Thread: Wow- this is greatness. Please claim who did this

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

It's very unique situation when your program was run by neanderthals for 80 years
    What allowed this to happen for so long? Seriously?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    What allowed this to happen for so long? Seriously?
    The main difference is $$$$$$. It also helps that we have a MSU man that bleeds maroon in the President's office. The old IHL dominated by the folks up the road fought tooth and nail for a long time to keep that from happening. Ending their domination there helped every institution in the state, including Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The main difference is $$$$$$. It also helps that we have a MSU man that bleeds maroon in the President's office. The old IHL dominated by the folks up the road fought tooth and nail for a long time to keep that from happening. Ending their domination there helped every institution in the state, including Ole Miss.
    This is a good answer.

To add, I also think things lasted so long simply because no one knew any different & accepted the excuses of MSU being an outpost in a small town, with a small stadium, is never on tv, etc.

Now you look up & see that MSU is able to build a top 25 college football program with 3 9 win seasons over our last 4 years, & 8 straight bowl games, on the backs of a roster in which the average player is from only 170 miles away from Starkville & it's very reasonable to ask: "Why the hell was this so hard?" Not saying MSU should be a national championship contender or a blue blood, but, with that much local talent, how did MSU manage to mostly suck at football for 100 years?

Never forget that we are the school that didn't recruit Walter Payton, Steve McNair, Brett Favre, & had Jerry Rice living in Starkville & didn't recruit him. It's mindbogglingly ridiculous that happened & I just can't imagine it happening any longer.

Again, it's mind boggling & now that we've tasted sustained success & understand how it happened, I can't imagine we ever go back to anything close to the LT days.

This chart is fascinating to me & makes me wonder how we didn't accidentally become good at football.

Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 11-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.