PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable crootin' battle

chef dixon
01-03-2024, 09:42 PM
I was just thinking how it's changed so much with the portal, NIL, maybe me just getting older; but the drama just isn't there anymore.

With that era seemingly over, what recruiting battle (good or bad) took the most years off your life? There have been so many good ones over the last 20 years.

TrapGame
01-03-2024, 09:49 PM
Chris Jones did me in. I stopped following recruiting after that.

Tripp McNeely
01-03-2024, 09:59 PM
Robert Elliott was pretty entertaining too!

TALL DAWG
01-03-2024, 10:04 PM
If only Elliott could?ve stayed healthy he may have played for a bit on Sundays.

KOdawg1
01-03-2024, 10:06 PM
Leo Lewis

NorthMs Dawg
01-03-2024, 10:12 PM
Elliott

ZedFedder
01-03-2024, 10:15 PM
Chris Jones.

civildawg
01-03-2024, 11:11 PM
Robert Elliot by far is the funniest but Chris jones had me sick to my stomach that night he was in Oxford

Tripp McNeely
01-04-2024, 12:02 AM
How awesome would it have been to be a 4 or 5 star MS recruit during the Freeze era!

Coach34
01-04-2024, 12:07 AM
The Chris Jones saga was epic. I’m good friends with people in Houston and was getting updates from the Houston HS coaching staff. It was insane

DownwardDawg
01-04-2024, 12:31 AM
Chris Jones did me in. I stopped following recruiting after that.

I was gonna post the same thing. I started hating recruiting after that. Haven't paid attention since.

parabrave
01-04-2024, 02:50 AM
Wasn't Norwood a saga also?? Simmons recruitment got ugly when that video emerged. The dam rebels just got plain vicious with that one.

Todd4State
01-04-2024, 08:00 AM
Wasn't Norwood a saga also?? Simmons recruitment got ugly when that video emerged. The dam rebels just got plain vicious with that one.

Yeah. The Governor of Mississippi and Ole Miss booster Ronnie Musgrove was giving him rides to Ole Miss games because Jarious and his son were friends. At least that was his story.

Pancho
01-04-2024, 08:09 AM
the same services rendered were offered to the guy who drove chris to the Gin

Count Istvan Teleky
01-04-2024, 08:48 AM
With that era seemingly over, what recruiting battle (good or bad) took the most years off your life? There have been so many good ones over the last 20 years.[/QUOTE]

Late 90s - Doug Buckles

Bdawg
01-04-2024, 09:23 AM
Jones takes the cake. Leo Lewis and the other LB they played out of position at DE(think he was from Philadelphia and I can?t believe I can?t remember his name) was also not very fun for me. Was also mad at Dan that we couldn?t get a sniff from AJ Brown, but maybe he couldn?t help it. I was also just mainly mad that OM would always seem to flip one each cycle that I feel we could have made a player out of only to watch him go to OM and do nothing. But I guess them doing nothing at OM is better than them having a good football career there.

Tough Dawg
01-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Can't believe Cam Newton hasn't been mentioned. That was the nail in the coffin for me as to keeping up with recruiting. I was doneso after that one.

Bdawg
01-04-2024, 09:39 AM
Can't believe Cam Newton hasn't been mentioned. That was the nail in the coffin for me as to keeping up with recruiting. I was doneso after that one.

Yeah. I guess I was more mad he got bought away and absolutely nothing happened to AU. Man how cheap is 180k nowadays? Could have competed for a championship that year too. Cheap cheap. I wish we could go back in time and see how bad the NCAA would have stuck it to us if we paid up and got him.

Maroonthirteen
01-04-2024, 12:03 PM
The Chris Jones saga was epic. I?m good friends with people in Houston and was getting updates from the Houston HS coaching staff. It was insane

Yep. OM pulled out all the tricks.

If it wasn't for the HouSton High HC, we would not have gotten him.

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2024, 01:46 PM
Chris Jones was interesting, but CJ Johnson was the craziest I remember.
Also, Big Jeff's recruitment was something. Nick Saban openingly criticizing MSU for staying with our commitment to him after the video surfaced, all the while contacting him directly that they were holding a spot for him at Bama. Saban wasn't the only one either. Multiple coaches both criticizing MSU in public and working Jeff in the background. Jeff should have posted phone conversations of Saban to social media following his statements to the public.

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2024, 01:47 PM
CJ Johnson is who you were thinking about. Dude was a beast in high school and then UM ruined him.

Tough Dawg
01-04-2024, 01:52 PM
I'm sure the HC at Houston helped, but there were a lot of Houston folks involved in this one of Chris.

chef dixon
01-04-2024, 03:16 PM
Chris Jones was interesting, but CJ Johnson was the craziest I remember.
Also, Big Jeff's recruitment was something. Nick Saban openingly criticizing MSU for staying with our commitment to him after the video surfaced, all the while contacting him directly that they were holding a spot for him at Bama. Saban wasn't the only one either. Multiple coaches both criticizing MSU in public and working Jeff in the background. Jeff should have posted phone conversations of Saban to social media following his statements to the public.

Simmons was probably my favorite win. We had taken it dry all day on hat ceremonies and it was a pleasant surprise at the end of the day when we salvaged him. And the dude turns out to be the most dominant player I've ever had the fortune of seeing in Maroon

Bdawg
01-04-2024, 03:28 PM
CJ Johnson is who you were thinking about. Dude was a beast in high school and then UM ruined him.

That?s it. Thanks

civildawg
01-04-2024, 06:58 PM
CJ Johnson had an ole miss fan rip his lanyard off and yell at him on his visit there. He basically swore them off but then the money talked

99jc
01-04-2024, 08:44 PM
Been following state recruiting for 50 years. Nothing comes close to the fiasco with Robert Elliott. He ended up hiding in a closet at his house from Ole Miss Recruiting team that just showed up at his house last minute late at night. Literally had to run and hide!

lastmajordog
01-04-2024, 10:28 PM
del

bulldawg28
01-05-2024, 07:23 AM
Chris Jones was epic but I go with CJ Johnson. Once he decomitted he helped recruit all of our former commitments to Ole Miss with him. That class was stacked and we had 95% of them.

MoreCowbell
01-05-2024, 10:24 AM
Simmons. Could not believe we pulled it off

Thick
01-05-2024, 10:58 AM
Chris Jones and Leo Lewis

Lord McBuckethead
01-05-2024, 11:21 AM
Simmons was probably my favorite win. We had taken it dry all day on hat ceremonies and it was a pleasant surprise at the end of the day when we salvaged him. And the dude turns out to be the most dominant player I've ever had the fortune of seeing in Maroon

Jeff was the best player I have seen at MSU and it was clear on his first snap as a freshman.

Bdawg
01-05-2024, 12:23 PM
Jeff was the best player I have seen at MSU and it was clear on his first snap as a freshman.

We need another big Jeff with the chain around his neck out there telling the other team we bout to whip your ass!!!! We’ve lost some that. We needs some dudes on defense wanting to break you in half!!

State82
01-05-2024, 12:25 PM
Chris Jones and Leo Lewis

Tough to top those two when it comes to drama.

Hailstate91
01-05-2024, 02:19 PM
May i ask who you knew from the Houston football coaches from that time ? I?m from Houston Ms and related to a former football coach at Houston who was very close to Chris Jones