PDA

View Full Version : This Orange Bowl really

HoopsDawg
12-30-2023, 05:40 PM
Shines a light on all of the different issues facing CFB. Bowl games diminished, opt outs, inequity among programs, transfer portal, etc

One easy step, 16 team playoff that starts right after the regular season. End conference championship games. First 2 rounds on campus- how great would that be.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2023, 05:45 PM
We need a running clock for this 2nd half.

msstate7
12-30-2023, 05:49 PM
NIL and conference alignment has ruined the best sport. I'm back to nfl now

msstate7
12-30-2023, 05:53 PM
And Georgia probably had a better claim on being in the playoffs than fsu, but Georgia isn't full of crybabies. They showed up and played... that's why they're the best program in the country

HoopsDawg
12-30-2023, 05:59 PM
And Georgia probably had a better claim on being in the playoffs than fsu, but Georgia isn't full of crybabies. They showed up and played... that's why they're the best program in the country

UGA is the best team in the country

msstate7
12-30-2023, 06:01 PM

And they will be next year too. Must be nice to have smart as your HC

SailingDawg
12-30-2023, 06:16 PM
I love bowl season and all games involved. We often see some great matchups and plays no matter the level of competition. But this year has been disappointing. I was hoping it wouldn?t be this way but it?s most certainly the lack of commitment by the players, who have all benefited from the system. They owe the system to stay and play in the post-season games. I hope the playoff is entertaining next year and that om isn?t seeded too highly.

BuckyIsAB****
12-30-2023, 06:17 PM
100 percent. This hopefully opens some eyes. If not, CFB is dead. Who gives a shit

msstate7
12-30-2023, 06:18 PM
I love bowl season and all games involved. We often see some great matchups and plays no matter the level of competition. But this year has been disappointing. I was hoping it wouldn?t be this way but it?s most certainly the lack of commitment by the players, who have all benefited from the system. They owe the system to stay and play in the post-season games. I hope the playoff is entertaining next year and that om isn?t seeded too highly.

Georgia and bama will prevent OM from winning it all, but they'll make the playoffs and it will suck

BeardoMSU
12-30-2023, 06:20 PM

Well said.

viverlibre
12-30-2023, 06:50 PM
NIL and conference alignment has ruined the best sport. I'm back to nfl now

I believe this has been one the best seasons ever, next year will be even better. For from being ruined, better now than ever. The non championship bowls have always been an exhibition, don't get too caught up in them.

msstate7
12-30-2023, 06:56 PM
I believe this has been one the best seasons ever, next year will be even better. For from being ruined, better now than ever. The non championship bowls have always been an exhibition, don't get too caught up in them.

Maybe I'm just old, but bowls used to be freaking awesome

Dawgology
12-30-2023, 06:58 PM

It’s hard for me to call it a best season ever when State went 5-7. But I’m more of a State fan than a college football fan.

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2023, 07:01 PM

They were fun because it's all there was. I've always wanted a real playoff like every other division of college football. There is nothing like a playoff atmosphere in any sport.

The Federalist Engineer
12-30-2023, 07:10 PM
Florida State better stay in the ACC. They are ACC soft now.

Notice that Miami got manhandled by Rutgers this week. Miami used to score 50 by halftime on Rutgers. Now Rutgers slaps them around.

SEC should focus on Duke and UNC only for basketball.

parabrave
12-30-2023, 07:27 PM
One thing the expanded playoffs should reduce is all the optouts for the top 12 teams. There is something to play for now and it may force the transfer portal to open up after bowl season. OH yeah FL State still would've lost by 50.

msstate7
They were fun because it's all there was. I've always wanted a real playoff like every other division of college football. There is nothing like a playoff atmosphere in any sport.

Nah, players weren't opting out 5-6 years ago.

The Federalist Engineer

Back with 1991

Rose Bowl: Michigan v Washington
Sugar Bowl: Alabama v Florida State
Fiesta Bowl: Penn State v Oregon
Cotton Bowl: Texas v Georgia
Citrus Bowl: NC State v Mississippi
Orange Bowl: Missouri v Notre Dame

You would have 3 games with National Championship vibe

msstate7
12-30-2023, 07:28 PM
One thing the expanded playoffs should reduce is all the optouts for the top 12 teams. There is something to play for now and it may force the transfer portal to open up after bowl season. OH yeah FL State still would've lost by 50.

What's there to play for for a 8-3 team in the final week? They aren't making the playoffs.

TUSK
12-30-2023, 07:31 PM
It told all of us what most of us already knew.... similar to last year.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/45/85/94/4585944f8c7e77afbec741a0bd6793a4.jpg

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2023, 07:35 PM
Nah, players weren't opting out 5-6 years ago.

Leonard Fornette and Christian McCaffery were the first bowl opt outs in 2016 - so yeah, they were opting out 5-6 years ago.

And I've thought since at least 1990 that we needed a playoff.

BuckyIsAB****
12-30-2023, 07:36 PM

Explain please

msstate7
12-30-2023, 07:37 PM
Leonard Fornette and Christian McCaffery were the first bowl opt outs in 2016 - so yeah, they were opting out 5-6 years ago.

And I've thought since at least 1990 that we needed a playoff.

Ok, Florida state had about 20 today for a NY6 bowl. You really think you're making a point?

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2023, 07:56 PM
Ok, Florida state had about 20 today for a NY6 bowl. You really think you're making a point?
Yes - players opted out of a meaningless game. Who cares. The bowls have always been pointless. They became more pointless when they figured out it was good to actually match up 1 v 2 and have a real National Champ.

Playoffs will keep at teams intact and give us 11 meaningful, likely exciting football games next December. I'm all for expanding to 32 teams like DII has.

msstate7
12-30-2023, 08:02 PM
Yes - players opted out of a meaningless game. Who cares. The bowls have always been pointless. They became more pointless when they figured out it was good to actually match up 1 v 2 and have a real National Champ.

Playoffs will keep at teams intact and give us 11 meaningful, likely exciting football games next December. I'm all for expanding to 32 teams like DII has.
If bowls with no national championship ramifications are meaningless, then what's the meaning of 2 7-4 teams playing in the last week? Why isn't it acceptable to sit that game out but it is for a bowl?

Coach34
12-30-2023, 08:06 PM
The conference championship games are not going to be taken away. The SEC makes wayyyy too damn much money with it to abandon it. Especially now with a bigger conference- just makes it more prestigious

Coach34
12-30-2023, 08:07 PM
If bowls with no national championship ramifications are meaningless, then what's the meaning of 2 7-4 teams playing in the last week? Why isn't it acceptable to sit that game out but it is for a bowl?

We've had future draft picks sit out of late season games they could have played in to save themselves.

msstate7
12-30-2023, 08:08 PM
The conference championship games are not going to be taken away. The SEC makes wayyyy too damn much money with it to abandon it. Especially now with a bigger conference- just makes it more prestigious

Since pac 12 is gone, let the P4 champions get the bye in the playoffs. That gives it meaning.

msstate7
12-30-2023, 08:10 PM
We've had future draft picks sit out of late season games they could have played in to save themselves.

I don't recall any healthy scratches here for the egg bowl. If there were, don't tell me bc I will lose respect for the player and the HC

chef dixon
12-30-2023, 08:12 PM
Folks are hilarious. This doesn't mean "crybabies" or proves/validates the process. Why the hell should play in a game is truly doesn't matter when they were already told all their other games they thought mattered didn't?

All this does is further illustrate the entire thing is a joke.

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2023, 08:14 PM

I'm sure it will start happening. You don't want players to opt out, win. Is it any different than a team tanking to get a better draft pick? Or benching a player so they don't have to play a performance bonus? Or to be college specific - start playing the younger guys so they have more experience for next year? If I recall correctly when our season started looking shaky you were a huge proponent of playing Parson because, guess what, our games were meaningless and getting Parson experience could matter.

Coach34
12-30-2023, 08:17 PM
I don't recall any healthy scratches here for the egg bowl. If there were, don't tell me bc I will lose respect for the player and the HC

Cam Dantzler sat out the game before the Egg Bowl in 2019 when he 100% could have played. There have been a few others here and there. "Business decisions" are now very much part of college football. It's hard to blame some with 50-100 million in their future on the line

msstate7
12-30-2023, 08:19 PM
Dekete

BankerDog
12-30-2023, 08:21 PM

Cam Dantzler?s year he hardly ever played except the the big games.

DownwardDawg
12-30-2023, 08:25 PM

How??? They struggled in a few games this year and got their ass handed to them by Bama a couple of weeks ago. Bama physically dominated their asses on both lines of scrimmage. UGA May be the 2nd best team this year. They ain't the best.

msstate7
12-30-2023, 08:28 PM

Pick 89 of the 3rd round. Damn... that seems like he thought he was Caleb Williams.

msstate7
12-30-2023, 08:29 PM
How??? They struggled in a few games this year and got their ass handed to them by Bama a couple of weeks ago. Bama physically dominated their asses on both lines of scrimmage. UGA May be the 2nd best team this year. They ain't the best.

We beat Arizona, but I wouldn't bet on it twice. 1 game samples are tricky

smootness
12-30-2023, 08:32 PM
Cam Dantzler sat out the game before the Egg Bowl in 2019 when he 100% could have played. There have been a few others here and there. "Business decisions" are now very much part of college football. It's hard to blame some with 50-100 million in their future on the line

You think him sitting out the Abilene Christian game so he could be ready for the Egg Bowl is the same thing?

smootness
12-30-2023, 08:33 PM

Bama got basically beat by Auburn the week before that. So they ain?t the best I guess.

Coach34
12-30-2023, 08:34 PM

Dantzler started 9 games in 2019. But yes he played alot of 2019 protecting himself.

preachermatt83
12-30-2023, 08:40 PM
Back with 1991

Rose Bowl: Michigan v Washington
Sugar Bowl: Alabama v Florida State
Fiesta Bowl: Penn State v Oregon
Cotton Bowl: Texas v Georgia
Citrus Bowl: NC State v Mississippi
Orange Bowl: Missouri v Notre Dame

You would have 3 games with National Championship vibe
Heck yea. I miss these days. I even miss the BCS era

DownwardDawg
12-30-2023, 08:44 PM
We beat Arizona, but I wouldn't bet on it twice. 1 game samples are tricky

Arizona would destroy us if we played again. Bama would beat UGA 2 out 3. I saw them play. Bama was much more physical. That doesn't change. Bama was sleep walking when they played auburn. UGA was not sleep walking when they played Bama.

preachermatt83
12-30-2023, 08:45 PM
Arizona would destroy us if we played again. Bama would beat UGA 2 out 3. I saw them play. Bama was much more physical. That doesn't change. Bama was sleep walking when they played auburn. UGA was not sleep walking when they played Bama.

Bama, mich, tx, and washington are all better than uga in my opinion. But all 5 are very very close.

Coach34
12-30-2023, 08:49 PM
Bama, mich, tx, and washington are all better than uga in my opinion. But all 5 are very very close.

Disagree. I think Jawja would beat all 4. I'd take Kirby in the rematch. Texas is going to handle Washington.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2023, 08:50 PM

The SEC would still get their cut from the extra round of playoff games.

Bdawg
12-30-2023, 08:50 PM

No where near what they used to be. There will always be some close games every year, but bowl games used to mean something to the players. Bowl swag and trips. Players already have the swag(money) and most don?t care anymore.

basedog
12-30-2023, 08:52 PM
Disagree. I think Jawja would beat all 4. I'd take Kirby in the rematch. Texas is going to handle Washington.

I can’t disagree. I also think Jawja will be favorite to win it all next year.

Coach34
12-30-2023, 08:53 PM
The SEC would still get their cut from the extra round of playoff games.

They dont want a cut. They make 50-60MM off the SEC championship game. They aint evahhhh giving that up

Bdawg
12-30-2023, 08:57 PM
They dont want a cut. They make 50-60MM off the SEC championship game. They aint evahhhh giving that up

Nope

Coach34
12-30-2023, 08:59 PM
The city of Atlanta makes millions off the SEC Title game. Atlanta pays the SEC office for that game. The SEC title game aint going nowhere

Coach34
12-30-2023, 09:08 PM
Man- ya'll got to realize. Sankey is head of the SEC but he has a private LLC company for his side money. The city of Atlanta pays him as well as others to make sure they are kept in the mix of all things SEC

Lord McBuckethead
12-30-2023, 09:14 PM
Why 12 and not 16. I have never understood how 12 is the number they picked. If you have 16 you play 8 games playoff week 1. One week off and then you play the round of 8. One week off and you play the final 4. One week off and National Championship. Too easy. I would argue the first two rounds should be on campus, or all games of one side of the bracket should be in Dallas, Atlanta, or Las Vegas.

bulldawg28
12-30-2023, 09:32 PM
And they will be next year too. Must be nice to have smart as your HC

Nah

CaptainObvious
12-30-2023, 09:37 PM
I hated bowl season this year. Two reasons.

1) State didn't play so I didn't get that extra vacation trip during the Holidays.
2) way too many bowls moved their games to the week before Christmas. Terrible idea.

PGHBulldogBG
12-30-2023, 09:43 PM
I wish they would just go ahead and put FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, NC State and VA Tech in the SEC and ND, UVA, Louisville and UNC in the Big 10. Give each conference those 22 teams because I think most know that is what eventually will happen. Then add the rest of the ACC to the big 12. The top 5 SEC teams, top 5 Big 10 teams and top 2 big 12 teams make the playoff and call it a day

CaptainObvious
12-30-2023, 09:48 PM
I wish they would just go ahead and put FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, NC State and VA Tech in the SEC and ND, UVA, Louisville and UNC in the Big 10. Give each conference those 22 teams because I think most know that is what eventually will happen. Then add the rest of the ACC to the big 12. The top 5 SEC teams, top 5 Big 10 teams and top 2 big 12 teams make the playoff and call it a day

But, But, But what about UCF and Liberty?

Coach34
12-30-2023, 09:50 PM
But, But, But what about UCF and Liberty?

UCF is in the Big 12 now and Liberty will find their way to a big conference

CaptainObvious
12-30-2023, 10:02 PM
UCF is in the Big 12 now and Liberty will find their way to a big conference

Yes, I know but remember that Florida writer that kept saying UCF should be in the SEC? That was my point of sarcasm regarding the posters suggested alignments.

TUSK
12-31-2023, 01:15 AM
you people don't even know how deep this elephant hole will take ya....

#PMC #MIC #Bear

parabrave
12-31-2023, 02:21 AM
Hey TUSK what ya gonna do when Saban wins it all and goes Bye Bye.

MBDawg601
12-31-2023, 02:23 AM
I have never gotten the opting out bs.

If they're scared to play in one more game, I would think that would hurt their stock. I like the way Georgia's QB put it.

He doesn't care if he has the chance to play you in the backyard BBQ bowl. If he gets a chance to go out and compete, he is going to do it at the highest level. That is a dawg mentality right there. Now... we will see if he ever "opts out", but it sounded good on TV. Lol

parabrave
12-31-2023, 04:20 AM

If they're scared to play in one more game, I would think that would hurt their stock. I like the way Georgia's QB put it.

He doesn't care if he has the chance to play you in the backyard BBQ bowl. If he gets a chance to go out and compete, he is going to do it at the highest level. That is a dawg mentality right there. Now... we will see if he ever "opts out", but it sounded good on TV. Lol

It's called the Willis McGahee syndrome Miami RB who Shreds his knee in a bowl game. He was a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft/ I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner than Fournette.

Todd4State
12-31-2023, 04:42 AM
My solutions if I were in charge.

1. 16 team playoff. Top 16 teams get in. Higher seeds play at their home venue on campus. Championship game at a neutral site.

2. Keep the bowls. Too much money there and people will watch them. Have them for teams 17 through whatever. People love watching football. Schools love the exposure and coaches want the opportunity to develop their team further in hopes that they get to the playoffs. Lots of positives. Two 8-4 or 9-3 teams in the Sugar Bowl going head to head isn't the worst thing ever.

3. No opt outs allowed anymore. If you are on a team you are expected to complete the season with the team.

4. Keep the Championship Games. Coach is right- the SEC Championship Game isn't going anywhere. Plus it creates intrigue. Imagine an Alabama/Georgia rematch for the NC. The game would be for higher seeding essentially. Which would be huge for a rematch.

StarkVegasSteve
12-31-2023, 08:07 AM
Georgia and bama will prevent OM from winning it all, but they'll make the playoffs and it will suck

I just do not see it. I think they are an 8-9 win team next year. With their schedule, that will not get them in. Also?.watch the portal the next couple of days with them. And it will not be for players coming to Ole Miss. They got some guys that want new NIL deals.

StarkVegasSteve
12-31-2023, 08:10 AM

It is all about program mentality and buy in from the players. We had it last year, outside of a couple of players. OM had it this year. UGA and Bama have it every year. That is the difference. Go back to last year and look at how few opt outs Bama had in their bowl game. UGA this year.

It is why they are the gold standard programs in CFB right now. Those players have a COMPLETE buy in to the program.

R2Dawg
12-31-2023, 08:28 AM
Florida State better stay in the ACC. They are ACC soft now.

Notice that Miami got manhandled by Rutgers this week. Miami used to score 50 by halftime on Rutgers. Now Rutgers slaps them around.

SEC should focus on Duke and UNC only for basketball.

Do that and MSU is screwed in basketball. Screw the SEC, don't need two top blue bloods anymore than we got.

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2023, 09:04 AM
It is all about program mentality and buy in from the players. We had it last year, outside of a couple of players. OM had it this year. UGA and Bama have it every year. That is the difference. Go back to last year and look at how few opt outs Bama had in their bowl game. UGA this year.

It is why they are the gold standard programs in CFB right now. Those players have a COMPLETE buy in to the program.

That's why I have no sympathy for FSU. Bunch of mercenaries from the start. At least 4 opt outs were 1 year portal guys, and 3-4 were 2 year portal guys. And of course Fabian Lovett and Jarian Jones opted out - they've been about the money since high school. When you build your team like that there will be no loyalty and the best will opt not to play unless it is to their advantage to do so. Welcome to the new CFB

basedog
12-31-2023, 09:29 AM
That's why I have no sympathy for FSU. Bunch of mercenaries from the start. At least 4 opt outs were 1 year portal guys, and 3-4 were 2 year portal guys. And of course Fabian Lovett and Jarian Jones opted out - they've been about the money since high school. When you build your team like that there will be no loyalty and the best will opt not to play unless it is to their advantage to do so. Welcome to the new CFB

Yep, and imagine the guys on the team that have contributed and been "good teammates" then here comes a few portals that only care about themselves and how much money they can make. Team chemistry is so important in college sports especially, greed can destroy team moral and sour the fan base. NIL sucks big time, so does the Ncaa!

StarkVegasSteve
12-31-2023, 09:35 AM

Which is why you still have to build through traditional recruiting and backfill through the portal. Look at Mizzou. Drinkwitz never panicked and went all in on the portal, even though everyone said he was crazy for not doing it. He kept recruiting well and then picking and choosing what he needed out of the portal.

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2023, 09:48 AM
Which is why you still have to build through traditional recruiting and backfill through the portal. Look at Mizzou. Drinkwitz never panicked and went all in on the portal, even though everyone said he was crazy for not doing it. He kept recruiting well and then picking and choosing what he needed out of the portal.

I agree - which is why I'm also not panicking about what Lebby has done so far. We have positions of need, and he has focused some for portal and some for HS. He has brought home MS guys from out of state - which I think can be a boon to the building his culture too.

TUSK
12-31-2023, 03:32 PM
1. Thank him.
2. Apologize for underpaying him.

Todd4State
12-31-2023, 04:20 PM

I agree - which is why I'm also not panicking about what Lebby has done so far. We have positions of need, and he has focused some for portal and some for HS. He has brought home MS guys from out of state - which I think can be a boon to the building his culture too.

I like what Lebby is doing in recruiting so far. Sure the defensive side in HS recruiting is a bit out of whack. But I'm giving him a pass given the timing of everything. If we land Stonka and Hill this week that's four Under Armour AA's basically landed in a month. That's impressive. Especially given that two are out of state.

I think we've done well in the portal too. We still have work to do but we've been really active. We have a QB that can start for us, got a really good WR, added some TE's, and completely rebuilt our o-line. And then on defense we've added some DT's and we were able to get Ellington back plus we added a CB with multiple years of eligibility to the roster from Memphis. We should add some more guys the next couple of weeks too. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Might get a RB too. Also added a punter the other day before I forget.

We still have some holes but in a couple of weeks I think we're going to look at our team on paper and feel a lot better about it. Probably good enough to win 7-8 games if I had to guess.

And like Drinkwitz I think we're going to focus more on building through HS recruiting which is what we really need to do IMO.