Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Are we gonna have SB game thread?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Joe had the greatest receiver in NFL history and John Taylor. Brady has 2 shrimps and one goofy tight end.
    Only for 2 SBs. Still take Joe. He did it at ND in college too. Came real close to doing it with KC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Or maybe some people have an actual rational reason for it?

It's really hard to argue with 4-0 when you are 5-3 and losing to Eli Manning and the Eagles back up QB. Not to mention Brady is a lot closer to being 3-5 than Montana was to ever losing a game.
    The afc was horrible during Montana career. The afc won 1 super bowl during Montana career

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The afc was horrible during Montana career. The afc won 1 super bowl during Montana career
    Yea ... but the Giant and Bears weren't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Only for 2 SBs. Still take Joe. He did it at ND in college too. Came real close to doing it with KC.
    I agree. And I don't think it's "hate for Brady"- at least for me it isn't. I think it's a lot of people have forgotten just how good Joe Montana was. The guy pretty much took playing QB/football/and the West Coast Offense and made it into an art form almost. He changed the game. I think Brady is close- he's second for me- but it's just not quite at the level of Montana. Joe could make incredible plays running the ball and he could drill it into extremely tight windows. And he did it in a mostly base personnel two WR/one TE/two RB system. It would be absolutely scary how good he would be in a pass first spread system with RPO's built into it because of his mobility and decision making.

vCash
    Or maybe some people have an actual rational reason for it?

It's really hard to argue with 4-0 when you are 5-3 and losing to Eli Manning and the Eagles back up QB. Not to mention Brady is a lot closer to being 3-5 than Montana was to ever losing a game.
    Yeah, Brady should have tanked those 3 AFC title games, then he could be 5-0 and win your comparison.**

I'll take the guy who, in 16 seasons as a starter, made the playoffs 94% of the time, played in the AFC title game 75% of the time, played in the Super Bowl 50% of the time, and won the Super Bowl 31% of the time.

To be fair, Montana is great on those percentages too (82%, 55%, 36%, 36%). But I don't think Super Bowl won/loss record is a very good way to evaluate a team unless you also throw in years they missed the Super Bowl altogether.

ETA - Those Montana percentages are for his time on the 49ers only, not including 1979, 1991, or 1992. Add in the Chiefs and you get (84%, 54%, 31%, 31%). Brady's number's don't include 2000 or 2008.
    Last edited by Quaoarsking; 02-04-2018 at 11:34 PM.

vCash
    I agree. And I don't think it's "hate for Brady"- at least for me it isn't. I think it's a lot of people have forgotten just how good Joe Montana was. The guy pretty much took playing QB/football/and the West Coast Offense and made it into an art form almost. He changed the game. I think Brady is close- he's second for me- but it's just not quite at the level of Montana. Joe could make incredible plays running the ball and he could drill it into extremely tight windows. And he did it in a mostly base personnel two WR/one TE/two RB system. It would be absolutely scary how good he would be in a pass first spread system with RPO's built into it because of his mobility and decision making.
    Worked his way up from 7th on the depth chart at ND to do it.

vCash
    17 point loss in afc title game is not close to a super bowl win. Cowboys beat the bills by 17 too

vCash
    Well you guys are using super bowl win % as factor of who was better. NFC in super bowl was a given...

vCash
    17 point loss in afc title game is not close to a super bowl win. Cowboys beat the bills by 17 too
    He got knocked out with a concussion. It's why he retired.

vCash
    He got knocked out with a concussion. It's why he retired.

He played the next year

vCash
    He played the next year
    You're right. But he did get knocked out with concussion. And he retired because of concussions.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 02-04-2018 at 11:41 PM.

vCash
    And the Redskins.

And those terrible AFC teams that Joe beat were led by: Ken Anderson (a borderline HOF QB who probably will get in one day), DAN MARINO during a season where he threw 50 TD passes, Boomer Esiason (the weakest of the group but it was his best year), and JOHN ELWAY.

I'm not sure if the AFC teams were really that bad or if the NFC teams were that elite.

And I don't recall any of those teams starting their back-up QB. Or Joe losing to Eli ****ing Manning. Kevin Fant has a better record against Eli than Brady. And then you have who? Jake Delhomme? Donovan McNabb was about Esiason level. I'll certainly give Brady credit for Kurt Warner, Matt Ryan, and Russell Wilson. And we'll see how Ryan and Wilson fare down the road- but that group is hardly Elway/Marino-esque.

vCash
    No he didn't
    93 lost in afc championship game to bills
    94 lost to dolphins in wildcard

http://www.nfl.com/player/joemontana...66/careerstats

vCash
    Well you guys are using super bowl win % as factor of who was better. NFC in super bowl was a given...
    How so? They both had to play the game. Any of those great NFC powers could have gotten upset- like Brady did THREE times.

vCash
    Just think if Montana had beaten the bills in 1993 and lost to the cowboys, he would not have been the GOAT*^

vCash
    I agree. I'll take Joe any day.

vCash
    Just think if Montana had beaten the bills in 1993 and lost to the cowboys, he would not have been the GOAT*^
    Montana wasn't Kelly. He wouldn't have lost.

vCash
    Well, it didn't happen that way. If if's and's or but's are candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

vCash
    Montana wasn't Kelly. He wouldn't have lost.
    Yeah, he would. The cowboys would have beat the afc pro bowl team (kinda kidding, kinda not)

vCash
    Yeah, he would. The cowboys would have beat the afc pro bowl team (kinda kidding, kinda not)
    Cowboys were an average NFC champion at best.