Thread: Memphis Game Thread (anybody care?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Absolutely! And an elite pitching coach.

In a perfect world you would have:

1. An elite pitching coach that is like a Derek Johnson who was at Vandy before going to MLB.
    2. A coach with big time scouting connections.
    3. A coach that can evaluate and project talent well.

Number three is a quality that could apply to 1 and 2 since we're only allowed to put two assistants on the road at any time.

Our head coach needs to be someone that has a good knowledge of advanced analytics and also has good baseball intuition.
    My big thing is a great hitting coach. I'm tired of this Punch and Judy garbage. How about some power!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    My big thing is a great hitting coach. I'm tired of this Punch and Judy garbage. How about some power!
    Dan Heefner baby. He is an awesome hitting coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    I agree and that's where the scouting connections and also probably more relevantly the being able to project and develop part comes in. It's also where not having half of your lineup being freshmen comes in. It's where S&C come in as well.

Hitting is probably the most difficult thing to do in the world and if you don't have the talent to hit well it probably won't matter much if Ted Williams is your hitting coach. You're still not going to be able to hit well. And if you are not able to generate enough bat speed it also won't matter either.

I think it really comes down to God given talent more than anything because really aside from that there is only so much anyone can do to help someone reach their God given ceiling and it starts to become almost more about trouble shooting and looking for tendencies than anything.