Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great read on MLB and college baseball potential changes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    A lot of those HOF guys played and lived in the 1800's and lived in eras where college baseball was just another option along with semi-pro ball and whatever else and wherever else scouts could find you. I think Babe Ruth was found at an orphanage.

I think more guys are pushed to college probably because the system has improved and scouting may be better than it was in years past so they have a better idea of who should go where and that sort of thing. Maybe Perfect Game has helped with that because now everyone is for the most part funneled into one place rather than spread out all of the world literally.
    Nah. It's still that way today. Most of the best players in MLB signed out of high school.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Why not do away with the Florida Gulf Coast League and the Arizona League? Does anyone besides scouts and the team personnel ever attend those games anyway? It seems like it's mostly high school guys and Dominican prospects- and the American high school guys would be in college.

But is this a speculation gee life would be nice article or is this a "something that MLB is considering" article? It sounds to me like something MLB is considering the way he wrote it. I mean they could have the draft Tues, Weds, Thurs. before the SR and it wouldn't conflict with any college baseball games.
    Because those leagues are the back bone of player development. Manuel's idea is dumb and would cost people a ton of jobs, money, etc.

It won't happen. The system is fine the way it is. Baseball just has a tougher time than football or basketball due to when the season falls during the year.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    Man, it's not even close to the same thing. You are just wrong on this one. Those developmental leagues you are talking about are for fringe players that most will never be quality players in their leagues. The top players will never see those leagues. However, every single player drafted in MLB will play in the minors. Most will be there at least 4 years before making it up.

Also a 6 team football league is in no way, shape, or form similar to a 6-tiered minor league system.

You're also talking about players not actually getting paid real money in salary until they are 25-26 years old whereas in NBA players make real money at 19 and in NFL at 21-22. As I said, it's a completely different situation.
    The Cardinals are about to have two "quality players" in Delvin Perez and Terry Fuller (once he signs) on their GCL team.

I never said that the NBDL or any NFL developmental league was the same- just that those leagues were considering or trying to start their own leagues.

A lot of those players have to wait until they are 25-26 to make real money anyway whether they are in high school or college as it is now.

vCash
    I sure don't pretend to know how it all works, but the biggest thing that has always seemed to hurt MSU baseball more than others is losing players like Kruger and Lowe. I can understand anyone going pro for more than $400k, but losing players for less than $200k is tough, especially experienced starters. After taxes and student loan debt, you don't have enough left to buy a used Range Rover.

Along the same lines, what are the chances of a player drafted outside the top 25 rounds making it to the bigs? What are the chances of them playing pro ball more than 3 years? If you consider every MLB team signs, essentially, a whole new team every year, that means that 30+ guys in a farm system have to be cut to make room every year. I can't help but wonder why MLB teams bother with those last 10 rounds. Seems like it would be a better strategy to focus on drafting 20-25 players and be done with it.

vCash
    What does this do to the players that come out of central america and places like that. Places where getting NCAA eligible is damn near impossible because they basically don't have high school that is really available?

vCash
    If the NFL has no problem doing it and even the NBA has no problem doing it for at least their freshman year then MLB should have no problem with it. It's their product.
    What on earth is the incentive for MLB to do it? I imagine they are entirely fine with the current setup. It is a great setup, and there's a reason so many people's solution for the NBA is 'do it like baseball does.'

19- and 20-year old guys are not ready for the NFL. Far more are ready for MLB, and there is already a perfect system for developing young guys.

Again, why would MLB do that?

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    The Cardinals are about to have two "quality players" in Delvin Perez and Terry Fuller (once he signs) on their GCL team.

I never said that the NBDL or any NFL developmental league was the same- just that those leagues were considering or trying to start their own leagues.

A lot of those players have to wait until they are 25-26 to make real money anyway whether they are in high school or college as it is now.
    This was your quote: "If the NFL has no problem doing it and even the NBA has no problem doing it for at least their freshman year then MLB should have no problem with it. It's their product." So while not implicitly saying that it is the same, you are implying that they are similar enough to do the same thing. And that is just not true at all.

But yes, a lot of guys wait until 25-26 for the real money, but not all of them. Some guys make it as early as 19, but based on your suggestion, they will have to wait until at least 22, which is not right.

I like the rule that once you come to a 4-year, you must stay for 3 years, but I definitely don't think you should make all players go for 3 years. If anything that I would want changed, it would be the JUCO rules, but that's just me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    What on earth is the incentive for MLB to do it? I imagine they are entirely fine with the current setup. It is a great setup, and there's a reason so many people's solution for the NBA is 'do it like baseball does.'

19- and 20-year old guys are not ready for the NFL. Far more are ready for MLB, and there is already a perfect system for developing young guys.

Again, why would MLB do that?
    There have been a few articles out about how only roughly 4% of MLB players have a degree and also some issues with MLB transitioning back into the "real world" after baseball because of their lack of education. MLB has been looking for ways to try to solve it and encouraging more players to go to school is a logical way to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    This was your quote: "If the NFL has no problem doing it and even the NBA has no problem doing it for at least their freshman year then MLB should have no problem with it. It's their product." So while not implicitly saying that it is the same, you are implying that they are similar enough to do the same thing. And that is just not true at all.

But yes, a lot of guys wait until 25-26 for the real money, but not all of them. Some guys make it as early as 19, but based on your suggestion, they will have to wait until at least 22, which is not right.

I like the rule that once you come to a 4-year, you must stay for 3 years, but I definitely don't think you should make all players go for 3 years. If anything that I would want changed, it would be the JUCO rules, but that's just me.
    That's just how you are taking that quote. All I was implying is that if the other major sports use college as a major source of talent MLB would be OK doing the same and should work more closely with college baseball because it would benefit both. That's where a majority of their American players are coming from anyway. Whether you look at it per capita or however else you want to look at it.

I don't think it's wrong to have to wait to make money. That's how it is for a lot of people. Ask doctor's about their residences and how much they make on them before making real money.

vCash
    That's just how you are taking that quote. All I was implying is that if the other major sports use college as a major source of talent MLB would be OK doing the same and should work more closely with college baseball because it would benefit both. That's where a majority of their American players are coming from anyway. Whether you look at it per capita or however else you want to look at it.

I don't think it's wrong to have to wait to make money. That's how it is for a lot of people. Ask doctor's about their residences and how much they make on them before making real money.
    If college baseball players could major in Baseball Studies, then I would agree. Otherwise these are all bullsh*t comparisons. If doctor's went to school for engineering and learned how to be a great doctor on the side, then it would be a better comparison.