Thread: For those that hunt, what camo do you wear?

vCash

For those that hunt, what camo do you wear?

I heard a compelling argument the other day from a lifelong bulldog and supporter. He wears one brand only and voiced his reason as to why that's the case. He was very animated and compelling as to his reasoning behind it. It has me wondering how many MSU supporters felt the same as this fella.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogtheMS View Post
    I heard a compelling argument the other day from a lifelong bulldog and supporter. He wears one brand only and voiced his reason as to why that's the case. He was very animated and compelling as to his reasoning behind it. It has me wondering how many MSU supporters felt the same as this fella.
    SapperDawg turned me on to this stuff. It's easily be best I've worn. I really like the Merino wool.

I don't wear their socks, though. I buy Darn Tough socks. Merino wool, lifetime warranty. Excellent socks.

Darn Tough Socks
    Last edited by jbjones; 11-04-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: forgot about socks

vCash
    For me, it is less about the actual ?camo? as the gear aspect of the clothing system. It has to be performance fabric - not cotton. I am a run and gun hunter here in North AL, primarily in the mountains, but also spend lots of time on small rivers and stream in the yak getting to my spots. I also hunt out west for elk and other species.

I only want one set of gear, so my system has be adaptale to all those situations, and it has to be packable. I chose First Lite first on the reccomendation of Steve Rinella, and then after speaking at length to their product folks in MT two years ago, went all in.

The FL system is completely layerable, and is sized as such....so if you wear a medium, buy medium in everyting and they will fit together in the layering system.

If your primary style of hunting is to sit in a box blind, they have something for you as well. The Sanctuary or Woodbury jackets and bibs are the warmest I have ever worn, and are 100% worth every penny.

They have multiple sales throughout the year, so when you get started dont get turned off by the sticker shock. It is pricey, but worth it. I have embraced the buy-once, cry-once mentality....and since I spend so much time hunting the backcounty solo, my gear needs to keep me alive should something happen.

Regarding the camo, both the Fusion and Cipher patterns they have are awesome. I have pretty much converted all my stuff to Fusion, but also have an ASAT set as well. I also have some pine colored items for normal wearing (puffy, rain jacket).

I am happy to provide specific reccomendations on their gear if you have questions on a specific item - I have it and can take photos - or be willing to put together my reccomendations on a set from them for your type of hunting.
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 11-04-2017 at 09:57 AM.

vCash
    Are you referring to Camo patterns? As in the fact that one major pattern (MO) was started by a bulldog and another (RT) was started by a rebel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Are you referring to Camo patterns? As in the fact that one major pattern (MO) was started by a bulldog and another (RT) was started by a rebel?
    His argument was exactly this. I've known about the beginnings of both companies for a long time. I wear some the summer weight material MO for turkey season and early bow. Think it called tibbee2. It's good stuff.
    This fellas argument was that as a MSU fan, he should do everything in his power to support the companies that support MSU. He made some very good points about it. I got a good laugh out of the other state fans and grads there squirming in their RT.

vCash
    I'll support MO just because it is a MS company, and I am originally from WP. However, the majority of camo in my opinion is for the eyes of the hunter and not the game. (What looks good at the hunting camp) If you just break up your outline in most cases, deer hunting, you are fine. Hell, before Chuck Adams sold out to RT, he only bow hunted in plaid shirts and jeans. He made sure that something was behind him to break up his outline, and his scent was gone. Smell is the key over camo.

vCash
    Never cared for RT camo, and never knew an OM grad started to company. Been a MO guy for a long time but I began the conversion to FL this year, not because of camo, more for the reasons Sapper mentioned. I’m using the Cipher pattern and think it blends well in the elk woods and in the MS swamps I hunt late in the year. Now, with all of that being said, demdawgs’ statement about outline is true. The two best elk hunters I know wear navy blue coveralls over their jeans and ranch shirts and wear leather work gloves over their hands...

vCash
    I don't hunt out West or anything. My favorite pattern has always been the old bottomland. It can be hard to find these days.

vCash
    I don't hunt out West or anything. My favorite pattern has always been the old bottomland. It can be hard to find these days.
    It’s making a comeback. Almost all of my duck hunting gear is now bottomland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    It’s making a comeback. Almost all of my duck hunting gear is now bottomland.
    I actually did just pick up a fishing style shirt in bottomland at Academy and killed a deer while wearing it this weekend. Maybe that bottomland is the ticket....time to get some pants!

vCash
    I actually did just pick up a fishing style shirt in bottomland at Academy and killed a deer while wearing it this weekend. Maybe that bottomland is the ticket....time to get some pants!
    Keep an eye on the store at mossyoak.com. They are $35 right now. I snagged some for about $20 last year right before turkey season.

vCash
    For turkey hunting, I will wear a dark camo, like the old bottom land or fall break up, for the pants. I'll will wear the MO spring camo for the shirt. It blends well while sitting by a tree or new leaf saplings. The old bottomland was the best all around camo.

vCash
    I'm all in on Bottomland for everything. It isn't hard to find at all. Mossy oak online store is full of it. They actually had a sale a couple of weeks ago and i got a ton of stuff for a like 30-40% off.

vCash
    If you're deer hunting with a rifle in MS, you're wasting your money on all that crap. Likey with all the scent killer stuff too.

vCash
    I still use realtree all purpose, yes I know it has been around, but I spent some serious money on this in thinsulate and goretex for Hunting Elk in the Rockies. When I hunt in Mississippi it is in a blind an I only care if it is warm.

vCash
    Filson. Color brown.
    Cap: Stormy Kromer wool

vCash
    for duck hunting a filson waxed jacket and columbia yazoo hat in old shadow grass. turkeys bottomland