Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Kendall Rogers just laid the two names out there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I've heard the guy at UNC was a serious candidate. And the guy at Oklahoma St
    Fox is like 60 years old. He won't be our coach. Will NOT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm leaning Bohanon or Deggs. AL just polished that turd of a stadium but it's still AL and they don't care about baseball. Deggs would be all over it and he was on the list the last time. Johnson would be the wildcard. The trump card is McDonnell though. Nobody knows how the issues at UL affect him. I still think it's a major long shot though.
    I hard heard that McDonnell was close to the ousted AD Tom Jurich, but I had been curious about the extent of their athletic department's "issues" (beyond just the FBI investigation). After slumming on the UL Boards before and after the Final Four game, I came across this post and article which shed some more light on the situation. The TL;DR version is that the UofL Board of Trustees has taken final approval of hiring coaches away from their to-be-discontinued Athletics Association board, and the chairman of said BoT has said that athletics takes too much focus from academics.

While that sentiment about academics being the priority is not necessarily inappropriate for someone in his position, it could make it more difficult for the AD to significantly increase the salary of a highly paid coach in a non-revenue sport. Louisville under Jurich and the previous UofL president were going all-in on athletics, and it seems like that may no longer be the case, which could work in our favor if Cohen approaches McDonnell. Maybe not enough to move the needle, but it can't hurt
    Last edited by AusTexDawg; 04-02-2018 at 01:57 PM.

vCash
    From the D1 Baseball chat this afternoon, Kendall dropped Cliff Godwin's name into the candidate pool:

Comment From Andy from NOLA: Kendall, you’ve been somewhat cryptic the last 2 chats on the Miss St job. You sound like you’re in the know as to the leading candidate(s). Then, last week when talking about the Rice job, you said Saarloos would be a good candidate, “if he’s not already the head coach there.” Are you hearing/implying that Schloss is the leading candidate at MSU? Would he go if offered? Is he losing traction with the way TCU’s season is going?
    Kendall Rogers: NOLA — You are a smart guy. I think MSU would be foolish not to reach out to guys like Schlossnagle and McDonnell at this point. I think money would be a concern, but I think both would at least listen to MSU. One guy who is quickly rising up my board for the Miss State job is Cliff Godwin. He has ties to a lot of SEC coaches and would be an outstanding hire for State. But obviously, if you could get Schloss/McDonnell, you’d have to make that hire. I think both with will get calls in June.
    Comment From Glen: Kendall you say there’s a lot of interest in the Mississippi State job now, but where was the interest 15 months ago when Cohen stepped down. Why did Cohen not go after a experienced coach then. Timing wasn’t great but it was still the off season.
    Kendall Rogers: Glen — No coach is going to leave in November when he’s at a premier program, and State was still in the limbo with the new ballpark at that point. The ballpark was a huge huge selling point. With that said, I’ll say this on the elite targets — I wouldn’t get my hopes up until a deal is completely done. Remember, Texas had Pat Casey and Paul Mainieri in its cross-hairs, and then nothing. Kevin O’Sullivan was a candidate — then nothing. You get the drill ….
    Comment From Scott: Do you think Cohen/MSU will offer $2M a year for a blockbuster name? Also, do you see the four-year contract rule hindering the search (No public employee in Mississippi can have a contract exceeding four years in length)?
    Kendall Rogers: Scott — No on the latter, and there’s zero chance Cohen is paying a baseball coach $2 million a year. MSU doesn’t have that kind of money to throw around and the football coach is making 2.7 million. I do think John could go north of a million, though.
    Last edited by AusTexDawg; 04-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTexDawg View Post
    From the D1 Baseball chat this afternoon, Kendall dropped Cliff Godwin's name into the candidate pool:
    Cliff Godwin is going to make someone a heck of a baseball coach sooner rather than later. It's odd how Kendall has backed off his bold talk from a few weeks ago. I'm sticking with Tadlock until something changes. As of right now scouts he's close to think tadlocks the guy.

Banned
    vCash
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Godwin

I like Godwin's resume. what I find kinda funny though is his mug shot. looks like the guy could be a mafia hit man thug type. yet check this out:

In addition to his playing career at East Carolina, Godwin also graduated magna cum laude in 2000 with a Bachelor of Science in management information systems, and went on to earn his MBA from ECU in 2002. He was a two-time Academic All-American selection during his time as a player.[1]

this guy has proven that he is an elite recruiter and a damned good coach.

Banned
    vCash
    oh, and Godwin's making $270K. double that and we get him one would think.

http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2016/07...extension.html

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Cliff Godwin is going to make someone a heck of a baseball coach sooner rather than later. It's odd how Kendall has backed off his bold talk from a few weeks ago. I'm sticking with Tadlock until something changes. As of right now scouts he's close to think tadlocks the guy.
    I just wished I knew how these Kendall Rogers types get their info and how reliable it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    oh, and Godwin's making $270K. double that and we get him one would think.

http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2016/07...extension.html
    If we want this guy, he’ll come I believe. I’m trusting Cohen in this hire.

vCash
    Why did Cliff Godwin leave LSU for UCF?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTexDawg View Post
    Thoughts:

Andy from NOLA- Irony at it's finest.

As far as Godwin notice he says "Cliff Godwin is rising up MY board." Godwin isn't a candidate at this point.

Agree about not getting hopes up until a deal is done but Cohen wouldn't be talking like he is if he didn't have a good candidate in place.

Actually, I think we would pay 2 million for the right coach. That's probably about as high as we'll go though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Thoughts:

Andy from NOLA- Irony at it's finest.

As far as Godwin notice he says "Cliff Godwin is rising up MY board." Godwin isn't a candidate at this point.

Agree about not getting hopes up until a deal is done but Cohen wouldn't be talking like he is if he didn't have a good candidate in place.

Actually, I think we would pay 2 million for the right coach. That's probably about as high as we'll go though.
    I think $1.8-2 million would get McDonnell. But I don’t think Kendall Rogers knows shit about what we are willing to pay anyone. We would have paid JoMo more but he wanted to take a cut to pay his assistants more. Hell, we paid Mullen $4.75 million and were willing to go up to $6 million to keep him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I think $1.8-2 million would get McDonnell. But I don?t think Kendall Rogers knows shit about what we are willing to pay anyone. We would have paid JoMo more but he wanted to take a cut to pay his assistants more. Hell, we paid Mullen $4.75 million and were willing to go up to $6 million to keep him.
    On top of that, as much as we are optimistic about what Moorhead will do for our football program, he is not a proven D1 head coach, McDonnell however is. In relative terms to other baseball coaches, McDonnell should warrant a significantly higher salary than what we paid Moorhead relative to other football coaches.

vCash
    I think $1.8-2 million would get McDonnell. But I don’t think Kendall Rogers knows shit about what we are willing to pay anyone. We would have paid JoMo more but he wanted to take a cut to pay his assistants more. Hell, we paid Mullen $4.75 million and were willing to go up to $6 million to keep him.
    This isn't about money. And who we hire won't be. We will pay whatever we need to get whoever we get. But they aren't turning us down bc of amount we offer.

vCash
    We aren’t hiring Godwin.

vCash
    Exactly. I don't think we would throw 2 million right there out on the table to start with. I could see us going 1.4 or whatever depending on the salary and if Louisville or whoever matches then we go up from there.

vCash
    Yea I do not get the correlation by Moorhead making 2.75 million and not being able to pay top dollar for a baseball coach. We were paying Mullen 5 million. If anything, we can spend more on a baseball coach now since we are getting Moorhead at a discount.

vCash
    We spent what $50 million on a new baseball stadium but we can’t afford to pay a baseball coach $2 million? What a joke of a comment that was. It’s almost like he forgot we were in the SEC and we don’t have SEC Network money and we are still just poor ol Mississippi State...

vCash
    The thing about the $50 million stadium is it is not really any more that our competition are spending. We spent enough to keep pace (but built a much better stadium in the process)

Kentucky spent $49 million
    Florida is spending $45.8
    Bama spent $42

So just saying we spent $50 million on a stadium doesn't translate to us being more willing to outspend everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    The thing about the $50 million stadium is it is not really any more that our competition are spending. We spent enough to keep pace (but built a much better stadium in the process)

Kentucky spent $49 million
    Florida is spending $45.8
    Bama spent $42

So just saying we spent $50 million on a stadium doesn't translate to us being more willing to outspend everyone else.
    No, but it does mean we can afford $2M for a coach, which is what Kendall Rogers was saying we couldn't. Posters here aren't saying "We can do 2M and nobody else can!", they're saying "We can do 2M"

vCash
    I'll be honest- if ANYONE is going to pay a baseball coach 2 million it's going to be MSU.

Everyone associated with MSU wants a NC in baseball and I think we're going to try to do everything we can to get one. Even if that means overpaying for a quality coach.