PDA

View Full Version : Nil and state tax

TheLostDawg
01-05-2024, 06:45 PM
Time to get rid of state tax. Might not help much but something else to sell. Might help keeping some if anything if we can come close to matching

AROB44
01-06-2024, 08:21 AM
Time to get rid of state tax. Might not help much but something else to sell. Might help keeping some if anything if we can come close to matching

So....what are you going to replace it with?

Pancho
01-06-2024, 09:15 AM
So....what are you going to replace it with?

which tax his he wanting to end? income or sales?

Thick
01-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Didn’t Tater Tot mention something about his plan to get rid of income tax in MS, or was it someone else?

viverlibre
01-06-2024, 10:04 AM
Didn’t Tater Tot mention something about his plan to get rid of income tax in MS, or was it someone else?

Several leaders have suggested it.

Fordice pushed hard for it in the 90s, but there were still a lot of democrats in the house and senate back then. The republicans have super majorities in both chambers now (IIRC).

AROB44
01-06-2024, 10:50 AM
You have to realize that states that have eliminated state income tax have much much higher property taxes. Revenue has to come from somewhere. I have a son who lives in Dallas and his property taxes exceed $8,000.

Bdawg
01-06-2024, 10:57 AM
I figure sales tax would go up some

WCUdawg88
01-06-2024, 11:15 AM
You have to realize that states that have eliminated state income tax have much much higher property taxes. Revenue has to come from somewhere. I have a son who lives in Dallas and his property taxes exceed $8,000.

Not true everywhere. Actually Tennessee has lower property taxes than most of MS and they don't have state income tax.

RocketDawg
01-06-2024, 11:36 AM

I don't think having more money to lure football players to a college is justification to eliminate state tax. Perhaps there or other reasons, but football's not one of them.

AROB44
01-06-2024, 11:41 AM
Not true everywhere. Actually Tennessee has lower property taxes than most of MS and they don't have state income tax.

So...where does the majority of their revenue come from?

RocketDawg
01-06-2024, 11:51 AM
So...where does the majority of their revenue come from?

Probably sales tax. They have the highest combined sales tax rate in the nation (but it's the same as what we pay in my area).

RockyDog
01-06-2024, 12:02 PM

They also have Memphis, Knoxville, Nashville metros along with the huge tourist base in the Smokies. MS has none of that.

Poor Mississippians don?t make $ and barely have income taxes. Tate loves to say he would put $ in people?s pockets. If someone makes $20k, you are putting pennies in their pocket. Then you raise sales tax or property tax and you bite that poor person in the ass even harder.

Meanwhile state revenue goes in the tank, layoffs and position cuts occur and Tate rides off with his retirement in 4 years. That dumb ass decision would destroy Mississippi. But it?s all about optics with our state ?leaders?

TheLostDawg
01-06-2024, 12:32 PM
Sales/gas

viverlibre
01-06-2024, 01:37 PM
Getting rid of the state sales tax may help lure a few remote workers to the state due to low costs of living and proximity to Memphis, NOLA, B'ham and easy drives to ATL, Dallas and Nashville, but as my pop always said, they're going to get their tax money from somewhere whether it be income, sales, property, etc.

Maroonthirteen
01-06-2024, 03:06 PM
Woody Marks getting an apartment in downtown Los Angeles and we talking about taxes, mane. Taxes!.

Not more money but taxes mane.*