Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Venice closing in Starkville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    N
    Cappe's is re-opening at the same location after the fire they had, super steaks there.
    Decent, not super.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    I dont agree about the service, but a bonefish grill would be exquisite
    Bonefish apparently needs a pretty large, affluent population to make it. I think the only one left in Mississippi is in Madison. I guess their margins are just small because for a chain, I always thought Bonefish was really good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Well then I guess you should have opened your own place there and beaten them to the punch. I like variety as much as the next guy, but the thing downtown Starkville needs most is a place that can stay open and attract a crowd consistently. Moe's has the clout to do just that as they have been very successful at every location they have opened (similar to Mugshots in that regard). After about a 10 year resurgence, downtown has been dying a slow death with the closing of the bar above Restaurant Tyler, closing of two different restaurants in the old State Theater, the neutering of Mugshots to where they don't stay open past 10, and now the closing of Old Venice. Good, stable businesses are what downtown needs to attract other good, stable businesses.
    So what is left downtown? No State Theatre, Mugshots no longer offering a bar atmosphere, and nothing above Restaurant Tyler? (Or is it just a restaurant now? Last I went I think it was a gyro place).

Is it just the beer garden and the speakeasy?

vCash
    Wassons is now the Mayhew Junction Brewery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    So what is left downtown? No State Theatre, Mugshots no longer offering a bar atmosphere, and nothing above Restaurant Tyler? (Or is it just a restaurant now? Last I went I think it was a gyro place).

Is it just the beer garden and the speakeasy?
    Pita Pit if you want to count it. Strombolis on the other end of University, too.

vCash
    Bonefish apparently needs a pretty large, affluent population to make it. I think the only one left in Mississippi is in Madison. I guess their margins are just small because for a chain, I always thought Bonefish was really good.
    To be clear Starkville needs a locally owned place like a Bonefish. Not the actual chain itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Pita Pit if you want to count it. Strombolis on the other end of University, too.
    Love Pita Pit.

vCash
    Two Brother's and Petty's are the best BBQ in town.

The Bin is the bin.

We have a Salsarita's which is B level Chiptole.

And for fine dining, you guys have covered all the basics; but have failed to mention the Guest Room. It is simply amazing.

vCash
    I'm upset they are a closing. I spent many a night in there drinking well whiskey and not talking to women

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    Two Brother's and Petty's are the best BBQ in town.

The Bin is the bin.

We have a Salsarita's which is B level Chiptole.

And for fine dining, you guys have covered all the basics; but have failed to mention the Guest Room. It is simply amazing.
    I didn't even know about Two Brothers.

vCash
    I was more upset about Bulldog Deli becoming Bulldog Burgers. I mean, it was good but I didn't expect to spend $20 on lunch.

It's been awhile since I've been back to downtown Starkville on business.

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    It's tucked away in the Cotton District next to Commodore Bob's in the old Jean's Cafe location (which is now in the old Waffle House by the highlands). I believe it's run by a pair of alumni brothers, one cooks and the other manages. Staff is young but they seem to take a lot of pride in their service. They don't do much advertising other than social media, so there's typically a younger crowd, but it's a great atmosphere and I've never had a bad experience. Parking is a hassle in the Cotton District, but it's worth it to support local business. They have really good meat, a great selection of alcohol, and the best brisket sandwich I've ever had (although not a regular menu item).

vCash
    If the Starkville location is like the Auburn location, Moe's BBQ will do really well.

vCash
    There was one on the coast. And all restaurants margins are incredibly small. That's why it's one of the most volatile businesses there is. The reason most mid to high level chains don't do Starkville is because of the studies they do. Starkvilld has the population but a lot of that is student or university employed which means there isn't a ton of money folks. They want X amount of people over a medium household income.

Now in a college town that's a little misleading because there are a lot of unemployed students who spend s bunch of money. i think a good blue plate restaurant would crush. Or a small plate concept. When you look at the square in Oxford, it's not chains. It's locally owned places where the owners are OM folks who are invested in the community.

vCash
    Across street from the Bin in one of those two story bldg's. I guess it's next to Commodore Bob's too. Still need to check those places out when I'm up there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    There was one on the coast. And all restaurants margins are incredibly small. That's why it's one of the most volatile businesses there is. The reason most mid to high level chains don't do Starkville is because of the studies they do. Starkvilld has the population but a lot of that is student or university employed which means there isn't a ton of money folks. They want X amount of people over a medium household income.

Now in a college town that's a little misleading because there are a lot of unemployed students who spend s bunch of money. i think a good blue plate restaurant would crush. Or a small plate concept. When you look at the square in Oxford, it's not chains. It's locally owned places where the owners are OM folks who are invested in the community.
    I've wondered lately how Columbus has gotten all these big time chains in lately while Starkville missed out. I'm really surprised that the old Wasson's Fish House building has been vacant all these years. To me that would be a prime location for a place to go in like a Golden Corral or something.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post
    It's tucked away in the Cotton District next to Commodore Bob's in the old Jean's Cafe location (which is now in the old Waffle House by the highlands). I believe it's run by a pair of alumni brothers, one cooks and the other manages. Staff is young but they seem to take a lot of pride in their service. They don't do much advertising other than social media, so there's typically a younger crowd, but it's a great atmosphere and I've never had a bad experience. Parking is a hassle in the Cotton District, but it's worth it to support local business. They have really good meat, a great selection of alcohol, and the best brisket sandwich I've ever had (although not a regular menu item).
    I've heard that Two Brothers is solid. I just hope they stay open. Anywhere in that area is difficult because the rent is outrageous. Every single location in those new developments has turned over ownership at least 3 or 4 times. Those two bars across from the bin that are both about the size of my kitchen turn over to new owners pretty much every football season. Bin 612 is the only one that has been stable.

vCash
    i wish someone would purchase the lot across from the bin and make it a local eating spot with music, good food, maybe a back patio with a couple cornhole games set up. Feel like that location would kill it, plus it could be a good size instead of something like two brothers or sushi martini.

I don't think the woman is interested in selling the lot though

vCash
    I've wondered lately how Columbus has gotten all these big time chains in lately while Starkville missed out. I'm really surprised that the old Wasson's Fish House building has been vacant all these years. To me that would be a prime location for a place to go in like a Golden Corral or something.
    The Wassons building's biggest issue was parking. I have no idea how they didn't make it. A fish house that serves a few other items like a steak or ribs should crank in Starkville. And I mean good catfish. Not some cheap buffet nonsense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post

Two Brothers has some really good BBQ dishes, especially when they have brisket on the menu. You can sit down there, and I'd go there way before Dickey's. And I like Dickey's a lot.
    I forgot about 2 brothers. Their smoked wings are outstanding. It's certainly not your typical bbq joint though.
    Tried to go there yesterday actually, but they aren't open for lunch, or are only open for lunch certain days.
    Leicester Till I Die