PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking this NIL may not be so bad

phatdog
01-06-2024, 07:56 AM
It can be fine-tuned by limiting the number of times the athlete can transfer and maybe multi year contracts. Our ability to change our roster quickly adds excitement for next season. This site and other sites are getting a crap load more clicks now. The best athletes will gravitate to the P5 schools. This should all settle out like free agency did in the NFL and MLB. Schools can buy all the players they want but they can't all be on the field at the same time.

MetEdDawg
01-06-2024, 08:44 AM
Just wait until it moves to high school.

Here in Alabama there's a bill in the house to allow NIL at the high school level.

Talk about not having any regulations or oversight. Move it to high school and watch the wild west get even wilder. Kids transferring high schools every year going to the highest bidder.

As a secondary public school administrator in Alabama , let's just say I don't want to be in the business of having to navigate NIL at the high school level. Lots of potential for screwy things to go on.

Cowbell
01-06-2024, 09:13 AM

Here in Alabama there's a bill in the house to allow NIL at the high school level.

Talk about not having any regulations or oversight. Move it to high school and watch the wild west get even wilder. Kids transferring high schools every year going to the highest bidder.

As a secondary public school administrator in Alabama , let's just say I don't want to be in the business of having to navigate NIL at the high school level. Lots of potential for screwy things to go on.

We have decided to homeschool for this reason - it's gotten to where schools in Texas are all about athletics when it comes to spending tax dollars. Our priorities are way out of touch.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2024, 09:51 AM
Or just make these NIL agreements binding contracts. You sign to play for X amount of dollars and if you leave there is a buyout clause.

The transfer thing is what screws all this up. NIL itself is not bad just like the portal by itself is not bad. However, when you combine the two it is the Wild West.

Coursesuper
01-06-2024, 10:11 AM
The problem with the current situation is that there is no regulation. It’s a cesspool of tampering with other schools rosters and $$$. Until the current system becomes unsustainable for the schools that have the most revenue there will be no movement towards changing the current state of affairs. The NCAA is no more, it is a shell of an organization. There will be a new organization soon.

Quaoarsking
01-06-2024, 10:21 AM
2 fixes will make it really good:

Defined, binding multi-year contracts so that the players and teams both know how long the player is staying
Some kind of NIL sharing program within each conference to help even things out a little

Todd4State
01-06-2024, 10:33 AM

Old school style recruiting is definitely going on at the private schools in Mississippi.

Pinto
01-06-2024, 01:00 PM
The easiest way to control all this is that starting next year each school gets 85 scholarships for football for a 4 year period. A school signs 30 kids to a scholarship next year (via portal or whatever) and those 30 spots are locked for 4 years. So a school can only sign 55 kids over the next three years, no matter what (ie. Hurt, transfer, etc.)

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Old school style recruiting is definitely going on at the private schools in Mississippi.

And it has been for decades.

RocketDawg
01-06-2024, 06:42 PM

Haven't heard about that. Would be a tragedy if that passes.

Maroonthirteen
01-06-2024, 07:15 PM
Regarding the limiting of transfers..... a federal judge told the ncaa ... "you can't do that." For 14 days in mid December. There was supposed to be a hearing December 27. However I can't find anything that says a hearing took place or maybe the restraining order was extended on continuance. I'm not sure.

Regardless it is my understanding players can transfer as much as they want and any time they want, currently. The fed judge basically neutered the ncaa. Because who's to say any other rule the ncaa tries to enforce that any athlete says .... "nah, I'll just sue you".

There are no rules now. None. Do whatever the hell you like.

Lord McBuckethead
01-08-2024, 09:21 AM
So you believe that not all Americans should be able to make money legally anyway they want?

Lord McBuckethead
01-08-2024, 09:23 AM
Haven't heard about that. Would be a tragedy if that passes.

Why would it be a tragedy? Because a black man can use his skills to make money, while still in high school?
Give me one argument why a high school kid shouldn't make legal money anyway they can, and I will tell you that Slavery was abolished a long time ago.

I wish someone would give my daughter a 100k to do archery. That would be awesome. She is 10 years old.

Dirty Dirk
01-08-2024, 12:54 PM
The easiest way to control all this is that starting next year each school gets 85 scholarships for football for a 4 year period. A school signs 30 kids to a scholarship next year (via portal or whatever) and those 30 spots are locked for 4 years. So a school can only sign 55 kids over the next three years, no matter what (ie. Hurt, transfer, etc.)
How does this fix the problem?

Tbonewannabe
01-08-2024, 03:20 PM
It should be just like normal businesses with non compete clauses. If you want to leave your job then wait a year or go to a team that doesn't directly compete such as D2 or Juco.

RocketDawg
01-08-2024, 03:25 PM
So you believe that not all Americans should be able to make money legally anyway they want?

Yes, of course they should. But it shouldn't be legal to pay high school athletes. And I don't think it will be in Alabama. If nothing else, it would be distracting to their academic work, and possibly not even be able to graduate.

You mentioned black kids in your other posts - athletics aren't restricted to black players.

FISHDAWG
01-08-2024, 05:29 PM

Just those who are old enough to enter into a legal and binding agreement... which is at least 18 years old

Maverick91
01-08-2024, 06:06 PM

This happens they must remove the farce of "student-athletes". Thats the biggest in sports history.

MetEdDawg
01-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Why would it be a tragedy? Because a black man can use his skills to make money, while still in high school?
Give me one argument why a high school kid shouldn't make legal money anyway they can, and I will tell you that Slavery was abolished a long time ago.

I wish someone would give my daughter a 100k to do archery. That would be awesome. She is 10 years old.

Can you explain how much sense it makes for the government to compel students to attend school while also compelling us to pay them for their name, image, and likeness while taking local tax payer funds to pay for the athletic facilities they use for said sports?

I mean please make that make sense.

SPMT
01-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Regarding the limiting of transfers..... a federal judge told the ncaa ... "you can't do that." For 14 days in mid December. There was supposed to be a hearing December 27. However I can't find anything that says a hearing took place or maybe the restraining order was extended on continuance. I'm not sure.

Regardless it is my understanding players can transfer as much as they want and any time they want, currently. The fed judge basically neutered the ncaa. Because who's to say any other rule the ncaa tries to enforce that any athlete says .... "nah, I'll just sue you".

There are no rules now. None. Do whatever the hell you like.

Contracts are most definitely enforceable.that?s the answer.

SPMT
01-08-2024, 11:48 PM
It’s quite possible the sports eat themselves to where interest gets so low there effectively becomes a righting of the ship. I’m there.

PendingTransaction
01-09-2024, 01:06 AM
Coaches probably don't want long term contracts.

Coursesuper
01-09-2024, 07:45 AM
It’s quite possible the sports eat themselves to where interest gets so low there effectively becomes a righting of the ship. I’m there.

I'm sure that they are following your lead and that's why there is historic money flowing into college football with the new TV contracts and universities changing conferences to get a slice of the pie.

Randolph Dupree
01-09-2024, 11:49 AM
I'm all for it in high schools. The kids that will get actual money from this are kids that are being or will be heavily recruited. In today's world, once you hit that status it's hard for a kid to get a summer job that isn't somehow tied to a booster. Let the kids make some money.

I will caveat this with there needs to be some regulation for HS and college, right know it is out of control and will get worse. Hard to believe that with all these, perceived, smart people at the NCAA and working in athletic departments that nobody has figured out a way to regulate it.

Negative Waves
01-09-2024, 12:05 PM
I'm wondering how much more money in the long-term can be funneled into NIL in general. Most people place money into investments that will generate a return on the investment. The only thing that money given to NIL's is a win on the field. Sponsorships of athletes by corporations definitely make sense since their product is being advertised by the athlete, but NIL appears to be simply paying a salary to play. Is entertainment worth that much money to some people? A couple of hundred bucks a year is one thing, but some of these folks are giving 5-7 figures a year! NIL appears to be a money pit in the long run that will eventually dry up.

Jarius
01-09-2024, 12:45 PM
Or just make these NIL agreements binding contracts. You sign to play for X amount of dollars and if you leave there is a buyout clause.

The transfer thing is what screws all this up. NIL itself is not bad just like the portal by itself is not bad. However, when you combine the two it is the Wild West.

Correct. No one really cares how much they get paid. The blatant tampering and disrespect to the fanbases by getting into the portal every 5 minutes is what is going to kill interest in this sport. They have to curtail that somehow or it won't last. Some type of 2 way contract has to happen extremely soon.

Jarius
01-09-2024, 12:49 PM
I'm sure that they are following your lead and that's why there is historic money flowing into college football with the new TV contracts and universities changing conferences to get a slice of the pie.

Oh he is correct. It's coming. It hasn't happened yet because these fans that are financing this entire operation have not had a chance to find out that they are still going to be 8-4 and not win anything of significance yet because right now everyone thinks if they just raise enough money they can win a title. Once it sets in that they are just throwing their hard earned money down the drain for a group of humans who don't give a shit about the universities they are playing for it will cause a significant dropoff in the sport. Everyone has known that players don't care for the universities the same way that the fans do, but it's never been this blatantly obvious and out in the open from the players' side just how much they don't give a shit and that is going to be a problem very soon if someone doesn't put guard rails up.

Coursesuper
01-09-2024, 01:02 PM
Oh he is correct. It's coming. It hasn't happened yet because these fans that are financing this entire operation have not had a chance to find out that they are still going to be 8-4 and not win anything of significance yet because right now everyone thinks if they just raise enough money they can win a title. Once it sets in that they are just throwing their hard earned money down the drain for a group of humans who don't give a shit about the universities they are playing for it will cause a significant dropoff in the sport. Everyone has known that players don't care for the universities the same way that the fans do, but it's never been this blatantly obvious and out in the open from the players' side just how much they don't give a shit and that is going to be a problem very soon if someone doesn't put guard rails up.

I agree the current system isn't sustainable. Change will only happen when the blue blood schools are worn out by the constant flux and cost, but they are driving the bus with Disney/ABC/ESPN calling the shots. They will finance and stock plie talent at a frightening rate, which we can already see happening. But as far as what the average Joe fan does they don't care and will do what they want. This is where it gets scary for institutions like ours, we are completely dependent on the TV $$$ to support our athletic department and also kick some $$ into the general fund. There are going to be more and more Wazzu and Ore St. situations coming, I pray that we are able to keep up and not get shuffled out.

Jarius
01-09-2024, 05:59 PM
I agree the current system isn't sustainable. Change will only happen when the blue blood schools are worn out by the constant flux and cost, but they are driving the bus with Disney/ABC/ESPN calling the shots. They will finance and stock plie talent at a frightening rate, which we can already see happening. But as far as what the average Joe fan does they don't care and will do what they want. This is where it gets scary for institutions like ours, we are completely dependent on the TV $$$ to support our athletic department and also kick some $$ into the general fund. There are going to be more and more Wazzu and Ore St. situations coming, I pray that we are able to keep up and not get shuffled out.

The average white middle aged male is who is financing this entire operation via television ratings and NIL donations. Once both of those drop because of the blatant disrespect some rules will change.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2024, 06:02 PM

Dude no one is trying to make high school kids slaves. What would come after NIL? You can count on it being a HS portal or something along those lines.

sandjunky
01-09-2024, 06:37 PM

Umm GA and TN allow and FL is in process of establishing a framework