PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cancun Trip

Dawgology
01-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Our family has a trip scheduled to Cancun in March. This will be our first time there. Can anyone recommend a good company that offers tours to Chichen Itza/ Mayan Pyramids. We?ve looked a lot and they all want to take you a couple hours there and then to another village for lunch and swimming in a cenote. We are just interested in the temples/pyramids. Any recommendations or advice in general for our first trip to Cancun?

hailmari
01-02-2024, 03:54 AM
I went on my honeymoon two years ago. We did a Rio resort in Cancun and enjoyed it. We did a full day excursion into Tulum to tour a Mayan city, swim in a cave and a lagoon, etc.. I couldn?t tell you exactly which excursion service it was but we booked it at the resort we were staying at. They had several stationed there to do bookings and they all seemed to offer practically the same stuff.

Although It was fun, I?d definitely pay the extra cash (within reason) to not share a ride with as big of a group as we were in. It was a very uncomfortable ride to and from the POIs. And I?m pretty sure they pretended to have engine trouble when we stopped for our lunch just so we?d spend more money at the bar there. I probably should?ve been pissed about it because it pretty obvious, but it was actually a great spot and we enjoyed the scenery.

Dawgology
01-02-2024, 07:47 AM
I went on my honeymoon two years ago. We did a Rio resort in Cancun and enjoyed it. We did a full day excursion into Tulum to tour a Mayan city, swim in a cave and a lagoon, etc.. I couldn?t tell you exactly which excursion service it was but we booked it at the resort we were staying at. They had several stationed there to do bookings and they all seemed to offer practically the same stuff.

Although It was fun, I?d definitely pay the extra cash (within reason) to not share a ride with as big of a group as we were in. It was a very uncomfortable ride to and from the POIs. And I?m pretty sure they pretended to have engine trouble when we stopped for our lunch just so we?d spend more money at the bar there. I probably should?ve been pissed about it because it pretty obvious, but it was actually a great spot and we enjoyed the scenery.

That’s good to know. We were between the private tour and the group tour. The private is about $100/person extra but it sounds like it may be worth it.

SPDawgs
01-02-2024, 09:23 AM
We went to Playa Del Carmen which is just a little south of of Cancun in November. I fully recommend doing the Rio Secreto caves. You get to swim through a beautiful cave that has been recently discovered and the tour guides were great with their information.

No BS Dawg
01-02-2024, 12:20 PM
www.viator.com

Just put in your travel dates and location and all excursion options will come up. I haven?t used personally, but has been highly recommended by others when booking excursions for cruises.

Catfish
01-02-2024, 12:54 PM
www.viator.com

Just put in your travel dates and location and all excursion options will come up. I haven?t used personally, but has been highly recommended by others when booking excursions for cruises.

Viator is great. We used them for almost all of our tours when we went to Oahu last year.

Dawgology
01-02-2024, 09:26 PM
www.viator.com

This is great thanks!

Offshore Dawg
01-03-2024, 09:37 AM
Do you scuba dive. Great place for that.

Dawgology
01-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Do you scuba dive. Great place for that.

I don’t. Though I do love snorkeling.

Bubb Rubb
01-03-2024, 12:03 PM
I occasionally have business in the Yucatan and I've been to Chichen Itza a couple of times. It's very interesting and well worth your time. Dress cool and wear bug spray. The mosquitoes are legit.

The private tours are well worth the extra money. You don't want to be crammed into a bus and at their mercy for a four hour round trip into inland Yucatan. Someone else touched on faking mechanical problems and that's very common there. They'll shake you down.

Dawgology
01-03-2024, 02:31 PM
I occasionally have business in the Yucatan and I've been to Chichen Itza a couple of times. It's very interesting and well worth your time. Dress cool and wear bug spray. The mosquitoes are legit.

The private tours are well worth the extra money. You don't want to be crammed into a bus and at their mercy for a four hour round trip into inland Yucatan. Someone else touched on faking mechanical problems and that's very common there. They'll shake you down.

Yeah we are leaning heavily toward a private tour. Hopefully that will minimize the shakedown.