Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OL draft picks since 2012 out of the SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Oline isn't the only thing holding us back from bama
    It may not be the only thing but it is the most glaring factor. I don't see how you can watch us get pushed around by a 2nd team USA d-line and still say that O-line is not the biggest problem with our football team

vCash
    Good call on fisher... yikes, how'd i forget him. I just really dislike McE and smart for no good reason tbh
    I'm somewhat aware of this. And Dan seems to be the man to you lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I'm somewhat aware of this. And Dan seems to be the man to you lol.
    I like dan. If you give dan McE's team, dan would be much more successful imo

vCash
    I like dan. If you give dan McE's team, dan would be much more successful imo
    So you think Dan would've not only won the east but beat Saban too?? I just ain't seeing it. McE's teams have been pretty decimated with injuries, especially last year's team.

Your opinion of Dan is much higher than mine. Dan has some really good qualities, but he real stubborn on correcting his flaws. I'm hoping we are starting to see some movement on those tho if he does indeed hand over D responsibilities to Grantham, and then get his O inside top 20 - 30 every year. We'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    So you think Dan would've not only won the east but beat Saban too?? I just ain't seeing it. McE's teams have been pretty decimated with injuries, especially last year's team.

Your opinion of Dan is much higher than mine. Dan has some really good qualities, but he real stubborn on correcting his flaws. I'm hoping we are starting to see some movement on those tho if he does indeed hand over D responsibilities to Grantham, and then get his O inside top 20 - 30 every year. We'll see.
    Let's see how McE does this season. Boom left him the 2nd best defensive talent in the sec... maybe the country. A lot of those guys are gone now and Florida has won with that defense. Remember boom got a bcs bowl early

vCash
    Let's see how McE does this season. Boom left him the 2nd best defensive talent in the sec... maybe the country. A lot of those guys are gone now and Florida has won with that defense. Remember boom got a bcs bowl early
    Fla returns 10 starters on offense. They will be improved there. They do have some defensive holes to fill for sure tho

vCash

A few notes re: this topic

1. Our OL recruiting has picked up some (it had a long ass way to go), but is still obviously lacking. I like the potential of this line, but it's all wait and see. I'm in total agreement that Hev needs to recruit better at his position. I think Mullen has made strides to do that.

2. If we're talking OFFENSIVE production over this timespan 12-16 (RP mentioned a lot of those TEAM achievements, but the OL is only able to correlate to Offensive play), State has been dead in the middle of the pack in that timeframe-ahead of every team in the East. Bama is clearly the class averaging an Offensive S&P+ of 10.8, A&M second at 20.8, and everyone else is bunched in the West from 26th (OM) to 32nd (State). Then there is a huge gap to the East teams-UGA/USCe/UTk-that average finished in the mid 40's.

3. In showing that, there's not a linear correlation between offensive line draft picks and OFFENSIVE success (although it's a small sample size of 14 teams). Now, we are last in our own division over that time span, but the difference between 3rd in the division and last is only ~2 points/game.

4. UGA and UF have a load of OL talent and picks in that time frame, but State has had (on average) far superior offenses to both of them, using the S&P+ (and probably most other) advanced metrics.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipedream View Post
    1. Our OL recruiting has picked up some (it had a long ass way to go), but is still obviously lacking. I like the potential of this line, but it's all wait and see. I'm in total agreement that Hev needs to recruit better at his position. I think Mullen has made strides to do that.

2. If we're talking OFFENSIVE production over this timespan 12-16 (RP mentioned a lot of those TEAM achievements, but the OL is only able to correlate to Offensive play), State has been dead in the middle of the pack in that timeframe-ahead of every team in the East. Bama is clearly the class averaging an Offensive S&P+ of 10.8, A&M second at 20.8, and everyone else is bunched in the West from 26th (OM) to 32nd (State). Then there is a huge gap to the East teams-UGA/USCe/UTk-that average finished in the mid 40's.

3. In showing that, there's not a linear correlation between offensive line draft picks and OFFENSIVE success (although it's a small sample size of 14 teams). Now, we are last in our own division over that time span, but the difference between 3rd in the division and last is only ~2 points/game.

4. UGA and UF have a load of OL talent and picks in that time frame, but State has had (on average) far superior offenses to both of them, using the S&P+ (and probably most other) advanced metrics.
    How dare you bring logical data to this pitchfork party.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    How dare you bring logical data to this pitchfork party.
    Thats actually not that logical

Doesnt take into account the different schedules and what not. We are the only one of the group that doesnt play a P5 team OOC each year- plus we usually play the weakest East teams most years. We have been very fortunate with our schedules

Tenn in 2012 when they went 5-7
    Vandy in 2014 when they were awful
    Missouri in 2015 when they were awful
    SC in 2016 in Boom's 1st year and early in the season before they vastly improved with a new QB

Kentucky has been a turd until 2016 and when they finally improved- they beat us

vCash
    Jenkins, Calhoun, Rankin, are legit SEC OL. Everywhere else I am concerned. We will be good enough to win 8, 10 or more every now and then with senior laden OLs but till we get better on the OL thats where we will be

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

Doesnt take into account the different schedules and what not. We are the only one of the group that doesnt play a P5 team OOC each year- plus we usually play the weakest East teams most years. We have been very fortunate with our schedules

SC in 2016 in Boom's 1st year and early in the season before they vastly improved with a new QB

Kentucky has been a turd until 2016 and when they finally improved- they beat us
    Haha....what? Our schedule was still way stronger than every East team, including UF and UGA who as the OP mentioned have brought in way more OL talent. 6 SEC West Teams >>>> 6 East teams plus a P5 OOC every day of the damn week, especially the last 5 years.

vCash
    I don't disagree at all those teams have had better OL and have done more than us. We have to get more from OL, more than any other position (traditionally). However, I would venture that AL, AU, GA, FL, LSU have had more of every position put in the NFL. If we had an NFL draftable kicker last year, we would have had a hell of a season too, considering the D was so bad. To be great, it takes a well rounded team.

vCash
    Alabama- 7 - cream of the SEC
    Texas A&M- 5- one of the SEC's best offenses every season
    Florida- 5- 2 SEC East titles
    South Carolina- 5- won 11 games 3 straight seasons
    Georgia- 4- won East twice and contends
    Missouri- 4- won East twice
    LSU- 3- won in spite of Miles
    Auburn- 3- won SEC title and played for NC, also played in Sugar...but SEC's most psycho team

clear divide in results in the SEC

Tenn- 3
    Ole Miss- 3
    UPig- 2
    State- 1 (Croom recruit)
    Vandy- 1 (and supposed to have another this April)
    Kentucky- 1

UPig and Vandy have draft picks this April...State and Kentucky hoping to add to their 1 this April- State is holding out hope Justin Senior gets drafted in the late rounds.

The more successful teams in the SEC coincidentally have the most OL guys drafted. Sure there are other factors- but the SEC is a LOS league. You have got to have OL talent to match the amazing amount of DL talent.
    Stopped reading at "in spite of Miles", Knowing this thread is a big, fat troll.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash

S&P+ is opponent adjusted FYI.

vCash
    Another thing I'd like to mention is that I don't think our offense (nor offensive line) has been our inhibiting factor the last 2 years. It's been our defense. I think it was a combo of OL not being able to move the elite DL's + our D at the end of 14 that did us in. But since then our defense has killed us. From 14-16 in SEC games only, we are scoring on average ~5 points more than the league average (pretty good). Conversely, our D has given up ~3 points more per game than the league average. So, if we had league average defenses in 15 & 16 you're looking at wins vs LSU at home in 15 (lost by 2) to go 9-3, maybe LSU on the road in 16, Kentucky on the road, (and OOC-S. AL & BYU) to go either 8-4 or 9-3 in 16. We score plenty and produce plenty enough to win 4 or more SEC games in that timespan. Our D has killed us.

vCash
    Another thing I'd like to mention is that I don't think our offense (nor offensive line) has been our inhibiting factor the last 2 years. It's been our defense. I think it was a combo of OL not being able to move the elite DL's + our D at the end of 14 that did us in. But since then our defense has killed us. From 14-16 in SEC games only, we are scoring on average ~5 points more than the league average (pretty good). Conversely, our D has given up ~3 points more per game than the league average. So, if we had league average defenses in 15 & 16 you're looking at wins vs LSU at home in 15 (lost by 2) to go 9-3, maybe LSU on the road in 16, Kentucky on the road, (and OOC-S. AL & BYU) to go either 8-4 or 9-3 in 16. We score plenty and produce plenty enough to win 4 or more SEC games in that timespan. Our D has killed us.
    In 6 SEC games vs the top 3 in the SEC West in 2015 and 2016 we have scored 12 points TOTAL in the first half of those games. TOTAL. Thats 12 points in 3 complete games of football- causing us to be down by double digits at halftime of all 6 games.

That's an offensive problem no matter how you spin it

vCash
    In 6 SEC games vs the top 3 in the SEC West in 2015 and 2016 we have scored 12 points TOTAL in the first half of those games. TOTAL. Thats 12 points in 3 complete games of football- causing us to be down by double digits at halftime of all 6 games.

That's an offensive problem no matter how you spin it
    I'm not "spinning" anything. Just stating statistical truths. As are you. However, you're picking such a small, miniscule portion of data to skew the results. You're honing in on 19% of our SEC games in the last 2 years. I'm talking about the results in their totality. Which one do you think has more accuracy?

vCash
    I'm not "spinning" anything. Just stating statistical truths. As are you. However, you're picking such a small, miniscule portion of data to skew the results. You're honing in on 19% of our SEC games in the last 2 years. I'm talking about the results in their totality. Which one do you think has more accuracy?
    Mine obviously

Our lack of OL talent does not allow us to win big SEC games. We have scored 12 total points in the 1st halves of those 6 games. Double digit deficit at halftime of all 6. You dont need stats for that- its common sense that you simply arent competing in those games offensively and they are basically over by halftime

Just because we run over shitty defenses in other games doesnt mean our offense is good.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Look the ****ing OL is shit, has been shit, and will continue to be shit as long as the paycheck robber is on staff. He sucks at recruiting and isn't that great of a coach. Easily expendable and replaceable but won't ever happen. So until then enjoy having about 3 OL every year that might all be ready by game 1. With no noticeable depth behind them.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Mine obviously

Our lack of OL talent does not allow us to win big SEC games. We have scored 12 total points in the 1st halves of those 6 games. Double digit deficit at halftime of all 6. You dont need stats for that- its common sense that you simply arent competing in those games offensively and they are basically over by halftime

Just because we run over shitty defenses in other games doesnt mean our offense is good.
    We beat Texas A&M last season when they were #4 in the country and in the playoff. Does that not count as a big game ? What you are actually saying is that we don't beat Bama. I have news for you. hardly anyone ever does. I think this argument has a lot to do with how Ole Miss has performed against them in the last 3 years, but honestly without a fluke deflection off of a helmet for a TD, Ole Miss is likely 1-2. Take a deep breath