Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
Too lazy to look it up, but Dan didn't break Jackie's record for # of victories I don't think. If he had stayed one more year, I am sure he would have. I just found Jackie to be more down to earth and genuine. Have a picture of him holding my 3 month old son at a summer get together, ( he turned 17 this past week). It was a lot harder to make it to a bowl game while Jackie was our coach, wasn't "500 bowl games" back then and fewer regular season games. I appreciated the good things and places Dan took us, but it always seemed to be about him at the end of the past 6 seasons ( 4 losses to UNM), when the annual job search started. I'm sure his ex-players think of him as you do Jackie, but I think it became too much about him instead of State.
Dan Mullen's record 69-46 Bowl record 5-2 Highest ranking #1

Jackie Wayne record 74-76 bowl record 2-4 Highest ranking #8

I respect your opinion but that screams Mullen is better to me. People also forget Mullen had two players die during his tenure just like Jackie. He was also down to earth. He's great to former players encouraging them to come back. After Sherill there was no connection.
I've said it several times and I'll keep saying it. Mullen reminded me alot of Jackie. They are similar. This thread started on the premise of negative recruiting. Jackie' s tactics were a whole lot worse. I remember him saying there has never been a kid of he wanted him to commit he could. He wasn't the clown master for nothing..lol.