PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: who are the week-one Starting 3?

The Federalist Engineer
01-11-2024, 01:46 AM
This the first time since 2014 that I cannot really say

A- Holcombe
B- Loftin if healthy
C- Cjintje if he made a leap
D- Ligon is he even in the team? This is the Miami transfer
E- khal Stephen, the Purdue guy?
F- Siary, he did the sacrifice start versus LSU
G- Simmons, he was a starter at Fordam many years ago
D- Dohm, Jay Powell says he is best as a closer or setup

parabrave
01-11-2024, 01:48 AM
Is Cade still on the team???

TNDawg35
01-11-2024, 04:20 AM

No, signed with the Yankees I believe.

The Federalist Engineer
01-11-2024, 07:43 AM

The Ace was drafted in 6th round of the MLB draft. The experienced guys are now Stephens with 14, Ligon with 26, and Cijntje with 13 career starts.

Coach34
01-11-2024, 07:49 AM
Holcombe
Loo
Stephens

Would be my guess Week 1

bulldogcountry1
01-11-2024, 09:31 AM
What?s the deal with Loftin? He looked unhittable at times last year. Then, he just disappeared. Injury, I assume.

I don?t think I heard anything about him from the fall.

Saltydog
01-11-2024, 10:00 AM
Loftin had some arm issues late last year and they shut him down but I don't think he had surgery but I'm not really sure of his status. If he's healthy, he's a weekend starter IMO. The stuff is just too good.

parabrave
01-11-2024, 11:09 AM
No, signed with the Yankees I believe.

Dang/ Wish the Brewers had got him/ MSU pitchers seem to have good luck when they leave Biloxi.

Coach34
01-11-2024, 11:09 AM
He was limited in the fall- hopefully ready to go now

basedog
01-11-2024, 02:28 PM
Dang/ Wish the Brewers had got him/ MSU pitchers seem to have good luck when they leave Biloxi.

When he signed with Yankees they sent him to Fl and they worked on many things to correct, he did well and will report back in Feb. Foxfall didn't help, just saying.

parabrave
01-11-2024, 03:20 PM
When he signed with Yankees they sent him to Fl and they worked on many things to correct, he did well and will report back in Feb. Foxfall didn't help, just saying.

Keep him away from Yankee trainers. They screwed up Holders shoulder.

The Federalist Engineer
01-11-2024, 11:19 PM
Ligon seems confirmed on HailstateBB Instragram

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1-kdxLuqsf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

His experience and Blue Chip pedigree combination is quite a luxury that MSU lost with Cade being drafted.

Ligon was the Miami Ace. Also experienced in big Friday's versus Florida, Florida State, and Virginia.

trob115
01-11-2024, 11:50 PM
Loftin had bone spurs removed. He's full go. I expect him in the rotation

Todd4State
01-12-2024, 12:22 AM

I saw where Cade was named one of the Yankees top 30 prospects recently. Congrats!

Todd4State
01-12-2024, 12:24 AM
My guess is this:

I bet we start out with:

Fri- Dohm
Sat- Loo
Sun- Stephens

I think we end up with:

Fri- Holcombe
Sat- Loo
Sun- Stephens

I'm guessing we bring Ligdin and Loftin on slowly and let them start some midweek and then re-assess after the early season.

Offshore Dawg
01-12-2024, 09:34 AM
Safe bet would be three pitchers on the roster.

Saltydog
01-12-2024, 09:43 AM
My guess is this:

I bet we start out with:

Fri- Dohm
Sat- Loo
Sun- Stephens

I think we end up with:

Fri- Holcombe
Sat- Loo
Sun- Stephens

I'm guessing we bring Ligdin and Loftin on slowly and let them start some midweek and then re-assess after the early season.

I don't like Dohm as a starter. He has a closer mentality and is a max effort kinda guy and I think is better in short stints. Maybe a multiple inning closer.

Coach34
01-12-2024, 10:07 AM
Unless he is having some kind of issue- I'd be shocked if Holcombe doesnt start opening weekend

The Federalist Engineer
01-12-2024, 12:10 PM
I don't like Dohm as a starter. He has a closer mentality and is a max effort kinda guy and I think is better in short stints. Maybe a multiple inning closer.

I thought the same thing. But I also wonder how different these pitchers will approach the game without being Foxed-up.

Jay Powell commented on the radio that Landon Gartman was not (paraphrasing) "being himself or pitching to his strengths." He declined in effectiveness through the season. He actually threw the same number of pitches at MSU in roughly half the innings he pitched at Memphis. And, of course, doubled his Walks/Inning ratio.

The Parker version of these guys could be vastly different than our recollection.

Todd4State
01-12-2024, 12:20 PM

I don't like him as a starter either. Clearly a relief ace/closer type.

Just seems like the kind of player we would promise to try it out so we can say he got a shot.