be dumber than I thought if this is the case.

Commercecomet24
01-11-2024, 06:46 PM
I agree. But sometimes people aren't on the list. Low is one of sabans closest friends, so for him to go on the radio today and say kiffin will not be a candidate is pretty telling. Especially since Saban is keeping an office at the building.

Things can change quickly in the coaching world. Never say never because we've heard it before. Not saying they're gonna hire kiffin but there are influential boosters who love kiffin and would over rule Saban if it came down to it. I highly doubt it's kiffin but I've seen a stranger things happen.

BigDawg81
01-11-2024, 07:27 PM
Things can change quickly in the coaching world. Never say never because we've heard it before. Not saying they're gonna hire kiffin but there are influential boosters who love kiffin and would over rule Saban if it came down to it. I highly doubt it's kiffin but I've seen a stranger things happen. there are other influential boosters that doesn?t want Kiffin?s antics around the program.

TUSK
01-11-2024, 07:40 PM
Man, with all this insight & information Re: the Bammer Program, I'm seriously considering withdrawing from The REC & investing the $3700/mo in a (more efficient) shine still... maybe even train up me a half dozen of those highspeed, low drag, crack-addled, guard squirrels, too...

BuckyIsAB****
01-11-2024, 08:08 PM

They would burn tuscaloosa to the ground

CaptainObvious
01-11-2024, 09:43 PM
Man, with all this insight & information Re: the Bammer Program, I'm seriously considering withdrawing from The REC & investing the $3700/mo in a (more efficient) shine still... maybe even train up me a half dozen of those highspeed, low drag, crack-addled, guard squirrels, too...

You might have to go to an Ole Miss board to get your Mississippi State info until your team hires a coach.

Commercecomet24
01-11-2024, 09:59 PM
there are other influential boosters that doesn?t want Kiffin?s antics around the program.

Of course there are, it's why I said I highly doubt it'd be kiffin but to say it could never happen just isn't very smart. You never know how many people are gonna turn it down and how far down that list you might have to go. It happens every single year.