Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
I think at least some of Dan's perceived success has to do with the rise of the power 5 conferences. See USM- in 1980 they beat one of our best teams ever 42-14. As recent as 1990 we beat them 13-10 on a last second field goal. Fast forward to 2014- we beat them down 49-0 and it should have been 63-0. Then the next year we beat them in Hattiesburg something like 34-17 with Dak not being able to run and I believe USM won their division that year. Then you have the fact that you have the 12th game which is essentially a gimmie against a FCS team and it's easier to make a bowl than ever- a 5-7 team making a bowl was unheard of in years past.

Then the reality is Dan only had one winning SEC season and it clearly shows that he raised the floor but not the ceiling. And I think a lot of average coaches could have done what Dan did at MSU in the same era.
The reality is we haven't had that many winning seasons in that short a span since the 40s. It doesn't fit your narrative but it's the truth. I'm greatful to Mullen for several things I thought I'd never see. That being said he is gone. He has moved on. I've moved on. It's time we all did.

Another thing: If JoMo is successful the rumors will start almost immediately. I hope they do!