Thread: Phil Steele's offensive rankings brings some sobering info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Buy or sell: Our WR roster has reached Sly Croom levels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Buy or sell: Our WR roster has reached Sly Croom levels.
    Soft sell. At least we have 1 decent option in Gray. Our TE's will help that group as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Soft sell. At least we have 1 decent option in Gray. Our TE's will help that group as well.
    "One decent Option" has been our DNA since I have been a Dawg. McDole, nobody else. Glenn Young, nobody else (Danny Knight was a wingback), Sherrill never had two WR's who played consistent together. It was the one glaring weakness I had hoped, along with QB's, that Mullen would fix.

I hope they get more out of this group than what we see now. I do not understand for the life of me why we do not address this position. OL, plenty of theories on that issue. WR's, there are too many kids out there that can play the position in this offense to not have a stable full of potential. A good to great college WR does not have to be an NFL prototype in the spread.

Truly hope we are pleasantly surprised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgowar View Post
    "One decent Option" has been our DNA since I have been a Dawg. McDole, nobody else. Glenn Young, nobody else (Danny Knight was a wingback), Sherrill never had two WR's who played consistent together. It was the one glaring weakness I had hoped, along with QB's, that Mullen would fix.

I hope they get more out of this group than what we see now. I do not understand for the life of me why we do not address this position. OL, plenty of theories on that issue. WR's, there are too many kids out there that can play the position in this offense to not have a stable full of potential. A good to great college WR does not have to be an NFL prototype in the spread.

WR in Mullen's offense is similar to RB, you have to be able to block to get on the field. One thing that Bear did as a freshman was he blocked the shit out of DBs.

vCash

Didn't go back far enough ..

"One decent Option" has been our DNA since I have been a Dawg.
    You have to go way back to '67, '68 to find Sammy Milner and David Smith receiving and 'All SEC QB' Tommy Pharr. Y'all young'ens have 'no clue' just HOW really bad MSU football was 'before Jackie & Dan. Anyone complaining about ANY winning season needs to go read about the '60's. It's real sobering

To emphasize how bad State, and its offense in particular, was in 1967, in LSU's 55-0 win over State, the Tigers' 55 points in that one game was more than State scored all season, 49.

1968 was a wide open, colorful season. The conference season started with the defending SEC Champion (Tennessee) tying the eventual SEC champion (Georgia) 17-17 on a two point conversion after time had expired, and the conference season ended with the AP first team All-SEC quarterback's team tying the following season's AP first team All-SEC quarterback's team 17-17** . Tommy Pharr of winless Mississippi State was named AP first team All-SEC in 1968. The Bulldogs posted an 0-8-2 mark. The Bullies failed to win a game, yet their quarterback was first team All-SEC. And, deservedly so. Pharr had a tremendous season in '68.

**Archie was a Soph; MSU LOST a home game to LaTech and QB Terry Bradshaw. MSU tied OM 17-17 and students partied like it was a Sugar Bowl win. It WAS that bad.
    Last edited by BiscuitEater; 07-03-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: format
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    You have to go way back to '67, '68 to find Sammy Milner and David Smith receiving and 'All SEC QB' Tommy Pharr. Y'all young'ens have 'no clue' just HOW really bad MSU football was 'before Jackie & Dan. Anyone complaining about ANY winning season needs to go read about the '60's. It's real sobering

To emphasize how bad State, and its offense in particular, was in 1967, in LSU's 55-0 win over State, the Tigers' 55 points in that one game was more than State scored all season, 49.

1968 was a wide open, colorful season. The conference season started with the defending SEC Champion (Tennessee) tying the eventual SEC champion (Georgia) 17-17 on a two point conversion after time had expired, and the conference season ended with the AP first team All-SEC quarterback's team tying the following season's AP first team All-SEC quarterback's team 17-17** . Tommy Pharr of winless Mississippi State was named AP first team All-SEC in 1968. The Bulldogs posted an 0-8-2 mark. The Bullies failed to win a game, yet their quarterback was first team All-SEC. And, deservedly so. Pharr had a tremendous season in '68.

**Archie was a Soph; MSU LOST a home game to LaTech and QB Terry Bradshaw. MSU tied OM 17-17 and students partied like it was a Sugar Bowl win. It WAS that bad.
    Thankfully I was spared the carnage by being moved around the country as a Navy brat. Heard the misery of one side (MSU) and the 'This is the year' BS of the other whenever we came home for the summers. That went on from about 1967 to my HS Graduation in '81. We lived in Mississippi one year while Dad was in 'Nam the first go around. That was the season Archie got hurt. Wasn't too into football apart from the Dallas Cowboys then. Staubach was Navy, Dad was Navy. That's all it took. But I do truly appreciate where this university has been and how far it has been built.

We didn't even have lights in the stadium when I was there. They brought in portable ones for two games that were televised. That was so exciting - us being on TV, that half of us went home to say we SAW MSU on TV LOL. Good times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post

Lord, I remember Bisquit, I started MSU in 1973. But we still loved them boys.

vCash

Sherrill had Harris and Truitt, and Moulds and Jones as combos
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times