PDA

View Full Version : Florida State being left out makes sense now

Pinto
01-11-2024, 08:56 AM
The committee knew it was Sabans last ride and wanted to give him one last shot.

Homedawg
01-11-2024, 08:59 AM
The committee. Didn't know anything. Except that fsu wasn't worthy wo a QB. It's that simple.

TrapGame
01-11-2024, 09:27 AM
The committee. Didn't know anything. Except that fsu wasn't worthy wo a QB. It's that simple.

And they were right.

Commercecomet24
01-11-2024, 09:48 AM

And it was the 100% correct decision

Coursesuper
01-11-2024, 10:05 AM

Yep.

Tbonewannabe
01-11-2024, 11:51 AM
FSU probably loses but I would like to have seen what they would have done with their starters playing. I think they had almost their entire starting lineup sit out. I think they only had 29 scholarship players. I remember how tough it was when we played with like 50 guys much less it being almost all starters.

All that game told me was FSU 2nd and 3rd string aren't good enough to compete with the full strength UGA. Adding Travis to that team without the rest wouldn't have made a difference.

Put Bama in their place with the same scenario and it might have been 10 points closer.

Lord McBuckethead
01-11-2024, 07:50 PM

Considering they had 20 other players opt out, there is zero ways to know.

R2Dawg
01-11-2024, 08:57 PM
Considering they had 20 other players opt out, there is zero ways to know.

This is true and it is also irrelevant. If they earned it by playing the season, why does how they do in post season matter?

BrunswickDawg
01-11-2024, 10:15 PM
Sounds like so many may have opted out because the money dried up -
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/1/11/media-center-nil-related-recruiting-violation-occurred-in-florida-state-football-program.aspx

Disassociated the collective as part of the penalties

parabrave
01-12-2024, 03:29 AM
Sounds like so many may have opted out because the money dried up -
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/1/11/media-center-nil-related-recruiting-violation-occurred-in-florida-state-football-program.aspx

Disassociated the collective as part of the penalties

Dan it reads like a Hugh Freeze plot/

smootness
01-12-2024, 08:19 AM
This is true and it is also irrelevant. If they earned it by playing the season, why does how they do in post season matter?

Exactly. Why anyone saying ?they made the right decision? is ok with the committee making decisions the way they do, I will never understand. MAYBE a full strength FSU was not one of the 4 best teams. But 1) that is subjective and we just do not know, and much more importantly, 2) why on earth are we ok with them just deciding who they think the 4 best teams are or who will play best in the playoff? That should not be how that decision is made. It should be, what team had the best season and deserves it most? That is how all championships in everything ever should be decided.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 09:41 AM
No one on here thinks the system in place now with only 4 teams is the best, BUT it is what's in place right now and nobody after watching the boring a** acc championship game wanted to se fsu in the playoffs with a 3rd string qb. It is what it is and the playoff games were very entertaining. In a legit playoff system fsu should've been in but with only 4 teams they weren't getting in without a qb.

ETA I don't see anyone making an argument for Liberty being in the playoffs, they were undefeated too.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 09:43 AM
Exactly. Why anyone saying ?they made the right decision? is ok with the committee making decisions the way they do, I will never understand. MAYBE a full strength FSU was not one of the 4 best teams. But 1) that is subjective and we just do not know, and much more importantly, 2) why on earth are we ok with them just deciding who they think the 4 best teams are or who will play best in the playoff? That should not be how that decision is made. It should be, what team had the best season and deserves it most? That is how all championships in everything ever should be decided.

But that's not the system that's in place right now. It's not based on regular season record it's based on a committees views and it's a crappy system but that's the way it is.

Tbonewannabe
01-12-2024, 10:35 AM
No one on here thinks the system in place now with only 4 teams is the best, BUT it is what's in place right now and nobody after watching the boring a** acc championship game wanted to se fsu in the playoffs with a 3rd string qb. It is what it is and the playoff games were very entertaining. In a legit playoff system fsu should've been in but with only 4 teams they weren't getting in without a qb.

ETA I don't see anyone making an argument for Liberty being in the playoffs, they were undefeated too.

But they should have had the 2nd string QB back for the playoffs. Do you think Bama would have been worthy if their starter tore an ACL in bowl practice and then the 2nd string went into the portal?

That full strength FSU defense would have kept them in any game. That FSU team after Travis went down reminded me of our 99 team, all defense and enough offense to win.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 10:44 AM
But they should have had the 2nd string QB back for the playoffs. Do you think Bama would have been worthy if their starter tore an ACL in bowl practice and then the 2nd string went into the portal?

That full strength FSU defense would have kept them in any game. That FSU team after Travis went down reminded me of our 99 team, all defense and enough offense to win.

I hate the committee deciding but there was no way they were including fsu after travis went down and the acc championship game. Also there was no guarantee the 2nd string qb would've been back. He should've been as you said but there was no gurantee. And what about Liberty? According to what everyone on here is saying, based on regular season records it should've been michigan, washington, fsu and liberty. Do you think that was happening? Look from the very beginning I wanted all 5 P5 conference winners in the playoffs and then 7 to 11 other teams. That's not the system we have though no matter my opinion. They playoff games were great games and as screwed up as the system is they were some of the best we've had. I hate the committee deciding but is what it is. Subjective decision making for playoff teams is not ideal at all.

Coursesuper
01-12-2024, 11:17 AM
I hate the committee deciding but there was no way they were including fsu after travis went down and the acc championship game. Also there was no guarantee the 2nd string qb would've been back. He should've been as you said but there was no gurantee. And what about Liberty? According to what everyone on here is saying, based on regular season records it should've been michigan, washington, fsu and liberty. Do you think that was happening? Look from the very beginning I wanted all 5 P5 conference winners in the playoffs and then 7 to 11 other teams. That's not the system we have though no matter my opinion. They playoff games were great games and as screwed up as the system is they were some of the best we've had. I hate the committee deciding but is what it is. Subjective decision making for playoff teams is not ideal at all.

Exactly, the problem with the current system is the same as its always been, a committee making the decisions and TV has to be having a say with that bunch. So we get a flawed playoff from a flawed system.

BrunswickDawg
01-12-2024, 11:40 AM
Exactly, the problem with the current system is the same as its always been, a committee making the decisions and TV has to be having a say with that bunch. So we get a flawed playoff from a flawed system.

Every NCAA playoff system is decided by Committee. And you can bet that TV influences March Madness (and you don't hear a lot of whining about that).

The problem has always been that limiting the playoff to either 2 or 4 teams is stupid. FCS gets 12 (of 133 teams). DII gets 28 (of 162 teams). DIII gets 32 (of 240 teams). March Madness is 65 (of 351 teams).
D1 should be at least 12 if not 28 teams. Eliminate the Bowl Games and play more meaningful football in December.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 11:41 AM

100%!

smootness
01-12-2024, 12:11 PM
If you are ok with FSU being left out for Bama and Texas, then you cannot ever again talk about what a team deserves because it means you do not care about that. Admit you just want the best TV product and we can move on.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 12:20 PM
If you are ok with FSU being left out for Bama and Texas, then you cannot ever again talk about what a team deserves because it means you do not care about that. Admit you just want the best TV product and we can move on.

As i've stated I want more teams in not less. And once again shouldn't liberty have been included as well? What is your reasoning for not mentioning Liberty? They were undefeated and conference champs as well. The system is messed up and it sucks and I would prefer more teams not less but they didn't ask me.

ETA The reason no one is mentioning Liberty and only fsu is because you don't believe Liberty deserved to be in the playoffs, so that mutes your argument for saying fsu deserved to be in based on their regular season.

R2Dawg
01-12-2024, 01:08 PM
But that's not the system that's in place right now. It's not based on regular season record it's based on a committees views and it's a crappy system but that's the way it is.

Yeah but they try to put factors on it then go back on their own words on the factors. So the season matters or not, W & L matter or not, P5 matters or not, Head to head matters or not, Pick all of these and FSU should have been in.

I can make arguments for Bama, Wash and TX being left out over FSU based on said factors above. Michigan in regardless somewhere. I can even make an argument for UGA to be in. But I can't make a good argument to leave Mich or FSU out - period.

At end of day it is only bias and eye test which is BS.

R2Dawg
01-12-2024, 01:10 PM
As i've stated I want more teams in not less. And once again shouldn't liberty have been included as well? What is your reasoning for not mentioning Liberty? They were undefeated and conference champs as well. The system is messed up and it sucks and I would prefer more teams not less but they didn't ask me.

ETA The reason no one is mentioning Liberty and only fsu is because you don't believe Liberty deserved to be in the playoffs, so that mutes your argument for saying fsu deserved to be in based on their regular season.

Liberty and FSU comparison is apples and oranges.

FSU is power 5 champion, undefeated and 2-0 vs SEC. No brainer.

All know what Liberty is.

No comparison.

Would FSU get smoked by Mich or TX or Bama or UGA without starting QB - maybe but that is a mute point. They earned the right to be there. And you don't punish 84 other players because one got hurt in a meaningless game.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 01:17 PM
Yeah but they try to put factors on it then go back on their own words on the factors. So the season matters or not, W & L matter or not, P5 matters or not, Head to head matters or not, Pick all of these and FSU should have been in.

I can make arguments for Bama, Wash and TX being left out over FSU based on said factors above. Michigan in regardless somewhere. I can even make an argument for UGA to be in. But I can't make a good argument to leave Mich or FSU out - period.

At end of day it is only bias and eye test which is BS.

I agree, I hate the committee system absolutely.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 01:19 PM
Liberty and FSU comparison is apples and oranges.

FSU is power 5 champion, undefeated and 2-0 vs SEC. No brainer.

All know what Liberty is.

No comparison.

Would FSU get smoked by Mich or TX or Bama or UGA without starting QB - maybe but that is a mute point. They earned the right to be there. And you don't punish 84 other players because one got hurt in a meaningless game.

Yeah we all know there's no comparison but everyone on here is arguing based on the results of the season and Liberty earned it just as much as fsu did, if you're basing it on regular season play. The committee system with 4 teams is stupid and it suck, can we all agree on that?

Also its a NCAA D1 championship not p5 championship and LIberty is just as much a part of D1 as fsu.

Coursesuper
01-12-2024, 02:49 PM
Every NCAA playoff system is decided by Committee. And you can bet that TV influences March Madness (and you don't hear a lot of whining about that).

The problem has always been that limiting the playoff to either 2 or 4 teams is stupid. FCS gets 12 (of 133 teams). DII gets 28 (of 162 teams). DIII gets 32 (of 240 teams). March Madness is 65 (of 351 teams).
D1 should be at least 12 if not 28 teams. Eliminate the Bowl Games and play more meaningful football in December.

I hear what you are saying and it make sense, if only that was the way things were. I think that there is so much money tied up in the bowl games, ESPN own half of them, that its almost impossible to get rid of them. The $$ involved is why the conferences have the tie-ins now so to maximize that cash flow back to their pockets.

Tbonewannabe
01-12-2024, 04:20 PM

Liberty did not play anyone. FSU played LSU and Florida out of conference. FSU had a harder schedule than UGA but no one says anything about that.

There was actually debate that SMU deserved the NY6 spot over Liberty because they played tough OOC where Liberty played cupcakes to get undefeated.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2024, 04:39 PM
Liberty did not play anyone. FSU played LSU and Florida out of conference. FSU had a harder schedule than UGA but no one says anything about that.

There was actually debate that SMU deserved the NY6 spot over Liberty because they played tough OOC where Liberty played cupcakes to get undefeated.

Once again if you're arguing for fsu to be in based on results then you have to give Liberty the same argument. All the arguments on here have been based on the fact fsu went undefeated and won their conference. Liberty did th same. So by defending fsu and ignoring liberty y'all are doing exactly what the committee did. You're basing it on your perception, which is what you're arguing against. The last I'm gonna say in this thread is we all know the committee selection process sucks and again i want more teams not less.

Time to move on to other threads. This has been a fascinating discussion though. Thankfully it beats the heck out of the woe is me threads about us!

Coursesuper
01-12-2024, 05:27 PM
Once again if you're arguing for fsu to be in based on results then you have to give Liberty the same argument. All the arguments on here have been based on the fact fsu went undefeated and won their conference. Liberty did th same. So by defending fsu and ignoring liberty y'all are doing exactly what the committee did. You're basing it on your perception, which is what you're arguing against. The last I'm gonna say in this thread is we all know the committee selection process sucks and again i want more teams not less.

Time to move on to other threads. This has been a fascinating discussion though. Thankfully it beats the heck out of the woe is me threads about us!

Amen to this.