Thread: O.T. cuz 34 OK's. Why John Bonham was Rock's greatest. Not even close.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Need to break the drummers down in to categories because "rock" can be broken down into 50+ genres itself. And you can't really compare the drumming of someone like Ringo to the drumming of Joey Jordison. What are we looking for in "greatest" rock drummer? For me it's as much about being original and creative and having your own distinct style of play as it is playing difficult things. I've seen drummers play fast as hell but struggled with slow songs. Ringo isn't one of my favorites, but I respect him because he played his music perfectly and I don't mean that in a technical way, he just played exactly what needed to be played on each song. To me you're great when a song comes on the radio and you know who's playing drums even before you know what band it is. This is what separates the Pearts, Barkers, Carreys, Hawkins and Ringos of the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    Need to break the drummers down in to categories because "rock" can be broken down into 50+ genres itself. And you can't really compare the drumming of someone like Ringo to the drumming of Joey Jordison. What are we looking for in "greatest" rock drummer? For me it's as much about being original and creative and having your own distinct style of play as it is playing difficult things. I've seen drummers play fast as hell but struggled with slow songs. Ringo isn't one of my favorites, but I respect him because he played his music perfectly and I don't mean that in a technical way, he just played exactly what needed to be played on each song. To me you're great when a song comes on the radio and you know who's playing drums even before you know what band it is. This is what separates the Pearts, Barkers, Carreys, Hawkins and Ringos of the world.
    Great post.

vCash
    The cool thing about drummers though, is that even "simple" guys like Ringo can have huge influences:

And I can't believe I left Stewart Copeland off my list - so I revise mine:

1) Peart
    -gap-
    2) Bonham
    3) Copeland
    -gap-
    everyone else

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Great post. Just like with rock guitar, technical proficiency and speed on drums can make for some impressive solos, but they won't necessarily make you a great rock drummer. Ringo's a solid example. Another's Nick Mason of Pink Floyd. I have no doubt that Bonham, Peart, Ginger Baker, and a host of others could drum circles around Mason in many ways. But his style was perfect for his band -- rolling but understated waves of rhythm, probably a touch behind the beat, that added a sort of slow-motion, liquidized layer to the atmosphere that they were creating on their records. Steve Shelley of Sonic Youth comes to mind. His sound, both in fills and throughout Sonic Youth's choruses, verses, and noise collages, has always stood out to me. I don't think just any drummer, even technically gifted speed demons, could do what he did in a band like that.

One of my favs that no one has mentioned is Mitch Mitchell from the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Maybe more jazzy in style like Ginger Baker or Robert Wyatt (whose drumming with the Soft Machine back in the day was pretty damn stout, too), but nonetheless a classic rock drummer. I was always just as impressed listening to his drum parts as I was with Moon and Bonham.

vCash
    For most discussions like this, "rock" = anything not overly classical, nor the strictly jazz guys. But def hard to pigeonhole this subject.

Always loved a rock solid 2&4 drummer, but just couldn't get into Ringo's style. I'd take a Charlie Watts any day over somebody like him.

Bonzo just made everything groove and swing. Everything. Peart, Mangini, Portnoy, Jordison, etc...just robotic with no feel, to me. Bonham's parts were so creative and musical...never too much, never too tight. How a drummer can be loose and tight at the same time, I can't really explain, but JB pulled it off. Even his solos were musical...and I freaking hate most drum solos. Snore.

(respect to NP tho. His A Show Of Hands solo is quite nice for a hit-lots-of-stuff-fast bit)