Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bama getting hammered by the draft again

vCash

Bama getting hammered by the draft again

Calvin Ridley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Da'Ron Payne, Bo Scarbrough, and Ronnie Harrison all opting to go to the draft.

Question is will this ever matter? They are losing 5 guys early, 4 of which will for sure go first round. Bo is the only one I don't think goes day 1. But will this ever affect Bama? Currently 5th in the recruiting rankings, it looks like they will still get top talent, but maybe not finish with Top 3 talent. Is that going to matter next year?

I know they have a lot of talented youth, but at some point you have to think losing 12-15 juniors over the course of 3 years to the draft will affect them even with the talent they have coming back. The entire starting secondary will be gone. Evans is gone and two starting DL gone. So that's 7 starters on defense. Offense loses 2 OL and a couple WR's that weren't huge impact. But with a hard 25 signing now at some point you have to think that many losses will hurt.

So they are losing some valuable pieces, but I guess everyone thinking plug and chug again next year for them? No real competition in the west, especially since we have to travel there?

vCash
    They had 5 true freshman on offense making plays in the national title game. I don't think it matters at all. Scarbrough is no loss at all.

vCash
    Unfortunately no. I will miss some here but Rolando McClain was the best LB in the country who was replaced by Donte Hightower who was replaced by CJ Mosley who was replaced by Reggie Ragland who was replaced by Reuben Foster who was replaced by all those MFers that they had this year that got hurt.
    Wasn?t Ben Davis supposed to be the next one? Is he still around?

vCash
    Naw it doesnt matter, they just plug and play, at least until Saban leaves.

vCash
    Alabama is an NFL Farm Team. Players are just getting processed. Business as usual.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    They had 5 true freshman on offense making plays in the national title game. I don't think it matters at all. Scarbrough is no loss at all.
    They have the best QB they have had under saban. If there is a little drop in defense, it will not matter bc tua is gonna destroy the sec

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    They have the best QB they have had under saban. If there is a little drop in defense, it will not matter bc tua is gonna destroy the sec
    They did lose their entire starting secondary. I hope Piershbacher goes pro. That dude is a beast.

Hopefully, they sign Patrick Surtain, JR so we can sign Eddie Smith.

Banned
    vCash
    Yes, they will be hit. They will still be good but not national championship good. We will have our chance to beat them with our defensive line. Teams will also have plenty of tape on Tua by then.

vCash
    LSU losing a bunch also- with the guys declaring this year- makes 31 early departures the last 6 years. They had only 8 in the previous 6 before that
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    Yes, they will be hit. They will still be good but not national championship good. We will have our chance to beat them with our defensive line. Teams will also have plenty of tape on Tua by then.
    They’ll still be natty good.

Agree on Tua. 6’0” 212, doesn’t have Hurts speed, and isn’t an elite thrower.

He’s a good player and may make Bama’s offense more explosive, but I won’t be shocked if they also have more 3 and outs due to not being the runner Hurts is and also turn the ball over more due to airing it out more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Calvin Ridley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Da'Ron Payne, Bo Scarbrough, and Ronnie Harrison all opting to go to the draft.

Question is will this ever matter? They are losing 5 guys early, 4 of which will for sure go first round. Bo is the only one I don't think goes day 1. But will this ever affect Bama? Currently 5th in the recruiting rankings, it looks like they will still get top talent, but maybe not finish with Top 3 talent. Is that going to matter next year?

I know they have a lot of talented youth, but at some point you have to think losing 12-15 juniors over the course of 3 years to the draft will affect them even with the talent they have coming back. The entire starting secondary will be gone. Evans is gone and two starting DL gone. So that's 7 starters on defense. Offense loses 2 OL and a couple WR's that weren't huge impact. But with a hard 25 signing now at some point you have to think that many losses will hurt.

So they are losing some valuable pieces, but I guess everyone thinking plug and chug again next year for them? No real competition in the west, especially since we have to travel there?
    Save the 2ndary, Bammer will be fine. The huge amount of injuries we had this year should really help us out going forward.

The number of guys leaving (early) isn't a huge outlier...

Additionally the '18 slate is (apparently) easier than this year... If Saban can get some DBs to "do it right", it'll be (in 'Gun's words) boring, again...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    No.
    Last edited by TUSK; 01-11-2018 at 04:09 PM.

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Save the 2ndary, Bammer will be fine. The huge amount of injuries we had this year should really help us out going forward.

The number of guys leaving (early) isn't a huge outlier...

Additionally the '18 slate is (apparently) easier than this year... If Saban can get some DBs to "do it right", it'll be (in 'Gun's words) boring, again...
    Lather, rinse, repeat. New year, same results. Saban's just a freaking terminator. Can't kill him lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Unfortunately no. I will miss some here but Rolando McClain was the best LB in the country who was replaced by Donte Hightower who was replaced by CJ Mosley who was replaced by Reggie Ragland who was replaced by Reuben Foster who was replaced by all those MFers that they had this year that got hurt.
    Wasn?t Ben Davis supposed to be the next one? Is he still around?
    Hasn't even seen a play on STs as far as I can recall... word is he's "soft" or "doesn't get it"....

I don't expect him to be on the 2 deep next year, either...

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    LSU losing a bunch also- with the guys declaring this year- makes 31 early departures the last 6 years. They had only 8 in the previous 6 before that
    LSU is getting hurt more than Bammer, LSU looks to be backing up.

vCash
    Fitzpatrick and Payne are big loses . Both Top 5 nfl picks . Talent at least

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Minkah is a HUGE loss... we don't have anyone (right now) remotely as good as him (especially when you consider leadership)....

Payne will be a loss, as well, but we've guys that can take up some of that slack... Same with Ridley.

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    They lost 10 draft picks last year. 7 in the first two rounds.

Banned
    vCash
    They also were not as good as they were in 2015 and 2016.

vCash
    this is correct.. 4 in the 1st round, 3 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 1 in the 4th....

2017 was as close to a "rebuilding" year as I can recall...

This year (draft-wise) will be close to that, I think (I'm not an NFL Draft guy, though)...
    Last edited by TUSK; 01-11-2018 at 05:08 PM.

No.