Thread: New Deer Rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    What Basedog said...

The next time one of those ass clowns says that, tell him this: "The ability to shoot accurately and ethically is often inversely proportional to caliber"... drop the mic, then mix a drink...

A larger caliber mitigates poor marksmanship and adverse shooting conditions (high wind).

The "standard" accepted amount of energy to "knock down" a whitetail is 1000#... IMO, that's for a "poorly placed round"... As one's ability to put said round EXACTLY where they want, that number drops exponentially... I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a (static) deer at 250-300 yards (in no wind) with my 223 (500-600# at 250-300 yds).

Off the top of my head, my 270 round crosses the 1000# mark at about 600 yards, the 243 at about 400 yards... Additionally, as recoil decreases, accuracy increases for most people...

I used to broker hunting/fishing trips in the western hemisphere and I asked one of my outfitters (Colorado) about shooting Elk with 270... He laughed and said "That's plenty of gun. We ask our guests to bring 7 mags and 300s because we don't know if they can shoot, or not."

I am fortunate that I grew up in the woods and shot stuff all the time growing up, learned additional skills in the Corps and currently have my own rifle range in my "back yard"... I shoot a fair amount. I also zero weapons for a lot of people and teach a little bit... All of that shooting increases confidence, and "confidence" is the real "killer", imo.

Short answer: If you can shoot, ride that 243 pony until it flips over, tits up.

I love talkin' 'bout this shit... feel free to ask anything; if I can help, I will.
    ^ one hell of a post and hard to argue any of that. I'm a bowhunter these days, but actually broke out the ole .270 today and took it to the range. I might have to give it a whirl next weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    ^ one hell of a post and hard to argue any of that. I'm a bowhunter these days, but actually broke out the ole .270 today and took it to the range. I might have to give it a whirl next weekend.
    What round do you shoot, Speckle?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I picked up some 140gr Nosler ballistic tips today. I used to shoot cheap Winchester, but went with something maybe a little better this time.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 12-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I picked up some 140gr Nosler ballistic tips today. I used to shoot cheap Winchester, but went with something maybe a little better this time.
    I shot Fed Prem BT 130 gr when they first came out... I loved the trajectory...

One note: Make DAMN sure there's NOTHING in the bullets bath... IME, the round will fragment with any contact... I lost a deer once in low light when my round centered an unseen sapling limb...

I switched to Fed Prem GK BTSP, get the same ballistics and it's even more lethal (with less damage)...

I usually hunt with this zero: +2.75" @ 100, +3.4" @ 150, ZERO @ 270, -4.1" @ 325

Happy Slaying!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17