Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious football question about Joe Moorhead.......

vCash

Serious football question about Joe Moorhead.......

I have mixed feelings don't know if this is a good hire or not time will tell but here is the question.

With all we have coming back Moorhead gets a loaded team what is your true expectations wins and losses next season? And if State goes say 8-5 or 9-4 will you feel that Moorhead has totally under achieved. My personal feelings are anything under 10-2 regular season is a bust 8-5 and we made a wrong hire. And we better not have a major drop off on defense. To me this season will define him as a head coach simply for the fact he was gift wrapped the best team we have had in years.

vCash
    I was going to say the floor is 9-3 before Dan left. Since we have a new staff I'll lower it to 8-4 since we don't know what to expect. But I think we're at least 8-4 and probably get to 9+ wins if everyone adjusts well.

vCash
    I think he will kick ass to start. For sure. I worry more about 3-4 years from now when we have 40 wrs on scholarship and no linemen.

vCash
    2018 is a 10 win team at worst
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I think based on what we have coming back and the schedule...

I'm going 8-4 as the floor and 12-0 as the ceiling with 9-3 or 10-2 as a reasonable expectation.

We have a veteran team with a senior QB, RB, C, and our MLB will be a RS Jr. or RS So. and two Sr safeties. A lot of experience plus we addressed our most glaring need in the offseason at WR. For me it's more about the players we have coming back than it is Moorhead. I also think our team is hungry to make amends for last season which while good certainly also had some disappointments as well.

Moorhead has some head coaching experience so that will help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Regular season?

vCash
    Just cant go 8-4 with the kind of team we have in 2018. It will be the best one of my lifetime- and thats getting close to half a century.

Top 5 DL in the Country with depth
    Top 10 OL in the Country with depth
    2 QB's
    Good RB's
    Good LB's
    Good Safeteys
    More talent at WR
    CB questions to answer.

Our 2018 team is Auburn 2017. Great in the trenches and good enough at the rest to compete for the SEC title

Only game we wont be favored in 2018 is at Bama.

vCash
    So best team in MSU history or it is a bust?

vCash
    I think it's the best team we have had offense and defense with a good kicker in my history with state since 1968.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    So best team in MSU history or it is a bust?
    WE went 10-2 in 2014. But yes- we will be favored in at least 10 and probably 11 games

vCash
    I'm just curious to see how we grasp the new system on both offense and defense. That's why I'm hesitant to predict anything over 9 wins. That and seeing how Fitz recovers from his injury. We've got a little tougher schedule than we did this past year too.

vCash
    Just cant go 8-4 with the kind of team we have in 2018. It will be the best one of my lifetime- and thats getting close to half a century.

Top 5 DL in the Country with depth
    Top 10 OL in the Country with depth
    2 QB's
    Good RB's
    Good LB's
    Good Safeteys
    More talent at WR
    CB questions to answer.

Our 2018 team is Auburn 2017. Great in the trenches and good enough at the rest to compete for the SEC title

Only game we wont be favored in 2018 is at Bama.
    I agree. I also have watched enough of JoMo offense to know the dude attack?s defenses. He isn?t gonna tuck his balls in against anyone. We may not win every game but I bet we don?t cower on offense like we have at times in the past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    We've got a little tougher schedule than we did this past year too.
    We played 3 top 10 teams in 2017- two on the road. We won't do that in 2018.

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    thing that worries me is offense having a bad night early while everybody is still getting on the same page. somewhere I heard PSU struggled in the first few games adjusting to his offense. Our defense should be able to win us the first 4 games by themselves, hopefully the offense will be well-oiled by the Mullen game.

Moorhead seems to value a QB that can make quick reads & Fitz has plenty of experience making those reads so I think he'll adapt quickly. Seems like most of Dan's RPOs were at the LOS though, not sure how often he read the safety. Dan said Dak was a graduate level QB in his offense as a RS SR. This is Fitz' year to be a graduate level QB but it's kind of like he switched majors & is taking a semester off (I know he's not really taking the spring off).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post
    thing that worries me is offense having a bad night early while everybody is still getting on the same page. somewhere I heard PSU struggled in the first few games adjusting to his offense. Our defense should be able to win us the first 4 games by themselves, hopefully the offense will be well-oiled by the Mullen game.

Moorhead seems to value a QB that can make quick reads & Fitz has plenty of experience making those reads so I think he'll adapt quickly. Seems like most of Dan's RPOs were at the LOS though, not sure how often he read the safety. Dan said Dak was a graduate level QB in his offense as a RS SR. This is Fitz' year to be a graduate level QB but it's kind of like he switched majors & is taking a semester off (I know he's not really taking the spring off).
    A) Fitz is a graduate and will be taking fewer classes. More study and film time for him
    B) We will still be a Spread Option team
    C) We have an experienced, physical OL. We dont have to be tricky early on and can rely on our OL while the QB/WR's grow into the offense
    D) Having a veteran OL will hope JoMo adapt to SEC the speed on the DL's he only sees when playing Ohio State

vCash
    10 wins is the floor? LOL! All new staff and schemes. Y’all counting on freshmen WRs and a juco transfer. Don’t know if Fitz is good after injury. Our corners still aren’t strong. 8 is the floor. 10+ is if everything goes about perfect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    I'm just curious to see how we grasp the new system on both offense and defense. That's why I'm hesitant to predict anything over 9 wins. That and seeing how Fitz recovers from his injury. We've got a little tougher schedule than we did this past year too.
    I'm not too worried about it because of the experience our players have. It looks to me from my untrained eye that the major difference between Dan and Joe's offense is the pass route system- our WR's are mostly new and were going to have to learn our offense anyway. We also have a WR coach who sounds like a WR guru. I expect Nick to run it less which may be a good thing- it was pretty common for our QB to get banged up if not hurt under Dan. Fitz broke his leg and that is an injury that even non-athletes are normally able to recover from in a few months.

I think we have an advantage because Joe's offense is pretty unique and I don't think very many if any of the teams on our schedule have seen it or know quite how to defend it. I also think/hope we will be playing the best guys on both sides of the ball for the first time in awhile- which was a big reason why Dan failed to pull off very many upsets I think.

Our guys have switched schemes every year since 2014 so they're used to it by now.

I agree with Coach about the schedule. We had to play three NYD 6 teams last year including 2 on the road. K-State worries me becasue they are a good team and that could be a trap game for us on the road. Otherwise I like how the schedule sets up for the most part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    10 wins is the floor? Yes it is...LOL! All new staff and schemes- absolutely, will do nothing but make us better. Y’all counting on freshmen WRs and a juco transfer- 2 of whom are going thru Spring plus Dear, Mixon, Todd, and Couch getting better. Plus Jesse J can play some. Don’t know if Fitz is good after injury- he has 9 full months to recover before he plays a snap- and KT can also win a game if needed. . Our corners still aren’t strong- this is correct. 8 is the floor- 8 wins would be the same as this year with 17 starters returning next year. That would be complete underachievement. Look what Georgia did with 17 starters returning? 10+ is if everything goes about perfect.
    answers in bold

vCash
    our defense switched schemes in 2017 and it didnt seem to bother them did it?

We will do at least 50% of the same things under JoMo that we did under Mullen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    10 wins is the floor? LOL! All new staff and schemes. Y’all counting on freshmen WRs and a juco transfer. Don’t know if Fitz is good after injury. Our corners still aren’t strong. 8 is the floor. 10+ is if everything goes about perfect.
    Not necessarily on the WR's- I could see Todd and Couch making big strides under Getsy. He's the guy they need. Add in the talent- and it will be an upgrade. Heath is an UA AA and Jason probably should have been. There is no reason why they shouldn't have the same impact a typical freshman WR at Ole Miss should have in year one.

If Fitz doesn't recover from this injury, our training staff should be fired. Like immediately. I'm in healthcare and a student should be able to help Fitz adequately recover. Much less a pro that has been doing it for years. There is no reason to worry about it. Plus when I saw Fit walking around at the Gator Bowl with a boot on and no crutches- that's a very good sign and means he is ahead of the curve on recovering.

Our corners aren't that bad. Peters will get drafted and has a lot of experience and makes plays. Dantzler had some good moments and was just a freshman. He will get even better as his career goes along. Brian Cole was an Army AA and might be an option as well. More importantly they're going to have a badass front seven applying pressure and causing havoc which should make their job easier.