Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did UF overpay for Lateral Move?

vCash

Did UF overpay for Lateral Move?

I'd have to say yeah...and so does this article below from our Bama brethren. It shows (at our expense) how average he was during his tenure here.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2018/5/...-in-dan-mullen

Fully disclosure - he did lay a solid foundation and leave the cupboard somewhat stocked. I am still a bit salty with how he left, but "extremely wooly" that we have Moorhead who I think is more relatable to both the fanbase and players (on top of being extremely intelligent).

vCash
    Nevermind... I thought I had an opinion, but I dont.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 05-10-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    I'd have to say yeah...and so does this article below from our Bama brethren. It shows (at our expense) how average he was during his tenure here.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2018/5/...-in-dan-mullen

Fully disclosure - he did lay a solid foundation and leave the cupboard somewhat stocked. I am still a bit salty with how he left, but "extremely wooly" that we have Moorhead who I think is more relatable to both the fanbase and players (on top of being extremely intelligent).
    Absolutely they overpaid... But UF was desperate amid a coaching drought... They still coulda gottem for less than $6M, IMO...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Absolutely they overpaid... But UF was desperate amid a coaching drought... They still coulda gottem for less than $6M, IMO...
    Loafers panicked after Chip Kelley dropped them for UCLA.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Loafers panicked after Chip Kelley dropped them for UCLA.
    Loafers did what he was told to do.

vCash
    That article just laid out what MSU fans have known for years. That is, Mullen's teams very rarely upset teams they are underdogs to and very rarely are upset by teams they are favorites against. Given what we had experienced before Mullen showed up with the last 3 years of Sherrill and the Croom years we were more than happy with that result because it was good enough to get us to a minor bowl. I mean in 9 years we only had a winning SEC record with Mullen once. And in the few years we had something special going like 2014 and last year we ended poorly so it took some of the shine away. Dak's senior year and last year were really wasted by Mullen whoring himself out to other schools rather than preparing for the Egg Bowl. Anyway, we were satisfied with pretty good because prior to Mullen we experienced possibly our worst 10 year stretch ever. I don't think Florida will be satisfied with anything less than double digit football victories EVERY year. The only thing that might give Mullen a fighting chance to do something close to that is playing in a weak SEC East (at least for now). Just not sure his staff will recruit at a high enough level to sustain it though if the East improves.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 05-10-2018 at 07:58 PM.

vCash
    Like I have said before, he built a program from the Sylvester "Doom" debacle that could beat the teams we were supposed to beat, (more than you could say about some of our coaches in the 55 years I have been going to our games). Seldom ever beat the "big boys" and never bama. He also never had a strong finish in any season as the job search was always on after his annual bama loss. Let us down several games against UNM. I'm a 63 year old hardcore Dawg and Jackie is still the only MSU coach to get us to a SEC Championship game in my lifetime. Dan never got close. Win 4 OOC games, KY, another weak East team, Arky, and UNM every once in a while and there it is: a seven to eight game winning season. He had reached his ceiling with MSU. I predict a better product with a higher ceiling with Jo. The bama article is right on target. 7 to 8 victories with none over FSU, bama, Ga, etc. won't keep him and his country club in Fl more than 3 years. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 05-10-2018 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    I'm stunned at how many folks think Mullen is going to turn that program into a consistent contender. Mullen proved something at MSU. We were capable of being way better than we were by making some big changes. Stadium expansion, raising expectations, recruiting a little better, develops talent better.

Florida already has all of that. They need a coach that can win big games. In 9 years I would be able to count 5-6 big games we won. And our record against ranked opponents was abysmal. They severely overpaid and I think Mullen has 8-5 to 10-2 written all over him. And in 7 years when they've been to one conference championship and never come close to sniffing a national championship, they are going to be really pissed.

vCash
    Im confused, what year was the third victory over LSU?

vCash
    They paid big money for a coach that sucks his balls up his ass in big games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    Im confused, what year was the third victory over LSU?
    '14 and '17 were the only years I remember beating LSU

Hard to fault Bama fans for making that mistakes. Math isn't their strong suit, as they can't count their Nattys correctly either...***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I'm stunned at how many folks think Mullen is going to turn that program into a consistent contender. Mullen proved something at MSU. We were capable of being way better than we were by making some big changes. Stadium expansion, raising expectations, recruiting a little better, develops talent better.

Florida already has all of that. They need a coach that can win big games. In 9 years I would be able to count 5-6 big games we won. And our record against ranked opponents was abysmal. They severely overpaid and I think Mullen has 8-5 to 10-2 written all over him. And in 7 years when they've been to one conference championship and never come close to sniffing a national championship, they are going to be really pissed.
    I think UF lags in the facilities category (which includes The Swamp), but they seem to be addressing those. From some of you on here "in the know" - I'm honestly wondering if they think Lateral can recruit at a level to turn the program around? I don't think he wins enough to satisfy the fanbase though, so it may be a mute point.

I see no reason why Moorhead won't be successful, as Mullen has proven that just winning the games you're supposed will get you "success". I'm stumped at why all of what you mentioned regarding the elevation of the ancillary factors that go into a program aren't factored in when discussing the rise of our program.

I credit The Ninja for where we are today within our football program over what Mullen accomplished. I also give Stricklin credit for his marketing ability.

Banned
    vCash
    Article said he never took MSU to a New Years 6 game. I thought our Orange Bowl loss to GaTech was New Years Day 6 game?

vCash
    I think UF lags in the facilities category (which includes The Swamp), but they seem to be addressing those. From some of you on here "in the know" - I'm honestly wondering if they think Lateral can recruit at a level to turn the program around? I don't think he wins enough to satisfy the fanbase though, so it may be a mute point.
    Recruiting and winning are the chicken and egg question with a definite answer. In this case, we know he can?t recruit at a level consistently enough to compete with the top ten programs in the country, whom ever they may be at the time. So, you?re correct, he won?t win enough and it will be because of his recruiting. Go take a look at his current class versus FSU.

vCash
    '14 and '17 were the only years I remember beating LSU

Hard to fault Bama fans for making that mistakes. Math isn't their strong suit, as they can't count their Nattys correctly either...***
    8 hundred and eleventy four dozen.... pair...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    Article said he never took MSU to a New Years 6 game. I thought our Orange Bowl loss to GaTech was New Years Day 6 game?
    Says he never won one, so they're not acknowledging reaching the Orange Bowl to help their case.

Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    8 hundred and eleventy four dozen.... pair...
    Need to spread some rep. around, but that's funny!

vCash
    Mullen is a smart dude with an eye for overlooked talent that helped a historically dismal program become competitive in a tough league. Credit where credit due.

What will hold him back from being elite in college is being an awkward personality that doesn?t translate to quality recruiting and an arrogance that thinks his intelligence will help compensate for that.

I think he?s made an excuse for himself to date being in the same division as Saban. He?s fleeing that in hopes of winning an easier division. Unfortunately for him, Smart is progress of building Bama 2.0 in that division so he will be run out of town in 3-4 years after UGA owns that side of the league. Mullen could be twice the coach that Smart is in the Xs and Os department but he?s not going to compete with him unless he?s putting together consistent top 10 classes. Time will fell but I don?t see it happening. His max should be second place in east and that won?t keep him around long there.

My guess is he?s fired after the 2020 season and he gives the NFL a shot afterwards. I think he could succeed there as an OC (no clue how possible) where he can focus on drawing up plays, gsmeplans, and working with QBs. Then hopefully he writes that book where he finally tells the Cam Newton story...
    Last edited by ckDOG; 05-10-2018 at 11:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ckDOG View Post
    Mullen is a smart dude with an eye for overlooked talent that helped a historically dismal program become competitive in a tough league. Credit where credit due.

What will hold him back from being elite in college is being an awkward personality that doesn?t translate to quality recruiting and an arrogance that thinks his intelligence will help compensate for that.

I think he?s made an excuse for himself to date being in the same division as Saban. He?s fleeing that in hopes of winning an easier division. Unfortunately for him, Smart is progress of building Bama 2.0 in that division so he will be run out of town in 3-4 years after UGA owns that side of the league. Mullen could be twice the coach that Smart is in the Xs and Os department but he?s not going to compete with him unless he?s putting together consistent top 10 classes. Time will fell but I don?t see it happening. His max should be second place in east and that won?t keep him around long there.

My guess is he?s fired after the 2020 season and he gives the NFL a shot afterwards. I think he could succeed there as an OC (no clue how possible) where he can focus on drawing up plays, gsmeplans, and working with QBs. Then hopefully he writes that book where he finally tells the Cam Newton story...
    I agree. But I would also add that I think Florida State and Miami will outrecruit them and FSU will probably beat them on the field. That in addition to losing to Georgia will probably be his undoing.

I could see Urban Meyer coming to his rescue and making him an OC though. I'm not sure that Dan is creative or aggressive enough to be an OC on the NFL level especially where the talent gap isn't that great between the best team and the worst.

vCash
    Basically what Dan did that most coaches that we have had couldn't do is beat people we were supposed to consistently. If he had won big games at the same clip that Jackie did he would be our best coach ever. And to be honest, I think Dan's poor recruiting really reared it's ugly head when we played ranked teams. Anyone remember Alabama 2015 when we tried to run Holloway up the gut on the goal line? Yeah- that didn't work.

Hopefully Joe will be a combination of Dan winning the games we're supposed to and Jackie winning the big ones.

I do think that some of our fans give Dan way too much credit as a coach and gave him way too much of a pass for things like recruiting and poor Egg Bowl performances.

vCash
    I think you guys are nuts to think Florida will run Mullen off in 3 or 4 years. That lacks any basis.

Mullen is a really good football coach and extremely talented at building a solid foundation.

I predict a Mark Richt/ UGA type tenure for Mullen in which he sticks around for 8-10 years and never wins anything. He'll be just successful enough though to keep his job.